Walker

Shaking to improve immunity, prevent colds and flus, expel wind-cold pathogenic qi, strengthen protective qi

20 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

Muscle stretching, slow weight shifting, basic abdominal breathing. 

That will work on your immune system, as well as have a positive effect on some of the trauma reactions. 

If the breathing bothers you, do less of that, although if you have any dysregulated breathing pattern this should be attended. 

Thanks for suggestions, I can't do abdominal breathing due to extremely stiff abdominal muscles. It hurts a lot. Thats the reason I am more interested in this Qigong shaking mentioned in OP to loosen my body and build immunity but the only issue is the trauma inside my body and I don't want to trigger it. So if it has different effects than TRE ( very adverse effects for me) then it would be really helpful for my immunity without adverse effects. Also OP mentions to shake just like a ping pong ball is moving up and down at a faster rate in belly area. This means shaking at a really faster rate. What's the effective shaking rate in this technique? Can one shake at a slower rate to get the same immunity benefits?

3 hours ago, awarenessrules said:

Thanks for suggestions, I can't do abdominal breathing due to extremely stiff abdominal muscles. It hurts a lot. Thats the reason I am more interested in this Qigong shaking mentioned in OP to loosen my body and build immunity but the only issue is the trauma inside my body and I don't want to trigger it. So if it has different effects than TRE ( very adverse effects for me) then it would be really helpful for my immunity without adverse effects. Also OP mentions to shake just like a ping pong ball is moving up and down at a faster rate in belly area. This means shaking at a really faster rate. What's the effective shaking rate in this technique? Can one shake at a slower rate to get the same immunity benefits?

If your trauma is directly related to shaking, then don't do it.  It is a nice and useful exercise but not essential. 

The shaking rate depends on the person.  But the frequency is generally fast about 2 shakes a second.  If you are weak etc, then reduce the up/down distance.  It is only up and down, don't add something like sideways or circular movements.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Master Logray said:

If your trauma is directly related to shaking, then don't do it.  It is a nice and useful exercise but not essential. 

The shaking rate depends on the person.  But the frequency is generally fast about 2 shakes a second.  If you are weak etc, then reduce the up/down distance.  It is only up and down, don't add something like sideways or circular movements.

Thanks, Can you kindly mention any Youtube video or video course which teaches this specific shaking technique? 

On 9/4/2021 at 12:48 AM, awarenessrules said:

I am a Trauma survivor and have tried TRE 2 times only and it made me so sick for 2 months. It was horrible. I will never try TRE again. So will this type of Qigong shaking mentioned in OP trigger the same effects? I want to be extra cautious this time. On the other hand my immunity is very weak and read in OP  that it helps with immunity. Any suggestions for me?

My suggestion is so obvious it hardly needs saying but I´ll say it anyway: Go slowly. 

Walker suggests 30 minutes of shaking to get the immune boosting effect.  That´s a lot!  At least for a lazy shaker like me.  Since you´ve had an adverse reaction to other shaking forms I would take it extremely slowly.  What if you did one minute of shaking a day for a week?  Preferably at the same time each day to help establish a habit.  Be aware of your body and emotional state as you shake and if you get the feeling you´ve had enough stop -- even if you´re just a few seconds into your practice.  You´re building the ability to monitor your own reactions and customize the practice to your own physiology.  This is important because after all...awareness rules.  After a week of practicing 1 minute of shaking a day take a moment to ponder.  Does this feel good?  Would I like to increase my practice time?  If so, you can revv things up to perhaps 2 minutes a day.  At this rate the pandemic may well be largely over by the time you get to the suggested 30 minutes.  (Let´s hope so!)  No matter.  You´ll be ready for the next immune challenge.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, awarenessrules said:

Thanks, Can you kindly mention any Youtube video or video course which teaches this specific shaking technique? 

I have been taught this kind of shaking a few times from different teachers.  It is more a pre-school level, not even kindergarten.  Teachers may spend a minute teaching it and that's all.   @Walker's experience is special that the length of time is greatly extended, which makes it a standalone exercise.  Naturally it changes the whole game.  Due to its nature, no one is ever interested to make a video for it.   The only closest one is within part of a series - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/686024955710870643/  starting from 4:14.  But this type is a short shake only, and perhaps more vigorous comparing with a half hour shake.

For those who miss @Walker, I do read a news article about him.  The description fits what he said in the forum.  Due to privacy consideration, I won't disclose it.  Anyway he seems to be well and happy now.  Hope he returns one day.

• Like 1

Shaking and trauma... years ago I heard a commotion from my carport and ran out to find a strange pitbull attacking my much smaller border collie. He had Zumo's back leg in his jaws and was shaking him back and forth. I didn't stop to think, and ran up  and grabbed the pit by the collar and the skin on his rump, and lifted him off the ground. The pit wouldn't let go, and I was lifting both dogs, at least 90# together!  I was screaming for help, Zumo was screaming. It was crazy!  Major adrenalin! The pit finally dropped my dog, neighbors arrived to see what was going on, we tied up the pit... and I started shaking violently all over. It was kind of embarrassing, but there was no stopping it. I shook like that for probably 10-20 minutes before it started to dissipate.

All that shaking really surprised me, and I read later that that's what animals do after a trauma, that shaking dissipates the adrenalin, and that it's a way the body lets the trauma out and gets over it. Interesting to wonder if induced shaking long after a trauma in which shaking was inhibited, would help get rid of the trauma. Certainly not surprising that inducing shaking could bring up traumas that had never been "shaken out."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1