daojones

Tarot Set for beginner - any recommendations

Are you saying the Thoth deck and '93 stream' is primarily (or was primarily) associated with Chaos magick ???

One could say then that it satanic as Anton le Vey used it. Or that the OTO is what Kenneth Grant 'teaches' and is somehow 'infected' by his claims to understand what it is about.

If any thing, the Thoth deck, primarily and through stages in time ( regardless of pop magick/fashion) it is about the teachings and symbolism of the OTO degrees. Not IMO - read Crowley's Book of Thoth ... that is from the developer of the deck itself.

Although I am sure others including chaos magicians and others insist on their own slant to it. The cards in the Thoth deck are virtually the 'tracing boards' of the OTO rituals .... both developed by the same person.

Nope. Just saying Crowley's deck is used a lot by OTO and Crowleyites, because it is an awesomely advanced deck.

Then, on a separate conversation, I mentioned some chaotes picked up on the 93 current and piggybacked off it with their ''io kaos'' current.

In this thread, folks were talking about Crowley's deck being a little... dark... so I thought a "grumpy" (cat) Crowley might fit :D.

Though you are right Zhongyongdaoist, a leopard face would likely have been more appropriate considering.

• Like 1

Well, after all Crowley did have Leo rising, so certainly somewhat appropriate, but he might have preferred something . . . well, . . . a little grander.

So he came up with this (note the chest sigil)

Wands%20-%20Prince%20of%20Wands.jpg

The cards definitely have an energy about them.

Certainly psychedelic.

I know there's been a reprint recently.

I got some amazon tokens gathering dust.

I probably shouldn't.

They do look nice trimmed.

Some do this

rounding3.jpg

and end up with

sdc10527.jpg

Better or worse ???

Oh I like them much better like this. Could get one of those oversized decks and do it :).

Someone was selling the original paintings of this deck, on ebay, a couple of years back, for only $5000 for all 72. Was soooo tempting. (came with a certificate of authentication). Though the shipping would have been another couple grand.

yeah ... what a scam! Also they was a relatively recent exhibition of some in UK . The whole lot for what one of them is worth ?

In shamelessly researching this topic, having thought BKA's statement was in error, I found that Frieda bequeathed all the artwork to some chap, who gave the card plates to the institute. He kept a number of drafts and alternative compositions, some individual pieces which all later sold for up to £6000+ each, I think. That's british pound sterling.

Oh I like them much better like this. Could get one of those oversized decks and do it :).

yes, its fun ... also when trimmed it is easier to piece them together so the seemingly disparate and (to some) jarring perspectives actually make sense when putting certain cards together and overlapping and inverting them.

• Like 1

i dont really understand the problem with the thoth deck... the artwork is incredible - its inspired and deeply informative

ive got a jpeg of "the universe" on my phones opening screen

this one is also worth a good long meditation:

death-thoth.jpg

musical accompaniment:

I just bought The Wild Unknown deck. Haven't felt this strong of a connection with a deck since the 1st and only one I've bought. I am surprised it's not a more popular deck. Some of the just images blew me away. Powerful stuff. It will make a good compliment to the deck I work with right now. :)

http://www.thewildunknown.com/products/tarot-deck

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi

I just bought The Wild Unknown deck. Haven't felt this strong of a connection with a deck since the 1st and only one I've bought. I am surprised it's not a more popular deck. Some of the just images blew me away. Powerful stuff. It will make a good compliment to the deck I work with right now. :)

http://www.thewildunknown.com/products/tarot-deck

My 2 cents, Peace

I like it ... never used it but the visuals and theme attract me

wild-unknown-poster.jpg