Mudryah

Man lived to the age of 256

Uhm...no. While this is the "general" subforum, all this trite BS now has nothing to do with either the thread topic or Daoism. What I will do is "get out" and practice. Worth more than reading on here.

Yes, you're right. That's what I'll do, too.

The Malamati originates in a town called Nishapur in Khorasan in the ninth and tenth centuries. Nishapur was one of the four main towns in Greater Khorasan and it was at the crossroads of two main routes. Because of their distance from Baghdad, the Malamatiyyah originally had very little influence from Sufi practice and thought.
The Malamati mystical movement developed independently from Sufism until the Baghdadi and Khurasani mystical schools combined. With the rise in Sufi literature and the stature of Baghdad as an intellectual community during the late tenth century, Sufi became the umbrella term for all Muslim mystics. The name Malamati slowly disappeared as the term Sufi was used with increasing frequency although the Malamatiyyas had their own distinct practice and ideology. In fact, some sources claim that the Malamati path was heterodox to Sufism and that the two schools of thought are incompatible. Some even claim that the Malamatiyyas are not only separate from Sufism, but also from Islam. Malamati critics say that the Malamatiyyas are not completely Muslim in "spirit or in theory".

The Malamati originates in a town called Nishapur in Khorasan in the ninth and tenth centuries. Nishapur was one of the four main towns in Greater Khorasan and it was at the crossroads of two main routes. Because of their distance from Baghdad, the Malamatiyyah originally had very little influence from Sufi practice and thought.
The Malamati mystical movement developed independently from Sufism until the Baghdadi and Khurasani mystical schools combined. With the rise in Sufi literature and the stature of Baghdad as an intellectual community during the late tenth century, Sufi became the umbrella term for all Muslim mystics. The name Malamati slowly disappeared as the term Sufi was used with increasing frequency although the Malamatiyyas had their own distinct practice and ideology. In fact, some sources claim that the Malamati path was heterodox to Sufism and that the two schools of thought are incompatible. Some even claim that the Malamatiyyas are not only separate from Sufism, but also from Islam. Malamati critics say that the Malamatiyyas are not completely Muslim in "spirit or in theory".

Thank you for your post.

Since you just quoted but did not write any comment, I will reply as I perceive. Please warn me if there is misinterpretation from my side.

1. Malamatis emerged centuries after Islam. The first Malami was Hamdun al Qassar. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hamdun_Qassar) He lived in Nishapur, died 884/885 AD in Nishapur, 252 years after death of Prophet Muhammad.

2. My closest friend is also a Malami. They still exist. My friend's master is Mr. Ahmet Arslan. His blog:

http://ahmetarslanefendi.blogspot.com/ (Turkish)

A Turkish blog about Malamis. (http://melamilik.blogspot.com/)

A notable figure in late Malami History, Muhammad Nurul Arabi (1813-1887) http://muhammednurularabi.blogspot.com/

The history of Malamis is considered in three stages. Muhammd Nurul Arabi found the third stage.

3. There is a heterodox movement in Malamis, we do not consider them eligible. We love and respect Malamati of Prophet Muhammad.

The Malamati movement which is loyal to teachings of Prophet Muhammad are people of compassion.

A real Malami is not different than a real Mawlavi (of Rumi) They all live as Muslims. They pray five times daily. They do not consume alcohol. They obey Sharia. They also obey Tariqa. They also obey Haqiqa and Marifa.

If you look at the history of all religions they assimilate the previous existing religions of the land into their own faith rather than completely destroy them, so I don't see why Islam is any different. There will have been already existing mystical traditions assimilated into Islam who will take on Islamic beliefs and later get called different names like Sufi in order not to be persecuted, so there were certainly mystical traditions predating Islam they will just have another name, then they take on Islamic customs in order to avoid being beheaded by the narrow minded.

• Like 1

This is an interesting discussion but it is WAAAY off-topic. Y'all wanna start a new thread?

• Like 2

If you look at the history of all religions they assimilate the previous existing religions of the land into their own faith rather than completely destroy them, so I don't see why Islam is any different. There will have been already existing mystical traditions assimilated into Islam who will take on Islamic beliefs and later get called different names like Sufi in order not to be persecuted, so there were certainly mystical traditions predating Islam they will just have another name, then they take on Islamic customs in order to avoid being beheaded by the narrow minded.

If this theory was true, you would be able to mention at least one Sufi traditions' name which had existed before Islam. There is none. Repeat, the first Sufi was Junayd of Baghdad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sufism#Origins

Eminent Sufis such as Ali Hujwiri claim that the tradition first began with Ali ibn Abi Talib furthermore Junayd of Baghdad regarded Ali as the Sheikhof the principals and practices of Sufism.[33]

Practitioners of Sufism hold that in its early stages of development Sufism effectively referred to nothing more than the internalization of Islam.[34]According to one perspective, it is directly from the Qur'an, constantly recited, meditated, and experienced, that Sufism proceeded, in its origin and its development.[35] Others have held that Sufism is the strict emulation of the way of Muhammad, through which the heart's connection to the Divine is strengthened.[36]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junayd_of_Baghdad

Born 830 AD, two hundred years after death of Prophet Muhammad.

There have been some Sufis beheaded due to their views. The most famous one is Mansur Al-Hallaj.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansur_Al-Hallaj) He lived 858-922 AD

I would encourage all to be cognizant of the original topic (a discussion of the longevity attributed to Li Qing Yuan) and ask yourself whether future posts contribute to that discussion or not.

• Like 5

I would encourage all to be cognizant of the original topic (a discussion of the longevity attributed to Li Qing Yuan) and ask yourself whether future posts contribute to that discussion or not.

You can not find anything more about Li Qing Yuan, other than already shared information on page 1.