thelerner

Where are the Taoist Sages?

2 hours ago, Jetsun said:

The vast majority of them were killed by Mao's purges, mostly what is left are fragments and partial teachings, if you are incredibly lucky you might stumble upon a genuine oral lineage but they are incredibly rare.

Some of the very few lucky ones were able to escape China before that happened.

In one book I read it describes how some of the Red Brigade invaded a Taoist Monastery up near Mongolia and killed the 125 year old master.

1 hour ago, Rocky Lionmouth said:

Yo!

If somebody knows where they are dont tell us for Heavens sake, tell THEM to git their elusive selves out and do some actual work.

We’re swamped over here and these people are acting seven kinds of precious, i mean really.

If they are real sages, they should be out there doing some actual work. Who knows who is walking among us. One could even be your local checkout girl.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rara said:

If they are real sages, they should be out there doing some actual work. Who knows who is walking among us. One could even be your local checkout girl.

That is my word. You wanna hear something SERIOUSLY well timed? A more or less hour ago, about the exact same time you posted the above, i was sitting in the only open pharmacy waiting forever for my turn to get my late-arrival prescription for SSRIs, everybody in there is pissed off. Being an introverted sod and getting real close to my discomfort zone, 12+ hours over my dose-time, this hood kid sits his friend down next to me, weaves me into his conversation and starts cracking hysterical jokes, being obnoxious and hilarious.

I tag along because i cant help myself and take a few good breaths. 15 people in the room, 12 of them just start giggling, 3 morons grab their valuables andmove far away from him. He’s still dropping low-key funnies all casually like it’s nothing. Basically everybody relaxes because this youngster defuses the room.

Then this real annoying lady, talking to herself, pissed and pissed off, sits next to me and my anxiety swings back in effect.

I joke you not, that kid takes a look at me, cracks something hilarious and asks to switch numbers with me, knowing full well i came in half an hour after him. I protest but he sticks his ticket in my hand and BING there go my number, his number.

I go do my business incredulously, bump knuckles and hug the obvious Sage before me, he’s gets all shy, gives me a cocky but cute smile and returns the pleasantries like a gentleman.

That shut me up for callin these guys out :lol:

So FYI: there is a young Sage in Malmö, afroswedish kid from the borough south from me. He knows how to harmonize people’s emotional states and pacify a room full nearing their patience limit, misdirect belligerous alcoholics, he works number magic and knows how to make people work faster without even speaking to them directly.

Great Heart Conquering Gong, Cooling Breeze Gong, Serendipitous Moment Skill and Diamond Reflecting Sight Method.

If you can find him tell him i’m on to his charade and am grateful.

Right, i almost forgot: somewhere in our first interaction the guy even asks me if i have a job for him, making sure that it’s a serious question.

:o

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

They move like breezes.  Without distinction, while emanating freshness, revitalizing and soothing effects in their wake.

Often unnoticed until passing or past, yet the presence is distinct, poignant and potent in its subtlety... as shifting and present as a cooling breeze in the midst of a still, hot, muggy afternoon. 

I used to think of them as medicines... treatments... pills in a way. 

Now I sense they are like the swinging open of a door, where there is no door. 

Yet they emanate opening and the bellows of the tao breathes in their wake, refreshing all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Rocky Lionmouth said:

That is my word. You wanna hear something SERIOUSLY well timed? A more or less hour ago, about the exact same time you posted the above, i was sitting in the only open pharmacy waiting forever for my turn to get my late-arrival prescription for SSRIs, everybody in there is pissed off. Being an introverted sod and getting real close to my discomfort zone, 12+ hours over my dose-time, this hood kid sits his friend down next to me, weaves me into his conversation and starts cracking hysterical jokes, being obnoxious and hilarious.

I tag along because i cant help myself and take a few good breaths. 15 people in the room, 12 of them just start giggling, 3 morons grab their valuables andmove far away from him. He’s still dropping low-key funnies all casually like it’s nothing. Basically everybody relaxes because this youngster defuses the room.

Then this real annoying lady, talking to herself, pissed and pissed off, sits next to me and my anxiety swings back in effect.

I joke you not, that kid takes a look at me, cracks something hilarious and asks to switch numbers with me, knowing full well i came in half an hour after him. I protest but he sticks his ticket in my hand and BING there go my number, his number.

I go do my business incredulously, bump knuckles and hug the obvious Sage before me, he’s gets all shy, gives me a cocky but cute smile and returns the pleasantries like a gentleman.

That shut me up for callin these guys out :lol:

So FYI: there is a young Sage in Malmö, afroswedish kid from the borough south from me. He knows how to harmonize people’s emotional states and pacify a room full nearing their patience limit, misdirect belligerous alcoholics, he works number magic and knows how to make people work faster without even speaking to them directly.

Great Heart Conquering Gong, Cooling Breeze Gong, Serendipitous Moment Skill and Diamond Reflecting Sight Method.

If you can find him tell him i’m on to his charade and am grateful.

Right, i almost forgot: somewhere in our first interaction the guy even asks me if i have a job for him, making sure that it’s a serious question.

:o

I'm having a lot of synchronicity happening at the moment :)

Whether or not this was a sage, I do find it fascinating how you'll find young individuals with such qualities - and elder individuals with non whatsoever. Some might say that may be from cultivation in previous lives. Hmmmmm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rara said:

I'm having a lot of synchronicity happening at the moment :)

Whether or not this was a sage, I do find it fascinating how you'll find young individuals with such qualities - and elder individuals with non whatsoever. Some might say that may be from cultivation in previous lives. Hmmmmm.

Guess you’re keepin up with the times then. 😂

For me either was or some Sage sent one of his friends to poke fun a d help me out.

Maybe its like you say, or maybe they manifest in those who are needed right there. Besides those lineage guys who obviously hang out in temples dling their thing.

My Older Brother and me always had this drunk show up early as shiet when we were doing polearm and form training in the park. Suddenly he’d just be sitting there, fresh golden beercan in his hand (bought from where nobody know because it was way early) and looking at us, whooping loudly when Sihing or me finally aced certain techniques. He’d salute us and just ghost right before we called it off for the morning. I think he was limping and we used to joke it might be old Iron Crutch having a cordial laugh at us.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rocky Lionmouth said:

Guess you’re keepin up with the times then. 😂

For me either was or some Sage sent one of his friends to poke fun a d help me out.

Maybe its like you say, or maybe they manifest in those who are needed right there. Besides those lineage guys who obviously hang out in temples dling their thing.

My Older Brother and me always had this drunk show up early as shiet when we were doing polearm and form training in the park. Suddenly he’d just be sitting there, fresh golden beercan in his hand (bought from where nobody know because it was way early) and looking at us, whooping loudly when Sihing or me finally aced certain techniques. He’d salute us and just ghost right before we called it off for the morning. I think he was limping and we used to joke it might be old Iron Crutch having a cordial laugh at us.

Stop being online as I log in :P

Ah, ole Iron Crutch. You never know!

This takes me back years - the old guy that looks like Doc from Back to the Future who kept springing up. Or everywhere I walked, a fella that looks like Levi Roots, in the exact same blazer and jeans every day. I was dropping leaflets for my friend's pizza shop at the time - so I was driven to different locations all over town. And Huddersfield is a BIG town. This guy was always on foot. So what was he doing crossing paths with me every day?

You just never know. But I think subconsciously, we do.

Edited by Rara
  • Like 1

Looking up Taoist temple nearby didn't work well, but Taiji Bum had a great listing.. course its a few years old. 

On 3/14/2008 at 12:33 PM, Taiji Bum said:

Here's a start.

Tao Academy

15 Kansas Street

Eureka Spring, AR 72632

Phone: 501-253-9110

Taoism

Taoist Sanctuary

PO Box 27806

Tempe, AZ 85282

Taoism

Hsien Taoist Monastery

760 Cathedral Dr.

Aptos, CA 95003

Phone: 831-688-5514

Taoism

Chi Tao Kuan (Temple of Chi Tao)

2488 M.L. King Jr. Wy.

Berkeley, CA 94704

Taoism

Taoist Resource Center

2800 W. Victory Blvd.

Burbank, CA 91505

Phone: 626-848-2935

Taoism

World I-kuan Tao Headquarters

11645 Lower Azusa Road

El Monte, CA 91732

Phone: 626-279-1097

Fax: 626-279-1098

Taoism

Taoist Temple

12 China Alley

Hanford, CA 93230

Phone: 559-582-4508

Taoism

Teo Chew Association

649 North Broadway

Los Angeles, CA 90012

Center Profile

Taoism

Union of Tao and Man-College of Tao and Traditional Chinese Medicine

117 Stonehaven Way

Los Angeles, CA 90049

Phone: 213-472-9970

Taoism

Taoist Institute of Los Angeles

10630 Burbank Blvd.

North Hollywood, CA 91601

Phone: 818-760-4219

Taoism

Taoist Center

420 Fourteenth St.

Oakland, CA 94612

Phone: 510-763-9352

Taoism

Zhi Dao Guan - The Taoist Center

3824 Macarthur Boulevard

Oakland, CA 94619

Phone: 510-336-0129

In the News

Taoism

Taoist Sanctuary of San Diego

4229 Park Blvd

San Diego, CA 92103

Phone: 619-692-1155

Taoism

Chi Sin Buddhist & Taoist Association

1051 Powell

San Francisco, CA 94108

Phone: 415-982-8175

Taoism

Ching Chung Taoist Association

615 Grant Avenue

San Francisco, CA 94108

Phone: 415-433-2623

Taoism

Inner Research Institute

143 Ripley Street

San Francisco, CA 94110

Phone: 415-285-9408

Taoism

Jeng Sen Buddhism & Taoism Association

146 Waverly Pl.

San Francisco, CA 94108

Phone: 415-397-2941

Taoism

Kong Chow Temple

855 Stockton

San Francisco, CA 94108

Phone: 415-788-1339

Taoism

San Pao Temple

150 Van Ness Avenue

San Francisco, CA 94109

Phone: 415-776-6538

Taoism

Orthodox Taoism

Santa Cruz, CA

Taoism

Daoist Medical Qigong Center

Sebastopol, CA

Phone: 707-829-1855

Taoism

Fung Loy Kok Taoist Temple/Taoist Tai Chi Society

1060 Bannock Street

Denver, CO 80204

Phone: 303-623-5163

Taoism

Fung Loy Kok Institute of Taoism/Taoist Tai Chi Society

7560 Sheridan Blvd

Westminster, CO 80003

Phone: 303-431-6094

Taoism

Stillpoint (Taoist University)

Rye Star Route

Wetmore, CO 81253

Taoism

Great River Taoist Center

1325 18th Street NW, Suite 210

Washington, DC 20016

Phone: 703-765-8522 or 202-785-1767

Taoism

1833 Dr. MLK Jr. St. North

N. St. Petersburg, FL 33072

Phone: 727-521-3336

Fax: 727-521-3336

Website: www.taoist.org/branches/usa/florida/stpetersburg/index.htm

Taoism

Genesee Valley Hermitage

PO Box 9224

Moscow, ID 83843-1724

Phone: 208-285-0123

Taoism

Living Tao Foundation

PO Box 846

Urbana, IL 61803

Phone: 217-337-6113

Taoism

Tai Chi Chuan & Chi Kung Association of New Orleans

6499-C Jefferson Highway

Harahan, LA 70123

Phone: 504-889-2669

Taoism

Center of Traditional Taoist Studies

P.O. Box 134

Weston, MA 02193

Phone: 781-899-7120

Center Profile

Taoism

968 Kenmore Avenue

Buffalo, NY 14216

Phone: 716-876-7218

Fax: 716-876-7218

Taoism

Bo Tao Gu

14340 Roosevelt Ave, Suite 7G

Flushing, NY 11354

Phone: 718-896-0909

Taoism

Bo Tao Gu

10025 Queens Blvd. Suite 1P

Forest Hills, NY 11375

Phone: 781-896-0909

Taoism

Healing Tao Center (Taoist Esoteric Yoga Mantak Chia)

12 Bowery, 3rd Floor

New York, NY 10013

Phone: 212-619-2406

Taoism

Abode of the Eternal Tao

1991 Garfield St.

Eugene, OR 97405

Phone: 541-345-8854

Taoism

Eo Omwake--Deer Valley Taoist Center for Arts & Mind, Body Spirit Academy of Martial Art & Self-Cultivation

PO Box 415

Chadds Ford, PA 19317

Phone: 610-932-8571

Taoism

Teen How Chua Ba Temple

1507 Delano

Houston, TX 77003

Phone: 713-236-1015

Taoism

Deer Mountain Taoist Academy

RD 3, Box 109A

Guilford, VT 05301

Taoism

Dohn-o Zen & Taoist Center

10303 Densmore Avenue North

Seattle, WA 98133

Phone: 206-526-1274

Taoism

On 3/26/2018 at 10:27 AM, thelerner said:

.. look up the nearest Taoist temple, one with a real lineage, go there and ask around.  You might find one.  As others pointed out a 'famous' Taoist sage, might be an oxymoron.  Good ones don't seek fame, though sometimes it happens.  

• Like 1

I`ll settle for meeting any ole sage. Taoist practice and philosophy is strictly optional.  Meeting sages is like visiting Yosemite; there`s the possibility of  feeling profoundly moved by the awesomeness of nature , even human nature.  If you have the opportunity to meet a sage, I heartily recommend it.

Years ago I saw a Hasidic Jew singing quietly to himself as he walked down the street in Jerusalem.  There were lots of Hasidim around so that in itself didn`t mean much...but there was just something about this guy.  I knew he had it and I didn`t even know what it was.  I even followed him for a block or so, like a spiritual stalker, just to stay in his presence.  

I think there`s something about sagehood that transcends philosophy and religion as they are normally understood.   A sage is a sage and I believe they exist within all sorts of spiritual traditions and communities -- and also apart from all specific traditions and communities. ( I wouldn`t swear to it  --it`s hard for me to pick up the vibe online - but I think there are even a few lurking around this forum from time to time. )  I like to think that sages from different traditions, Christian and Jew, Buddhist and Taoist, could recognize each other, wink at each other with their third eyes across the dinner table so to speak. But even sages are human and that kind of openness is probably too much to ask for.

You know that old saw about sages?  It takes one to know one. We recognize a sage with our own sagey eyes.  There`s the power in softness and the softness in power.  There`s love.  But they don`t so much show us their virtuous qualities as illuminate our own.

LL

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Winnie The Pooh is a great Daoist sage.

Other than that, look inside yourself...

^^^ this ^^^

This is your life, people. Own it. Find teachers and learn, but at some point you will need to forge your own path. It's scary moving into uncharted territory, but don't let that stop you.

• Like 4

A painter at work, seeing my vajra necklace asked me "oh!  do you have a teacher?"

"absolutely... you, him, the floor, the door, that bush outside, the sky... the wind... ... ... teachers everywhere"

now I look out and realize... where would I look and seek outside, for that which already lies... within?

Edited by silent thunder
add 'teachers everywhere'
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

I`ll settle for meeting any ole sage. Taoist practice and philosophy is strictly optional.  Meeting sages is like visiting Yosemite; there`s the possibility of  feeling profoundly moved by the awesomeness of nature , even human nature.  If you have the opportunity to meet a sage, I heartily recommend it.

Years ago I saw a Hasidic Jew singing quietly to himself as he walked down the street in Jerusalem.  There were lots of Hasidim around so that in itself didn`t mean much...but there was just something about this guy.  I knew he had it and I didn`t even know what it was.  I even followed him for a block or so, like a spiritual stalker, just to stay in his presence.  

I think there`s something about sagehood that transcends philosophy and religion as they are normally understood.   A sage is a sage and I believe they exist within all sorts of spiritual traditions and communities -- and also apart from all specific traditions and communities. ( I wouldn`t swear to it  --it`s hard for me to pick up the vibe online - but I think there are even a few lurking around this forum from time to time. )  I like to think that sages from different traditions, Christian and Jew, Buddhist and Taoist, could recognize each other, wink at each other with their third eyes across the dinner table so to speak. But even sages are human and that kind of openness is probably too much to ask for.

You know that old saw about sages?  It takes one to know one. We recognize a sage with our own sagey eyes.  There`s the power in softness and the softness in power.  There`s love.  But they don`t so much show us their virtuous qualities as illuminate our own.

LL

I've been chilling with some very peaceful and lovely Muslims as of late. Their philosophy is not too far from the Taoist one, really.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rara said:

Stop being online as I log in :P

Ah, ole Iron Crutch. You never know!

This takes me back years - the old guy that looks like Doc from Back to the Future who kept springing up. Or everywhere I walked, a fella that looks like Levi Roots, in the exact same blazer and jeans every day. I was dropping leaflets for my friend's pizza shop at the time - so I was driven to different locations all over town. And Huddersfield is a BIG town. This guy was always on foot. So what was he doing crossing paths with me every day?

You just never know. But I think subconsciously, we do.

Maybe i will, maybe i wont, how about that? 😘

Doc and Levi Roots the teleporter? Däng Ra, sounds like Huddersfield is a good place to go wtf-spotting!

i agree, we know, and yet we dont. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Rocky Lionmouth said:

Maybe i will, maybe i wont, how about that? 😘

Doc and Levi Roots the teleporter? Däng Ra, sounds like Huddersfield is a good place to go wtf-spotting!

i agree, we know, and yet we dont. 

You just did it again. Logged in 5 mins ago haha

• Haha 1

On 3/27/2018 at 4:09 AM, Stosh said:

I asked her already, she said ,"next to the paprika"

I also heard, "there's not so much thyme left if you're looking for one"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only sage you could personally experience is a personal mindful choice away from appreciating the real of this moment.  Otherwise one can feel energy/sound/light/touch which a being may offer, but will not be appreciating the nature of sage but rather worshiping a constructed visual/theoretical fantasy model of what's available to optionally be appreciated to the limits of ones choice in mindfulness for this single fleeting moment.  

Re-ligion is a byproduct of copying someone elses method into sage state of being in Now, which may optionally workout for whomever mindfully chooses to manifest it with every breath in, every breath out, and the times in between.  A Buddhist/Taoist/Shiva/Christian/Muslim sage, all are equally capable of choosing to appreciate the same real in Now.  This is choosing to appreciate the aspects which are the of the Dao but do not limit it the Dao to be experienced in unlimited choices in manifestation by infathomable and innumerate beings. 

Unlimited Love,

-Bud

Edited by Bud Jetsun
  • Like 1

OK kids, I found a sage for you, only problem is, he isn't a Taoist, he's Hindu.  However a true mystic, which is what a real sage is, transcends these kinds of petty divisions and sees further.  In addition Taoism and Hinduism have quite a lot in common when it comes to cultivation of high level stuff (not power yoga).  Here we have a sage who likes to have talkfests, something that is more rare in Taoism and more common in Hinduism.   I suppose talkfests are useful if it gets people to meditate, also, he speaks Engrish.

Anyway, here I present to you a true sage - TADAAAA - Sadhguru.  Just about the only guy who's wisdom I am willing to watch.

He has a ton of videos:

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 3

On 3/27/2018 at 10:46 PM, liminal_luke said:

Well said

Whether or not it's too much to ask for depends on how we agree to define Sage...

It should be part of the requirement AFAIAC

• Like 3

On 5/17/2018 at 4:06 PM, Starjumper said:

OK kids, I found a sage for you, only problem is, he isn't a Taoist, he's Hindu.  However a true mystic, which is what a real sage is, transcends these kinds of petty divisions and sees further.  In addition Taoism and Hinduism have quite a lot in common when it comes to cultivation of high level stuff (not power yoga).  Here we have a sage who likes to have talkfests, something that is more rare in Taoism and more common in Hinduism.   I suppose talkfests are useful if it gets people to meditate, also, he speaks Engrish.

Anyway, here I present to you a true sage - TADAAAA - Sadhguru.  Just about the only guy who's wisdom I am willing to watch.

He has a ton of videos:

It seems a good marketer to sell ideas and using big words, it is the reaction after watching his site and his Youtube videos

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GSmaster said:

You have good eyes, I have noticed him too. I have watched only one talk but could confirm from it that he is one of us. 

Similar here, I think I've only watched two of his videos all the way through in six years. and I did recognize him as a brother.  Quite a verbose brother as compared to my 'father' (master) and myself.  His videos come up on my Utube suggestions though so sometimes I take a quick peek, and as synchronicity would have it, the video just happens to address something here or there (I have quit 'there', FB) that is current.  So, being overwhelmed by laziness, I post the video I haven't watched instead of commenting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GSmaster said:

Have you seen his meditation classes? Nuts.

maxresdefault.jpg

Wow, so much sick energy in such a small space!  Poor guy who makes himself put up with it, no wonder he's called Sad Guru.  Taoist wizards usually avoid things like that, because being more selfish they don't want to get contaminated with all the sick energy.

Hopefully he has a very small group of inner door students.  I can see I was very fortunate to have the chance for many years to sit around a small round table with a couple of other guys for hours and shoot the shit with my teacher before and after chi kung practice. 

• Haha 1