MASTERforge

Tao Bums Forum - Growth and development

When I first joined Tao Bums it was an open discussion forum that was for me a valuable resource. I felt I could ask questions and there were a lot of people who were a valuable help to my learning.

I see we have over 7,000 members now and the atmosphere is turning a little sour. A review of the forum is much needed.

Perhaps the "Taoist Discussion" forum needs to be broken into separate sections so it is easier to navigate if you are looking for information or help. This would be better than the run of random posts. Different interests will hang out in different sections so we are less likely to offend each other. A forum on Yang style Taiji can be separate from Kunlun for example. this will cater for all different tastes of Taoism.

The forum structure from when I started has changed little but the membership has grown massively. We need to adjust to this growth otherwise the forum will stagnate and die. This is already happening as I see there are a lot of arguments and random posts that aren't relevant at all.

What are other peoples thoughts on the future and development of the forum?

I agree with you. Random posts in various topics always scatters the foundation of the topic. I hope particular sections can be created to accommodate the various topics and their categories. It would alter the stage of arrogance on these forums, and make room for wise teachings, and proper guidance.

Its usual that forums turn into a festival of comparisons... a "bitch-fest" as my Fellow Dharma brother would put it.

Peace and Happiness,

Lin

When I come here, I always - invariably - click on "view new posts". That way I just look down the list of what is current and read what interests me.

Simple! :)

Yes. I am glad that a Kunlun forum is being built. That will really give those who are having amazing experiences the opportunity to discuss the dramatic changes they are going through without having to deal with people who's only interest is to come in here and "piss people off."

I am actually surprised that Sean allowed someone like that to come in and raise hell all over his forum for so long.

Edited by Satori

cutting off fools doesn't work. They can always just come back with new names and the same old BS...

It seems to be the price we pay for expansion at a fast rate, as has been the case over the past several months...

I think kindness and sarcasm and anger and all the rest just serve to foster and encourage some fools...

The ignore function will at least provide a buffer, that will take the offending folks off yr own radar...

It may be that when a member gets several members putting them on the ignore lists , they become marginalized anyway, as few will see the old tripe in the first place...

But things have become somewhat unwieldy 'round here.

It may be that we can transcend the current influx of negativity with "flying colors"... I do trust this community will grow and prosper dispite the rancor and trials of our sometimes painful growth spurts. So please do not give up - this has always been a place to share and learn. We just need a bit of time and readjustment to sort out how to move forward...

Sean has offered us a place to reside in our many realms of thought and searchings. A real blessing for many, where sharing works and thrives.... Bumps in the road aside, we are on a collective path through our communications with eachother...

Contentions are strong right now. Not only here but in the wider world as well -the year of the Rat can belike that... :rolleyes:

Yes. I am glad that a Kunlun forum is being built. That will really give those who are having amazing experiences the opportunity to discuss the dramatic changes they are going through without having to deal with people who's only interest is to come in here and "piss people off."

I am actually surprised that Sean allowed someone like that to come in and raise hell all over his forum for so long.

I have bitten my tongue (or maybe typing finger :) ) quite a bit recently. I learned a long time ago that you cannot reason with unreasonable people. Everytime I have let myself get sucked into one of these mud slinging matches I have regreted it. Not because I can't hold my own, but because it really is a draining and consuming experience. It's fine to disagree, but we should not let our emotions cloud our thoughts, and we should always be respectful of our fellow posters.

As far as Kunlun goes, I think it needs its own forum. Almost daily there seems to be a new thread popping up, and most of the questions have already been answered elsewhere.

I would like to see a Kunlun forum with stickies that give an intro and experiences then the open forum. I have no idea what Kunlun is apart from a quick browse at their website. So if I could have something like this it would either interest me to start practice of decide that its not for me.

It would be nice for me also if there were taiji forums, meditation forums, and discussions on Dao De Jing. That way I can decide which one I fancy entering. At the moment I visit and see whats happening in the "Taoist Discussion" forum. Most of which I have no interest in.

It would be good if moderation was given to long time members and respected people in their fields of practice. So we can weed out the trash and keep it relevant. Hopefully not too self censoring as I have noticed on a few forums my topics disappearing when I have thought them perfectly relevant. Keeping it on topic and civil is a must. By all means lets have an argument with relevant points but when it turns to a slanging match simply close the topic.

This forum is too big for only a few people to moderate. I think it needs our help to grow and prosper to become the best Taoist source on the internet.

I hope those in charge are good enough to take this into consideration as I like the forum and there are some really good people on here. It would be a shame for them to disappear.

Oolong Rabbit, agree and well said.

I apologize for engaging the amount that I did, especially as a newbie, and I'm very glad to learn that TTB is not usually like this...becaue along with the mud-slinging there is also a LOT of condescending "you're obviously inferior but don't worry, someday you will see the truth" being tossed about. That attitude, imo, will clear out a forum faster than the occasional cock-fight... as long as the fight isn't continuously fed, that is. Have you seen the view count for those two threads?? It's like driving slow past a bad accident, lookie lookie... :mellow:

Ditto on separating out most of the kunlun stuff into a separate forum. Short term I'd love to see someone like Mantra start a Personal Page here and have it separated into Practice, problems, history and whatever.

What we may consider trolls are the price of a larger group. I could take the sniping comments better if there was some positivity added, instead of what comes off as egoic masturbation.

Michael

When I come here, I always - invariably - click on "view new posts". That way I just look down the list of what is current and read what interests me.

Simple! :)

It took me a while to discover "view new posts" (top-right, doh!). Once I did, it simplified things a lot.

ALSO ONE SUGGESTION. This would maybe also help to some current problems.

In the european forums I know the Webmaster can close a thread when he/she feels that:

- people are too rude to each other

- the thread is circling around something else than originally stated in the thread

- there is no forthcoming in the thread

i think this is very good becuase it saves peoples energies. also there is a big barrior for people who are what we describe as trolls.

one example:

a "troll" wants to make something bad. he opens a thread. people are insulting each other or not. there is a conclusion. thats it. if now everyone repeats itself the webmaster closes the thread.

the barrior to open the same kind of thread for the "troll" is much higher and he/she will make a fool of himself (hopefully ....).

just a thought.

love and peace!

But then, I dont wear vaginal deodorant and panty liners, either.

:lol: I'm not sure that most of the users on this forum can relate to that statement ( a lot of yang energy here).

But then, I dont wear vaginal deodorant and panty liners, either.

Thanks for sharing

Edited by mYTHmAKER

I'd find it entertaining if moderation became the norm. This forum was founded, after all, because a certain segment of the HealingTao forums actually enjoyed posts from the Ron Jeremeys of the world, and discussion that wasn't strictly canonical.

The reason Kunlun dominates the board is because people delight in arguing. :) If it weren't Kunlun, it'd be something else. Don't forsake the basics, keep things in perspective, and maybe post an image macro or two. :) It'll be fine.

YA DONT MENTION DA DAM CHEMTRAILS NOMORE BECUZ YU R ALL PUSSYWHIPPED!!!!!

OMG Cat is channeling Ron Jeremy. The forum really has gone to hell lmao!

P.S. What the hell does vaginal deodorant smell like? Everyday I understand you feminine beings less and less. I think this is in line with the Tao.

LOL

If there are more forums inside. Like one for KL, one for the HT, one for whatever, will people be allowed to discuss the value of those teachings in those forums? Will the people be allowed to discuss the value of those teachings outside those forums?

What I mean is:

A thread like:

Kunlun, a complete path or a complete fluff

will be allowed... where?

Because I can see how the people devoted to a path would not want that kind of posts inside (we want a place that is safe).

While I can see how people who are not interested will not want those posts outside.

My take is that each forum will have to accomodate ALL the posts on a topic. Both pro and against. But I can see how as soon as there will be moderators that are actually practicing that path, those posts will be in real danger of be removed.

So on the forum on HT, here at TBs, people could discuss pro or against HT. If they only want to hear the pro-bell then they should go to the forum (if there is any) in the website of that school. This would make sure that TB never becomes a forum which is perceived as a forum only for a single school.

Now, Cat, can you please expand more on the deodorant topic. It sounded so full of promising details!

LATE ADDITION: after writing this I realise how much this is the opposite of what I was saying before, on the same topic, in the out of topic thread. The truth is that I am very confused. On one sense I feel that TB, is growing, and to keep on growing need to start to differentiate. On the other hand I can see how this is full of difficulties, and maybe it would be better off not differentiate, and let the extra people make the forum unconfortable enough for some people to leave. Thus finding a lower balance.

Edited by Pietro

Sigh... miss that guy. Anyone heard any updates from our jing master?

Alright, I've been doin' some researchin':

Vaginal deodorant

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How to Control Vaginal Discharge (eHow.com) "Avoid using vaginal deodorant sprays. They can cause irritation."

FPA Health: Sex Matters: Factsheets: The Vagina - Common Vaginal Conditions on the vagina: "It has a particular smell which is quite normal, and certainly isn't noticeable as long as you wash regularly ... A healthy vagina also has no need for a vaginal deodorant."

[edit] Contents

FDS Feminine Deodorant Spray warns that the product is flammable.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaginal_deodorant"

Flammable????? Be careful lighting the cigarette up after sex fellas!