On 11/29/2020 at 9:02 AM, Taomeow said:

Black-footed cat, the smallest of African cats and the deadliest of all felines.  It weighs from 2.4 to 4.2 lb and catches more prey in a single night than a leopard does in six months. 

Image may contain: cat

My partner Jose's wild rendition of this photo.

https://ibb.co/09c8tdr

gato.jpg

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On March 11, 889 CE, 17-year-old Emperor Uda of Japan wrote:

"On the 6th Day of the 2nd Month of the First Year of the Kampo era. Taking a moment of my free time, I wish to express my joy of the cat. It arrived by boat as a gift to the late Emperor, received from the hands of Minamoto-no Kuwashi.
The color of the fur is peerless. None could find the words to describe it, although one said it was reminiscent of the deepest ink. It has an air about it, similar to Kanno. Its length is 5 sun, and its height is 6 sun. I affixed a bow about its neck, but it did not remain for long.
In rebellion, it narrows its eyes and extends its needles. It shows its back.
When it lies down, it curls in a circle like a coin. You cannot see its feet. It's as if it were circular Bi disk. When it stands, its cry expresses profound loneliness, like a black dragon floating above the clouds.
By nature, it likes to stalk birds. It lowers its head and works its tail. It can extend its spine to raise its height by at least 2 sun. Its color allows it to disappear at night. I am convinced it is superior to all other cats."
  • Like 4

Was not it just, the other day , international tiger day ... or 'big cat day' or something like that .

I came to this thread to check ... but no party going on  ?  Maybe I heard wrong ?

15 hours ago, Nungali said:

Was not it just, the other day , international tiger day ... or 'big cat day' or something like that .

I came to this thread to check ... but no party going on  ?  Maybe I heard wrong ?

No one told me.  Tiger day...  I went to check on the state of the tiger in 2023.  Here it is:

India - 2,967 

Russia – 751

Indonesia – 371 

Nepal – 355 

Thailand – 149 

Malaysia – 120

Bangladesh -106 

Bhutan – 103 

China – 55 

Myanmar – 22 

The countries where the tiger population has been increasing in the recent years:  Russia, India, Nepal, Bhutan, and China.

It has been steeply decreasing in Malaysia.  In Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam they practically went extinct.

So, about 4,500  tigers left in the world.  There were 100,000 accounted for in 1900.  I don't have the earlier numbers.

Siberian Tiger running through snow. : r/natureismetal

Edited by Taomeow
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Taomeow said:

No one told me.  Tiger day...  I went to check on the state of the tiger in 2023.  Here it is:

India - 2,967 

Russia – 751

Indonesia – 371 

Nepal – 355 

Thailand – 149 

Malaysia – 120

Bangladesh -106 

Bhutan – 103 

China – 55 

Myanmar – 22 

The countries where the tiger population has been increasing in the recent years:  Russia, India, Nepal, Bhutan, and China.

It has been steeply decreasing in Malaysia.  In Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam they practically went extinct.

So, about 4,500  tigers left in the world.  There were 100,000 accounted for in 1900.  I don't have the earlier numbers.

Siberian Tiger running through snow. : r/natureismetal

Dont interfere with my dinner ! 

Russian guy out hunting , finds a kill carcass  .... shit ! Probably a tiger, and it will be returning or to get it or hiding  around here somewhere .  It was and jumped him, he saw it coming and got a shot off but only wounded it . It escaped into the forest .

Later he gets back to his cabin and guess who is waiting for him .   Not only kills him  eats him.

Dont fuck with my dinner  ...   or you might end up my dinner .

2 hours ago, Nungali said:

Dont interfere with my dinner ! 

Russian guy out hunting , finds a kill carcass  .... shit ! Probably a tiger, and it will be returning or to get it or hiding  around here somewhere .  It was and jumped him, he saw it coming and got a shot off but only wounded it . It escaped into the forest .

Later he gets back to his cabin and guess who is waiting for him .   Not only kills him  eats him.

Dont fuck with my dinner  ...   or you might end up my dinner .

Here's the original story (translated by Google):

"In the Nanai district of the Khabarovsk Territory, the Red Book Amur tiger attacked hunters. The predator had to be killed. This was told by the deputy of the local village council Andrey Dyachkov, RIA Novosti reported on Tuesday, February 14.

'The tiger entered the winter hut through the window and attacked one of the hunters. The second hunter reacted instantly by jumping over the tiger, grabbed his gun and neutralized the predator. The wounded hunter was taken to the first-aid post with lacerations and blood loss. 'The tiger looked skinny and, accordingly, hungry,' the deputy’s agency quotes.

The incident happened 60 km from the nearest settlement. According to the regional Ministry of Health, the victim is 19 years old. After the attack of the predator, the young man stayed in the taiga for two days and lost a lot of blood. On Monday, the young man was taken to intensive care. According to doctors, the victim is in a serious but stable condition, they plan to transfer him to the regional center for treatment."

Amur tigers are the biggest felines in existence, 660 lb, and from the nose to the tip of the tail, 10 feet long.  I've seen an Amur tiger up close when I was a kid, in the Kiev zoo.  Couldn't believe my eyes -- it was so humongous, out of this world huge.  Broke my heart, it was pacing incessantly in a small cage, literally a few steps wall to wall, horrible.  I only went to a zoo one more time in a lifetime, in San Diego.  Here the tigers have a very large enclosure imitating natural landscape, but but but...

been there too (SD)  and while I was admiring an awesome tiger through his wire cage  he lined up on me and sprayed with a big grin on his face!  (on 2nd thought may have been at the Hogle zoo in SLC)

Edited by old3bob

On 2/8/2023 at 4:25 PM, Taomeow said:

Poaching for folk TCM medication? Habitat loss? Both reasons?

11 hours ago, Gerard said:

Poaching for folk TCM medication? 

Not folk, classical.  Created at the time when tigers roamed vast unmolested habitats, it had no impact on their population for thousands of years. 

11 hours ago, Gerard said:

Habitat loss? Both reasons?

Habitat loss, of course.  And then a lot of wildlife trafficking.  The uber wealthy (chiefly in the US and Europe) keep live tigers and whole collections thereof as a status symbol (in reality, a sign of the general morbid degeneracy of their ilk.)  There's far more tigers in private captivity than in the wild.  According to The Guardian, there's 10,000 privately owned tigers in the US, and there's thousand in Europe too.  In the Czech republic, there's tiger farms where they are dismembered for pelts (used for rugs by the aforementioned degenerate class etc..)  

20 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Here's the original story (translated by Google):

"In the Nanai district of the Khabarovsk Territory, the Red Book Amur tiger attacked hunters. The predator had to be killed. This was told by the deputy of the local village council Andrey Dyachkov, RIA Novosti reported on Tuesday, February 14.

'The tiger entered the winter hut through the window and attacked one of the hunters. The second hunter reacted instantly by jumping over the tiger, grabbed his gun and neutralized the predator. The wounded hunter was taken to the first-aid post with lacerations and blood loss. 'The tiger looked skinny and, accordingly, hungry,' the deputy’s agency quotes.

The incident happened 60 km from the nearest settlement. According to the regional Ministry of Health, the victim is 19 years old. After the attack of the predator, the young man stayed in the taiga for two days and lost a lot of blood. On Monday, the young man was taken to intensive care. According to doctors, the victim is in a serious but stable condition, they plan to transfer him to the regional center for treatment."

Amur tigers are the biggest felines in existence, 660 lb, and from the nose to the tip of the tail, 10 feet long.  I've seen an Amur tiger up close when I was a kid, in the Kiev zoo.  Couldn't believe my eyes -- it was so humongous, out of this world huge.  Broke my heart, it was pacing incessantly in a small cage, literally a few steps wall to wall, horrible.  I only went to a zoo one more time in a lifetime, in San Diego.  Here the tigers have a very large enclosure imitating natural landscape, but but but...

?   :huh:

Thats a totally different story .

I had no idea classical TCM used wild animal parts; eg. tiger bone, rhino horn, deer antlers, etc. I thought it wasn't real Taoism but more folk medicine that found it's way though classic TCM. 

When I lived in Europe I had the misfortune of meeting a lawyer that worked for drug traffickers. He had a tiger cub in his garden and was trying hard to get a gorilla one too, which is pretty much impossible but he had the money and was determined. 

Is always humans driving to extinction so many wild animals and felines in this case. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

?   :huh:

Thats a totally different story .

I wanted to see the original because I couldn't figure out how it became known that the guy chanced upon the kill carcass and what he was thinking if he wound up eaten by a tiger.  Couldn't have been telling the story from inside the tiger's belly, could he?..

So, no such story as the one you narrated was found in Russian, and the closest one, about the tiger getting inside a hunters' winter hut, was the one I posted.  In any event, when I tried to do this search in English Google offered four million three hundred thousand results for "Russian guy eaten by a tiger shark" instead.  Rejoicing and gloating many of them.

Which reminded me of the only case of a man getting eaten by a shark here in San Diego, a few years ago.  No public gloating then, media coverage was only local and only compassionate, but I had to wonder...  the unfortunate guy was a veterinarian and one of those who pioneered the "catch and release" program in conjunction with spaying and neutering all captured cats.  I had this crazy thought that the cats may have complained to the shark...  There was this one cat I often met in the remote areas of the beach, he had owners who live in a house high above on a bluff whence a long private staircase descends to the beach.  That cat was always using the staircase to go down to the beach and often took a stroll by my side as I was doing my walking qigong.  He was the only cat on the beach I've ever seen, and a regular at that.  And very smart, so I was thinking, he might have been the one in communication with the shark.         

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Taomeow said:

I wanted to see the original because I couldn't figure out how it became known that the guy chanced upon the kill carcass and what he was thinking if he wound up eaten by a tiger.  Couldn't have been telling the story from inside the tiger's belly, could he?..

Well, I did tag it as a 'story' not an 'event' .  No need to listen at the tigers belly . You might be surprised what an expereinced hunter can tell from footprints  and signs, after the event .

So, no such story as the one you narrated was found in Russian, and the closest one, about the tiger getting inside a hunters' winter hut, was the one I posted.  In any event, when I tried to do this search in English Google offered four million three hundred thousand results for "Russian guy eaten by a tiger shark" instead.  Rejoicing and gloating many of them.

I also have a story about a Russian hunter , living far out in the wilderness , and a tiger shark came through the window and mauled him .  ...  no footprints where found .

Which reminded me of the only case of a man getting eaten by a shark here in San Diego, a few years ago.  No public gloating then, media coverage was only local and only compassionate, but I had to wonder...  the unfortunate guy was a veterinarian and one of those who pioneered the "catch and release" program in conjunction with spaying and neutering all captured cats.  I had this crazy thought that the cats may have complained to the shark...  There was this one cat I often met in the remote areas of the beach, he had owners who live in a house high above on a bluff whence a long private staircase descends to the beach.  That cat was always using the staircase to go down to the beach and often took a stroll by my side as I was doing my walking qigong.  He was the only cat on the beach I've ever seen, and a regular at that.  And very smart, so I was thinking, he might have been the one in communication with the shark.  

I dont think so ,  I googled that story , and none was found except this one :        

Cat makes woman run over herself '

" Florida Highway Patrol (FHP) says the cat conundrum occurred in a car parked in the grass in front of a house in Cocoa as she was preparing to drive off. Troopers say the feline jumped into the car and attacked her.

Apparently the woman was so startled that she forgot the car was in reverse, and as she attempted to escape, the car ran her over and struck a parked car.

"It's very unusual to have an animal leap into a car and bite somebody like this and then get run over by your own car ."

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Gerard said:

Not exactly wild but semi-wild:

Aoshima, the Purest Cat Island in the Seto Inland Sea

Came across that site by accident. I had no idea cat islands existed. They are located in Japan.

Beautiful.  There's also a Mediterranean island where the cat population exceeds human population, but the name of the island is kept from the public so as to discourage meddling by tourists.  I have this book with absolutely stunning photography.    

61fIAYN8G9L._SX423_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 2

Maybe the Greek island of Santorini?

"The beaches of Santorini are unlike most other beaches in Greece due to their special geological features.  Black and red volcanic pebbles cover the shores of the beaches with a backdrop of magnificent white cliffs.  This lovely peaceful island is one of the most romantic destinations in the Mediterranean.  Couples from all over the world honeymoon here because the sunsets are so incredibly spectacular, and along with the scenery exquisite, the air is filled with the fragrant scent of herbs and flowers.

Oh and for cat lovers, it’s a dream come true!  Santorini  is home to an unbelievable number of stray cats much like the famous Japanese ‘cat island’ of Tashirojima.  The island is awash with blue domed Byzantine churches rounding off white villages that look they have been painted by cubist architects then decorated with bougainvillea and cats.

It’s a place to enjoy freshly caught fish and local wine by the water’s edge, as the local Orthodox priest chats with villagers while cats rub against your legs looking for tit-bits.  It was once said of these cats, that during their catnaps they dream of the days when they were worshipped by the ancient Egyptians and didn’t have to rely on the kindness of strangers for food."

The Cats of Santorini Island

I guess the photos of in that link are of similar quality to those in your book. 

Santorini is one place I'll travel to for sure!

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

Maybe the Greek island of Santorini?

"The beaches of Santorini are unlike most other beaches in Greece due to their special geological features.  Black and red volcanic pebbles cover the shores of the beaches with a backdrop of magnificent white cliffs.  This lovely peaceful island is one of the most romantic destinations in the Mediterranean. Couples from all over the world honeymoon here because the sunsets are so incredibly spectacular, and along with the scenery exquisite, the air is filled with the fragrant scent of herbs and flowers.

Oh and for cat lovers, it’s a dream come true!  Santorini  is home to an unbelievable number of stray cats much like the famous Japanese ‘cat island’ of Tashirojima.  The island is awash with blue domed Byzantine churches rounding off white villages that look they have been painted by cubist architects then decorated with bougainvillea and cats.

It’s a place to enjoy freshly caught fish and local wine by the water’s edge, as the local Orthodox priest chats with villagers while cats rub against your legs looking for tit-bits.  It was once said of these cats, that during their catnaps they dream of the days when they were worshipped by the ancient Egyptians and didn’t have to rely on the kindness of strangers for food."

The Cats of Santorini Island

I guess the photos depicted in that link are of similar quality to those in your book. 

Edited by Gerard

On 04/08/2023 at 12:26 AM, Gerard said:

I had no idea classical TCM used wild animal parts …

It also used human body parts. 

CDN media

There's several monuments of him and his cat here and there, this one is in Yucatan, Mexico:

В Мексике открылся памятник ученому Юрию Кнорозову, расшифровавшему  письменность майя - ТАСС  

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 5