waterdrop

How to develope good intuition /decision making ?

Would love to hear of ways to develop a persons intuition

It is especially a problem as far as motivation ...  and to be able to decide how hard to do stuff ... for example how not to burn out  from doing too much or how not to be too lazy and do nothing all day

• Like 5

My 2 cents. 

Keep an impartial record. 

Look for opportunities to make decisions without conscious thought. See how you do. How your state of mind is. 

I guess the trick is accessing the vast subconscious mind without getting tripped up by egoic fears and desires. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, waterdrop said:

It is especially a problem as far as motivation ...  and to be able to decide how hard to do stuff ... for example how not to burn out  from doing too much or how not to be too lazy and do nothing all day

When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep.

Most people eat when it’s lunchtime, or stay up watching tv when they’re tired.

Listening to the body is the beginning of intuition. If you can’t listen to it, how can you trust your gut instinct?

• Like 8

Feel with heart and connect emotionally. Intuition has a lot to do with being true to yourself.

Don't even bother using your mind or falling into rationalizations. These will never satisfy your need of intuition.

• Like 3

Every single Buddhist, Hindu, Taoist old school, proven meditation, I have ever come across (and I have come across many), if done consistently, under a good teacher, develops intuition.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, waterdrop said:

In the Bön Dzogchen tradition, the way of "developing" intuition is by gradually releasing our habitual over-identification with body, speech, and mind through meditation. As all of the distractions subside, everything we need is already there. In reality, we develop or create nothing, we simply open to the deep inner source of all insight and creativity. A very accessible resource for this is the book Spontaneous Creativity by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche. 

• Like 5

Intuition is like Nature... ceaselessly flowing, unfolding.  About my being, through my being, through my awareness.

am i hearing?  am i listening?

Intuition arises for me, without straining.

It arises impromptu, but local 'i' awareness hears it effectively when a certain quiet of beingness abides.

Intuition, like awakening arises of itself.

When we break fart, we do not proclaim "at 5 o'clock, I will break fart."  It happens of itself... let it.

Intuition, like Nature, is always speaking... unfolding.

Allow yourself to hear... not with ears, but with the whole of your beingness

With whole awareness...  unfold into hearing all that transpires about and through your being.

Sensations, emotions, thoughts, intentions, proclivities, revulsions... all speaking all the time.

Find a spot outside and quiet all but that which arises without effort and then open to what arises without storyteller or assumptive projections.  Simply be.

Allow self to hear spherically, with whole beingness, full raw presence, devoid of storyteller, judge and jury.

Beingness is complete and intrinsic with all of manifest.  All beingness connected, shares the anchor of manifestation equally.

Being is never separate and thus in connection, one may 'hear' through thoughts, feelings, sensations

Awareness abides without restriction.

Intuition, like Nature ceaselessly unfolds in presence.

Always singing its presence.

Allow Awareness to abide in the calm unflinching center of beingness and Intuition's singing will be heard.

Muddiest Waters.

Left undisturbed by process...

rest in clarity.

• Like 5

I'm actually quite skilled at this.

Just to be clear though, you are interested in decision making via intuition in a pragmatic sense.

Some of it is due to natural talents I've been gifted with, but I'll try to break down the skills involved and process I feel is going on.

I also need to state the value and importance of experience. In certain types of decision making this is invaluable.

Mistakes are part of the way, but the inability to learn from your mistakes is an obstacle.

The first thing to realize is that the more data you have the better your intuition can work.

For me the intuition is like traveling to a destination that is very far at a rate faster than you should be able to because you simply don't know how to get there exactly.

So the more data you have the easier it will be for your intuition will get to the destination on it's own.

Being good at research is very important for the data accumulation phase. This is big skill by itself. I read fast. I pick out the important part of info fast. And then I can synthesize it with any other relevant areas of knowledge that are relevant to the problem at hand.

Research also applies to human situations. You need to be able to look at people, groups, etc..and size them up quickly. What's their motivations. Who are they. Where are they on the social hierarchy. What do they want, etc... Most people are not unique. Get enough life experience and this part gets easier and easier. The same patterns (and people types) repeat themselves. Your intuition should be able to pick out these patterns before you consciously do because its seen them before and knows how the patterns work and conclude.

Part of pattern recognition is about having a well founded system for interpreting patterns. I have a very ground up approach to philosophy and psychology that all my observations feed into. I've asked the big questions, searched, read, and am still reading and searching. But I've built up enough knowledge to know the different perspectives one can apply to certain questions, people, and scenarios. And of course some perspectives that I think are most accurate to reality or in other words paradigms that have the strongest predictive power of the future.

My observations get turned into patterns easily because I'm strongly connected to all these ideas I've learned. This enables me to quickly size up people and situations. I'm also experienced enough to realize it's both a strength and weakness. I am very judgemental internally, and need to remember to keep an open mind when it comes to people specifically.

The conclusions drawn from my intuition are fundamentally probabilistic. There's an extrapolation of data, processing of the data intuitively, and it spits out the highest probable scenario that it thinks is the truth. This may sound mechanistic, but there's a strong 'feeling' component to it. Developing that feeling right side of things is probably more in the spiritual and energetic realm of practices. 

I think people who don't have good intuition may be bad at data collection, don't have strong foundations for which to compute the data into, or may also be too ungrounded with the feeling component. With regards to the latter, their supposed intuition may just take them on wild rides (like gamblers who just feel it this spin as an extreme example).

Hope that's helpful!

• Like 1

“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant.
We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”
-Albert Einstein

“Once you awaken your intuition and get in the habit of listening to and acting on it, every decision in your life will become reflective of your inner truth. The trick is not to try to work out all the answers in your head. Rather, take whatever information you need into your body, trust your gut, then dance or meditate or walk or do whatever you need to enter a relaxed state of being and you’ll know what to do.
You always have and always will.”
-Gabrielle Roth

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2019 at 11:36 AM, Miffymog said:

I use Tarot cards myself

This, imo, is actually a wonderful way to "get in touch with" one's intuitive nature, and build (inner) trust which allows the "quiet voice within" to "speak and be heard."

• Like 2