C T

New Layout

211 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, Apech said:

Just worked out I can filter by 'logged in' - which gives active visible users I think.

Hey, thanks, Apech.  That works better than what I was doing, which was sorting by display name. It  was fun in the old system to do it that way, because you could also scan the topics guests were looking at. Found some great threads that way!  With the new layout, you can't just scan, since the thread titles are truncated, so you have to hover on most of them to actually read the title. Not a huge loss, probably better ways to spend my time.... but it was fun.

1 person thanks this

32 minutes ago, dawei said:

Yes... of the myriad small things missing, I'm surprised they don't have this setting anymore.

I've been collecting potential plug-ins and did find at least two that we'll evaluate regarding whose online, but ultimately would need to get Sean to approve. 

As to chat, same feeling... but I did find a free plug-in and one paid version which is a one time fee.

I think it is a theme issues... that block just wasn't setup... so looking into "Who's Online"

1 person thanks this

Found it in the block settings. Should be there for everyone (except guests and unapproved members) now I think.

Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 10.57.21 PM.png

3 people thank this

6 hours ago, Daeluin said:

Found it in the block settings. Should be there for everyone (except guests and unapproved members) now I think.

Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 10.57.21 PM.png

Yay!  Fantastic ... thanks!

3 people thank this

Haven't read through, are people having trouble on Firefox browser, with mine I was unable to reply to threads or message of any kind? I am writing this using Chrome.

Edited by Golden Dragon Shining
2 people thank this

1 hour ago, Golden Dragon Shining said:

Haven't read through, are people having trouble on Firefox browser, with mine I was unable to reply to threads or message of any kind? I am writing this using Chrome.

I have not had any issues using Firefox (on OSX). Please be sure to completely clear your cache, as cached data from before the upgrade may still be stored in your browser and cause confusing seeming problems. CTRL+SHIFT+DELETE is the common command to open the clear cache dialogue.

1 person thanks this

On 5/20/2017 at 4:10 PM, Daeluin said:

I've rolled out a bunch of performance tweaks, figured out what went wrong last time.

Reveal hidden contents

Hopefully things are a little smoother and faster load-wise now, than they were since we switched.

I think the old version may have been a little faster, though we are also all-ssl now too, which is nice.

Also system reserves the right to believe that 100 page views by a guest on a single IP address could possibly be 100 individual users :rolleyes:, so our "Online Users" page is likely off by ~500 (right now it says 600+). I've got a support ticket open about this.

So it appears that we can't really do anything about the multiple users-per-ip thing, although we can hide the number of guests from displaying. Also, it appears that whenever there are "hundreds of guests" it means we are getting scanned by a bot. These bots may be friendly or not - lots of spiders out there crawling the entire internets. Tonight I've seen the baidu.com search engine crawling us and over the past 4 hours amazon's alexa has been crawling us.

Couldn't sleep, so good time to work on more server optimizations. Last time I focused on how code is run in the web-server and php-engine. This time I focused on database optimizations, switching the remaining tables from myisam to innodb, which lives more in ram, runs better on more recent mysql software versions, and is faster when writing to tables often (like we do with our posts/likes/edits/etc).

Still getting crawled by alexa, but speeds seem slightly improved now that more of the database is loading from RAM/cache.

In general, these optimizations aren't strictly speed-geared. Speed on a server without much traffic has a lot to deal with how well the code itself is designed. These optimizations are designed for more "industrial-stability," to let the server run under higher volumes of traffic more efficiently, without increasing risk of the server crashing and causing as little slow-down as possible.

I'll continue to monitor the RAM usage and ensure we are in a good place, but that's about all I have planned server-wise.

5 people thank this

Regarding the "Online Users" I filter by "Logged On".  This removes all the "Guests" and shows only the active members.  (Non-active members don't say anything so their presence means nothing to me.)

2 people thank this

Nice work Daeluin.  The Index page now displays members logged in at the bottom.

Now, if you could bring back to life the option for displaying the (logged in) members viewing the threads (like the old system had) I'm pretty sure that would be useful for many members.

Edited by Marblehead

14 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Now, if you could brig back to live the option for displaying the (logged in) members viewing the threads (like the old system had) I'm pretty sure that would be useful for many members.

The "widget" added to the bottom there only has permission options for who can view it, no settings.

Many things are extensible by addons/plugins, however plugins tend to have inferior code security, frequently call resources in non efficient manners, require extra work for upgrading, may not always be maintained beyond a year or two, and can introduce bugs when the main software upgrades.

Alexa still going strong with 550+ hits in the past 30 minutes. That seems to be when the Online Users age out.

2 people thank this

Alexa finally left us, just in time for Baidu to arrive.

There is a request in the conf for bots to wait 18s between page loads, so if they listen that should help.