rocala

The Self, Does it Exist?

7 hours ago, Daemon said:

I guess it's always possible to have a magical, mutually life enriching interaction with those that you meet on these seemingly mundane outings?

Perhaps, that's dependent upon whether you view life itself as magical and miraculous?

☮️

Good point.  Yes, I do that.  Generally, if I feel someone is open to listen to me I will try somehow to cause them a smile or a laugh.  Works most of the time.  But I don't consider that magic or a miracle.  Just about anyone can do it if they want to.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, silent thunder said:

before one can walk to a store and purchase a mundane, normal, non magical item... first, the entire universe must manifest.

in light of this, even the most mundane of happenings to me, is utterly imbued with the magical.

Well, I don't consider myself that special.  The universe already existed before I arrived.  I'm home, I go shopping, I return home.  No big deal.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Good point.  Yes, I do that.  Generally, if I feel someone is open to listen to me I will try somehow to cause them a smile or a laugh.  Works most of the time.  But I don't consider that magic or a miracle.  Just about anyone can do it if they want to.

Do you ever attempt to relate without frivolity?

I ask this because I've noticed that people who habitually attempt to make others smile or laugh usually do so as a defence mechanism. Clowns often have a history of great personal tragedy.

☮️

8 minutes ago, Daemon said:

Do you ever attempt to relate without frivolity?

I ask this because I've noticed that people who habitually attempt to make others smile or laugh usually do so as a defence mechanism. Clowns often have a history of great personal tragedy.

☮️

Fair question.  I'll be as honest as possible.

No, most time I avoid serious conversations - world events, politics, etc.  This is because it all too often leads to disagreements and then defenses go up - a wall is built.

I normally try to be as non-offensive as possible.  And this is because I want to depart from the other without them hold any negative feelings about our encounter.

But sure, it could be considered a form of defense.  But then, I could simply ignore other people and the result would be empty.

But I know that there are a lot of people out there who need to have their existence recognized by someone.  I try to be that someone whenever possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I recognise and I respect the honesty that you've demonstrated here @Marblehead.

Thank you.

I might come back to your reply later because (to me) it seems to be rich in the potential to have a more meaningful interaction with you, which might not only be of benefit to us as the participants but also to others as observers of that potential interaction 

☮️

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marblehead said:

20 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Well, I don't consider myself that special.  The universe already existed before I arrived.  I'm home, I go shopping, I return home.  No big deal.  

As always my friend, your responses are appreciated for their candor, frankness and simplicity.

I deeply appreciate your presence here.  You and my Father would have got on famously I imagine.  You remind me of him in many ways.

Your very reasons for not perceiving any magic, are the very points that cause me to see it everywhere I look these days.  How wonderful this universe is, to accomodate such disparate views that coexist in harmony and are both completely relevant! 

Have a great day my friend.

• Like 3

Yeah, it is those walls that people build which just leads to the desperate conclusion of some people in their hopeless attempt to heal the seperation, to just give up on all ego, and sort of die or suicide. But when you realize, that every wall has doors. You feel no need to touch the subject of the wall, but actually meet people in their core essence of being, and in your joy and their joy, both meeting eachother, no matter who provides for the avenue of clarity and peace, you come to the conclusion, together, that there are far better solutions than continually build walls, you had just never allowed yourself of considering the option, untill you have seen the truth of all that people truely are in the natural good that is their true nature, that always wishes to naturally express itself.

Sometimes it requires allot of fighting, to sort of give up and just accept that both of you deserve to exist, and you are just fighting yourself. You are no different than any other soldier. So eventually, all the soldiers stand together, united in their service for humanity, and announce their unity, and in so doing, achieve their goal of peace, which is the natural inclination anyway, and nothing needs be done in order to achieve it. Just the ceasing of whatever is choking the life out of that peace and letting all of that simply go.

• Like 1

So when a Muslim gets angry because some one says something that puts Mohomed in an unfavorable light according to an assimilated brief system, that reaction is driven by a true self that is made from that belief system?

I'm pretty sure our emotions are triggered by attatchments we make, in other words social programming. 

• Like 1

It depends on how you think. 
It degrades a man to think too much about The Self.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ion said:

I'm pretty sure our emotions are triggered by attatchments we make, in other words social programming. 

Sure, by the attachments our brain holds and maintains.  And yes, much, if not most, is social programming.

• Thanks 1

Hmm I figure the primordial self is like a perfect mirror, conceptually speaking. As for a personal self that's kind of like a dirty mirror or one that's warped and not perfect/true. The ego is this dirty mirror which we can choose to clean! So the individual self does exist but it needs a wash, or does it? 

Repeat one-thousand times:

Tend to the work then wash.

"

"

"

Of course this has nothing at all to do with enlightenment and is simply called 'needs must'. 

Edited by Patrick Brown
  • Like 1

so we ave 2 or Three selves now? none of which we are born with?

that is in huge contrast to the whole conceptualization we call self

think about that

"that me over there is totally different from this me"

self would only be what is no different than one thing in on place. if you are claiming any thing as self, than EVERYTHING out side of that physical position and everything that had any difference would be other

if you are claiming that self is in all things, than self would have no form of its own, no actual self so "self" is not only the vastly and extremely wrong term, but also the most vastly and extremely mis leading term because it leads someone to the opposite meaning of what the word actually means so why call what has no self, self?

Edited by ion
  • Like 1

Well, meself didn't exist until I was born.

I pretty sure meself won't exist after I am dead.

Y'all go ahead and play with your selfs.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Well, meself didn't exist until I was born.

I pretty sure meself won't exist after I am dead.

Y'all go ahead and play with your selfs.

What if I finally discover my true self and it turns out I'm not me but I'm you.  What then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field. I'll meet you there.

When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase "each other" doesn't make any sense.

Rumi

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Apech said:

What if I finally discover my true self and it turns out I'm not me but I'm you.  What then?

What then?  Bend over and kiss your ass goodbye.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Apech said:

more like the True Self realizes/uncovers that it is not a composite/transitioning self, although still making use of and polishing same.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Not even close.

true, don't get attached to the wind just let it pass (and dissipate  into the void)

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

What then?  Bend over and kiss your ass goodbye.

If I could bend over that far ... well I'll leave that to your imagination.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Apech said:

Unfortunately I read that, and my imagination created a very disturbing image. 😁 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Apech said:

You wouldn't want my imagination either.

• Haha 1