C T

New Layout

2 minutes ago, cheya said:

Thank you Daeluin!!!

I think that #4 means one of our very good friends will stick around! 

I'm celebrating!

:)

There are some neat new things but some seem a bit intrusive towards keeping our privacy.   I'm glad folks have chimed in regarding their observation and feelings and we welcome for more comments.

The one to 'ignore a topic' is actually very good... even to ignore a sub-forum.   We'll have to see if IP.B goes that route of individual control as the Activity stuff seems to be in that vein.

• Like 6

I find it mildly annoying that I get logged out periodically.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brian said:

Might be a change of IP that logs you out. I got an error saying there was a conflict with my IP, happened on Monday, but not since.

8 hours ago, Trunk said:

More emoticons 'd be fun.  :rolleyes:

There is a feature to 'add emoticons'.   I tested it and it was straightforward to do... but they have to be the right size and transparent background.

I didn't find any as small and clear as the base set but if anyone knows where to get some, let us know.

• Like 1

I wondered where 'friends' went... found the reason it is not around anymore:

Here

4 - Followers

Followers replace friends in IPS4, and the user's followers are shown in this block. Instead of requiring mutual acknowledgement as with the traditional friends system (an approach that isn't entirely useful in a community of anonymous users), in IPS4 you follow users whom you find interesting in order to be updated when they contribute to the community. Users can of course prevent others from following them, if that is a concern to them. We'll have more details on how followers works in a later entry.

I'm not sure they needed to be replaced... I might like you to be a friend but it doesn't mean I want you following me around :D

• Like 3

Scanning recent activity is slow and limiting:

instead of seeing the the most recent topic activity - we see the most recent posting activity which gives a much less broad quick scan.

it is also involving us much more in topics we may wish to ignore altogether because now there are one or two sentence long snippets in the scan so we don't just see "trump" as an example but we now see parts of the opinions expressed. 

If you are trying to stimulate the reactive minds then this is a great thing - very fox newsy - but if you are wanting to allow a quick scan of topics without "headlines" from the most recent opinions and framing of issues - the previous simple listing method with the name of the last poster was much cleaner and far faster and more refreshing.

This is in line with also being able to ignore topics altogether.

On another note:

when choosing to un-ignore someone we have choosen to "ignore" in our control panel, you now have to answer one of three questions instead of just having them come to life in the current discussion. Previously you just pressed the hidden comment and it un-hid with no question having to be answered.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

Hi @Spotless - this was not a choice we had to change things. We in the staff are discovering how to navigate the new changes just as much as everyone else. This is the after-effect of migrating our 2-year-old software that was no longer supported, into the new, completely rewritten software. The developers who write this software decided to make this rewrite, and many things have changed. We waited a long time before migrating/upgrading, but did so because the old software was beginning to have issues, and would randomly go down without reason.

In terms of the All Activity feed, it is possible you are able to use the Custom Activity feed to tailor this to your needs, I'm not sure as I haven't played with this much. Brian left a post explaining that more here and here.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brian said:

Yep, happens to me too. Still. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, C T said:

Yep, happens to me too. Still. 

Really? Hmm.... I had this happen a couple of times and thought it was because we had enabled CloudFlare caching to help speed things up. I disabled it and haven't had this happen to me since.

Please make sure to flush your browser caches and restart them, as it is possible there is still something trying to load from CloudFlare... and please let me know if that still continues to happen. @Brian You too.

I will not be as available over the next few days but will try to check in a couple times a day.

• Like 1

Just now, Daeluin said:

Really? Hmm.... I had this happen a couple of times and thought it was because we had enabled CloudFlare caching to help speed things up. I disabled it and haven't had this happen to me since.

Please make sure to flush your browser caches and restart them, as it is possible there is still something trying to load from CloudFlare... and please let me know if that still continues to happen. @Brian You too.

I will not be as available over the next few days but will try to check in a couple times a day.

Seems to be a timeout due to inactivity.  It is happening on my Android as well as on two different Win10 computers.  I typically leave TDB open everywhere and pop in from whatever device I happen to be on at the moment.  Previous instance almost never kicked me out but I find myself logging back in several times a day now.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Daeluin said:

Most of my online activities are done incognito, so there's hardly anything in cache that needs flushing. 

Thank you all the same... you've been simply awesome, doing all this for us. Cheers!!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Brian said:

Seems to be a timeout due to inactivity.  It is happening on my Android as well as on two different Win10 computers.  I typically leave TDB open everywhere and pop in from whatever device I happen to be on at the moment.  Previous instance almost never kicked me out but I find myself logging back in several times a day now.

I wasn't 'kicked out' till you mentioned it :D

And it was within seconds of being online and active.   ^_^

I decided to hit F5 and I was logged back on :huh:

• Like 2

I noticed the font option is no longer there.. I used it quite a lot, and will miss it. Could it be reinstated please? If not, no worries. Thank you! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dawei said:

I wasn't 'kicked out' till you mentioned it :D

And it was within seconds of being online and active.   ^_^

I decided to hit F5 and I was logged back on :huh:

I'll try a refresh next time -- if there is a next time. Hasn't happened to me since first thing this morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C T said:

I noticed the font option is no longer there.. I used it quite a lot, and will miss it. Could it be reinstated please? If not, no worries. Thank you! 

I assume in the editor part of posting/replying.   Can you say exactly what you cannot do now ?

11 minutes ago, dawei said:

I assume in the editor part of posting/replying.   Can you say exactly what you cannot do now ?

There used to be a drop-down which allowed you to select from several different font styles.  It seems to be gone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daeluin said:

Hi @Spotless - this was not a choice we had to change things. We in the staff are discovering how to navigate the new changes just as much as everyone else. This is the after-effect of migrating our 2-year-old software that was no longer supported, into the new, completely rewritten software. The developers who write this software decided to make this rewrite, and many things have changed. We waited a long time before migrating/upgrading, but did so because the old software was beginning to have issues, and would randomly go down without reason.

In terms of the All Activity feed, it is possible you are able to use the Custom Activity feed to tailor this to your needs, I'm not sure as I haven't played with this much. Brian left a post explaining that more here and here.

I could not be more appreciative of everything you guys do here and understand the problems and positives you are encountering - zero problem with any of that - just wanted to clarify what I am seeing from my end in order to help clarify on your end what you may or may not already see.

Thank you - in gratitude

David

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Brian said:

There used to be a drop-down which allowed you to select from several different font styles.  It seems to be gone.

Ah... I get it... I have used very rarely a few others for spacing.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dawei said:

Ah... I get it... I have used very rarely a few others for spacing.  

I don't, either -- in fact, I use the html codes for formatting almost exclusively.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brian said:

I don't, either -- in fact, I use the html codes for formatting almost exclusively.

ok, but can you set fonts in the html coding ?

6 minutes ago, dawei said:

ok, but can you set fonts in the html coding ?

Yeah, but you have to remember their names and the proper format for the string.  I never bother with fonts here so...

Let's see!

Test

Test 2

EDIT: Yep, that works. (Ariel and then Courrier)

EDIT2: Used to have a button to toggle between plain-text editor and WYSIWYG, too...

Edited by Brian

13 minutes ago, Brian said:

EDIT2: Used to have a button to toggle between plain-text editor and WYSIWYG, too...

It is now called preview and is on the far right.

• Like 1