Sign in to follow this  
Hannes

Ouspensky and the forth way

Yesterday I went to a presentation, given by a friend of mine, about the "fourth way".

She spoke about the philosophy of Ouspensky and his interactions with Gurdjieff and spoke about the book "In search of the miraculous".

In true turn of the century Russian style (before the Bolsheviks took over Russia) intellectual thought, his work seems to bear many similarities to the more esoteric teachings of Dao, Indian philosophy and some late German philosophy/psychology.

It seems so interesting that the last years all my searching and learning in different traditions and modalities seem to broil down to the same core of knowledge; and Ouspensky's work seems to be another one of those modalities (or maps of the territory like I like to call it) that seem to fit in with an underground thinking that has been going on as long as the history of written language.

Although from what I can see, I have a feeling I will appreciate the more scientific approach to these esoteric topics; since growing up without a strong cultural/religious tradition it is hard for me to find  myself in any of the more culturally based traditions.

Do any of the Bums out here have any comments on Ouspensky/ Gurdjieff? Any warnings or advice, or any kind of teaching they can offer?

I have studied the Fourth Way pretty extensively and Ouspensky's in Search of the Miraculous is a wonderful book which documents a period of the work of Gurdjieff. I would recommend reading Gurdjieff's Meetings With Remarkable Men next. 

The teachings Ousepensky offers are only partial though in the sense he provides a lot of the mental or intellectual side of things, whereas the more complete Fourth Way involves working on all centres at once, so a critical aspect is the movements or dances, music, as well as all the work of self observation and remembering and conscious suffering.

Group work is also  essential but the modern Fourth Way groups are very variable in quality, some of which have gone off the deep end, so I'd be careful. 

If you really want to go into the teachings it involves reading Gurdjieff's Beelzebub's Tales, which is some undertaking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Indications are that Mr. G. lost it, that is if he ever had it besides fragments from here and there along with astral level manipulations.  (for instance killing yaks with his mind and blowing peoples minds for the power trip of it)

On the other hand I do appreciate Mr. O's work a lot. 

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 3

On 11/11/2018 at 1:19 PM, Jetsun said:

Group work is also  essential but the modern Fourth Way groups are very variable in quality, some of which have gone off the deep end, so I'd be careful. 

If you really want to go into the teachings it involves reading Gurdjieff's Beelzebub's Tales, which is some undertaking. 

Interestingly my friend who's lecture I went to talks about starting a group herself; or at least teach its existence to people around this area. She found indeed that many of the groups are either total batsh*t crazy or exclusive to the very rich.

I have started reading "In search of the Miraculous" and I must say; this book is like a synopsis of things that are going through my mind for the last seven years.

You know the book where I would wonder why I didn't found and read it sooner; only I have an inkling of understanding why this is the right time for me to find this book and his insights/teachings.

Read Gurdjieff when i was a kid. liked him, but like most things, had to find my own way. doesn't hurt to read from the great thinkers, but in the end we all have to walk our own road.  

• Like 3

Ouspensky's work is a very bad place to start ... after teaching students for 30? years in London he became an alcoholic and then told all his students they would have to "make a new start on Mt Athos" ... in other words the entire group had failed.   And the reason is pretty simple he was just stuck in his head.   When he first met Gurdjieff, Gurdjieff took him back to meet some students and gave him Gurdjieff's play he had been working on (struggle of the magicians) ... anyway Ouspensky didn't understand any of it.  
Ouspensky hung out with royal princes and aristocrats and so on ... smelly people.

Read or listen to some chapters of Beelzebubs Tales.   The book is designed to challenge you in many ways, it is not really a book ... but a teaching tool with very specific intentions.   It is designed to vastly improve your intelligence concentration memory conceptual grasp mental flexibility sense of humour and devotion, as well as giving a detailed history of the evolution of consciousness in man over several milleniae.

Also there are 2 Gurdjieff movements on youtube you can do called ... Movement 39, Om Circles.   There is a group of three students in white performing them and you can follow.   Notice the details (eyes and vocalizations).   These are actually Osho students.

And Rebecca Nottingham has a good book on the Fourth Way.   Following that the books of his students like Fritz Peters and Martin Benson really tell you who you are dealing with.

• Like 2

I really like ted nottingham's youtube channel for breaking down the 4th way, and the work of Gurdjieff. As for Ouspensky however, i'd  agree his understanding appeared rather limited. The strange life of Ivan Osokin is the only book of his I've read and i don't plan on picking it up again.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 3:36 PM, 3bob said:

Indications are that Mr. G. lost it, that is if he ever had it besides fragments from here and there along with astral level manipulations.  (for instance killing yaks with his mind and blowing peoples minds for the power trip of it)

Many years ago, I was interested in Gurdjieff and Ouspensky. I tend to research deeply things in which I am interested.

At that time, I had a friend who introduced me to some one who had known Gurdjieff personally. (She had spent time in the Crimea with Gurdjieff while fleeing from Russia at the time of the Russian Revolution. Her father had been court painter for the Romanovs and she had lived at court until the Revolution. She knew Gurdjieff well and stated that she regularly beat him at chess.) After discussing Gurdjieff with her and hearing more about Ouspensky, my spiritual practices proceeded in a different direction and I never looked back.

Gurdjieff apparently exhibited a very powerful presence but, as you duly noted, "indications are that Mr. G. lost it" and I won't go further. As you probably know, Gurdjieff was interested in movement among other things and wanted this woman to collaborate with him on movement exercises. (Instead, she ended up eventually in NYC and became a prima ballerina under Balanchine. )

Edited by Still_Waters
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2018 at 8:36 PM, 3bob said:

46 minutes ago, Still_Waters said:

Gurdjieff apparently exhibited a very powerful presence but, as you duly noted, "indications are that Mr. G. lost it"

What indications are there that Gurdjieff lost it ? 

Sign in to follow this