sean

The Tao Bums is dead, long live The Dao Bums :)

After clicking "view new content" it doesn't seem that the "mark community read" button clears the list... even if I wait 10-15 minutes.  Does it seem that way to others?  Maybe this is a glitch in moving over to theDaobums?

• Like 1

After clicking "view new content" it doesn't seem that the "mark community read" button clears the list... even if I wait 10-15 minutes.  Does it seem that way to others?  Maybe this is a glitch in moving over to theDaobums?

hmm, I don't see "mark as read" under View New at all.

But did just discover that that icon next to the View New Content link, the one that looks like a GPS location marker, is in fact a quick navigation tool, haha :blush:

hmm, I don't see "mark as read" under View New at all.

"View New Content" is in the upper right corner of TDBs screen.

"Mark Community Read" is in the lower left corner ".

They work together to list unread content,

and then mark all as having been read.

Edited by Trunk

Yah, ditto what dustybeijing said. Pinyin has advantages and enormous momentum. Was created by Chinese (vs Wade-Giles), it's the official method of transcription for all of China, Taiwan, etc., all children in China are required to learn pinyin in school, and (afaik) it's the most popular method Chinese use to input characters into a computer via alphabetical keyboards.

If something betters comes along I suspect we'll all be very dead by the time it replaces pinyin. Will be up to some future admin here to redirect us to theDTOWbums.com or whatever.  :D

Sean

Also, I think pinyin is also just more intuitively accurate than Wade-Giles or the earlier Chinese postal map romanization, with a few exceptions like q = "ch," c = "ts" and x = "shee."

Like, 道 is certainly pronounced with a D, not a sharp T sound.  As opposed to Taijiquan or Taiwan.  So, why should it also be spelled with a T?  That's confusing - and I wonder if monolingual English-speakers all accordingly pronounce it like Tao?

The Yale system (Dàu) is probably even more phonetically user-friendly, but also wordier and more cumbersome...

That's confusing - and I wonder if monolingual English-speakers all accordingly pronounce it like Tao?

I was fortunate in that the first translation of the TTC I ever read explained in the introduction that "Tao" should be pronounced with a D in place of the T as in Dow Jones.

• Like 2

I was fortunate in that the first translation of the TTC I ever read explained in the introduction that "Tao" should be pronounced with a D in place of the T as in Dow Jones.

Except totally unlike Dow Jones  <_<

• Like 1

The rapper Common, in an early song, pronounced Dao "tay-oh"

Wasn't that a misuse of the Calypso music "Day-O"?

Also, I think pinyin is also just more intuitively accurate than Wade-Giles or the earlier Chinese postal map romanization, with a few exceptions like q = "ch," c = "ts" and x = "shee."

Like, 道 is certainly pronounced with a D, not a sharp T sound.  As opposed to Taijiquan or Taiwan.  So, why should it also be spelled with a T?  That's confusing - and I wonder if monolingual English-speakers all accordingly pronounce it like Tao?

The Yale system (Dàu) is probably even more phonetically user-friendly, but also wordier and more cumbersome...

Yes I agree 'Dao' is still not a very good pronunciation of the word, it is probably more like 'Dow' or 'Dough'.

Put it in the oven and we get Dao!!!  :P

• Like 3

:excl: you could be a rapper yourself with wordplay like that

Wasn't that a misuse of the Calypso music "Day-O"?

Don't think he's confusing "The highest good is like water" with "Come Mr Tally Man tally me banana"

• Like 2

Don't think he's confusing "The highest good is like water" with "Come Mr Tally Man tally me banana"

Oh well.  Just a thought.

Yes I agree 'Dao' is still not a very good pronunciation of the word, it is probably more like 'Dow' or 'Dough'.

LOL. Nice one!  :D

Well, definitely not "dough" either..

Homer-Simpson.jpg

Dao rhymes with cow, not dough...or d'oh!

• Like 1

I know what Nikolai means...it is a little different.

But maybe...

The Two Monkeys Are Having a Discussion On "The Way" !!

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

• Like 2