sean

The Tao Bums is dead, long live The Dao Bums :)

Ā 

(Hmmm ... now I keep making D and T noises and feeling the diff with my tongue )Ā 

Ā 

thumbs-up.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

I'm not really down with the "D", but I've become used to Asian words being spelt all fuckt up in English. Also, thanks to the digressions of this thread I've taken the dharma name "DJ Iron Crotch" and will be demonstrating at various nightclubs. PM me for my tour dates (ladies only thanks).

• Like 2

Thought I'd been banned for some reason... ^_^

Ā 

If I go to thetaobums.com I still get a picture of an elderly man meditating and "offline. be back soon. 坐åæ˜"

Ā 

So I'm thinking there are probably still a few who are getting that, and haven't realised yet...?

Yes, I am sure. I would recommend letting the elderly man (o-sensei Ueshiba, the founder of Aikido) give directions rather than making him look like the owner of a closed shop who doesn't care about letting you wait endlessly.

• Like 1

If I go to thetaobums.com I still get a picture of an elderly man meditating and "offline. be back soon. 坐åæ˜"

Ā 

So I'm thinking there are probably still a few who are getting that, and haven't realised yet...?

Ā 

dustybeijing, can you try thetaobums.com again now and refresh your page? please let me know if this persists.Ā 

Ā 

thanks!

sean

Thought I'd been banned for some reason... ^_^

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

It redirects to thedaobums.com for me.

the random banner links to wiki is nice. the first one i noticed was baguazhangĀ  :)

i have looked at a few of those now. taijiquan, daojia, ziran, zuowang so far.

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 3

Tao or Dao?

Ā 

It doesn't really matter

Ā 

Indeed, it doesn't matter at all.

Ā 

But for those who speak Chinese, and especially those with obsessive tendencies, the pinyin makes a lot more sense in every case (something like Chiang Kai-Shek, for example, is barely close to the pronunciation Jiang Jieshi...I don't know how they got there..)

Ā 

The only one that really bothers me is chi. Neither the chi meaning energy nor the chi in Tai Chi are spelled like that in pinyin, and easily conflated by many. Energy/breath is qi and the martial art is Taijiquan!!!

• Like 1

But Tao is still Dao and Chi is still Qi no matter how we pronounce the word-labels we have placed upon these concepts.Ā  I thas been said, once we understand the concept we can forget the words.

• Like 1

Forgetting about words is the goal, but this is all but impossible when our language is (sublimely) insufficient.

Ā 

If we use one word (sound) to mean more than one thing, we often get confused.

Ā 

Though I did not know what you meant by tzujan immediately when I first read it on here, I figured it out. It's not something that I could easily confuse with meaning "potato" or "sacrifice" or whatever.

Ā 

But if we use chi to mean qi and ji and things that are correctly spelled chi in pinyin (pool, tooth, etc), things can start to get confusing. There are acupuncture points such as "Yang Chi" and "Feng Chi" which mean "Pool of Yang" and "Pool of Wind" (or something like that)...they have nothing to do with qi (directly) but could be confused as such by some.

Ā 

In the end it's still not absolutely important, it just bothers me.

Ā 

Ā 

ę¬²ę˜Æå…¶ę‰€éžč€Œéžå…¶ę‰€ę˜Æå‰‡čŽ«č‹„ä»„ę˜Ž

"If one wants to affirm all their negatives and negate all their affirmatives, there's nothing like being clear."

Ā 

(ZZ)

Ā 

:P

• Like 5

I hat sed a complex passwort and hat all my tevices remembering id so I hatn't dyped id in a while.Ā  Dhe URL change blew all dhad up ad a dime when my only access was via smardphone -- ever dried do to our passwort resed on a smardphone?

Ā 

I gave up and jusd waidet undil I hat access via a real compuder again.

Ā 

:)

Ā 

Odher dhan dhad, I hat no confusion ant really like dhe new branting!

Ā 

Nice goad, BDW.

Ā 

Oh!Ā  and I dhink our spellchecker is broken.

• Like 5

A Chinese friend of mine who is fluent in English since childhood does not understand a single Pinyin word I tried on him.Ā  He does not recognize them at all, not as Chinese words and not as English words.Ā  He just changes the subject because he feels embarrassed -- for his own ignorance or mine, hard to tell.Ā  I have no problem being understood by English speakers who don't know Chinese when I use those pinyin words though.Ā  Which makes me believe they are not Chinese words after all.Ā  They are English or American English.Ā  I suspect their original meaning is often as far off as their sound, or farther. Ā 

Ā 

However you slice it, not a single sound in Chinese corresponds to a single sound in English.Ā  So to settle on a convenient-to-use approximation and stick with it so that people on both sides of the linguistic fense get used to them meaning what they are supposed to mean when translated into a different language would be a good idea IMO.Ā  But they keep changing it.Ā  No Romanization used so far has shown heng/hung/h'ung -- staying power.Ā  (There was something else before Wade-Giles, don't remember what it was called.Ā  And something before that.)Ā  Maybe Pinyin will fare better. Ā  Too early to tell... Ā  Ā 

• Like 2

Well, now that pinyin is learned by most children in China (or the majority of those who go to school and learn to read and write), it should have more staying power than the others...

• Like 1

the random banner links to wiki is nice. the first one i noticed was baguazhangĀ  :)

i have looked at a few of those now. taijiquan, daojia, ziran, zuowang so far.

Ā 

this is super cool :)

Ā 

I kind of hope we'll get a Ā LĒŽozĒ Ā Ā č€å­

Ā 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laozi

• Like 1

Yah, ditto what dustybeijing said. Pinyin has advantages and enormous momentum. Was created by Chinese (vs Wade-Giles), it's the official method of transcription for all of China, Taiwan, etc., all children in China are required to learn pinyin in school, and (afaik) it's the most popular method Chinese use to input characters into a computer via alphabetical keyboards.

Ā 

If something betters comes along I suspect we'll all be very dead by the time it replaces pinyin. Will be up to some future admin here to redirect us to theDTOWbums.com or whatever.Ā  :D

Ā 

Sean

• Like 4