Taomeow

Stranger things

12 hours ago, Nungali said:

Where are these better locations ? 

( and dont say Mars )

Don't you think a bit warming for many places is welcome?    Putin said it would nice for Siberia and pollution would be reduced when less heating is necessary.  

• Sad 2

On 14-2-2024 at 5:52 PM, silent thunder said:

That's an intense one blue eyed snake!

I recall winters as a young child with snow drifts regularly reaching the roof of our two story home.  The straight winds of the plains would hard pack one side of the house shut up tight for the season.

We used to dig out the second floor window of my bedroom and sled down from it:P

When you'd open the front door, the snow made a perfect molded negative of it.

Back then the snow would hit in late October, often making Halloween costumes irrelevant and we'd be in snow until late March when the thaw would hit.  That was the 70's.  By the late 80's snowfall began to noticeably decline and by the time I left Minnesota in 93... we were lucky if snow hung around for 3 days after a fall.  Many brown Solstice from about 89 on...

't were amounts of snow so unusual that it was hard to deal with. the area is flat so snow-dunes formed, railroads and highways were blocked by snow dunes. The army was called to restore accessibility so that at least doctors and nurse could go to isolated villages and food could be transported.

It took 2 months until the snow-dunes were shoveled away enough for me so that i could go home by train without having to fear being stuck halfway.

• Wow 2

On 14-2-2024 at 10:19 PM, Nungali said:

... all totally alien to me !

What happens when all this snow melts ?    Lots of slushy mud  ? 

slush, lots of brownish slush.

swish, swash, swush when you walk through it splish splash

as a kid in winter i walked to school wearing wellies and a pair of light dry indoors shoes was waiting there for me. I guess that was the rule, remember rows of wellies standing on old newspapers.

oh, and a shoesack for the indoorshoes, yes. that was hanging on the coatrack.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Master Logray said:

Don't you think a bit warming for many places is welcome? 

Certainly .... Antarctica is cold be 'welcome' to warm that up ?

Putin said it would nice for Siberia and pollution would be reduced when less heating is necessary.  

Are you being serious ?  I should listen to Putin on climate change ?   I have heard some Siberians  where 'welcoming it ' , they are doing two crops a year now instead of one ... great !  Except  a lot of their houses and infrastructure ( including roads and railway ) is on permafrost , do you understand the implications of that melting ?    Pollution would drop will it ? Do you understand the consequences of the accelerating methane  releases into the atmosphere ?   And do you think the Siberian ; " Warmer tonight dont need to light fire ."  will cancel out the  excessive 'air con' and electricity needed to cool down the warmer masses of people that dont live in sparsely populated Siberia ?

But its okay ... everyone can just move  'somewhere else ' .    :rolleyes:

Edited by Nungali

14 minutes ago, Nungali said:

But its okay ... everyone can just move  'somewhere else ' .    :rolleyes:

well, living in a delta, when i was still young I would probably leave here and move to southern Germany before the shit hits the fan, that is last year. But as I am old and can hardly walk I will just stay were I am and observe what happens.

Was reading a bit, scientists think that the northern part of the gulf stream ( it's much more fancied up, this is simplified) will cut off from the big loop with northern Europe becoming very cold as a result.

Can't do anything else but wait and observe, will ask neighbors to get me more chords of wood this summer as a precaution.

Interesting times to say the least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue eyed snake said:

… before the shit hits the fan, that is last year.

What happened last year?

1 hour ago, blue eyed snake said:

… Interesting times to say the least.

That’s why ‘May you live in interesting times’ is a curse. 

Edited by Cobie

6 hours ago, blue eyed snake said:

well, living in a delta, when i was still young I would probably leave here and move to southern Germany before the shit hits the fan, that is last year. But as I am old and can hardly walk I will just stay were I am and observe what happens.

It is not easy for a LOT of people to just 'up and move' .

Was reading a bit, scientists think that the northern part of the gulf stream ( it's much more fancied up, this is simplified) will cut off from the big loop with northern Europe becoming very cold as a result.

The Gulf Stream , or that part of it that warms most of Europe ( The North Atlantic Drift  / Norway Current )  is part of a complex of interrelated  currents that the north pole ice cap interacts with .

Its the ice 'up there'  in the norths crazy floating pole !   Where is the polar continent up there ?   The cap is melting from the top , and all around , in the warmer air and  the warmer water lapping it . But also underneath . It is floating but is also 'deflecting' ocean currents and some of those pass underneath and as they melt from the bottom, all those factors make the ice less and a little lighter , which makes it float higher, and let more warm water underneath , which makes it melt quicker and get lighter and even more water ....   you get my 'drift ' ? 

At the same time, all that melt is cold fresh water , not sea water , it interferes with the density difference of the high warm and deep cool currents . *

Recent News

Feb. 10, 2024, 3:21 AM ET (Yahoo News)

Atlantic Ocean is headed for a tipping point − once melting glaciers shut down the Gulf Stream, we would see extreme ... *

https://www.britannica.com/place/Gulf-Stream

So, if the Gulf Stream breaks down I guess we have to look at similar locations in latitude without a Gulf Stream influence to see what a HUGE section of Europe's weather will be like .  That basically equates to the north east coast of Canada  ... but then again , that severe climate is 'moderated' by the Gulf Stream as well .

But with these ' billiard ball reactions '  , who knows what could happen .

Can't do anything else but wait and observe, will ask neighbors to get me more chords of wood this summer as a precaution.

Interesting times to say the least.

Yep . I have been getting loads of wood delivered through summer  .  Some people wonder why ... then again , we dont have squirrels down here  .  ;)  

I also put in a rainwater tank although I also have a supply from the river , a selection of  rechargeable  tools, new heavy duty large batteries  and an upgraded solar ( did it myself a few years back )   .... why trust the 'system' any more ?

( a while back , I had collect agencies  after me for a bill I had paid ages ago , it was for electricity when I stayed elsewhere for a while . They tried to threaten me with a threat to cut of my power  { you pay the bill first , and we will not cut it off, then if you dispute it and its valid, you will get a refund later  ....      :D    .  I told them to  " Go  ahead and cut my power off now  you ******s, what you gonna do? Park a blimp between my solar panels and the Sun ?  " )

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Cobie said:

What happened last year?

a lot of things, but I meant my younger self would have decided last year that it was time to go abroad and burn my ships behind me

No more bizarre than a whole lot of similarly misdirected but morbidly popular accusations.  

r/Palestinian_Violence - Make it make sense

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Wow 1

You know you're middle aged when you don't know who to support anymore.  Back in the day we were supposed to cheer on feminists.  Big ole dykes, resplendent with piercings and tattoos, would mount bikes and take their rightful place at the head of the parade. Now, sadly, they've all turned into trans-exclusionary Palestinian killers.  A few white ones even traveled to Baja and stole the recipe for flour tortillas, returned to the states where they opened up a culturally appropriating burrito stand.  Fortunately the good people of Portland gave them the heave-ho.  Whew.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to find myself far from the comfortable cultural middleground.  At a time when everyone is trying to find their identity, I'm trying to lose mine.  I've had it for years and what good has it done me?

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

You know you're middle aged when you don't know who to support anymore.  Back in the day we were supposed to cheer on feminists.  Big ole dykes with piercings and tattoos would mount bikes and take their rightful place at the head of the parade. Now, sadly, they've all turned into trans-exclusionary Palestinian killers.  A few white ones even traveled to Baja and stole the recipe for flour tortillas, returned to the states where they opened up a culturally appropriating burrito stand.  Fortunately the good people of Portland gave them the heave-ho.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to find myself far from the comfortable cultural middleground.  At a time when everyone is trying to find their identity, I'm trying to lose mine.  I've had it for years and what good has it done me?

Big ole dykes,

On mountain bikes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Apech said:

Big ole dykes,

On mountain bikes.

Big ole dykes,

On mountain bikes,

Cruisin' down the highway with adopted tykes.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Big ole dykes,

On mountain bikes,

Cruisin' down the highway with adopted tykes.

Tykes like dykes,

Dykes like tykes,

Tykes, bikes, Dykes,

No anomaly,

It’s a family,

They’re in harmony,

Biking, Dyking, Tykes.

Edited by Apech
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nowadays , so many of my female friends are angry about feminists .  In various ways .

Mhe ....  The pendulum was pretty far to the right before , if its gonna swing back, its going to go far left ... then a bit less to the right on the back swing .... hoping for eventual stability .

• Like 1

Today I watched a tree. First one to bloom and around its crown there was an uncountable sum of bees, bumblebees, and hornets as well as different kinds of bees and butterflies. It had a very large “hum” sound around itself. And when the wind blew over it the “hum” changed a bit in the intensity and tone. It was like a different concept, neither just tree, nor just bees and the like. It was sound and energy, and that on a clear focused compressed place and space, while there was such a lot of movement. 

it reminded me of my head at times.

what does meditation do to one’s dopamine and energy system if put to an extreme (however so, I really don’t want to try that - !)?

• Like 2

My cabin is within a grove of big old turpentine trees with two bloodwood sentinels  at the back . In spring when they bloom the whole outer canopy is a cream color . The sound of the bees can be heard as soon as you enter the garden .

have you ever noticed this :   ( relating to your  " It was like a different concept, neither just tree, nor just bees and the like. It was sound and energy, and that on a clear focused compressed place and space, while there was such a lot of movement. " ) all the bugs , bees ,  crickets or anything that can make a sound , even birds ..... all go quiet .    Stillness ..... a moment , short or longer ? Then it slowly starts up again , rises to a crescendo , then slowly back down to stillness , a natural rhythm .

The plants tune into this  the 'loud / silent ' cycle coincides with  ( causes ? ) the stomas in the plants leaf surfaces to open and close

th?id=OIP.jnt3vNlE1YqQULvT8EiG9wAAAA%26p

One way of using this this is to  artificially stimulate the process with a similar sound *   causing the stomas to open , then the plants are sprayed  with H2O plus nutrients  and that enters into the cell , then the sound goes off , stomas close and seal the goddies inside  until they are digested and then the cycle starts again .

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Animal fats got demonized when they learned how to commercially produce seed oils, margarine and other peroxidized goodies.  (Historically these were mostly used for treating wood and leather, making lubricants, and so on, with the exception of some -- which were produced locally in small quantities and consumed within a few days.)  Meanwhile, dairy corporations figured out how lucrative it is to steal fat from dairy while peddling low-fat and fat-free metabolic garbage as a healthy choice.  Studies that showed it's refined sugar and carbs, not fat, that are behind obesity and a lot of degenerative disease had the word "fat" substituted for public consumption due to sugar/carbs lobby's efforts.  The latter got a taste of their own sweet medicine though when manufacturers of artificial sweeteners attacked sugar with an ambitious goal to gradually replace all of it with their own teratogenic offerings -- more dangerous than sugar but a helluva lot cheaper to make.  The "alternative" entrepreneurs then came up with "natural sweeteners" to peddle to those who don't like chemicals --  even though many of those plant-derived sweeteners undergo so many chemical transmogrifications that the final product is about as plant as crude oil and coal which, of course, are plants, or at least started out this way, or at least that's what they taught us in school. 

Scientific nutritional recommendations are every bit as honest and true as any other prostitute's declarations of eternal love to the latest client.

• Like 3

Lard  - pig fat - is supposedly (now) healthy for us .

and the first time I put a dab of artificial sweeter on my tongue , my whole being ;.... 

WRONG !

I just cant do that stuff !

• Like 3

I lean in to the foods that helped my ancestors get me here...  processed foods seemed fine in my earlier decades but at this point they ring alarm bells.

Some are ok occasionally, others are a hard never.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Nungali said:

and the first time I put a dab of artificial sweeter on my tongue , my whole being ;.... 

WRONG !

With me it was funny next, but terrifying first.  "Fresh off the boat," I just started my first job in New York and during lunch was eagerly exploring what the locals eat and drink.  The spot (3rd and Lexington) was dotted with places to eat, and I was slowly figuring out my likes and dislikes...  and then I bought a can of "diet" Pepsi by mistake.  Never tasted that stuff before, and didn't know that "diet" meant aspartame -- I think I just expected it to be less cloying.  Well, at the time, there was this huge story on the news about some never-to-be-identified deranged individuals going around injecting grapes in supermarkets with cyanide or something to that effect, poisoning food out of sheer malice.  I'm pretty sure now the story was made up -- food corporations and plastic containers manufacturers wanted to package more of the foods which earlier you could just get your hands on and take the amount you needed, not the amount the seller forced you to get by pre-packaging.  (That packaging is one of the true enemies of nature, but don't let me digress.)  That's what I think now, but I was so naive and trusting back then... 

So, I came back from lunch, sat at my desk and opened that can and took a sip.  What happened next was, I jumped to the ceiling, spat it out forcefully and started screaming, "Oh my god, it must be one of those tampered-with cans injected with poison!  It tastes like some foul poison, what do I do now?  Do I go to the emergency room?  HELP!!"  

My boss, a cool guy, picked up the can, poured some of the Pepsi into a glass and bravely tasted it.  "It's normal diet Pepsi," he shrugged, finishing the drink.  "Relax."    

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Nungali said:

Lard  - pig fat - is supposedly (now) healthy for us .

WRONG !

What do you think about stevia?

6 hours ago, steve said:

What do you think about stevia?

While we wait for Nungali's take, here's mine:

I absolutely hate the taste -- they say there's better and worse brands, but I found none palatable for me. 

The plant was originally used by some tribes in South America, but the commercial sugar substitute is not stevia the plant, it' steviol glycosides, produced from the leaves by genetically modified microorganisms.  The resulting steviol glycosides, according to manufacturers' disclosure, "may or may not be found in the stevia leaf."  I didn't know it when I discovered I hate the taste but now I think I might have an idea why.  My taste buds' reaction to any foods our (or anyone's) ancestors never ate is always like that: "are you trying to fool me?.. You can't!!!"  

I've never tried the processed versions.

I've used the leaves on occasion after first being exposed in a tea shop in Seattle, near the famous Pike Place fish market.

The proprietress gave me a bag of dried leaves to bring home.

I could tell there was some stimulation of receptors on the tongue that were trying to send messages of 'sweet' to the brain.

Nevertheless, it was an unusual sensation, a bit like trying to taste 'sweet' in a stereoscopic 3D image. 

I suspect some of that is my unfamiliar, perhaps better to say traumatized, taste buds at the time as it was before I made a conscious effort to avoid added sugar and other sweeteners.

• Like 1

I wonder if any studies have been made about possible addictive effects of some products made with Stevia?  I haven't looked around for same yet.

• Like 1