dwai

The Clarity Aspect in Buddhism

58 minutes ago, dwai said:

Care to elaborate? I’ve not come across “yin reduction” or “vacuum” before. What do you think they mean? 

Guessing it is yinfu, yin response. 

Vacuum could be Stillness?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

Yinfu as in from the yellow emperor’s classic?

Fascinating — please share more if you can. I don’t know anything about it — so would appreciate some insights. :) 

4 hours ago, Apech said:

For relevance to the OP rather than the developing convo.  I thought particularly @steve on the internet might like this one:

Thank you @Apech

I did enjoy it.

Two points, among several, that were especially poignant for me were:

’the entire Buddhist path is a placebo’ and ‘awakening is just a very sophisticated illusion.’

I’d love to meet him and have an opportunity discuss Dharma, film, and politics!

Yours in Dharma,

“steve on the internet”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, dwai said:

Yinfu as in from the yellow emperor’s classic?

Yinfu as from any text on the golden Elixir that use that expression. 

31 minutes ago, dwai said:

Fascinating — please share more if you can. I don’t know anything about it — so would appreciate some insights. :) 

As far as I can tell, the term has at least two meanings. 

One of them is "yogic", the other is about "Mind". 

Combine them, let the processes evolve, and we have one of those things that you disagree with. 

Or, at least, that's how it works in the tradition I follow, I'm sure that everyone else involved in similar practices that ready this shake their heads and murmur "that's not what it means in my tradition" 😁 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cleansox said:

Yinfu as from any text on the golden Elixir that use that expression. 

As far as I can tell, the term has at least two meanings. 

One of them is "yogic", the other is about "Mind". 

Combine them, let the processes evolve, and we have one of those things that you disagree with. 

Ok will have to dig deeper into this. Is the yogic vs mind related to manifest vs un-manifest, you wei vs Wu wei? 

1 hour ago, Cleansox said:

Or, at least, that's how it works in the tradition I follow, I'm sure that everyone else involved in similar practices that ready this shake their heads and murmur "that's not what it means in my tradition" 😁 

33 minutes ago, dwai said:

Ok will have to dig deeper into this. Is the yogic vs mind related to manifest vs un-manifest, you wei vs Wu wei? 

No, not really. 

At this point in practice, one should have left the manifest but not yet returned to affect the manifest. 

I know, that formulation sucked, sorry but that is as close to it as I can describe it without laying it totally out there. 

The youwei/wuwei isn't really applicable here in this context, because in this context that is a description of level of "gong" (and that formulation will produce purple palm-shaped bruises all over the internet). 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

and that formulation will produce purple palm-shaped bruises all over the internet

😁

10 hours ago, refugeindharma said:

Could you please define or break down awakening, enlightenment, and immortality within the tradition you practice - which I presume is a Daoist LongMen tradition? Also, not sure if you're familiar with Buddhist models of awakening but if you are, please feel free to draw any parallels between the Daoist/Buddhist stages of enlightenment/awakening that you are aware of as this would be of great interest too (also helps bring us back to the thread title, although I don't think thread titles matter all that much here at TDB) :)

It’s kind of involved to be honest. Saying that - I have talked about it before - I’m just really bad at searching on here.

I think I’ve talked about it in relation to the Jhanna in Buddhism - so maybe if you search for that term and for posts by me, you’ll find a big thread where we discuss and argue about this stuff in depth.

But yes, this is from a Longmen tradition which uses meditative techniques quite a bit. I believe historically there was cross-pollination between Hindu, Buddhist and ancient Daoist practices (along with a bit of Confucianism).

The meditative concentration gives access to the various ‘ingredients’ to be used in alchemy. 

Sorry I can’t go more in-depth - it’s a pretty huge subject as you can imagine - and for me 90% of it is theory rather than experience.

• Like 3

On 8/18/2021 at 12:16 PM, refugeindharma said:

I have heard of this concept within Buddhist traditions, heavenly siddhis as you refer to them are akin to a Bodhisattva's spiritual penetrations and abilities, whereas the more effort based earthly siddhi's requiring concentration and effort are similar to Arhats.

Could you please define or break down awakening, enlightenment, and immortality within the tradition you practice - which I presume is a Daoist LongMen tradition? Also, not sure if you're familiar with Buddhist models of awakening but if you are, please feel free to draw any parallels between the Daoist/Buddhist stages of enlightenment/awakening that you are aware of as this would be of great interest too (also helps bring us back to the thread title, although I don't think thread titles matter all that much here at TDB) :) 

Check out this post here. We discuss it a bit there. 

Edited by anshino23
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2021/8/18 at 10:25 PM, dwai said:

I think you didn’t  understand what I wrote about — it was nirvikalpa samadhi, not “Nibbana samadhi”. I didn’t mention nibbana or nirvana in that post. 

In any case, I don’t understand what you mean by vacuum and yin reduction. Are these technical terms within Daoism or Buddhism? Or your own words to describe something you practice/experience?

“Nibbana samadhi” is translated by google. What I said is "nirvikalpa samadhi"

I know you don't understand, so I told you.
Both Buddhist and Taoist scriptures are taught, but you can't understand them, so you will have those misunderstandings.

我知道你不懂,所以我才告訴你。
不管是佛家還是道家的經典都有講,只是你看不懂而已,所以你才會有那些誤解。

Just by listening to what you are talking about, you should be completely ignorant of what samadhi is, then you will have this kind of reaction.

只是聽你講的,你應該是完全不懂什麼是入定,你才會有這種反應。

• Haha 1

On 2021/8/19 at 1:31 AM, Cleansox said:

That’s not what it means.

不是這個意思。

https://www.facebook.com/groups/daofree

My English is not good, but through google translation, I can see that you all use imagination to think about possible situations. The problem is that this is something for cultivation and cannot be imagined. There are hundreds of thousands of your imagination and facts. Eight thousand miles away.

I have a translation cake on my Facebook, which can translate Chinese into English. I have written tens of thousands of words. If you look at it, you might be able to understand a little bit.

我的英文不好,但是透過google翻譯,我可以看出你們都用想像的在思考可能的情況,問題是這種是修煉的東西,是無法被想像的,你們的想像與事實,有十萬八千里之遠。

我的臉書有翻譯蛋糕,可以把中文翻譯成英文,我寫了好幾萬字,各位看一看,或許能了解一點點。

2 hours ago, awaken said:

That’s not what it means.

不是這個意思。

Care to provide a translation, or the specific character(s)? 

Edit: Or pinyin, since I don't do characters. 

Because Google translate doesn't really do the trick here. 

Edited by Cleansox
Added stuff

27 minutes ago, awaken said:

My English is not good, but through google translation, I can see that you all use imagination to think about possible situations. 

No, through Google translation you get the same weird crap as we recieve on our end. 

Which leads to misunderstanding, which leads to polarization. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, awaken said:

“Nibbana samadhi” is translated by google. What I said is "nirvikalpa samadhi"

I see. And what do you “experience”  in nirvikalpa samadhi? Please do share your personal experiences. :)

While you’re at it, also do tell us what you meant by yin reduction and vacuum. Very interested to learn what that means.  

1 hour ago, awaken said:

I know you don't understand, so I told you.
Both Buddhist and Taoist scriptures are taught, but you can't understand them, so you will have those misunderstandings.

which Buddhist scripture(s) are you referring to? And which Taoist one(s)? Help me understand what you’re saying. Share a few names/commentaries etc — but please don’t quote reams of text here. :) 

1 hour ago, awaken said:

我知道你不懂,所以我才告訴你。
不管是佛家還是道家的經典都有講,只是你看不懂而已,所以你才會有那些誤解。

Just by listening to what you are talking about, you should be completely ignorant of what samadhi is, then you will have this kind of reaction.

Now, this is not the kind of attitude that’ll give you much mileage out here. Better to be kind — no matter how ignorant someone might seem to you — it’s a sign of maturity. :) 

But it’ll be interesting to read your take on what samadhi is like. Which kind of samadhi, and so on. 

Best wishes,

dwai 

1 hour ago, awaken said:

1 hour ago, awaken said:

I have a translation cake on my Facebook, which can translate Chinese into English. I have written tens of thousands of words. If you look at it, you might be able to understand a little bit.

Wow what’s a translation cake? Is it as delicious as it sounds? :) 

Seems like the cake isn’t translating properly into English. 

So you’re out here promoting your Facebook group? If so, do share some reasons why someone should spend their time reading your delicious translations? 

9 hours ago, dwai said:

Wow what’s a translation cake?

9 hours ago, dwai said:

Is it as delicious as it sounds? :) 

Seems like the cake isn’t translating properly into English. 

So you’re out here promoting your Facebook group? If so, do share some reasons why someone should spend their time reading your delicious translations? 

23 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Only on Daobums could a conversation like this happen in a thread about 'clarity'    :)

Well…clearly! 😇

只會耍嘴皮子而已,可笑

既然沒誠意到這種地步,那我也不用講甚麼翻譯蛋糕了,自己如果要看懂中文,就自己去用谷哥翻譯吧

Edited by awaken