TaoMaster

How do we know what's yin and what's yang . Really.

Why does it matter ? Who cares.?

Does it really matter what's right or wrong in the world .

Do we want to live the right way or wrong way .?

What's right for one person can be wrong for another .

So how can we ever really know what's right , what's true or what's false , or what's wrong .

There's a way .

What this yin yang thingy and who cares if it's just opposites , so what ,

Who put the little black and white circles in each side ( unlike my avatar ) and who said they could do that ?

What's the significance of those two little additions and what about blue green red yellow purple . Why just black and white when there's so so much more to life than black and white . ?

Why was I pulled out of the fifth grade and told I could just play all day , roller skate , no school work no home work and then tossed back into jr and sr high school only to fail miserable while others excelled and graduated while I dropped out . Nice ! Thanks sooooooo much .

I'm from the city of angels in calif , born and raised . There was no education in this subject and as far as I know , it's not correctly presented in any educations , in any country in the world.

Threes no " planet earth users manual " that comes stock with each life form .

You're on your own so to speak and I will tell you form my own experience that life on planet earth is a jungle baby.

People killing animals , animals killing people , life forms eating other life forms , insanity , deceptions,

Illusions , and the list goes on and on . Sorrow pain happiness gratitude. Pleasure and joy , agony and defeat success and confidence ,fear and love .

What a bloody mess.

It's all stirred up into a mass of confusion just waiting for us to be born into and try and sort out .

How the heck did all this stuff come to be and who the heck did it .

It didn't just " happen " on a Sunday afternoon did it "

Who " really " knows .

How can we ever know ?

I mean we got prisons , and billionaires, rich people and the poor .

Cars planes boats water sun moon and stars on a merry to round of light and dark

It's no wonder so many say hey stop the ride I wanna get off and yet there are others who say let me live here forever and never die , I love it so much .

You can read books watch tv and chit chat about life on earth until the day you die and still be no better off than the day you arrived .

Is it all an illusion ? A dream ?

Oh yeah ,, what's up with that ? Dreams , nightmares. I had one the other night . Haven't had one in a while . It fast short and horrible. ( lol ) then I woke up .

Then there's the internet , are you kidding me ? How convenient is THAT? But looks what's in it . More of the same insanity , truth , lies , humor and everything else that's already here on the planet .

Then we've got religion , war, nukes, submarines, presidents and dictators , little green men with big eyes made from silicone rubber from planets far away and living beneath the earth . WHAT ?

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?????????????

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE HERE ? I want to have a talk with who ever is . : )

Can anyone help ?

Let me know .

There' IS a way to know .

The symbol exists to present a paradigm which is believed to address the seeming lack of order you eloquently delineated.

Its a short-hand for a richer set of ideas. Ive also seen the same symbol on a roman sheild , the owner of which may have zero familiarity or exposure to the eastern mindset it relates to.

For at least some of your questions , which are age old rhetorical ones the response might be , who told you it had a reason or that it mattered , or that things might be right ? and where would they derive their authority ?

In pursuit of the answers to all this there are religions.

My personal touchstone is that the ultimate question for anyone, is , "What do I do now?" which brings things into a really very pertinant focus.

My personal touchstone is that the ultimate question for anyone, is , "What do I do now?" which brings things into a really very pertinant focus.

Yep. That's where we actually do our living.

• Like 1

can you add more detail to this ? yang and yin being the same thing ? how so ? perhaps a couple real life examples of this we can relate to ?

yin yang seem to me the same thing

interchangeable in that they are perspective dependent

without perspective what is what

yes but it wasnt that way in the begining

order comes first then chaos. its comes after all order .

We sure know how to make life complicated, don't we?

which ones? reference please and how do they help ?

Yep. That's why there are those neat metaphysical systems helping us to touch base.

day and night do complete a circuit . Circuit is derived from the word circle but day and night also oppose each other and the opposition generates motion round and round day and night day and night over and over . Its the universes natural generator that keeps things going .

men and women oppose each other. men yang woman yin but they also complete a circuit and that generates a new life form .

Observation of polar complete reality. Day and night are polar complete, white and black are not opposites when it comes to color. Red and black are polar complete, red most energetic, black least energetic. Purple is an extreme reverting back to black meaning it is the hottest fire color but the matter is at its least amount hence reverting back to black.

Men and women are polar complete. when Yin and Yang reconcile their differences it gives birth to something new.

Fire and water are polar complete, fire rises, water sinks, touched by ice feels like burning, touched by fire feels numbing.

For those who grow up in the west and the absolute fragmented worldview good luck understanding. To begin maybe understand the basis of western culture before trying to understand the east. my two cents on the topic.

yang yin do both , oppose ( yin ) and complete ( yang ) like a car battery has + and - it generates power but without one of the other it generates nothing.

Marblehead,

Maybe our views are complementary? (You know, Yin and Yang...)

Your question I can't answer in a straightforward manner; there is more than one Freiburg relatively nearby. Well, that's how an American would look at it, anyways! ;) I'll PM you on this shortly as I don't want to derail this thread.

yes sadly but like alllife forms and this universe is a life form btw , it starts small , grows up , gets old dies and falls down ,

theres no exception to this rule .

the universe you see around you today is in its dying stages but thats ok there will be a new one and the whole things starts over again .

up and down up and down yang and yin yang and yin

its as never ending as life , the creator of the universe .

It's all one world, all mixed up already...

robin williams once said , " i have bad news . the world is entering an ice age . the good news is that we are all gonna have free Daiquiris " or something like that . :lol:

so

how do we determine, how do we know what is yang and what is yin ?

whats the formula ?

which ones? reference please and how do they help ?

Talking about making life complicated.

Chi is the energy of the universe. It has always existed although it takes different form over time.

We humans decided to break the energy down into two parts, the positive and negative, Yang and Yin. Then we decided to define attributes to these two aspects. And then we dicided to define attributes of these two as they apply to different realms of the universal oneness.

And it has been said that the further you break a thing down the further from the truth one gets. But we continue to break things down and in the end we have lost the thing's essence.

Once we cut open a mother pig to see what she is made of she is no longer any use to her piglets. Leave the pig alone and just try to understand her. All then will be happy.

Talking about making life complicated.

Chi is the energy of the universe. It has always existed although it takes different form over time.

We humans decided to break the energy down into two parts, the positive and negative, Yang and Yin. Then we decided to define attributes to these two aspects. And then we dicided to define attributes of these two as they apply to different realms of the universal oneness.

And it has been said that the further you break a thing down the further from the truth one gets. But we continue to break things down and in the end we have lost the thing's essence.

Once we cut open a mother pig to see what she is made of she is no longer any use to her piglets. Leave the pig alone and just try to understand her. All then will be happy.

chi is the energy of the universe ? is it the yang or yin ? energy comes in two forms , either yang or yin .

im not trying to kill the univrese if you are implying the universe is a mother pig , just trying to help bring about understanding.

understanding is a good thing and its worth doing no matter what the subject matter is one is trying to understand.

als owant to add this video , I seem to have many of the same posters from my priviouse threads and thats ok but this will be a repeat video

i want to point out that in the video the man and woman get together and start to move . Yang and yin generate motion to all things to the same degree of yang and yin . in other words, the more yang and yin the more motion .

listen to the words of this song when he pulls her close they start to move

its yang >< yin in action

BUT how do we know whats yang and whats yin ?

understanding is a good thing and the lack of it is bad

the more we understand the more control we have in life . The more control , the more ability and power and all the othet yang attributes . But how do we know what those are ? :)

i appreciate everyones comments . all are welcome, good or bad , right or wrong makes no difference to me . :)

understanding cultivates happieness and misunderstanding , un happinesss

do you ever hear anyone say they want to be unhappy in life ?

i know i want to be happy and i want to be around others who are happy too

happy generates happy , unhappy generates unhappy

so here i am :D:lol:

Ill explain karma too in a future thread or post . its also a legal matter you may find interesting . Many dont understand it .

First, please understand, I am enjoying your posts even though I don't necessarily agree with all of them. But my agreement doesn't matter, except, of course, when I respond in disagreement to something you have said.

chi is the energy of the universe ? is it the yang or yin ? energy comes in two forms , either yang or yin .

Yes, Chi is the energy, Yin, the negative, and Yang, the positve, are the polarities of Chi. So it is both, not either/or. And I would agree, there is no energy movement without both yin and yang. (And that is why we have to keep the white circle in the black and the black circle in the white. If we go too far in either the white or the black, yang or yin, we will reach the opposite circle and revert to the opposite.

I failed to mention: speaking of breaking things down into their individual parts. When we are finished all we have is parts. When we made the first separation we lost the thing's essence.

• Like 1

in order to view something as yin or yang, you must have a position relative to both that you hold...

this predetermines which you will view as + and which -

perspective determines yin and yang, at least for me, at this point in my path.

yin and yang are perspective dependent observations.

for me, tao is the perpetual underlying premise... possibly.

• Like 4

Here is my two cents....

There is no priority between the western and eastern cultures. It's best to know each separately but don't mix them.

Oh, I don't know 'bout that... Depends on the schools of thought I guess.

Edited by beyonder

In regards to the OP: What's yin and what's yang? I believe Richard Wilhelm gave a quitte nice outline in his translation of the I Ching. I'm talking about his comments on the first and second hexagrams, which are 1. The Creative, and 2. The Receptive:

1. Ch'ien / The Creative

above CH'IEN THE CREATIVE, HEAVEN

below CH'IEN THE CREATIVE, HEAVEN

The first hexagram is made up of six unbroken lines. These unbroken lines stand for the primal power, which is light-giving, active, strong, and of the spirit. The hexagram is consistently strong in character, and since it is without weakness, its essence is power or energy. Its image is heaven. Its energy is represented as unrestricted by any fixed conditions in space and is therefore conceived of as motion. Time is regarded as the basis of this motion. Thus the hexagram includes also the power of time and the power of persisting in time, that is, duration.

The power represented by the hexagram is to be interpreted in a dual sense in terms of its action on the universe and of its action on the world of men. In relation to the universe, the hexagram expresses the strong, creative action of the Deity. In relation to the human world, it denotes the creative action of the holy man or sage, of the ruler or leader of men, who through his power awakens and develops their higher nature.

2. K'un / The Receptive

above K'UN THE RECEPTIVE, EARTH

below K'UN THE RECEPTIVE, EARTH

This hexagram is made up of broken lines only. The broken lines represents the dark, yielding, receptive primal power of yin. The attribute of the hexagram is devotion; its image is the earth. It is the perfect complement of THE CREATIVE the complement, not the opposite, for the Receptive does not combat the Creative but completes it. It represents nature in contrast to spirit, earth in contrast to heaven, space as against time, the female-maternal as against the male-paternal. However, as applied to human affairs, the principle of this complementary relationship is found not only in the relation between man and woman, but also in that between prince and minister and between father and son. Indeed, even in the individual this duality appears in the coexistence of the spiritual world and the world of the senses.

But strictly speaking there is no real dualism here, because there is a clearly defined hierarchic relationship between the two principles. In itself of course the Receptive is just as important as the Creative, but the attribute of devotion defines the place occupied by this primal power in relation to the Creative. For the Receptive must be activated and led by the Creative; then it is productive of good. Only when it abandons this position and tries to stand as an equal side by side with the Creative, does it become evil. The result then is opposition to and struggle against the Creative, which is productive of evil to both.

So, what's that "evil", Wilhelm is talking about at the end of hex 2? Let's take a look:

Hexagram two, six at the top means:

Dragons fight in the meadow.

Their blood is black and yellow.

In the top place the dark element should yield to the light. If it attempts to maintain a position to which it is not entitled and to rule instead of serving, it draws down upon itself the anger of the strong. A struggle ensues in which it is overthrown, with injury, however, to both sides. The dragon, symbol of heaven, comes to fight the false dragon that symbolized the inflation of the earth principle. Midnight blue is the color of heaven; yellow is the color of earth. Therefore, when black and yellow blood flow, it is a sign that in this unnatural contest both primal powers suffer injury.

That's clearly not what's being ment by the yin/yang symbol. What is, then? Well, in the previous description of yang/the creative, Wilhelm mentions: "Time is regarded as the basis of this motion. Thus the hexagram includes also the power of time and the power of persisting in time, that is, duration." That isn't a random phrase. Duration is represented in hexagram 32. Let's take a look at the "judgement", a part of the description of hex 32:

DURATION. Success. No blame.

Perseverance furthers.

It furthers one to have somewhere to go.

Duration is a state whose movement is not worn down by hindrances. It is not a state of rest, for mere standstill is regression. Duration is rather the self-contained and therefore self-renewing movement of an organized, firmly integrated whole, taking place in accordance with immutable laws and beginning anew at every ending. The end is reached by an inward movement, by inhalation, systole, contraction, and this movement turns into a new beginning, in which the movement is directed outward, in exhalation, diastole, expansion.

Heavenly bodies exemplify duration. They move in their fixed orbits, and because of this their light-giving power endures. The seasons of the year follow a fixed law of change and transformation, hence can produce effects that endure.

So likewise the dedicated man embodies an enduring meaning in his way of life, and thereby the world is formed. In that which gives things their duration, we can come to understand the nature of all beings in heaven and on earth.

• Like 2

The first two hexagrams from the I Ching is a great place to start to understand. Who can be companions of heaven and earth

Yang within yin, whens its dark outside there is still light from planets and stars. Yin with in Yang when the sun is up there are still dark places of shadow. Dark becomes light and light becomes dark, meaning yin and yang are relative to each other.

If we look at yin and yang as not a concept to understand we can just observe it happening everyday. Who can be like earth not caring but caring for ALL things. Who can be like heaven not kind but kind to ALL things.

• Like 1

Yin and Yang are two relative states of positive and negative, that's all. Like breaking down the world into sub-atomic quarks, it's the final duality before all things simply exist as a vast, empty, potential energy. The complexity actually comes in the same way it does in physics... Yin within Yang within Yin within Yang, and so on, exponentially smaller and smaller until it becomes impossible to tell the difference. And that's the point. Like attempting to discern the edge of an object: in reality, it doesn't actually exist. And looking at it at the atomic level proves this. Almost all things, including "solid" things, are actually empty space, held together by invisible forces of positive and negative, which can build on each other creating more complex structures. Tao explains all of this. And, it also holds true for the macro-world too. Things just become a more gross, unrefined nature (example: what is a chair? Is it its material, like wood or metal? Is it the composition of the sum of its parts; back, seat, and legs? Is it defined by its purpose? Is it defined by whomever sits on it?), which requires more relative states of understanding simply to label them. I am 5'11" and you are 5'10"... therefore, I am Yang and you are Yin. But my friend is 6', so now I am Yin and he is Yang. So on and so on.

If you want to further madden the process... imagine what Yin and Yang do to most irreducible concepts, like the universe? Example: solid objects are Yang and space is Yin. Then, imagine the entire universe as a whole and single entity (think about the chair analogy). What is its opposite? What about god? Okay, so, Satan/Antichrist? Well, imagine the two of them as opposing forces that create a Yin/Yang single unit, what's the opposite of that? What about heaven and Earth, and everything within them... what is the opposite of THAT? This is why Tao is bigger than the immature, unrefined idea of "god." A concept conceived by intellectually lazy people who sought an easy explanation to the universe, and in their infinite self-centeredness, chance they fashioned this so called god into their own image (ironic they tell people it's the other way around).

You see? Every time you create a dual nature, that dual nature can be seen as two connected parts of a single whole entity, which then creates a mirror image of itself. It's the Golden Ratio. And this happens simply by virtue of being capable of defining it as one thing rather than another. You can demonstrate this to yourself by investigating the concepts of "Up and Down," "Hot and Cold," "In and Out." And one cannot even exist without the existence of the other! They are dependent on each other! If there is a "some-thing," then there is its opposite. Always. And THE ACT of being able to say, "This thing is THIS, and NOT THIS," is inherently dualistic! As soon as something is defined as having attributes which something else does not, you create a polarized system that is reduced down to Yin/Yang. But then, Yin/Yang is not where it ends. It's only where the material word begins! What we do in Tao (or not do, whatever, haha) is regain our sense of that which is neither one nor another, but is the unity and "non-duality" of all things. When we can see that choice is actually an illusion because Yin and Yang are always changing and flowing into one another (I save a child's life, yet that child grows up to be Hitler)... We can get in touch with the non-judgment side of the understanding we have no control over ourselves or our lives, ultimately. And that the purpose of all things is to relax into everything that comes, as there is no way to truly change it.

This is Yin and Yang.

Yin and Yang are two relative states of positive and negative, that's all. Like breaking down the world into sub-atomic quarks, it's the final duality before all things simply exist as a vast, empty, potential energy. The complexity actually comes in the same way it does in physics... Yin within Yang within Yin within Yang, and so on, exponentially smaller and smaller until it becomes impossible to tell the difference. And that's the point. Like attempting to discern the edge of an object: in reality, it doesn't actually exist. And looking at it at the atomic level proves this. Almost all things, including "solid" things, are actually empty space, held together by invisible forces of positive and negative, which can build on each other creating more complex structures. Tao explains all of this. And, it also holds true for the macro-world too. Things just become a more gross, unrefined nature (example: what is a chair? Is it its material, like wood or metal? Is it the composition of the sum of its parts; back, seat, and legs? Is it defined by its purpose? Is it defined by whomever sits on it?), which requires more relative states of understanding simply to label them. I am 5'11" and you are 5'10"... therefore, I am Yang and you are Yin. But my friend is 6', so now I am Yin and he is Yang. So on and so on.

If you want to further madden the process... imagine what Yin and Yang do to most irreducible concepts, like the universe? Example: solid objects are Yang and space is Yin. Then, imagine the entire universe as a whole and single entity (think about the chair analogy). What is its opposite? What about god? Okay, so, Satan/Antichrist? Well, imagine the two of them as opposing forces that create a Yin/Yang single unit, what's the opposite of that? What about heaven and Earth, and everything within them... what is the opposite of THAT? This is why Tao is bigger than the immature, unrefined idea of "god." A concept conceived by intellectually lazy people who sought an easy explanation to the universe, and in their infinite self-centeredness, chance they fashioned this so called god into their own image (ironic they tell people it's the other way around).

You see? Every time you create a dual nature, that dual nature can be seen as two connected parts of a single whole entity, which then creates a mirror image of itself. It's the Golden Ratio. And this happens simply by virtue of being capable of defining it as one thing rather than another. You can demonstrate this to yourself by investigating the concepts of "Up and Down," "Hot and Cold," "In and Out." And one cannot even exist without the existence of the other! They are dependent on each other! If there is a "some-thing," then there is its opposite. Always. And THE ACT of being able to say, "This thing is THIS, and NOT THIS," is inherently dualistic! As soon as something is defined as having attributes which something else does not, you create a polarized system that is reduced down to Yin/Yang. But then, Yin/Yang is not where it ends. It's only where the material word begins! What we do in Tao (or not do, whatever, haha) is regain our sense of that which is neither one nor another, but is the unity and "non-duality" of all things. When we can see that choice is actually an illusion because Yin and Yang are always changing and flowing into one another (I save a child's life, yet that child grows up to be Hitler)... We can get in touch with the non-judgment side of the understanding we have no control over ourselves or our lives, ultimately. And that the purpose of all things is to relax into everything that comes, as there is no way to truly change it.

This is Yin and Yang.

thx for your comments

you can determine whos yang and yin between you and your friend by simply adding up all the yang attributes and yin too that you each have . like a scale , he with the most yang and the least yin wins and can be crowned as Yang between you both . even if her or she is taller than you are .

simple :)

agree, no two things ever touch each other and even no single thing touches itself. and yang yin must both be present to exist.

a single thing will vanish instantly . Its against the law of the universe / The basic law of duality . It MUST have + and - to exist in the universe.

Yang ><Yin just relative positive and negative states? thats ALL ? :)

how do you know taller is yang ?

are dual natures things we have a choice about as humans ? can we just create dual natures or not ?

what else is yang , brighter , slower ? right or left up down in and out ?

which is which and where is there a reference about it someplace in a book or internet ?

how do you know solid is yang and space in yin ?

ive always considered it the other way around . Transparent yang and solidity yin . oh no :o:) .

transparentycy comes first and then solidity .

this can be a real problem when you put two of the same attributes together while considering them opposing . two - in stead of - and +

is it really all about context then or relitiveity ?

warm is yang and cool is yin but when it gets too hot and hurts then hot is yin and cool becomes yang.

how does yang and yin relate to karma and would it not be good to understand this better to have a happy life ?

when you say heaven and earth is that like sayin heaven and hell ? is earth hell ?

if heaven is yang then what is its relitive ? earth ?

the absence of heaven and ( earth ) hell are what oppose heaven and hell . the absence of anything is the yin to the yang it opposses.

i think youre reffering to god and satin conceptually as the only thing that opposes god or life , the creator of all things is god the creator of all things in the universe and everything in the universe is just a physical reflection of life the creator of all things .

i can go on. :)

in order to view something as yin or yang, you must have a position relative to both that you hold...

this predetermines which you will view as + and which -

perspective determines yin and yang, at least for me, at this point in my path.

yin and yang are perspective dependent observations.

for me, tao is the perpetual underlying premise... possibly.

from what Ive seen , there is the basic law of yang yin ( + and - ) from which all other laws are derived. It forms an egyption type pyamid. a point at the top getting larger towards the earth below.

the positive + symbol means ( more ) because it has two lines. 1 more line than - which only has one . +Symbol has twice as much material as the -symbol .

when you see the earth going around from the south pole looking up it turns clockwise and from the north looking down counter clockwise. water drains from left to right or right to left depeneding on the pole sides too. Water drains in opposite directions.

its not easy to change this based on perspective that I know of . But some things are.

the opposite of north/ south is east /west but east and west also have poles. East is yang and west is yin . How do I know ?

whats the tie breaker. ?

east ALWAYS comes first . the sun always rises in the east and goes down in the west . This doesnt change .

Its no conicidence that when we sleep its at night , we are not aware, not awake, not, knowing, not walking, not talking, not seeing , hearing. All of theses are yangs and are being opposed half the time by yin. Well for teenagers who sleep 12 hrs a day anyways . But this is only a small example.

since life created everything it must have come first so life is yang, and yin is everything life is not . That as in the physical universe.

Life+ IS positive+ in every way and limitless+ in every way . Only life+ can limit- itself .

Lifes the yang and creates yin to oppose itself or " not " itself. Life ><not life. Not life is any " thing"

when ever a + gets close to a - ( like a magnetic field ) it generates motion. It Generates mass and from mass energy and from energy sensation .

Sensation is what lifes all about baby . Soorrrrry I know it feels like Im telling you the end on a movie you want to see and have now spoiled it for you . :lol:

when we walk its foot forward+ first+ and foot backwards- last- . MOTION :)

sun comes+ up+ and then goes- down-

you begin to see more and more of the world around you . a bigger pictute of what the heack is really going on rather than the illusion it has become .

Real comes first, illusion after that . First the truth and then the lie that says the truth is not so .

this isnt a selective law thats based on oppinion and its basic from all other laws. Even oppinions are laws .

You wont find the sun rising at night or setting in the morining and you wont change it either .

but we can change how fast we run in a race or if we win+ or lose- yang or yin .

these are all sub laws and not basic . The duality law is the only basic law. Its a universe law .

i know why this basic law is never taught in american and other schools in the world. Life does not want to know about it . Life wants to live the dream called reailty and never wake up .

Teach+ is yang and learn- is yin . Teach knows and student does NOT know.

good thing is that we can wake up even while others still sleep . bad thing is that there no one to have fun with unless they are awake to the same degree we are . Staying awake once woke is the trick youll need to master . :)

when water goes down the drain in the north half of planet it turns with the planet but when it drains at the bottem it turns against the planet .

Steam and water are both water but one is more transparent than the other. The state relates directly to hot or cold. Hot and cold relates to altittude high or low . The hotest place is below sea level in death valley Ca and the coldest at the highest pointof the world.

But high is yang and low is yin so how can cold be yang and hot be yin ?

when you say he has a warm heart vs a cold heart or cold blooded for example Yang is warm and yin is cold.

contrast or + and - generate sensation . thats all there is to it . Like tow poles of a car battery touching generates a spark.

Words have many meaning and the same spelling. a word can have a definition of yang or yin but thats as far as perspective will go .

Attention is needed when making a determination . Context and definition are relivant to a degree. Once you have that , then there is no way to change it with perspective.

Low is yin and high is yang

when you get a quote for car insurance thats lower than what you have now thats good ( yang ) low now becomes Yang .

high rates are yin. This perspective is also changable . But in the end its still Yang and yin . Only yang and yin .

simplicity is yang , complicated is yin . Another easy one to switch.

The only three perameters to the basic law is that yang comes first and yin after. So its 1 yang comes first , 2 + and 3 - .

There is a law of Karma we speak of so allot . Its deried from the basic law and goverened by it . Its very real . The more you understand it the more reall and less illsuional it becomes.

Knowing it intimatly will and can completly change your life for the better .

To get a full understanding if it , the basic law must also be considered with it .

the world is very organized in terms of law . Like a computer has perameters , so does the universe. Understanding them fully in every possible way brings a wealth of power that money cant buy . When you become more able by the way of understanding and become more poweful than money, you can rule the world. :lol:

when you contemplate life its best to start with the basic law and then move forward to present time and then the past in that direction . That way youll be swimming with the flow rather than against it .

everything in the universe starts in the future yang and enters the universe in present time. It leaves the universe in the past.

perspective will no change this. its as real as real gets but it can be lied about . It can say the truth is not so . Ot can say its not true.

The lie always says the truth is NOT so.

its an is + and a NOT is -

yang yin.

you wont find this set of parameters in any book or internet. No where.

You find plenty of everything about yang and yin , or incorrectly yin yang . opposites, dichotmies , the tao , the dao, etc

but you wont find any reference to positives always come first . :)

you wont find a diagram of the human body illustrating the two sides of yang and yin and how it relates the way I have where the spinal cord is present time and the left and right sides are the past and future or yang pos and yin neg.

Like a ping pong table yang is the servers side and yin its opponant who opposes yang . The net is present time and when ever the ball goes accross the net correctly a good sensation is felt. If not, if you fail, a bad sensation is felt.

The butterly has a past wing and future wing and its body and spine in the center in present time.

Sensation is in the middle of the universe between pos yang and neg yin and the spine is there to sence it .

The middle of the universe is present time .

these are the things im referring to not the ones that change with perspective and context.

The more basic the better. :)

You can learn this stuff easy like learning how to play a piano.The more you practice the better you get . The better you get the better you get . You CAN go all the way to being the 1 , That perspective must be experienced to be known. Words wont do it justice.

to be edited latter :)

but what if you have 20 lifetimes of mostly yang and 20 of mostly yin . is that not also being balanced ?

if you had a choice of living your life mostly on the yang side vs yin side which would you choose?

lets say , i hit the like button on everyones posts. ( like is yang ) would it not become meaningless after a while ? same with Yin or no coment in this case since there is no hate button ( aka dislike )

no one wants to hate do they ?

every one wants to like dont they ?

Desire is only limited by one's imagination

The absolute quantification of yin and yang is impossible as they are not mutually exclusive, and contextually bound only by the limits of imagination.

how do we know if right or left is yang or yin

anyone ?

They are both.

how do we communicate with the eternal tao ? it never speaks back . :)

Every cause has an effect. Every movement causes an outward ripple. When it catches upon the world it will ripple back and forth until it reaches us again.

Nothing we do is without effect, and the Tao speaks to us without cessation. Some neglect to listen deeply enough.

so how did the exteral tao come to be ? when ? a back does not scratch its self.

When the unfolding of dimensions created the duality of self vs other, inside vs outside. Before this there was no friction within transformation.

yang and yin do not make contact . ever........... and yet they complete each other as a whole .

The merging and unification of yin and yang is most mysterious, and one of the goals of Internal Alchemy.

The splitting apart of yin and yang as creation unfolds implies prior contact.

What is eastern and western culture?

dragon and tiger

wood and metal

benevolence and righteousness

left and right

Those familiar with the USA coastlines may be able to see clearly how the West Coast expresses a strong wood energy while the East Coast is strongly metal. Remember, we live on a globe; East and West are ever relative, as is their scope.

how do we determine, how do we know what is yang and what is yin ?

whats the formula ?

The seed of one is ever present within the other.

To see clearly one simplifies the noise of life until the expressions of the fundamental come to the forefront.

You seem very interested in studying Yang and Yin. I support Beyonder's suggestion for studying the Yi Jing - the book of changes between yin and yang.

TaoMaster,

There's no such thing. Anything you can define as one, you can define as the other. "Tall-er" is "Yang" because Yang is inherently the definition of "more," and taller in this context implies that. It depends solely on the parameters. You could just as easily define the parameters to create a situation where it was Yin, about anything. Because that is the true nature of Tao, not because it's a trick of words or anything. I'm also aware of the way in which I speak about "god," and indeed so. Because I am capturing most people's poorly thought out version of god, which they they hoist upon the world with great vigor. And I urge people to look harder. Ultimately, I have no true care for whatever people say or do, including how they label their beliefs about the universe. But I think it's a quality of truth many people don't care to ascertain, and it's pitiful. But, however they need to do things is their own experience, and I respect it as the way another being must go about things. But, I am my own nature too, and express it so in the way I see fit as well. Nothing more complicated than that for any of us.

Edit: Apologies I didn't address everything in your response. One of which was the reference to Yin being the first state, and I wholeheartedly agree. I found this truth in Taiji... Everything starts and comes to rest in Yin. It is the void in which all things are allowed to manifest. Agreed :-)

Edited by ViscountValmont

yeah theres allota yang yin all over the place but how do we know whats what which is which ?

heaven and earth , isnt there a little of both on earth ? little heaven , little hellish too, on earth ? :)

I dont see heaven or hell but i know of them . I do see the earth .

Heaven is yang hell yin , earth sits between them in the present . half and half.................half day and half night .

ive never seen the i ching materials but i know of them .

is it not good to understand a concept ?

as far as i know understanding is a good thing and misunderstanding not .

knowing and understanding are positive things and their "nots" are negative .

i prefer the positive sensations over negative :)

when i understand a thing or concept i feel good but when i want to understand a thing or concept and can not but instead misunderstand, i feel bad .

im certain all life forms are this way

when a thing is not important either way then it doesnt matter either way . Its only when importance is assigned or another word significance that allot of sensation is generated.

The first two hexagrams from the I Ching is a great place to start to understand. Who can be companions of heaven and earth

Yang within yin, whens its dark outside there is still light from planets and stars. Yin with in Yang when the sun is up there are still dark places of shadow. Dark becomes light and light becomes dark, meaning yin and yang are relative to each other.

If we look at yin and yang as not a concept to understand we can just observe it happening everyday. Who can be like earth not caring but caring for ALL things. Who can be like heaven not kind but kind to ALL things.

yes there are no limits on desire. Desire is the subjective to everything objective .

where there is life there is desire.

how is left and right both? both yang and yin ?

if yang and yin are vertical with yang on top then horizontal opposes vertical and since there are two halfs, one must be yang and the other yin

so how is it determined ?

if you put the planet on your shoulders where your head is now then turn the planet counter clock wise the sun comes up in the east first . east is on your left side. since its where the sun light ( yang )shines first , thats your yang side . left . so yin must be your right. :)

Desire is only limited by one's imagination

The absolute quantification of yin and yang is impossible as they are not mutually exclusive, and contextually bound only by the limits of imagination.

They are both.

Every cause has an effect. Every movement causes an outward ripple. When it catches upon the world it will ripple back and forth until it reaches us again.

Nothing we do is without effect, and the Tao speaks to us without cessation. Some neglect to listen deeply enough.

When the unfolding of dimensions created the duality of self vs other, inside vs outside. Before this there was no friction within transformation.

The merging and unification of yin and yang is most mysterious, and one of the goals of Internal Alchemy.
The splitting apart of yin and yang as creation unfolds implies prior contact.

dragon and tiger
wood and metal
benevolence and righteousness
left and right

Those familiar with the USA coastlines may be able to see clearly how the West Coast expresses a strong wood energy while the East Coast is strongly metal. Remember, we live on a globe; East and West are ever relative, as is their scope.

The seed of one is ever present within the other.

To see clearly one simplifies the noise of life until the expressions of the fundamental come to the forefront.

You seem very interested in studying Yang and Yin. I support Beyonder's suggestion for studying the Yi Jing - the book of changes between yin and yang.

Edited by TaoMaster

TaoMaster,

There's no such thing. Anything you can define as one, you can define as the other. "Tall-er" is "Yang" because Yang is inherently the definition of "more," and taller in this context implies that. It depends solely on the parameters. You could just as easily define the parameters to create a situation where it was Yin, about anything. Because that is the true nature of Tao, not because it's a trick of words or anything. I'm also aware of the way in which I speak about "god," and indeed so. Because I am capturing most people's poorly thought out version of god, which they they hoist upon the world with great vigor. And I urge people to look harder. Ultimately, I have no true care for whatever people say or do, including how they label their beliefs about the universe. But I think it's a quality of truth many people don't care to ascertain, and it's pitiful. But, however they need to do things is their own experience, and I respect it as the way another being must go about things. But, I am my own nature too, and express it so in the way I see fit as well. Nothing more complicated than that for any of us.

Edit: Apologies I didn't address everything in your response. One of which was the reference to Yin being the first state, and I wholeheartedly agree. I found this truth in Taiji... Everything starts and comes to rest in Yin. It is the void in which all things are allowed to manifest. Agreed :-)

no such thing as what ?

i know why taller is yang , :) Im 6'5

I know what allot of which is yang or which is yin .

Can anyone tell me how to determine what is positive and what is negative ?

If it can be done for one thing it can be done for every thing.

Is being optimistic being positive or negative ?

Is being pessimistic being positive or negative ?

Is yes a positive or a negative ?

Is no a positive or a negative. ?

its what comes first that make a difference between the two

Positive always comes first and then negative.

positive is positive and negative is negative .

if they were the same thing reversible then there would be no spark to a battery

in general terms yang is yes and yin is no .

also, yang and yin are perfect and for there to be perfection there must be imperfection .

stars at night and shadows by day are some of the imperfections of yang and yin

but it doesnt make yang and yin any less perfect unless you see it from the yin side of negative.

Edited by TaoMaster

This is my point. While Yin is inherently emptiness, femininity, darkness, softness... and Yang fullness, masculinity, light, hardness... The point is that there is no truly determining what is what. There is no static definition, because ALL things are both Yin and Yang simultaneously, and fluidly I might add. Always changing toward it's opposite, with no true "purity" of either. That is the rule. Tao just operates this way.

This is my point. While Yin is inherently emptiness, femininity, darkness, softness... and Yang fullness, masculinity, light, hardness... The point is that there is no truly determining what is what. There is no static definition, because ALL things are both Yin and Yang simultaneously, and fluidly I might add. Always changing toward it's opposite, with no true "purity" of either. That is the rule. Tao just operates this way.

go it thx , :)

if all things are made of both yang and yin ( which they are ) then how can one be yin and the other yang and then be both yang and yin too ?

they can not .

or can they :)

does the positive side terminal of a car battery have its negative side in equal amounts with its positive ?

no.

if it did , sparks would be instantaneous like when the + side gets close to the - side.

which is positive the lead or the acid ?

does the negative side? no

THATS what a battery does. They are together and separate at the same time.

does a magnet have a positive and negative pole at each end ? not really but they do have poles in common when two are more batteries are present . These common poles can be labeled as positive and negative .

the positive repels the negative and the negative the positive .

things that move forward can be labeled positive and things that go backwards neg . This does not mean that some thigns can only go in one direction or that the pos can be relabeled when its direction changes.

You can call north south or south north too .

a lie is stating that something is or is not when it is not or is .

its just flipping poles.

the truth is stating something is when it is and is not when it is not .

this is attraction while the lie is pushing away. just like the magnet :)

agreement is like two common poles of a magnet and opposition is like the two repelling poles of a magnet

the common side can definitively be labeled as positive and its negative , negative every time in every case and perspective nor context :) has no say in the matter . This is non exceptional

if this is not the way of the tao then im not taomaster :)

yes. I understand you can label a pole as positive and label the other as negative and then switch the labels around. Or remove them all together. a single Magnet does not have a positive or negative .

when you have two magnets you still only have two poles. 100 magnets , still two poles.

you can break the magnet in half and still have the same two poles.

Positive pole attracts pos and repels neg . Same for the neg . It attracts likeness and repels opposites.

there is no way to break it in half and just have a positive magnet or just a negative.

so is the yang and yin avatar i use . The black never touches the white and yet it is still a single circle. if you break it in half its still black and white. The white side is positive and the black side negative Yang and yin .

this rule applies to all things in the universe. from the smallest particle to the largest Galaxy.

ViscountValmont,

how can you label the Yang as fullness, masculinity, light, hardness ? :)

why is fullness not a yin attribute or light and hardness ( which is actually a yin attribute )

what other things in the world are yin or yang and how do you determine this ?

did you read about it in a book ?

this is what im after :)

if we label yang as yes and yin as no with yes being positive and no being negative does this not exist ?

is this non existence the way of the tao ?

If it doesn't exist then how can i perceive it every day in my life. If any thing can be perceived , then it exists. Even if its a whisper of a thought, or a wisp of a breeze, its a thing.

when i tell my dog to go and she just sits there, I see that as a big no and when she goes, I see that as a big yes.

when i play ping pong we hit the ball over the net back and forth but one of us had to serve it first . The server is yang then yin then yang then yin until one of the two fail .

Yang and yin is a way to organize what the heck is going on in the world , whats right and whats wrong. Context plays a role when determining which is which and so does sequence. :)

its when we don't assign positive or negative we have disorder, a yin attribute.

a magnet like our universe has 6 sides.

top bottom, left right and front back

its a box that so many refer to when they say "think outside the box" .

the circle is its opposite to the square and yet the circle also has 6 sides just like the box.

what makes them opposite is that one is curved and the other is straight .

which came first ?

the circle :)

ill let you determine how i came to this conclusion :)

heres a hint . do you see any box shaped planets suns or stars ?

if a lie is stating the truth is not true, how can the lie exist is there is no truth to lie about ?

can there be a lie- without the truth+ first+ ? no -

can there be truth+ without a lie- after- ? yes +

i see a yang and a yin right there and its as definite as the sun is bright :)

there's only one " up " even if you are upside down , up is still up. its just that up is down until you are not upside down.

a thing is what it is when its first created . if you change that it no longer exists as that first thing and now a new thing is created but it too has a first and when its destroyed it has a last .

every thing has a first and last . if you assign the first as pos and its last as neg, then all things in the universe can and do have a definite yang and definite yin , no exceptions .

which is which and how is it determined in a definite way ? :)

if we can determine this for one thing, then all things can be determined this way . the true law of duality is not a selective law based on perspective :)

• Like 1

You ask a lot of questions.

Answers only come from within.

i do ask allot for a very specific purpose. :) Ive gotten correct and incorrect answers from both self and others . But I know what you mean :)

TaoMaster,

Who put the little black and white circles in each side ( unlike my avatar ) and who said they could do that ?

I much prefer the more traditional yin/yang emblem, because those little circles inside each half represent the latent seed condition, which is a very important kind of understanding. Of course without the little circles you can still see the seed dynamic where the thick yin stripe gives way to a thin and gradually growing yang stripe, if you follow the outside of the circle, but that's more obscure and requires more mental effort to notice.

Mature yang is pregnant with yin. Mature yin is pregnant with yang. That's what I mean by a seed condition.

Edited by goldisheavy
  • Like 1

TaoMaster,

I much prefer the more traditional yin/yang emblem, because those little circles inside each half represent the latent seed condition, which is a very important kind of understanding. Of course without the little circles you can still see the seed dynamic where the thick yin stripe gives way to a thin and gradually growing yang stripe, if you follow the outside of the circle, but that's more obscure and requires more mental effort to notice.

Mature yang is pregnant with yin. Mature yin is pregnant with yang. That's what I mean by a seed condition.

on one side of the yang yin spectrum , the yang side, there's perfection and the other imperfection, its yin side .

i choose to remove the circles . They relate to the negative side of imperfection and only use the yang yin in its perfect state.

I also turned it so white is on top . Yang is always on top of yin.

i think chinese is written from top bottom too. of use to be .

even the future, present and past are stacked from top to bottom with present time between them . Past on the bottom

English sentences are written starting from left to right . Left also happens to be yang which always comes first .

some subjective reality :)