kingfred

for a healthier shape

If you had a very little muscle and a bit of a gut, all very much like myself, what would you do to get into a healthier shape? I just started resistance training but i'm totally unaware what lifting weights does with the subtle energy body, and was interested in more traditional techniques, any type of advice is good, thanks

do strength exercises

bench press

squat

dead lift

power clean

jog, a lot

not everything that is old and from asia is effective

I tend to prefer bodyweight exercises over weights so I like doing the Royal Court from Combat Conditioning.

As for the gut and traditional. I had a book on a Chi Gung called "Swimming Dragon" that is good for youthfulness and weight loss. Gave the book to my Dad as a present, but he did not practice it so I don't know if it works :)

hey i used to be in your situation a while ago. you are storing extra fat in your stomach because you're not using the extra energy you take in. do any athletics and the fat will go away - but if you want to gain muscle then you also need to eat a lot and lift heavy weights.

as far as how subtle energies play into heavy lifting - i'm not sure, but either way you should see how your body reacts, we're all different.

For me, working out seems to have el nada to do with weight loss. I consider the two goals to be completely separate. For weight loss, I'm having some encouraging initial success with fasting Mondays and Thursdays. For working out do whatever you love the most as you'll work it the hardest. I don't know if there are subtle energy issues with lifting heavy, but keep in mind that compression breathing may have subtle energy issues and that breathing with the mouth during the workout may as well. I know in India, it is frowned on to work out while breathing in with the mouth, that you lose the subtle energy benefits. I do know that stretching and mobility drills have lots of subtle body benefits. Play around with it and let us know what works. It might even turn out that compression breathing and/or lifting heavy is just what the doctor ordered to balance out your particular combination of practice and constitution. If you lift heavy, do check out dragondoor.com.

daily exercise helps crank up the metabolism. I like getting a little of both exercise and meditation. settles ya out well...

determine the difference between 'hunger' and hunger.

If you had a very little muscle and a bit of a gut, all very much like myself, what would you do to get into a healthier shape? I just started resistance training but i'm totally unaware what lifting weights does with the subtle energy body, and was interested in more traditional techniques, any type of advice is good, thanks

For weight loss cut out all sugar (including simple carbohydrates) from your diet. Do this incrementally if you are a sugar addict.

Sugar = fat

For exercise that covers everything and is health orientated, movement and sophistication based, fun and aimed at longevity try:

www.rmaxinternational.com

Intu-Flow and FlowFit are great places to start and the two of them would probably give you all the exercise you need.

Agreed with Neimad

Without a fully open myofacial network, supple connective tissue and full range of motion in all your muscles, heavy lifting will just add more tension and force into an already unbalanced and blocked up system, making it much harder to open up your meridians...

It all depends on your Sheng Xiao and level of development. There is a saying in Kung-Fu that goes like this:

From internal to external and from external to internal.

This means that if you are strong internally you'll have to eventually develop external strength to balance both aspects and vice versa.

In addition, if you belong to the fire type of person (visit this link to find out) then resistance training will be counterproductive (it will damage your internal organs) when you become advanced as it will make you too Yang. You need to stop then and train your qi more.

Anyway if you can train Xingyi and Baguazhang if you ever have the chance. These exercises will make you strong both internally and externally.

Watch these vids:

And read this:

http://en.epochtimes.com/news/7-9-9/59524.html

http://www.ronaldjhoffman.com/archives/000311.htm

And watch this:

Good luck.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

Diet is important.

For exercise I love rock climbing because it beautifully trains flexibility, power, core strength and endurance. However, I realise this may not be your prefered exercise.

If you are looking for something with a bit of ancient wisdom behind it, check out Waking Up for Beginners by Stephanie Wright. I did this for two months, and, my God(!), does it work well :D

Edited by .broken.

durkhrod chogori,

Thanks for that wiki link, that was great!!

Your pal,

Yoda

i agree with Yoda that my weigh loss has less to do with exercise (daily 40 minute walk and yoga on sundays) and more to do with now much food i eat. so i stick to a light snack in the afternoon (right before I have to work with kids) and a really good healthy dinner (tho living in philly, one has to indulge in a cheesesteak every so often!) - and lots of chai, tea and water throughout the day. i lost seven pounds that way and i haven't been feeling poorly from reducing my calories. but everyone is different. try weights and working out more...if that doesn't work after a few months, then switch to reducing calories. see which your body responds to better.

For me, working out seems to have el nada to do with weight loss. I consider the two goals to be completely separate. For weight loss, I'm having some encouraging initial success with fasting Mondays and Thursdays. For working out do whatever you love the most as you'll work it the hardest. I don't know if there are subtle energy issues with lifting heavy, but keep in mind that compression breathing may have subtle energy issues and that breathing with the mouth during the workout may as well. I know in India, it is frowned on to work out while breathing in with the mouth, that you lose the subtle energy benefits. I do know that stretching and mobility drills have lots of subtle body benefits. Play around with it and let us know what works. It might even turn out that compression breathing and/or lifting heavy is just what the doctor ordered to balance out your particular combination of practice and constitution. If you lift heavy, do check out dragondoor.com.

durkhrod chogori,

Thanks for that wiki link, that was great!!

Your pal,

Yoda

You are welcome.

He is not the only one though, there are others older than him hiding deep in the mountains. ;)

Funny, Taoists caring about health and their arts whereas Buddhists about enlightenment and not so much health.

It has always been like that since the ancient times.

Regards.

If you are looking for something with a bit of ancient wisdom behind it, check out Waking Up for Beginners by Stephanie Wright. I did this for two months, and, my God(!), does it work well :D

I am looking for this book for a while now. Does not seem to be available in US/Canada. Anyone knows where to find it? Also, any recommendations for Kum Nye? I see some books by Lama Tarthang Tulku. Also, would appreciate if someone explained what is the difference between Kum Nye and Qi Gong, if they have similar goals and similar practices and stuff...