Songtsan

Supplements you use

Dude, I'm nearly always broke! I usually have less than 5 in my wallet...I spend the majority of my excess on my health. I dumpster dive for clothing and decor - I am decorating my whole apartment with found stuff....I do work trade and live under the radar......

• Like 1

I've spent a good deal of time researching and taking various kinds of supplements, it can be a frustrating thing to do with the overwhelming amount of information out there, often contradictory.  It can also be an expensive habit!

In order to keep things simple and easier on the wallet, I have narrowed down what I consider an effective supplementation regimen:

Millennium Sport's MVP 365/ZMK

Barleans Omega Man Flax Oil

Nordic Natural Fish Oil

Three Lac Probiotic

Spring Dragon Longevity Tea

Of course I try to eat as healthy as possible and get in other healthy superfoods when I can, and have yin yang (mix of hot/room temp) water with whole squeezed lemon, ginger powder, and cayenne pepper first thing in the morning. 

The most essential part of this is the MVP365/ZMK.  The first is a multi-vitamin, the second a multi-mineral.  They separate the vitamins from the minerals to enhance absorbability, and also have everything in more bioavailable forms than most other multis (Krebs cycle intermediates).  

I am not a doctor or scientist so its often hard to sort out the BS from the truth, so I'm left to gauge my own body to determine a product's efficacy, and I feel great with these.  I knew the MVP 365 was legit because contains the same Coenzyme B vitamin complex which I have consistently responded well to in the past.  The ZMK is essentially ZMA with added minerals, including copper, but not calcium which would interfere with the absorption of the other minerals.  I have responded very well to ZMA and the ZMK is ZMA Plus.  You can google or go to amazon (which is where I get mine) for more info. 

Edited by RyanO
  • Like 1

Songtsan, you're missing the following:

Cinnamon (Kidney Yang support)

Schizandria (Kidney Qi support and grasping)

Wallnuts (Kidney Qi support and grasping)

He Shou Wu (Kidney Yin and Yang support)

You do have Goji, which is good for Kidney Jing and Kidney Yin support.

I'm 30 now and experienced in the past couple of years the classic symptoms of Kidney Yin/Yang/Jing deficiency as a male. I've used a lot of supplements and diets to experiment, and lots of noots, but what made the absolute biggest impact on my health was 50g Goji berries a day.

As you can see my emphasis now is pretty much to build from the base of the energetic system, namely the Kidneys. Based on Kevin Wallbridge's suggestion I don't use Ginseng or any other herbs that cannot be used every day.

I prefer to eat the whole foods like Goji, Schizandria and Walnuts and I use Cinnamon in my tea a couple times a day. It's making a huge difference. My cold limbs are warm again, I feel like I'm 16 again in certain departments, if you know what I mean.

I just ordered some schizandria....need to get more Cinnamon, and will make a point to get walnuts today....going to get more Goji berries....I appreciate the recommendations because it motivates me to get them

• Like 1

I just ordered some schizandria....need to get more Cinnamon, and will make a point to get walnuts today....going to get more Goji berries....I appreciate the recommendations because it motivates me to get them

I'm really glad to hear that, I recently made a related post that describes my logic on this further (but I'm no expert):

Kidney jing encompasses both kidney yin and kidney yang, often referred to as the body's original yin and original yang.

Kidney qi is produced by the dynamic interaction between the two, specifically the action of functional/warming kidney yang steaming the material kidney yin.

Kidney yin is the source of all material body fluids, in charge of nourishing and moistening all organ networks.

Kidney yang, sometimes also called true yang, is the source of all types of yang qi. It is the driving force behind all processes of warming, generation, and transformation. The yin and yang aspects of the kidney both rely on each other and control each other. The proper balance between kidney yin and kidney yang is an important precondition for health.

As an ageing male I have recently focused a lot on boosting the kidneys as follows: Jing -> Yin + Yang -> Grasp Qi -> Store Qi

1) Replenish jing and yin jing with Goji.

2) Replenish yang jing with Cinnamon.

3) Balance yin and yang with He Shou Wu.

4) Grasp and retain qi with Walnut.

5) Store qi with Schizandra.

Dean Rehmannia says that available Qi protects the Jing, so I understand it as Qi being a more readily used form of energy. Schizandra is an astringent so it helps to store the Qi that is produced through the interaction of Yin and Yang, after Walnut grasped the Qi that arose from the sufficient Yin and Yang bolstered by Goji and Cinnamon and brought into balance by He Shou Wu.

Using the Walnut produces a very distinct sensation, which is different from the sensation of Yin and Yang replenishing. Walnut grasps the Qi and it causes an unusual warmth just beneath the surface of the skin. On the scalp it feels like it is feeding the hair follicles and circulating through the brain.

Taking Cinnamon to replenish Kidney Yang feels like a more usual type of heat, like you are just hot. The feeling from Qi is different, since it's heat is more calm and healing.

• Like 2

A good cheap and very effective supplement is psyllium seed, ie metamucil.  Unlike most you see results in 24 hours.  Taken for a few days it seems to scour the bowels and lower digestive track, plus balances sugar and insulin, makes you feel fuller.  Its not to be taken every day, but for a few days a month its probably helpful. 

I recently began supplementing my fiber. Changed my life!!! Forgot to mention that in my previous post here.

Bumping this thread because I'm just now getting into the overwhelming supplements game....For anyone that has/is taking turmeric, what brand do you use/find most effective?

I've been experimenting with mushrooms lately.  Medicinal mushrooms, that is.

Harvested some turkey tails, but waiting until I am with my friend until I make some tea with them, as she is very into mushroom medicine too.  ^_^ 

I also have two supplements from Paul Stamets company HostDefense -

The daily immune supplement (http://www.fungi.com/product-detail/product/host-defense-stamets-7-capsules-60ct.html)

I haven't been sick in the last few months, this may  be why.  I am pretty healthy in general though.

and the Agarikon (http://www.fungi.com/product-detail/product/host-defense-agarikon-capsules-60ct.html) which only grows in old-growth forest, has a lot of cultural/medicinal uses throughout history.  When I saw Stamets give a talk in NYC he mentioned this mushroom and I was very intrigued.  I do feel a bit more energetic on days I take it, but it is pretty subtle.  I think these medicines are helpign with Lyme disease (which I got twice...), but that is also hard to know for sure.  At some point, I have to realize that my logic and rationality will only get me so far with medicine and healing and just start to trust my intuition.

Peace~

Futuredaze

• Like 1

if i were to recommend one medicinal mushroom supplement, this would be the one. i generally put a good amount of it into my smoothies :)

http://www.jingherbs.com/STR-12-powder-50-grams-p/312.htm

'STR-12 is a potent health and immune supporting and modulating formula crafted from twelve organic mushroom mycelium. Its name, STR-12 derives from the Chinese Fu Zheng philosophy of "supporting the righteous." This method of health and immune cultivation focuses on supporting the energies of the body that keep us strong and vital. This formula contains all the most effective immune mushrooms in a bio-available powder that is easily taken as a tea or in smoothies.'

• Like 1

I used to experiment with the whole gamut of Orthomolecular, Cognitive Enhancement, and Life Extension protocols.  The only things from that arsenal I never touched are the ones whose effects can potentially be irreversible (e.g. L-Dopa).  However, even with the safest, thoroughly researched and carefully administered combos, I ran into a few surprises.  Most of them nice.  A few, quite challenging.  E.g., one of the amino cocktails coupled with nootropics eliminated my ability to feel guilt, shame, or deference toward authority.  This was not a bad thing, but the downside was that it also eliminated the brakes from my self-expression, so I could tell an authority "you're full of shit" with no remorse, regret, or second-guessing myself.  Without that cocktail I'm a LOT more polite.   :D

That was a long time ago.  Next phase was a series of herbal experiments -- from pretty much all traditions of the world.  I have an extensive herbal library in two languages. 

Next -- focusing on one favorite tradition, TCM.  Replicating (and occasionally creating my own) herbal formulas from that domain.  Of course "herbal" is a shorthand for "earth-derived" as opposed to "lab-created," so it included some animal products and minerals too. 

Next -- external-alchemical goodies, from dit da jow to gem elixirs, to variously charged water, that kind of stuff.   

Currently -- well, ran out of steam, taking a break, too busy or too lazy to keep it up.  Pity.  Now would be the time to apply everything I've learned over the years toward my taoist goals, but I just don't.  So, I maintain a few staples for emergencies, and the only "regular" supplement I take as needed is a good digestive enzyme for whenever I eat out (because the portion is usually larger than my usual) or overdo it with munchies. 

My diet is currently exactly what I want it to be, what I believe I should eat and none of what I believe I shouldn't -- total control.  It's not always like that, but right now it is.  Kudos to me.  :D

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 6

Bumping this thread because I'm just now getting into the overwhelming supplements game....For anyone that has/is taking turmeric, what brand do you use/find most effective?

I dont advocate supplements, but I do advocate eating high nutrient whole foods, and so called "super foods".

You can usually find raw turmeric root in the grocery store these days.  Get that instead - be careful with prep, it has properties of a dye.

goes great in indian food, btw

Edited by 9th
  • Like 1

I am developing a deep love affair with loose leaf teas.

But really no 'supplements', other than good whole food, grown naturally, prepared with love and attention and shared among people I love whenever possible, with many sounds of relish and happiness as we chew and swallow...  coupled with attentive walking, or qi gong and of late, several hours of sitting.

Also, of late, my body will gently remind me that it is very helpful to be empty for some days.

On these occasions, I abstain from food for usually 3-7 days, until the gentle urge to eat comes again.

blissful bellows

• Like 1

Supplementation is what you make of it. If used correctly in conjunction with a healthful diet/mindset it is can be something for which there is no supplement for.... as of present times

Also supplements can fall into different categories such as fixing a deficiency,  or something that boosts adaptive energy. So to say something dismissive of all supplements is a bit harsh

Recently purchased a pound of dried Schizandra berries.  I had no idea how strange they would taste, although I've heard stories... they taste so profoundly strange, since these berries have all five flavors.

I've been doing anywhere from 1-2.5 gram dose per day, probably will keep it in this range.  I'd be interested to try a tea, but I have yet to do this.  I feel a slight increase in energy and definitely some sort of cognitive enhancement, but it is subtle and hard to describe.  I'd love to do a longer write-up and maybe make a separate thread for schizandra berries as I experiment with this curious and very dynamic berry.

Edited by futuredaze
  • Like 2

I tried a schizandra berry at a chinese herb shop once.  Yes indeed, very strange.  The acupuncturist said it´s not something you´d put on your breakfast cereal, but I disagree.  I thought it was delicious.

• Like 2

Hmm...I take the following herbal supplements and vitamins pretty much daily:

Red Chinese/Panax Ginseng

Eleuthero/Siberian Ginseng

Gingko Biloba

Vitamin D

Vitamin B

Damiana tea

I've had problems with chronic fatigue (at the worst point, before I took the supplements, I'd fall asleep every two or three hours) ongoing for several years, coinciding with psychiatric treatment (which I'm getting out of ASAP; bad experience altogether); apparently I enter dream sleep at an abnormally high rate and that stops me from getting proper rest. But the ginseng helps with fatigue and staying awake and the damiana gives me a slight general motivational boost.

Reading everyone else's posts is inspiring me to do away with the other unhealthy stuff I consume. Too much caffeine and processed junk, I think, which doesn't help things either.

I've also got a ton of other herbs I keep on hand for other things, but the above's my daily regimen.

I tried a schizandra berry at a chinese herb shop once.  Yes indeed, very strange.  The acupuncturist said it´s not something you´d put on your breakfast cereal, but I disagree.  I thought it was delicious.

I've read that the Chinese incorporate the berries into dishes.  It is not uncommon for Chinese cuisine to incorporate medicinal food in dishes.  Makes sense, as early texts seem to not distinguish between food and medicine, they are all agent for internal alchemy.  As open-minded as I am, I don't think I'd order anything on a menu with Schizandra, although I would be curious to try a bite of a dish.

Did you try the berries fresh off the vine or dried?  I'd be curious to try them fresh and see how they compare to dried berries.

• Like 1

The berry I tried was dried.  Dragon Herbs has a tincture of schizandra combined with goji berry that I´ve been curious to try for some time now.  I bet it tastes wonderful.  Not cheap though.

• Like 1

Hmm...I take the following herbal supplements and vitamins pretty much daily:

Red Chinese/Panax Ginseng

Eleuthero/Siberian Ginseng

Gingko Biloba

Vitamin D

Vitamin B

Damiana tea

I've had problems with chronic fatigue (at the worst point, before I took the supplements, I'd fall asleep every two or three hours) ongoing for several years, coinciding with psychiatric treatment (which I'm getting out of ASAP; bad experience altogether); apparently I enter dream sleep at an abnormally high rate and that stops me from getting proper rest. But the ginseng helps with fatigue and staying awake and the damiana gives me a slight general motivational boost.

Reading everyone else's posts is inspiring me to do away with the other unhealthy stuff I consume. Too much caffeine and processed junk, I think, which doesn't help things either.

I've also got a ton of other herbs I keep on hand for other things, but the above's my daily regimen.

I was very out of shape when I was younger, in high school, and ate shit food.  Tons of pizza (I would devour entire pies), candy, soda, etc.  It has taken many years, but I feel a lot more energetic and healthy in my mid 20s then when I was a kid.  I used to be lethargic, depressed, and have low self-esteem.  Eating good and exercising have helped a lot, and although it won't help everything, it definitely helps with energy and mood levels.  Seems like you got the right idea with cutting down processed food and caffeine.

• Like 1

the dragon herbs fanboy returns, after having tried various greens mixtures over the years, this one truly is godlike and worth the extra cash

686-Large.jpg

amazing grass would be my choice on a budget and their raw reserve formula (extra sea vegetables) somewhere inbetween

2050b48025716ccec687a2c90208399c.jpg

amazing-grass-raw-reserve-green-superfoo

The idea of supplements comes from the practice of refining and fractionating foods.

To somehow get back some of what was left on the floor of the food factories.

And sell it.

And the fractionated people as a result.

Seek the rest of themselves.

But outdoors, not the chipmunks and squirrels and bears and deer.

Until we give them factory-made "animal chow".

-VonKrankenhaus

The idea of supplements comes from the practice of refining and fractionating foods.

To somehow get back some of what was left on the floor of the food factories.

And sell it.

And the fractionated people as a result.

Seek the rest of themselves.

But outdoors, not the chipmunks and squirrels and bears and deer.

Until we give them factory-made "animal chow".

-VonKrankenhaus

a very high & mighty post considering the constraints of the modern world, a long history of dried foods, extracting herbs etc and the fact that nobody here is living purely on supplements. you are preaching to the choir.

Hi guys.

Can anyone recommend something very effective for short periods of intense studying?

Will shizandra improve remembering?

I'm only using green tea at the moment, but that might not be enough.

I know my main problem is stressing out before exams huh, but chamomile in turn kind of makes me lazy. I need to be alert but calm. So something passively enhancing memory would be best.

Of course I take B, C and magnesium chloride too.

Cocoa maybe?

Recently I use a lot of

cayenne

ginger

garlic

tumeric

paprika

mint

himalayan pink salt

We make broths all throughout the Winter.  I usually carry a thermos with me to work and sip it through the day.  I switch up either chicken based or black bean based, depending on where I'm at... I will add a prodigious amount of the above mentioned and simmer it for several hours.

raw, local honey and apple cider vinnegar are also staples in my diet

though more beneficial to my health and far more important than those, is what I've cut out of my diet.

no more processed wheat, sugar or dairy

for sugars we use raw local honey, cane sugar on occasion, or stevia.

we use brown rice pasta 

and rice flour for baking

and for butter, my wife found Earth's Balance, a vegan product that we substitute for butter that words great.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 3