Sign in to follow this  
qvrmy11vz

What would you tell your 20 year old self?

There's this awesome thing, it's called Bagua, start now so you don't have to stumble through it starting at 40. Here's a list of good teachers and ones to avoid and which years you can find them teaching. For magic, your current teacher will try to curse you, get a link object. Oh and here's the email of the one with a legit path you will meet 15 years from now. Aside from that, life is going to rock overall, don't worry about the crappy bits, they will end up being some pretty amazing learning experiences. PS invest in gold, it's going to go up way faster than regular inflation in the next 25 years :D. Don't invest in US $$, they are going to crash for a bit lol!

Could you shed some light on how you practise Bagua and how it's improved your life?

• Like 1

What is the call of the deep universe, to you?

Thanks. I live in a main city, so I think I will take a stab at Tai Chi. I've prepared my time so I can invest in doing it consistently, with hopes of cementing a habit.

One of the other main reasons I decided to post was to get advised on exercise, diet and other enriching activities which would be good to pursue as a young human. I've eaten a vegan diet for nearly two years now. From the book I'm currently reading, Cultivating Ch'i: A Samurai Physician's Teachings on the Way of Health by Kaibara Ekiken, I've concluded that it would be beneficial to see a doctor of Eastern medicine to get advice on ways of improving and refining my diet.

Some of the things I plan on investing time in the next year or 3 are studying Wittgenstein, Nietzsche, Kieekergaard, Diogenes, Heraclitus, Eastern philosophies, Jung, classical art/art history, literature, martial arts on top of regular exercise, learning Chinese and classical piano.

I am not without goals nor do I think I'm overloading myself - everything mentioned are things that I am already interested in, and I expect to add or remove some of those things... Wouldn't want to set myself up for disappointment :D

______

Thank you all for your replies, I've read every one and have taken something from it.

Get in person teachers :). Just trust me on this one...

• Like 2

Get in person teachers :). Just trust me on this one...

Too many subjects for one teacher!

If I were to pick one, I don't think their are any Taoist teachers is Australia... I mean someone who lives it, not just teaches it

The idea of going to university has been antithesis to cultivating / searching within myself. Often hear people regret going to college so early.

• Like 1

Too many subjects for one teacher! If I were to pick one, I don't think their are any Taoist teachers is Australia... I mean someone who lives it, not just teaches it The idea of going to university has been antithesis to cultivating / searching within myself. Often hear people regret going to college so early.

Dont know what the college culture is like down under, but here in Ireland, at least where i am, its bordering on the ridiculous. Students moan and groan over fee increases, escalating costs of living, massive reductions in grants, expensive tuitions, etc. yet, a visit to the pubs and clubs any weekend, these places are jam-packed with... thats right, college students, spending their parent's hard-earned money, or worse, student loans, getting throttled.

The regrets, post-college, im inclined to conclude, arise from a complete lack of direction, discipline and just basic dont-give-a-damn attitudes while in college. Hence, if you were to be true to yourself to the point of resisting overwhelming needs to hang out or blend in, or maybe having just enough sense not to succumb to group-think and temptation, then going to college for its fundamental purpose, i.e. to excel in a particular field of study, will be a worthwhile endeavour.

• Like 2

Anyway, this is more about what YOU would do as a 20 year old, knowing what you know now.

Travel more and not be as shy with the ladies.

As a side note, what forms of exercise would you start doing? (Tai Chi, Qi Gong, martial arts)

Physically demanding stuff, whether martial or not. Now is the time to challenge yourself physically. As you get older, the tough stuff is no longer an option but you will, hopefully, have plenty of time for Taijiquan and Qigong.

Those are practical suggestions. What I think would do the most good for my young self and the world around me is opening my heart, practicing compassion and committing to a lifetime of serving others. That's a tough one for most young folks to swallow, however. I think it is good for us to follow our heart and instincts as much as possible. The world generally gives you what you need, whether you realize it or like it at the time or not.

• Like 1

Wordless intimate magnetism of something unfathomable.

W. i. m. o. s. u.

The universe calls out softly, "Wimosu, Wimosu... harken to my call, o child of my marrow!" :D

• Like 2

"I'm so sorry you spent your 20th birthday in an institution - it's not life as you wanted it to be, but in 4-5 years you'll be completely different, and in the future you'll be thrilled with the way your life is going. Don't let them make you think you're crazy - a whole lot of black magic has ACTUALLY been used against you. You're wondering if it goes further back than last year and this year - well it actually does. Don't give the nurses any more crap because they really do go all out on those guys. You'll get through it - I'm now 24, turning 25 in less than a month and everything has completely changed.

You won't love your Mum & Dad but you've taken the right steps for your life.

You're actually a skilled Chaote now and you'll learn how to love your life again, and be better than you can imagine. Don't worry, the Music will go well for you again, but the next few years will actually get very very rough at times as well. I know you can hear me, don't get angry - I'm like, really really Scorpio and I'm just your future self bring good to you."

• Like 3

Dont know what the college culture is like down under, but here in Ireland, at least where i am, its bordering on the ridiculous. Students moan and groan over fee increases, escalating costs of living, massive reductions in grants, expensive tuitions, etc. yet, a visit to the pubs and clubs any weekend, these places are jam-packed with... thats right, college students, spending their parent's hard-earned money, or worse, student loans, getting throttled.

The regrets, post-college, im inclined to conclude, arise from a complete lack of direction, discipline and just basic dont-give-a-damn attitudes while in college. Hence, if you were to be true to yourself to the point of resisting overwhelming needs to hang out or blend in, or maybe having just enough sense not to succumb to group-think and temptation, then going to college for its fundamental purpose, i.e. to excel in a particular field of study, will be a worthwhile endeavour.

The attitude amongst students here in Aus is similar if not identical.

If I went to college, it would be for, as you say, it's fundamental purpose. I would like to work as a lecturer, researcher or writer of some sort in the field if philosophy (main interest) or psychology (only because I think it is a necessary field to be explored at this point in time).

"I'm so sorry you spent your 20th birthday in an institution - it's not life as you wanted it to be, but in 4-5 years you'll be completely different, and in the future you'll be thrilled with the way your life is going. Don't let them make you think you're crazy - a whole lot of black magic has ACTUALLY been used against you. You're wondering if it goes further back than last year and this year - well it actually does. Don't give the nurses any more crap because they really do go all out on those guys. You'll get through it - I'm 24, turning 25 in less than a month and everything has completely changed.

You won't love your Mum & Dad but you've taken the right steps for your life.

You're actually a skilled Chaote now and you'll learn how to love your life again, and be better than you can imagine with your Creative pursuits. Don't worry, the Music will go well for you again, but the next few years will actually get very very rough at times as well. I know you can hear me, don't get angry - I'm like, really really Scorpio and I'm just your future self bring good to you."

Don't burn out

Yeah this one was definitely something my 20 year old self needed to hear. Also, the stuff below.

-Atheism can be just as close-minded

-No need for a structured religion

-Quit drinking

-Get fit

• Like 1

mine seem to have all involved hot rods :wacko:

But you probably wasted time, too -- right?

:D

• Like 4

... I mean someone who lives it, not just teaches it

I'm in Australia.

I live it !

Although I know next to nothing about it .

nor teach it .

"Don't let the good things people say about you affect you any more than the bad.

Appreciate people.

Find people who do what you want to do way better than you can do it, take lessons from them, and set your attainable goal/date to be able to do it with them."

Not that I've mastered these things even now, but they would have been good to hear at that time.

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

Too many subjects for one teacher! If I were to pick one, I don't think their are any Taoist teachers is Australia... I mean someone who lives it, not just teaches it The idea of going to university has been antithesis to cultivating / searching within myself. Often hear people regret going to college so early.

You asked a pretty smart question. I'm too young to answer properly but this is what I learnt these last years and my exp could be related to yours so... take a look

Trust BKA but and don't find a teacher, get a good teacher (not necessarily a master) try several courses. Ask here some australian practionners. There are many kind of tai chi.

One thirsty should not drink to fast ^^ if you start with everything you're going to get into trouble. You have to know that tai chi chuan rapidly (when you got the solo form) takes 90/120 mn of practice a day -for a serious practionner.

Before anything don't spend too much time here, nice place nice people but the last thing you need is to have tons of fantasies in mind.

Don't quit college for searching yourself, taoism or anything when you can do both.

Last (but not least) maybe I'm all wrong !!!!!

Have a good evening/night :)

• Like 1

That time is a biological illusion and that he is me in another universe, so how'd he get into mine?
Getting out of forsaken England will save you so don't worry bout that; I would start teaching him Jyotish; as paradoxically, I would now be the Guru that I didn't find then, up until now.

Edited by iain

But you probably wasted time, too -- right?

:D

Perfect. It reminds me of George Best's immortal words of secular wisdom,.....

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars – the rest I just squandered".

Edited by ThisLife
  • Like 2

Interesting post! Well I would tell my 20 year old self:

1. Get on with it man! You're not immortal!

2. Go real slow on the girls, booze, climbing to the top of the heap. They're all nice, but ultimately a side-track.

3. Start you're Karate, Yoga, and Qigong right now, not when you are 40. :-O

4. Go easier on yourself. Not so rigid, inflexible. More go with the flow.

5. Take care of your body now, trust me, the nearly 60 you will thank you profusely.

6. Love yourself, and others more intensely.

And many other things I know my 20 year old self won't listen to...oh well. ;-)

Alex

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this