Sign in to follow this  
ssmith7

Magnetism or Electricity

I doubt if electrical engineering books will tell you about electromagnetism in the human body.

No, they won't. But there are people who study these things. The methods of testing are still being developed.

I have heard some suggest that it is ionization as well.

I would question this because most ionization processes take place in the upper atmosphere. But the radiation could be coming back down.

How do you explain it then?

I normally don't even try. I have had my own experience which I cannot explain and I know someone who has had an experience but after that she became a healer so she has her own way of explaining it.

I would question this because most ionization processes take place in the upper atmosphere. But the radiation could be coming back down.

I normally don't even try. I have had my own experience which I cannot explain and I know someone who has had an experience but after that she became a healer so she has her own way of explaining it.

I am quite keen on the works of Dr. Jwing-Ming Yang who has a background in engineering but also in martial arts. He has a theory to explain qi in the body based on electrical energy which is very convincing ... he seems to have a good balance between traditional Chinese thinking and science.

• Like 3

Yeah, there are a number of 'works in progress' I have heard about that seem possible. Perhaps Dr. Yang's theory could be established as he would be looking at the coin from both sides.

And, of course, as with most things such as this, it works better if you believe it works. (I won't say if this is psychological or the effect of the concentration of energy.)

• Like 1

Well, since nobody has answered the question I will try.

There are people in martial arts who claim to be able to have an effect on people without touching them. I have not experienced this myself, however I have heard accounts that you certainly can feel it, but you are free to resist it quite easily. In other words I would not waste my time. This is different to injecting chi via touch, which is very doable but quite hard.

What you want in martial arts it for your body to more or less open onto the other person. The relaxation and opening can feel quite magnetic as that's the only thing we really associate with having an empty force creating expansion. I'm yet to be convinced that having your arms float up has anything to do with magnetics, however I do use that idea to create it. Just because it feels like something doesn't necessarily mean that's what's happening. When my arms let go and felt like they were elongating to maybe 3 metres long they certainly were not doing that.

It's an internal process expressed physically. Don't get caught up in all the mystical stuff. You CAN inject chi into a person for both healing and martial arts but I don't know anyone personally who has the kind of control to pull it off. You can also stimulate the chi of another person via touch which is quite easy and can be mistaken as injecting chi. You can also transfer relaxation via touch which is surprisingly helpful for relaxing someone's muscles. I'm not at all sure how the transfer of relaxation works but I have done it and had it done to me and it's very effective.

I have, and the extent of openness mitigating energetic transfer...is really sort of modulated by the transmitter's amplitude potential...and of course by the openness of the receiver...if the receiver has no idea how to open oneself energetically, to most of us we might as well be staring at a cardboard cutout of them. There's all sorts of things that can and do go on "when one is open to it" but it takes some superlative juice to be able to affect someone should they be resistant to it. Plus most of what people will teach are the methods to open op, since they are a fundamental component to the process.

There is a big difference between these two forms of energy though. And the difference is as big as the difference between life and death.

The context we had was a general one...that's why if one minds his verbiage, he can assert specific things, but if one gets too general and the context too wide and blurry, then like all analogues it reaches its bounds of applicability.

I have heard some suggest that it is ionization as well.

what is ionization, but a gradient of potential. em radiation gets created in both directions in that equation.

unless you start digging into the body's energetics, energy centers...leveraging the fields of the body, etc...

electrical engineering books are very specific and so broadly general, the body's energetics are almost always entirely outside the context of those books.

The context we had was a general one...that's why if one minds his verbiage, he can assert specific things, but if one gets too general and the context too wide and blurry, then like all analogues it reaches its bounds of applicability.

Agreed. I just felt the need to suggest that there is a difference. When we speak of energy we are being very general indeed.

E=MC2 is very simplified.

unless you start digging into the body's energetics, energy centers...leveraging the fields of the body, etc...

electrical engineering books are very specific and so broadly general, the body's energetics are almost always entirely outside the context of those books.

Exactly. I have a fair handle on AC, DC, and RF energy because I have worked with it most of my life. Not so much Magnetic except for motors and such mechanical things.

I rarely speak about our body's energy because I lack the knowledge to do so. But I acknowledge its existance.

When I was doing graduate work in applied physics, I built an electrocardiogram out of parts we had laying around the lab. Had a friend who built an electroencephalogram. Both are basically antennae for detecting electromagnetic activity within the body, generated in the heart and brain, respectively -- and both worked. The idea that the body doesn't generate electromagnetic fields is an "opinion" in the same way that the idea that the earth is a flat disk resting on the back of a turtle is an "opinion."

MH, the "difference" is just one of scale rather than of type or form. If I hold a charged particle in my hand, it generates an electric field. If I move it slightly, it also generates a magnetic field. The combination of the electrical and magnetic fields is called electromagnetism. If I shake the charged particle faster, I increase the frequency. If I move it farther, I increase the amplitude.

Shake it back and forth three times per second (up to a couple hundred times per second or so), I'm generating what's called ELF (or extremely low-frequency) radio signals. Atmospheric science, submarine communications, power-grid "noise", etc...

Shake it faster and you increase the frequency (or decrease the wavelength, however you prefer to look at it) and you simply step up the "radio dial" -- up through AM radio, UHF and VHF (including FM radio), microwaves, infrared light, the full visible range (ROYGBIV?), ultraviolet, up into x-rays and gamma rays.

All just a matter of how fast you shake it, baby! :)

Edited by A Seeker
  • Like 8

I am quite keen on the works of Dr. Jwing-Ming Yang who has a background in engineering but also in martial arts. He has a theory to explain qi in the body based on electrical energy which is very convincing ... he seems to have a good balance between traditional Chinese thinking and science.

I am sure a few here have read him, and probably several of his books. I think he has one of the more promising and developing ideas (well, since 1980). But for all his great insights and explanations, he overlooks an inner seeing issue: Why are the extremities really good at generating vibrations? Because they are shaped like tuning forks.

Also interesting to note how a tuning fork can be used to help diagnose a broken bone when no equipment is available.

• Like 1

If I hold a charged particle in my hand, it generates an electric field. If I move it slightly, it also generates a magnetic field. The combination of the electrical and magnetic fields is called electromagnetism. If I shake the charged particle faster, I increase the frequency. If I move it farther, I increase the amplitude. :)

http://thetaobums.com/topic/13357-banter/page-3#entry219629

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li%C3%A9nard%E2%80%93Wiechert_potential

;)

and what are "moving energy" practices, but leveraging and applying vector potentials off of scalars, haha :)

think meridian flows and dantiens!

• Like 1

Plasma (from Greek πλάσμα, "anything formed"[1]) is one of the four fundamental states of matter (the others being solid, liquid, and gas). It comprises the major component of the Sun. Heating a gas may ionize its molecules or atoms (reducing or increasing the number of electrons in them), thus turning it into a plasma, which contains charged particles: positive ions and negative electrons or ions.

MH, the "difference" is just one of scale

Thanks for the crash course. Actually, I was never trained in electricity, it was all "on the job" training and my wanting to know as much as I could about my job and the equipment I worked with. I cannot even begin to describe how valuable all that was.

We won't even go here, OK?

:)

Good idea.

Plasma

That is something that is amazing to me but I have never done the research in order to understand it. Maybe one day. ...

the state of plasma is simply the point at which the energy of the atom is high enough that the electrons become like a soup and are no longer bound to the nucleus.

turning the clock back, think "recombination" after the big bang where the energy level of the universe dropped low enough that nuclei began to grab onto electrons...that's where the cosmic microwave background came from, a crystallization of the universe having dropped enough below the relevant coefficient of friction that the "friction" became dominant, i.e. electron capture.

• Like 2

Yeah, plasma occurs through ionization, do you think the Higgs Boson played a role in this capturing potential?

If my understanding is right, it occurs at lower level as well as higher levels.

. We have already seen that salt becomes a good conductor when melted, but this can also be achieved by dissolving it in water. This is one type of ionization, which can be defined as the process in which one or more electrons are removed from an atom or molecule to create an ion, or the process in which an ionic solid, such as salt, dissociates into its component ions upon being dissolved in a solution.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/ions-and-ionization#ixzz2enJ4KkEA

Plants use ions for photosynthesis too.

Edited by Dagon

Plasma looks really cool.

Neat. And then there is plasma lightning or ball lightning. Rarely see it discussed on any documentaries though.

150px-Lightning3.jpg

Top row: both lightning and electric sparks are everyday examples of phenomena made from plasma.

Neon lights could more accurately be called "plasma lights", as the light comes from the plasma inside of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_(physics)

Lightning, a natural plasma spectacle,
is a challenge to understand.

http://www.plasmacoalition.org/plasma_writeups/lightning.pdf

This whole conversation has me thinking about spontaneous combustion for some reason...

That's one I try to not think about too much. Too complex and confusing.

I doubt if electrical engineering books will tell you about electromagnetism in the human body.

I think that is where the line has drawn between science and science fiction.

LOL

You simply don't want to learn that you are mistaken, do you?

This actually points out one of the problems with "engineering" -- it tends to be rote memorization of (or reference to) textbook recipes rather than comprehension & application of concepts.

Go back to Maxwell's equations, ChiDragon, and explain how the body could NOT generate electromagnetic fields detectable outside the body's envelope.

What you are doing is analogous to saying "differential equations don't exist because my calculator doesn't have a button for them."

You should always try to return to first principles...

If it is geared towards engineers building medical devices? Absolutely!

CD is completely off-track on this topic and if his electrical engineering textbooks really suggest that the human body is an electromagnetic dead-zone (Gaussian surface or whatever), he oughta find some new ones...

• Like 1

I think that is where the line has drawn between science and science fiction.

You really don't have a clue do you. Even cells are maintained by osmotic pressure from positive and negative ions (Cl, Na, K and protein mols) in the blood ... at a very basic level the human body is electrical.

• Like 6

Even our organs have north/south polarity.

Thought this was common knowledge among QG practitioners.

I've witnessed my teacher influencing a compass via the flow from his hands.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this