TaoMaster

How do we know what's yin and what's yang . Really.

Can all things be determined as to which is yang and which is yin in the universe? . Thx bro !!

I cannot answer that question. You have tried. Personally, I think it is a question of which there is no final answer because everything is in flux - everything changes. That is exclusive of Tao because Tao is not a thing, it is all things and all non-things.

Ah! A question to me. How nice.

I have always viewed Yin and Yang as the polarities of Chi. <snip>

These polarities of Yin and Yang do change constantly. In my understanding, we rarely attain true balance of our energies because of constant external changes caused by not only universal Chi but the Chi of those we are around throughout the day and night. Rather than balance, I think that harmonizing these energies within our self is more efficient. This way sometimes our little light shines brightly and other times it puts out a soft glow. But too, never so bright that it is blinding nor too dim to be of any use.

Really well said mate!

Harmonizing my mind to the unified nature of what appears to be opposing conditions has alleviated some of the stickiest aspects of life that brought me so much suffering for so long... reconciling the opposites, is a cure for many sources of dis-ease.

In my experience, yang and yin are not separate 'things' that oppose one another.

They are not things at all... they are a natural, dynamic expression of varying degrees of extremity of the conditions flowing from wuji.

Again, as I experience it, yangyin or yinyang is a unified dynamic process that may often appear to have two opposing entities...

yet is one unified process that possesses varying degrees of extremity in its expression. Nothing is hot or cold except in relativity to something else. And these states are never static... every 'thing' is in constant flux.

An example I like is Tidal Flow of the oceans and waterways. Constant fluctuations in conditions of yangyin, but yang cannot exist without yin... there can be no waves that have only crests. The coin has two sides, but it is one coin. yinyang is a unified dynamic process that only appears to be two dueling separate conditions from certain perspectives.

A coin has 6 sides. The two sides are an illusion.

It has a top side, bottem side left sode and right, frint and back

The illusion comes from the front and back being the largest ( smile ) but there's 6

3 yins 3 yangs

Perspective wont change that either. ( smile )

You also can not see the back of s coin. Back is yin , an illusion and a total lie.

When you look at the back ot becomes the front.

And the other side becomes the backside.

That works for both coins and some debates too.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Well, if we were talking about a real coin and if we were to look at it closely, it would have many more sides than six, it would have mountains, valleys and myriad edges and faces that could be then used to prove how it does not fit my example. (interestingly, the fact that this very allusion to a change in perspective about said coin altering the experience reinforces the intention of my post)

But in following the spirit of my example, if not the letter... using an abstract idea of a coin that is being shared as a metaphor in order to convey a rather simple concept regarding the topic in layman's terms, two seemingly opposing aspects of one unified 'thing'... I'm betting that you got the meaning and are having a bit of fun...

It's always a gamble though, trying to gauge the intent of words written without knowing someone well and without body language and tone of voice to lend context. You've taken a seemingly intentional tone of condescension toward several people here, in a rather surprising number of your posts, given that you have so few, who were merely sharing what are simply different views about a deep, abstract concept. So I'm not sure how to take you yet.

Many confrontations begin not with the words spoken, but by the intention and the manner in which the words are spoken...

I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt though, until I'm certain, so I'll stick with, you seem to be having a bit of fun.

I hope so,

I like fun.

I also love, well intentioned, honest, open discussion about deep topics.

Indeed it's one of the great loves of my life.

• Like 1

You forgot the outer circle though. That makes seven.

illusion, didnt forget , I dont see that illusion . I vanished it

shape has no bearing on sides.

Even the octogon or a pyramid

your body and mine

there is no thing in the universe that has more than 6 sides. No exception.

Even a square, a ball and a circle . 6 sides.

even if its a sheet of glass. :)

Your tree ?

please explain

thx :)

Edited by TaoMaster

Hehehe. I must admit, you sure do put out the effort. That deserves at least one point.

illusion, didnt forget , I dont see that illusion . I vanished it

Nope, you only deluded reality.

shape has no bearing on sides.

What?

Even the octogon or a pyramid

your body and mine

Well, a standard pyramid has four sides, an octagon has, of course, eight, and my body has many. One of them is up-side-down.

this is no thing in the universe that has more than 6 sides. No exception.

Where did you find the sides of the universe. I'll bet you had to travel very fast to get to all of them.

Even a square, a ball and a circle . 6 sides.

A ball and a circle? You are joking me, right?

even if its a sheet of glass. :)

Okay, this one I agree with, six.

Your tree ?

please explain

thx :)

My useless tree. Under my useless tree is where I take my rest in its shade.

All my life's a circle;
But I can't tell you why;
Season's spinning round again;
The years keep rollin' by.

Taomaster, quick question. Why are there no dots in the yin/yang symbol on your profile picture?

its looks better :lol:

the reasons why always come after and are yin . You can make an infinite number of reasons for a why, but there is only one truth.

its just a symbol for the law of duality yang yin . There are many ways to symbolize it and this is how I do .

i see no need for adding dots. Its perfect without them and imperfect with them. Why have them ?

im going to be away from my computer for a while and not able to reply or comment . :)

i see no need for adding dots. Its perfect without them and imperfect with them. Why have them ?

Because yin and yang are clearly defined terms in Chinese philosophy; those dots represent new yin and new yang arrising from old yin and old yang. new yin comes from old yang, new yang comes from old yin. The yin/yang symbol depicts motion, which is the change from yang to yin and back again, ad infinitum. Not only does it depict this motion, it also denotes their unity, as a polar whole.

Believe what you want, though. Ideas are ideas, and you're free to do with those as you please.

• Like 3

Because yin and yang are clearly defined terms in Chinese philosophy; those dots represent new yin and new yang arising from old yin and old yang. new yin comes from old yang, new yang comes from old yin. The yin/yang symbol depicts motion, which is the change from yang to yin and back again, ad infintum. Not only does it depict this motion, it also denotes their unity, as a polar whole.

That was extremely well expressed! You done good!!!

• Like 1

shape and sides are two different things :)

shape

https://www.google.com/search?q=shape+definition+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

side

https://www.google.com/search?q=shape+definition+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb#rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&q=side+definition

i havent deludued anything :) and this is effortless to me. Effort is ( yin ) Its states ease ( yang ) is not easy

Hehehe. I must admit, you sure do put out the effort. That deserves at least one point.

Nope, you only deluded reality.

What?

Well, a standard pyramid has four sides, an octagon has, of course, eight, and my body has many. One of them is up-side-down.

illusion . There are only six sides to any thing in the universe. no more and no less. No exceptions. The illusion is that there is more or less.

theres the top and bottom of a pyrymid and the left and right sides also a front and back . Ive already explained this inmy previous posts. Take a look :)

Where did you find the sides of the universe. I'll bet you had to travel very fast to get to all of them.

I find them by looking around me in every possible way and I confirm this by looking at it from outside of the universe as well . :)

the front of the universe is where its starts ( yang ) and the back is where it ends ( yin )

the left side is where it begins to your left ( yang ) on the left side and the right is where it ends to your right ( yin ) on the right

the top is where its the highest ( yang ) from above and the bottem ( yin ) is where it ends below at its lowest point.

its a sphere, its round. Its gets its SHAPE by changing perspective :)

A ball and a circle? You are joking me, right?

no im being sincerely honest with you . :)

a circle only has six sides. if you see more or less , its an illusion .

theres the front of a circle and the back

the left and right sides and the top and bottem . :)

you can spin a ball or a square a pyamid or an octogon but this will not change the fact that there are only 6 sides. :)

arguing with me ( opposition ) will not change this fact either :lol:

I'm beginning to think that you are living in only two dimensions. There is a third one, you know. There is also a fourth and fifth, that would be space/time.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to think that you are living in only two dimensions. There is a third one, you know. There is also a fourth and fifth, that would be space/time.

theres only 1 and its right there in front of you all the time. The rest are derived from 1 Yang. :)

it starts with life the creator of all things at zero

0 life

next row down is row 1

0 + 1 = 1

next row down is 2

2 x 1 is 2. the law of duality

next row down is 3

3 x 2 is 6 the law of dimension,

it continues into a perfect ball like our planet and looks like my avatar of yang and yin :)

theres no need for little white/black circles within the symbol. The dots were put there by someone who said perfection is not perfect

reality is not determind by vote or majorty or books from long past, or me as an individual human life from

its determined by universe law and all laws are put there by life . A single spiritul non physical life that controls all life forms everywhere.

Edited by TaoMaster

theres only 1 and its right there in front of you all the time. The rest are derived from 1 Yang. :)

it starts with life the creator of all things at zero

0 life

next row down is row 1

0 x 1 = 1

next row down is 2

2 x 1 is 2. the law of duality

next row down is 3

3 x 2 is 6 the law of dimension,

it continues into as perfect ball like our planet and looks like my avatar of yang and yin :)

theres no need for little white/black circles within the symbol. The dots were put there by someone who said perfection is not perfect

reality is not determind by vote or majorty or books from long past, or me as an individual human life from

its determined by universe law and all laws are put there by life . A single spiritul non physical life that controls all life forms everywhere.

Ummm...

0x1=1?

Seriously? I mean, everything you post is blatant nonsense but this is just plan silly. Not getting electricity or magnetism or gravity or geometry or etymology or reading comprehension -- OK. But arithmetic???

• Like 1

at this point...

it's pretty obvious that someone is trying to see just how long they can draw out nonsense and keep people responding...

I'm all for interesting debate, and deep, meaningful conversation, but it appears that's all done here...

Ummm...

0x1=1?

Seriously? I mean, everything you post is blatant nonsense but this is just plan silly. Not getting electricity or magnetism or gravity or geometry or etymology or reading comprehension -- OK. But arithmetic???

its a typo ill fix it .

its 0+1 :)

everything ? ok

im not perfect are you ? :)

so far you have not been able to prove anything ive done as incorect except for a single typo . I have spelling mistakes too , Does that make everything i say nonsence?

youre just the Yin to all my Yangs and thats ok .

my true statments always come first and then you chime in and say no or not or non. All yin :)

at this point...

it's pretty obvious that someone is trying to see just how long they can draw out nonsense and keep people responding...

I'm all for interesting debate, and deep, meaningful conversation, but it appears that's all done here...

if you look at a previouse post of mine it has this same description and the typo is not included.

the " reason " why for a thing is always a matter of oppinion. It can be anything.

Ours are different .

if you and not pleased by my posts, consderations, and points of view, them simply dont ready them .

attacking me in opposition will only add to your misery

heres an example of opposition

I serve a ping pong ball at yang . Yang always starts first . The ball crosses the net to Yin . Yin says no to yang and hits it back . Yang says yes and back and forth it goes.

theres really nothing more basic than that that i know of .

It takes two things to generate mass . Yang first and then yin .

The yang and yin of this thread generates many posts and much can be learned by it from everyone in positive ways .

if Yin never said know it would always be yang doing the same thing . serving the ball . getting a new ball and serving that ball into infinity. Pretty dull . :)

I subcribe to all my threads and i tend to reply to many of the relivant posts others say . Its no to genertae as many posts as I can but you are welcome to beleive that . Its an illusion you are attempting to create but in reality , im here to help others understand life and the universe ,

The first message i got from you was to thank me for helping you in some way . i dont know what way and it doesnt matter to me as long as I helped you . I hope I can be of some help to you again .

when ever I help you I help myself and vs versa. :)

its a typo ill fix it .

its 0+1 :)

everything ? ok

im not perfect are you ? :)

so far you have not been able to prove anything ive done as incorect except for a single typo . I have spelling mistakes too , Does that make everything i say nonsence?

youre just the Yin to all my Yangs and thats ok .

my true statments always come first and then you chime in and say no or not or non. All yin :)

Quite,the opposite, actually. Every statement you make is positively refuted -- and not just by me -- but your response is invariably "nuh-uh." You babble incoherently about yin & yang, mixing absolutism & relativism indiscriminately, postulating theories which are substantially contradicted by several hundred years of observation & measurement, and claiming to be the one person on the planet who understands the entire universe (which generally leads to questions about whether someone is a danger to onesself or others) but you don't even seem to understand the difference between addition and multiplication. Even an electrician with a fourth-grade education should grasp that[/iI] distinction (I don't buy your "back-story," BTW) and recognize that they don't "mix & match."

If you weren't totally obsessed with your own greatness, I would gladly devote hours of my time to teaching you "how things work." Natural philosophy was my gungfu for many years, you see, and I am really quite practiced. You make it clear, however, that your cup is full. My intent, therefore, is to ensure no one falls for your silly delusions.

Quite,the opposite, actually. Every statement you make is positively refuted -- and not just by me -- but your response is invariably "nuh-uh." You babble incoherently about yin & yang, mixing absolutism & relativism indiscriminately, postulating theories which are substantially contradicted by several hundred years of observation & measurement, and claiming to be the one person on the planet who understands the entire universe (which generally leads to questions about whether someone is a danger to onesself or others) but you don't even seem to understand the difference between addition and multiplication. Even an electrician with a fourth-grade education should grasp that[/iI] distinction (I don't buy your "back-story," BTW) and recognize that they don't "mix & match."

If you weren't totally obsessed with your own greatness, I would gladly devote hours of my time to teaching you "how things work." Natural philosophy was my gungfu for many years, you see, and I am really quite practiced. You make it clear, however, that your cup is full. My intent, therefore, is to ensure no one falls for your silly delusions.

can you tell me how we can tell what is yin and what is yang ? this is the topic and purpose of the thread :)

how do we know the difference? is there a scientific method or is it just an illusion , smoke and mirrors ?

thx !!

• Like 1

Dualities exist only in the subjective. The objective, physical universe is exactly what it is and must be; it cannot be otherwise; no dualities at all in the objective.

How many religions are there with their own creation story? There was only one first cause. But that cannot be spoken of just as the Eternal Tao cannot be spoken of. All the creation stories are subjective. (And all are BS, IMO.)

so theres no up or down in the universe. No day and night no left or right, no good or bad no war and peace, no forward and backwards, no war and peace, hot and cold, happy and sad , hard and soft , sweet and sour, ocean and land ?

these are all things in the physical universe.

does the law of duality only apply to some things and not others ? :)

so theres no up or down in the universe. No day and night no left or right, no good or bad no war and peace, no forward and backwards, no war and peace, hot and cold, happy and sad , hard and soft , sweet and sour, ocean and land ?

these are all things in the physical universe.

does the law of duality only apply to some things and not others ? :)

Fair question.

Yes, in the mind of man (and woman) there are these things; wars, hot, sad, etc.

This is because we have placed value judgements on these things. Most prefer peace over war. But then, a lot of people want war rather than peace. The dualities exist only in our mind.

The truth is that what is, is. That is all. Without value judgement.

The rose bush offers beautiful flowers for us to observe. But it also has thorns that will cause us harm. The rose bush doesn't care what we think about it. It is simply being a rose bush.

Once upon a time, about 4 million years ago, there were no upright walking apes. It is only these 4 million years of the universe's life of 13.7 billion years that there have been dualities. Prior to that things just were.