awaken

Is Tai chi fake?

55 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Green Tiger said:

If you want to become an effective martial artist quickly, tai chi and aikido are not for you.  If you want to learn to use tai chi or aikido as martial arts, you'd best be prepared to devote a lot of time and focus to them.

I also used to think this way, but I discovered I was wrong.  I discovered this in my kung fu class, a kung fu based on tai chi, wing chun, etc, the internal martial arts.

It turns out that if you just focus on the applications and forget all the forms and push hands that you can learn some really effective stuff quite quickly.  Of course learning the forms does help, as does push hands, if you want to go far, but just knowing some methods can be absolutely effective.

To illustrate this I will take the time to share a story that my applications teacher told me.  A young feller was brought to class by his mom, who really wanted him to learn self defense.  The kid wasn't so interested and really wanted to learn piano instead, so he dropped out after three months. My teacher referred to him as Little Sissy Boy.

Well this guy was working at a fast food burger place one evening and this big African American came to the window and demanded a free burger.  The kid said he couldn't do that so the black guy said he was going to return at closing time.

So at closing time there were 5 - Five - (5) big black bruisers waiting for him when he came out of work and they attacked him.  The result of this was that four of them went down and didn't get up for awhile, and three of them had to go to the hospital.  The big tough attackers told the police that little sissy boy had attacked them, but there had been a couple of police sitting in an unmarked car there and they saw the whole thing.  My teacher said that he had learned well and he just accidentally did everything right.

So perhaps there are other reasons that traditional tai chi takes decades to get to the defense, and a lot of those aren't ever going to get to the level of sophistication of what my teacher was teaching us.

Edited by Starjumper
1 person thanks this

I have yet to read anything that qualifies this guy has a Tai Chi Master. He may be just someone who studies taiji and teaches taiji but has not yet mastered it.

The fact that he lost a match has nothing to do with taiji. Taiji is an understanding of principles based on the study of taiji.  It would seem that this man's understanding of taiji is not quite what he feels it is.

1 person thanks this

If someone was driving a race car and lost a race or crashed the car. Would we then say a car was no good or the driver had no skill.  

A Highly-skilled driver can win a race with a poorly designed car.  The best car cannot make up for lack of skill from a poor driver. 

Edited by windwalker
1 person thanks this

My Tai Chi is so bad I would have just pulled my .38 and shot the MMA guy before he got close enough to hit me.

2 people thank this

Taichiquan isnt fake just a lot of fake teachers....Ya know the teachers who care nothing of fame trophies admiration and money often come across to the average person as an asshole.....

2 people thank this