Mudryah

Man lived to the age of 256

The problem is no one seen Babaji. They believe that Babaji is only symbol of the internal Guru who they called Babaji and that such real person never existed. This is just symbol of the Divine Avatar, not real looking young immortal person.

Not true... (allegedly...)

Shyama Charan Lahiri, (September 30, 1828 – September 26, 1895), best known as Lahiri Mahasaya, was an Indian yogi and a disciple of Mahavatar Babaji. He was also popularly known as Yogiraj and Kashi Baba. He revived the yogic science of Kriya Yoga when he learned it from Mahavatar Babaji in 1861.
In 1861, Lahiri was transferred to Ranikhet, in the foothills of the Himalayas. One day, while walking in the hills, he heard a voice calling to him. After climbing further, he met his Guru Mahavatar Babaji, who initiated him into the techniques of Kriya Yoga. Babaji told Lahiri that the rest of his life was to be given to spreading the Kriya message.

and also this guy claimed to have him as teacher:

An Illumined Being with direct experiences of Mahavatar Babaji Gorakshanath, Yogiraj Gurunath Siddhanath spent his early years in the Himalayas with the great Nath Yogis in whose presence he was transformed, realizing the unity of all Yogas and Religions. A Master of Kundalini Kriya Yoga, Yogiraj’s message to Humanity is EARTH PEACE THROUGH SELF PEACE. In conveying his message, Yogiraj goes beyond the limited reach of words and offers the grace of direct Experience.

While traveling as a teenager in the Himalayas, Yogiraj was blessed and empowered by the spiritual supermen of the Himalayan caves. His divine transformation flowered after his deep and personal experiences with the supreme yogi-Christos known as the Mahavatar (Supreme Spirit Incarnate) Shiva-Goraksha-Babaji (the same mentioned by Paramahansa Yogananda in his “Autobiography of a Yogi”). With these blessings he was charged with the duty to spread the teachings of “Earth peace through Self peace” and spiritual evolution of Consciousness through the divine science of Kundalini Kriya Yoga meditation.

And those are just the ones Im familiar with.. Im sure many others have made the claim of meeting Babaji directly

:wacko::)

In 1861, Lahiri was transferred to Ranikhet, in the foothills of the Himalayas. One day, while walking in the hills, he heard a voice calling to him. After climbing further, he met his Guru Mahavatar Babaji, who initiated him into the techniques of Kriya Yoga. Babaji told Lahiri that the rest of his life was to be given to spreading the Kriya message.

And those are just the ones Im familiar with.. Im sure many others have made the claim of meeting Babaji directly

Are you familar with Babaji or you hold a candle when Babaji initiated Lahiri or might be you just read in a book about Lahiri's experience? When you meet Babaji in person only then you can say what is true or not. ;)

There are many other examples on how somebody was initiated by Babaji but obviously they can't prove it. It is just statements. Lahiri wrote much about internal guru, so I believe that Babaji is methaphor and....

An Illumined Being with direct experiences of Mahavatar Babaji Gorakshanath, Yogiraj Gurunath Siddhanath spent his early years in the Himalayas with the great Nath Yogis in whose presence he was transformed, realizing the unity of all Yogas and Religions. A Master of Kundalini Kriya Yoga, Yogiraj’s message to Humanity is...

Oh, gosh... This man states on his website that he does not belong to nath smpradaya so he should not claim that he has connection to Babaji Gorakshanth. Gorakshanath as yogi did existed in the Middle Ages in india and he was very powerful yogi but naths revere him as Divine Energy (or Dharma, sattvic tattva beyond Maya). This is not person. So Babaji is the same principle. In India they call any guru Babaji. So Babaji is guru principle. And probably it is same principle as Gorakshanath. One must not recieve transmision directly from Babaji. As for Kriya Yoga it is derived from nath tradition actually and it is simplified version of nath's techniques. Anyone who has transmission from a guru have right to say he is initiated by Babaji. But I repeat that Babaji is not real immortal yogi in flesh but Divine principle.

You have to be careful with someone who states that he belongs to nath tradition. There are loads of fake gurus in India and only few are real gurus. There are many attached to money gurus even among naths. The same goes to Kriya Yoga. They use some ideas from authentic yoga to use people in their goals. I would suggest you to read Lahiri's commentaries on yoga. As for his claims of meeting Babaji don't take it too seriously. It could be someone who showed him kriyas. There are many kriyas in India bc people interpreted nath techniqes on diff manner.

If you ask me how I know this I will say that I know guru of nath tradition and I talked a lot to him about yoga and he said that Babaji is myth. He is probably only one authentic guru who talk about yoga with westerners. It is closed tradition and really diff to find real guru who will tell you about true Yoga.

Sorry but I have to say that almost anyone who says anything about yoga or Indian yogis does not know much about real Yoga. You must talk to someone who initated to authentic Yoga in Indian Tradition.

There are many theories about yoga in many western schools coming from teachers like Swami... or Shri Shri... and many books have written but unfortunatelly this is not true information about Yoga.

Edited by Antares

I was just stating that some people have made claims of meeting Babaji in person. I never said it was true or not. You said "no one has ever seen him." So, by your same logic, unless you were there in person as well, you cannot say whether it is true or not either. ^_^

Jumping to conclusions over stuff like this is to be expected however, especially in certain cases.

And yes, the claims of nath lineage are pretty funny. Way too many frauds out there are saying it too.

I editted my previous post and I explained how I know this. That person lived in India for many years and talked to many gurus and no one confirmed that Babaji is person. But it is known that Kriya yoga is coming from nath lineage, so it is simple conclusion that kriyas are nath's tradition techniques and thus Babaji is myth. You said "Not true...". I explained you why Babaji is myth. There is no point to believe in Babaji as immortal person until you meet him in person. Better to let go it and practise.

Otherwise those people who make statements about Babaji would not get older and would not die. But as you can see they die.

The same is for taoist who say about physical immortality. Have you seen any taoist immortal? What is the point to discuss it on the forum?

The point is that your initial claim was incorrect, and I know how sincerely you desire to be correct, so I am just helping you to achieve that.

You said "no one has seen him", but by your own logic, unless you are there personally "to hold the candle" or whatever, you cannot say whether it is true or not in regards to these other people who have claimed to. ;)

Yeeeeah boi! This was spoken about in "The Tao of Pooh" by Benjamin Hoff.

Anyone who lives to an old age without any health problems, great! Maybe I will be the same (I don't appear to be ageing so there's a start!)

It's a shame that most people I see aged 60+ look like hell. I befriended a man just over a year ago...75 and a plate of pills and stacks of cigarettes to see him through the days. He passed in January just gone, poor soul. If only we could all find it in ourselves to follow the healier stress -free path...

The translator on google is not doing a very good job.

李庆远一生娶过24个妻子子孙满堂。

Li Qing Yuan in his life time married 24 times with many children and grandchildren.

24 wives.

that alone should have killed him 200 years ago :ph34r:

The translator on google is not doing a very good job.

李庆远一生娶过24个妻子子孙满堂。

Li Qing Yuan in his life time married 24 times with many children and grandchildren.

Apparently he didn't bother with that whole retention thing ;).

• Like 3

Yes, apparently he didn't and ended up with 180 offspring including children and grandchildren.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

So, how you know that he did not practice "retention" unless for planned procreation?

The point is that your initial claim was incorrect, and I know how sincerely you desire to be correct, so I am just helping you to achieve that.

You said "no one has seen him", but by your own logic, unless you are there personally "to hold the candle" or whatever, you cannot say whether it is true or not in regards to these other people who have claimed to. ;)

You don't seem to understand what I wrote about Babaji. It's very simple:

1) The myth of immortal Babaji is coming from kriya yoga

2) Kriya yoga is set of kriyas

3) Kriyas are part of nath tradition but not Babaji's tradition

4) Many people use the name Babaji in order to make their lineage real.

5) You believe only what people write in their books

6) Up to you what to believe to :wub:

There is one saint in Anatolia said to live a similar long duration. I looked for it in internet but could not find it.

Basically, such a long life should be granted by God Almighty before the incarnation of subject person.

There is another documented case in Turkey, Zaro Aga or Zaro Agha to live 157 or 160 years. (Born in 1774 or 1777, died in 1934)

He is known to eat plain yoghurt all his life time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaro_Aga

Edited by Isimsiz Biri

长寿秘诀

保持一种平静的心态坐如龟行如雀睡如狗这就是李庆远留给后人长寿的秘诀指引。他始终认为保持一个平静安宁的心态是长寿所必须的。他的饮食主要以米饭和少量的葡萄酒为主。

The longevity secret:

Keep yourself calm, sit like a turtle, walk like a bird, and sleep like a dog. That is the longevity secret he had left for his descendants. He thought keep calm is a necessity for longevity. His main diet was rice and a small amount of wine.

This is exactly how one feels when plugged into the Full Void (esp. with DMT); It is the least possible effort for the most possible expenditure.

We have Samadhi of Samadhi (Knowingness of Void) but we also have Samadhi in Samadhi - Beingness of Void. In this latter, it feels as if one does not move from their position irrespective of action.

For instance I am sitting down right now on my knees. I am aware of Void and my self-hood is immersed into Void. However my body is in the same tired state it was before, I have not been eating as healthily, worrying too much (imagine that!) and all manner of things.

I have a habit of hastily attending to people's calls, eager to help at the expense of my own savourment of the Now.

If someone called me, I might jump up off my knees to the door in a haste. I would feel this as a jerking motion pulling me away and uprooting me, like a tree being ripped out of the ground by a fierce storm, its roots left in the ground. This is energy wasting. If I were to try a frontflip or backflip right now, I might perhaps fall and hurt myself.

Yet with Samadhi, abiding in the still point of total rest, I would be doing these flips over and over and over again. I myself would not be moving whatsoever. My central point would not move - it is somewhere in the Heart-Center or Solar Plexus region. There is the experience of moving the entire universe around you, rather than moving the body. The energy transmits to everything else and the remainder is used to tenderly and smoothly move the limbs, torso and head of the body with absolutey precise determination. The precision happens automatically as when the energy is given to the entire World, only the remainder is given back by the World and that remainder is the Best - any more or any less would not feel perfect, so it is the Best.

The correct way is to let energy always flow to the ground, always. Rooted to the Earth as a tree, Crown open and receiving Full Void energy like a jug pouring water into a well. There is the distinct experience of a current flowing down from Heaven to Earth. It is like a continuous lightning strike, like a tesla coil for instance, unceasing except when the continuity of flow is wilfully ceased. The rumbling of the thunder animates the body, the inpouring of the lightning charges the Self.

A brilliant example I may point to is that of optical tweezers. We take a set of lasers, have them facing opposite each other. One for the top, one for the bottom, one for the left, one for the right, one for front, one for back. All the beams coalesce onto a single point in their midst. A single grain of dust, a single atom can be held by their beams of light and moved around with utmost precision. So this is the state of Samadhi in Samadhi, Absorption within Absorption, also known as Flow - see: The Psychology of Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

In this state, there is the feeling of the World revolving around You. You yourself are doing nothing. People come to you, people go from you. Even as you move around, it feels as the Earth is orbiting You, the Sun is orbiting You. You yourself are not moved by anyone or anything, not even your own body. Thus is Wu Wei: Effortless Action.

From another thread ("Poor Breathing may cause upper body pain), a link is posted: The Respiration Connection

There is a truly crucial statement in this article. The understanding and magnitude of it is of true importance:

"Even people who can breathe diaphragmatically when they go slowly will start to reverse breathe when they pick up the pace. Only after years of practice have I learned to breathe diaphragmatically at speed. It’s purely a matter of coordination, a pat-your-head/rub-your-tummy challenge!

Reverse breathing is not inherently bad, but it’s not a good idea to go it all the time. It’s hard to ventilate thoroughly if you are sucking in your belly while your diaphragm is trying to descend."

This is the essence of Wu Wei. The action of Inhale-Belly Out=>Exhale-Belly in, this action is the Non-Action of Wu Wei. See how fast you can walk preserving this. A bird has wings to fly but the human being flies with the heart, and his wing is the rhythmic pulsing of the belly. Through deep recognition of this breathing, the state of No-Mind arises. It is with the emphasis on allowing the belly to expand and contract irrespective of the judgements and desires of society. The rhythmic flow of the belly generates the momentum which is concentrated at Still Point (click for in-depth explanation). This momentum is the convergence of Jing, Qi, and Shen altogether. I do not have any word for it, nor does it need a word ^_^

From link presented above:
The "still point" is the pause between the out breath and the next inbreath with your focus on the Solar Power Centre.
This is the moment of pure creation, a finite moment whereby we are in a perfect "god moment."
You may want to practice the still point infinity breath a few times in order to become comfortable with the process.
Tto emphasize the still point moment, you may wish to pull in your stomach muscles and take a small "sniff."
in doing so, it closes the circuitry of the infinity energy within your body and spreads it throughout your physical vessel, which is most beneficial and will accelerate the transformation process.

Many people have asked where in the solar power center the breath should enter on the inbreath and the outbreath. It varies from person to person. as you practice, the breath will automatically enter and exit at the appropriate place. within your SPC. Do not try to force it, and the energy will find the appropriate pathway. it has always been there waiting for us to tap into it.

Yes, apparently he didn't and ended up with 180 offspring including children and grandchildren.

Seems he wasn't able to teach them or his wives the 'secret' to extraordinary longevity. Does that mean he didn't love them, was okay with there premature death? Or that its not a trick or method that can be passed along like a diet or practice. Imo if the record is correct he was a genetic outlier, helped by the usuals- good diet, exercise, regular meditation, fresh air.

He's mentioned in one of Daniel Reids book, which goes on to mention a disciple he had who lived a long healthy tao inspired life, and died at 99 years old. I think a long healthy life is one of the 'fruits' of the taoist tree, but reading about contemporary, non mythical practitioners and they're not exactly showing signs of immortality.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

You don't seem to understand what I wrote about Babaji. It's very simple:

1) The myth of immortal Babaji is coming from kriya yoga

2) Kriya yoga is set of kriyas

3) Kriyas are part of nath tradition but not Babaji's tradition

4) Many people use the name Babaji in order to make their lineage real.

5) You believe only what people write in their books

6) Up to you what to believe to :wub:

Your reading comprehension skills seem to be lacking, because in fact, you dont seem to understand what I wrote.

For the third and final time, I do not believe these peoples claims about Babaji one way or the other - I am simply showing you that they are out there.

Up to you to comprehend that or not. :wub:

" but reading about contemporary, non mythical practitioners and they're not exactly showing signs of immortality.'

longevity wise , there is that Lu Zijian baguazhang player........

• Like 2

In my opinion hereditary plays a big part in a persons life span.

My Chinese wife has 2 relatives from her mums side who have lived past the age of 100. They are brothers and the eldest lived to 105 y.o. I went to his 103 birthday and bought along some red wine as he loved it. He was not Taoist and ate and drank mostly rice, meats, greens, tea and wine. As we are still linked with the Queen of England she sent a signed picture frame to him once he hit his 100th birthday. Our prime minister did the same thing.

The second brother who just turned 100 y.o this year still seems to be going strong.

With these genes can you imagine how much longer they would live if they regularly had; meditated, had fresh mountain air, fresh mountain water, no/little stress and ate only fresh fruit, vegetables and herbs which also play a part in a persons life span in my opinion?

My own great grandmother and my daughters great, great grandmother is still alive and well at 99 y.o this month

Edited by Formless Tao

Seems like a lot of wives...

I've heard 14 wives, but even that is about a new wife every 15 years. My gf thinks he was stealing their energy if that info is correct, and that the spirits wouldn't let him live til 500+ cause he was an incubus. Either that or he had a thing for 65 year olds (bucking the immortal trend of having a thing for 16 year olds).

btw my girlfriends opinion is completely tongue in cheek and i am only repeating it here cause i think its funny and maybe even possible, but not to garner any kind of commentary in response.

glad you noticed Brian, that detail has always stood out of his story for me. I found (on microfiche) a copy of the NYT article from the early 1900s in which that photo appears, and it says he came down to celebrate his 255th birthday. It said that nobody believed him until he started to ask their names, and then tell them stories about their ancestors who he knew 255 years ago, to their universal amazement. I think that version is the one that said he had 14 wives. Of course, we'll never know the details of his life, and masters like that often conceal the truth if they reveal anything at all about themselves, but personally i believe such longevity is quite possible for someone who dedicates their life to it.

Seems he wasn't able to teach them or his wives the 'secret' to extraordinary longevity. Does that mean he didn't love them, was okay with there premature death? Or that its not a trick or method that can be passed along like a diet or practice. Imo if the record is correct he was a genetic outlier, helped by a the usuals- good diet, exercise, regular meditation, fresh air.

He's mentioned in one of Daniel Reids book, which goes on to mention a disciple he had who lived a long healthy tao inspired life, and died at 99 years old. I do long healthy life is one of the 'fruits' of the taoist tree, but reading about contemporary, non mythical practitioners and they're not exactly showing signs of immortality.

I have a lady relative is 106 years old now. She have 13 Children. Two of her older sons have died already. She fell with a deep cut on her leg muscle few years back. She has not practice any martial arts nor chi kung. If she have had practices anything at all, I can imaging that it would add a lot more years into her life.

3. And the Blessed One said: "Whosoever, Ananda, has developed, practiced, employed, strengthened, maintained, scrutinized, and brought to perfection the four constituents of psychic power could, if he so desired, remain throughout a world-period or until the end of it. The Tathagata, Ananda, has done so. Therefore the Tathagata could, if he so desired, remain throughout a world-period or until the end of it."
4. But the Venerable Ananda was unable to grasp the plain suggestion, the significant prompting, given by the Blessed One. As though his mind was influenced by Mara, he did not beseech the Blessed One: "May the Blessed One remain, O Lord!. May the Happy One remain, O Lord, throughout the world-period, for the welfare and happiness of the multitude, out of compassion for the world, for the benefit, well being, and happiness of gods and men!"
5. And when for a second and a third time the Blessed One repeated his words, the Venerable Ananda remained silent.
6. Then the Blessed One said to the Venerable Ananda: "Go now, Ananda, and do as seems fit to you."
"Even so, O Lord." And the Venerable Ananda, rising from his seat, respectfully saluted the Blessed One, and keeping his right side towards him, took his seat under a tree some distance away.
- maha-parinibbana sutta

or, and most likely

the story is an exaggeration

or blatant ''white lie''

tracing accurate records to confirm or deny is probably not going to happen because this ''marvel'' is being used to fulfill someone's agenda

Edited by SonOfTheGods