Protector

Spirituality has to go

There's no proof that spirituality is all it's cracked up to be, except it makes people feel more important about themselves.

In most spiritual traditions, the object is the self becoming less important.

• Like 3

In most spiritual traditions, the object is the self becoming less important.

Kinda backfired for Buddha, didn't it?

Kinda backfired for Buddha, didn't it?

Not at all, by definition a Buddha is someone who is completely free of any self.

• Like 1

budha is a planet ...

Oh, you said buddha, sorry ...

Edited by iain

Well, I don't consider living for only 32 years much of an accomplishment.

Some people are born with strong mathematics abilities.

I can balance my checkbook but if you ask me for the area of a cone you can forget it.

How very materialist of you, in the vedic culture it is believed that a soul who has achieved their life's purpose leaves the loka; perhaps for moksha, job done ... This is only a stage.

The importance of his work is still being revealed today.

Not at all, by definition a Buddha is someone who is completely free of any self.

He might be free of self and long dead, but I still know who he is

Kinda ironic for someone who didn't want to stand out much

Edited by Protector

Coming on a forum where you know people are into spirituality and trying to convince them

It has to go seems like an awfully big waste of time to me. Maybe time better spent studying astrophysics or something more useful.

Edited by bax44
  • Like 2

spirituality is everything, it goes beyond internet forums haha..to believe someone is spiritual because they read "spiritual books", debate on spiritual forums, and meditate on full moons is like completely silly

Dear TT,

We are all spiritual beings, having a material experience. Some are more aware than others, but we are definitely all spiritual.

Edited by iain
  • Like 1

He might be free of self and long dead, but I still know who he is

Kinda ironic for someone who didn't want to stand out much

Your quote was that spirituality "makes people feel more important about themselves."

Your example did not substantiate that assertion, that's all.

In fact, Buddha's ability to let go of feeling more important about himself is precisely why you know who he is.

• Like 1

Still funny

Still a lot of gurus around, and lots of them lake lots of money. They help people reach that realization about themselves and their money. That too is funny.

• Like 1

Still funny

Still a lot of gurus around, and lots of them lake lots of money. They help people reach that realization about themselves and their money. That too is funny.

Are you just saying that in passing, or does it partly inform the basis of your OP? If it does, then its pretty shallow, sorry.

• Like 1

Still funny

Of course there are - I wonder how many scientists do their research as a donation to humanity?

I won't even start on how much money is made on exploiting humanity and natural resources in the name of science.

Your fundamental error is that you are criticizing that which helps people rather than the people and system that exploit it.

If you want to continue to live with that misunderstanding, knock yourself out.

I'm tired too.

• Like 1

I see science give back a lot. Religions, gurus, guys with funny hair, only take.

Feeling good about oneself is nice, but that's basically nothing.

Spirituality is such a waste of time, would be better taking that time to become a doctor then qi gong instructor.

*swig*

Although I don't totally agree it is a nice thought none-the-less.

As both a physicist and a mathematician, I am in complete agreement with iain. As neither, I'd say you are welcome to whatever beliefs may you happy -- just as Protector is.

;)

• Like 1

Of course there are - I wonder how many scientists do their research as a donation to humanity?

I won't even start on how much money is made on exploiting humanity and natural resources in the name of science.

Your fundamental error is that you are criticizing that which helps people rather than the people and system that exploit it.

If you want to continue to live with that misunderstanding, knock yourself out.

I'm tired too.

Nash, his fundamental error is that he believes he understands science and believes that it somehow supports his Materialistic belief system.

Unfortunately, he is mistaken on both counts, as many knowledgeable people have explained. He chooses not to listen, though.

I see science give back a lot. Religions, gurus, guys with funny hair, only take.

Feeling good about oneself is nice, but that's basically nothing.

Spirituality is such a waste of time, would be better taking that time to become a doctor then qi gong instructor.

*swig*

you should go back to horse stance for a few hours

• Like 2

Dear TT,

We are all spiritual beings, having a material experience. Some are more aware than others, but we are definitely all spiritual.

the real goal is to be a human being having a spiritual experience! :D

((embodiment))

• Like 2

How very materialist of you, in the vedic culture it is believed that a soul who has achieved their life's purpose leaves the loka; perhaps for moksha, job done ... This is only a stage.

The importance of his work is still being revealed today.

Well, of course it was materialistic. I am a Materialist, afterall.

As both a physicist and a mathematician, I am in complete agreement with iain. As neither, I'd say you are welcome to whatever beliefs may you happy -- just as Protector is.

;)

What I or Protector say is not going to change anyone's mind. Only they can do that. But it is always good to consider alternative POVs.

• Like 2

the real goal is to be a human being having a spiritual experience! :D

((embodiment))

I already "Like"d the post but just wanted to repeat it.