awaken

Is Tai chi fake?

272 posts in this topic

There is a lot of dirty washing being done in the public arena of this thread. It is a rather boring soap opera.

1 person thanks this

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, Chang said:

There is a lot of dirty washing being done in the public arena of this thread. It is a rather boring soap opera.

p. 92, 

In this more advanced practice, both agonist and antagonist contract simultaneously - the first isotonically in shortening, and the latter eccentrically in lengthening, in effect they work against each other and create a dynamic tension between the paired muscles.

internal oppositional exertion....is more than anything a mental shift in awareness....such omni-directional mutually cancelling efforts engage the connective tissue web continually, they increase the elastic strength of the frame even while an external observer discerns no apparent movement.

Citing the book

Masters of Perception: Sensory-Motor Integration in the Internal Martial Arts.

by Jan Diepersloot

Vol. 3, 2013.

This is an amazing book! The author gives the same Wuji-Tai Chi posture secret that I have in my free pdf - and now says the same secret I have as the core of the neidan training.

http://warriorsofstillness.com

is his website.

I emailed the author - sent him the pdf link - https://www.pdf-archive.com/2017/04/10/idiot-s-guide-to-taoist-alchemy/ and told him about Eddie Oshins.

Edited by voidisyinyang

7 hours ago, voidisyinyang said:

I don't hide behind fake names.

Delete all mention of my real name on this website.

I hope you know who I am now.

Thanks.

Can't make fun of FAKE names on this site?

Delete all mention of my real name now.

delete all my posts.

Ban me.

thanks.

Your mother named you "voidisyinyang"?  Really?!?

My mother did name me "Brian", you see -- that's why I use that name on this forum.

2 people thank this

9 hours ago, voidisyinyang said:

This is the hissy-fit.

Delete all my posts now - tell management.

Delete my posts and ban me.

I want action.

No more games.

I'm not management either.  However,

Why are we getting so personal here?  Stop the hissy-fit.  You are a big boy now.  Both of you are.  May you present me with a reflection of reality instead of your egos?

7 hours ago, voidisyinyang said:

nope - you're not sad - you're angry. I can read your energy.

You wouldn't want to see me when I'm angry.

2 people thank this

Posted (edited)

Hi friends, if Starjumper and I can be friends and extend an olive branch, everyone else can too. Just the other day I was ready to go ballistic and go further, but as we see, it doesn't go anywhere, and everyone would like to be right and have their grievances addressed. I don't care about what happened yesterday, I care that we made the effort now and everything is good between he and I. 

I don't know you voidisyinyang, and while I did see the other links, I don't see you in any bad light at all, but I can empathize with your upset. I think everyone here would like to believe we all have our moments and we all aren't perfect, but at the same time, as fellow Dao Bums or Dharma Bums or ____ Bums, whatever, we can all (hopefully) agree that we look at the now and move forward. I certainly don't see you in any bad light, and I get you're not happy about a few things here. I'm not going to tell you what to do, but if you want to give yourself a chance (even if not the others yet), I'm sure we can set this all aside and everything will be all right. 

If I can say I was having a bad moment and so was Starjumper, we already buried the hatchet, and I have no quarrel with him. 

So give yourself a chance voidisyinyang, and everyone else I'm sure will too. Otherwise, if you really feel the need to leave the forum, I sincerely wish you the best of luck, friend. 

Edited by Earl Grey
6 people thank this

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Thank you for taking the time to do this. Please accept my apologies for how I could have handled this better, especially for reacting rather than clarifying. 

Let us start over: Hi, I'm Earl Grey. Pleased to meet you, Starjumper. 

594c6715bd9a3_startover.png.2d6d11332cff000be5ad76913efed3fe.png

Hi Earl, thanks.  That day was a kind of off day for me, so I spent the day on the computer, not a good combination because it tried my patience.   I can see this thread has gone to hell now so lets leave it be.

Just one mention of something =)  To say tai chi is physics is meaningless.  Everything is physics, farting is physics, rocket propulsion, which is similar to farting in some ways, is physics, breaking the accepted laws of physics with special abilities is physics.  So what?  It explains nothing.  It is necessary to explain in detail what aspect of physics is at play and how and why it apples to the subject at hand.  

The experienced members here saw that rocking a train car is not like a strike in any way, and the others don't want to know so why bother?  

Edited by Starjumper
3 people thank this

'scuse me there Void, but that mention of breaking rules was for me, not for you.

4 people thank this

And in truth, you don't even need "push and pull" in order to rock a train car.  All you need is "push and release" in harmony with the reaction to the action.

I love harmony.

4 people thank this

I once knew a young lady named Harmony.  Never got to love her though.

I also knew a young lady named Sunshine.  But she never came up on me.

1 person thanks this

11 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

Hi Earl, thanks.  That day was a kind of off day for me, so I spent the day on the computer, not a good combination because it tried my patience.   I can see this thread has gone to hell now so lets leave it be.

Just one mention of something =)  To say tai chi is physics is meaningless.  Everything is physics, farting is physics, rocket propulsion, which is similar to farting in some ways, is physics, breaking the accepted laws of physics with special abilities is physics.  So what?  It explains nothing.  It is necessary to explain in detail what aspect of physics is at play and how and why it apples to the subject at hand.  

The experienced members here saw that rocking a train car is not like a strike in any way, and the others don't want to know so why bother?  

I'm with you there Starjumper, and I was having an off day too that somehow called me to the computer as well instead of Zuowang and Zhan Zhuang. Let's call it a day on this thread and shelve that discussion on physics for another time as well because I can appreciate your reasoning here too. See you at the pub for a pint of whatever you fancy--be it a lager or even a glass of milk (yes, I'm serious, if I ever really bump into you I'll buy the first round). 

Peace out everyone. 

Tosses revolver up in the air, spins it around, holsters it, waves at everyone with a smile and a nod, and walks off into the sunset.

5 people thank this

6 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Tosses revolver up in the air, spins it around, holsters it, waves at everyone with a smile and a nod, and walks off into the sunset.

Reminded me of this:

Spoiler

shane-main

3 people thank this

Why don't we chalk up the bad feelings generated here to long hot summer days and the fact that the OP was made to create tension and arguments.  We have many here who practice and love Tai Chi.  It's lovely meditative art, that at its highest form is deeply martial.  However you ain't gonna see it in the MMA any time soon, though the wise fighter would do well to take it up after there bodies are breaking down after years of abuse. 

I was taught hard style is for the young, hard/soft for the mature, and soft as one moves on. 

Perhaps we can renew this thread with a better spirit. 

5 people thank this

My Tai Chi is both mental and physical.

Flexibility and coordination on the physical part, mindfulness (awareness) when using the swords.

1 person thanks this

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, thelerner said:

Why don't we chalk up the bad feelings generated here to long hot summer days and the fact that the OP was made to create tension and arguments.  We have many here who practice and love Tai Chi.  It's lovely meditative art, that at its highest form is deeply martial.  However you ain't gonna see it in the MMA any time soon, though the wise fighter would do well to take it up after there bodies are breaking down after years of abuse. 

I was taught hard style is for the young, hard/soft for the mature, and soft as one moves on. 

Perhaps we can renew this thread with a better spirit. 

At the highest level taiji is Dao gong and Shen gong. It's lowest form is martial :)

Edited by dwai
s/marital/martial/
5 people thank this

4 hours ago, dwai said:

At the highest level taiji is Dao gong and Shen gong. It's lowest form is marital :)

yes, but to get that good you have to be married to it. 

2 people thank this

17 minutes ago, thelerner said:

yes, but to get that good you have to be married to it. 

What other way is there to get good at something? :)

1 person thanks this

marital versus martial?

declaring war on ones spouse?

close but sorry no cigars!

2 people thank this

2 minutes ago, dwai said:

What other way is there to get good at something? :)

Well.. sometimes I want something short and sweet   (that's what she said)

and actually it was a play off your comment '..the lowest form is marital' vs. martial.

unless I've fallen for another double entendre. 

3 people thank this

2 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Well.. sometimes I want something short and sweet   (that's what she said)

and actually it was a play off your comment '..the lowest form is marital' vs. martial.

unless I've fallen for another double entendre. 

Oh haha...I didn't realize i had typed "marital" instead of "martial" (freudian slip much?) :D

4 people thank this

Well we have I'm sure some marital conflict between some bums, and certainly martial conflicts from time to time. And for prime examples of mortal conflict see any mo pai thread B).

Its not if but rather when :blink:.

2 people thank this

The civil quality is the inner principle. The martial quality is the outward skill.

Those who have the outward skill but lack the civil principle will be consumed by reckless glory. Discarding the original purpose of the art, they will try to overpower opponents and inevitably lose.

Those on the other hand who have the civil principle but lack the outward skill will be distracted by meditative expectation. They will have no idea what to do in a fight, and they will be destroyed the moment it turns chaotic.

To apply this art upon an opponent, you must understand both the civil and martial qualities.

https://brennantranslation.wordpress.com/2013/09/14/explaining-taiji-principles-taiji-fa-shuo/

Out lines my thoughts on the matter. 

4 people thank this