Sign in to follow this  
norbu

Correct use of Tarot

I have studied Tarot/Qabala since the early 60's. I am a member of two different esoteric orders, both of which specialize in Tarot use. The BOTA school in L.A. is by far and beyond the repository for correct use of Tarot in this time. The Avalon Group, formed by Gareth Knight, and presently headed by Wendy Berg, is another excellent order if you want to learn the true uses of Tarot.

I saw several places on here where people were trying to "go it alone." One word of caution: You don't have the knowledge to determine what training is best for you. You are letting the ego determine how you train and this will never bring you a truly successful result.

Neither of these groups is expensive to join, so my advice is if you are going to play with the Fire, learn how to build a proper stove to contain the Fire.

Norbu

I personally say fuck that shit, if you listen to your intuition and combine that with reading books you will be fine and learn in a natural way. Take your time meditating on the cards and reading descriptions of them and there deeper meanings will gradually unfold as you continue to experiment and do readings.

Ofcourse that is not the best approach for every person and some people need a "structure" to facilitate there learning. That was not my preference when approaching working with the cards. As for using the cards as gateways In Trance work.....I don't have much experience with that......it is best to have non-human guides or inner contacts when working astrally as we tend to be stupid with this stuff given we are quite "dense" beings.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 2

The BOTA course on Tarot is really good,I started to perceive the cards differently than before.I recommend it with both hands

• Like 1

It depends on the person really.

If your psychic structure is constructed in a way that makes you need a group to orient you,

then go join a formal group and get injected into a hierarchy where you can fight for position with others.

Masochist and sadists alike have a lot of great opportunities for unfolding themselves there.

Personally I don't operate well in hierarchies.

So I keep on the fringes, always trying to spot traps that want to pull me into others sadistic structures.

The bait is always alluring, but having access to the same material they pull upon to create those groups to begin with.

I'm seldom impressed by their teachings, and find that the overhead of submitting,

far outweighs the benefits.

In fact all I need to do is triggers some of the higher members,

and they will spill all the beans in defence of their little bubble of participation mystique.

Beyond that, all that seperates someone good is practice...LOTS of practice.

I actually agree with GSmaster- when the gate to the Abyss is sprung, there is nowhere left to run.  However, I have faith that you can traverse, but not to slip back in?  That is hard.  

On the note of the tarot- the BOTA do a good job on an introductory level for a number of occult things.  The two manuals I read by PFC were excellent in explaining and illustrating the essentials.  Ive heard that his interpretation of tarot is excellent as well.  I personally feel that the tarot is too broad now, especially with the Thoth, because it doesn't distil down into the 4 elements as it should (which all things Western should do).

I also don't agree with their placement on the Tree (Qabalah).  I have yet to find a satisfactory explanation of their placements and let us not forget, there are two forms of the tree to consider.

I would like to end this post by saying that the tarot is an excellent form of contemplation and describing the various elements and experiences of the journey of life, especially when combined with the tree.  If you can avoid thinking that it predicts the future, and use it as a short story of things in life to encounter and reflect upon, its a great spiritual system.  The hoodoo voodoo of magic is exciting, and dangerous, and can lead to delusion, though it is hard to say what is or isn't real when it comes to the fantasy side of Magick, it is best to keep it to strict "maybe, probably not" limits.  

Crowley rightly points out that there is only one actual magickal event- the part about opening those doors mentioned earlier, and when those keys are found and used, the fantasy side of Magick will burn you to a crisp.  

• Like 1

Correct use of Tarot...

I do not like the concept.  It is interesting to learn how it has been used of course.  But a 'correct' designation seems to be missing the inherent quality of the deck as thing of itself.  But that is my taste.

I recall doing a spread that indicated conflagration and sudden strife on a quiet boat in Amsterdam all alone in front of a gas/oil stove with candles on it.  Unwise to place cup candles on the stove.  Lady at the time comes home, notices the danger, exclaims and yells  we both struggle to slide them off onto a plate, some fall onto the stove, ignition.  Fire and screams.  Throw  blanket over stove, look down and consider the cards laid out on the floor burning and smile.  The cards were unharmed it was the paraffin.  I like Tarot. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheCove said:

Correct use of Tarot...

I do not like the concept.  It is interesting to learn how it has been used of course.  But a 'correct' designation seems to be missing the inherent quality of the deck as thing of itself.  But that is my taste.

I recall doing a spread that indicated conflagration and sudden strife on a quiet boat in Amsterdam all alone in front of a gas/oil stove with candles on it.  Unwise to place cup candles on the stove.  Lady at the time comes home, notices the danger, exclaims and yells  we both struggle to slide them off onto a plate, some fall onto the stove, ignition.  Fire and screams.  Throw  blanket over stove, look down and consider the cards laid out on the floor burning and smile.  The cards were unharmed it was the paraffin.  I like Tarot. 

I agree with you here .  Any 'correct' use of tarot , I suppose, is the use at hand .

I dont use it to 'tell the future' , but if others do I dont see that as 'incorrect ' .  But that would be incorrect for me .

Same with attributions, on the Tree or other wise . It really doesnt matter what system is used unless it is one that works and you are consistent with it , or the system has its own 'internal logic'   and  it works for you . 

Card meanings or interpretations are similar ... within a boundary , as we do have different suits, numbers and concepts for a valid  reason . 

For example, my 2 fav decks are pretty different  , I  approach them from different 'needs'  :  Thoth deck and Liz Green's "Mythic' ;

s-l300.jpg                                              images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTt6Z7fDlhw-xl4qZHSCPC

• Like 1

The basic framework of a system needs to incorporate as many of lifes challenges and opportunities as possible.  The Tarot does this well.  Combine it with the Kabballah and you get a path and a net that snares the person on the journey through experience.  

The key to these mysteries is to know what the governing Law of the system is, because that is the Law of the Universe in the eyes of the system, and when applied to the journey, one can understand the interpretation of the system as it forecasts your choices and opportunities.  

When it comes to the Tarot the Law is Do What Thou Wilt.  It is the statement that might makes right, and that the mighty will have their Laws enacted.  On a personal level, this translates to your hands, though you still have to navigate the might of others, and so are still subjected to their Laws.  This does not mean you cannot rise to power, and the Tarot can help you do this.  When you travel the Tree you enter the third Sephira and have access to the concepts that enshroud us in experience, and can declare new methods of aim for Truth, and should your method be clear and Good, people will adopt it, as should you.

Edited by Mskied

The Tarot is not just for daily living meditations, it is also tied to the ancient initiation rites of a sacred group of individuals that have influenced the future of mankind.  The story of the Tarot tells the journey of said adept as they go through life and the trials of initiation.  Should you want to partake in this it is easy enough to follow the Wisdom of the Tarot from the Fool and progress.  I do not know if participation in the sacred group is accessed through devotional practice.  I am certain that there is a place for academia.  I can vouch for the Truth that there are other paths.  I do not feel that "by the book" creates innovative concepts always, and it is documented that dramatic interpretations of life via tantric experience is a valid sacred method.  

I want to tell you, should your ambition be to interact with the sacred group, that this is nothing easy, and involves great pain.  The Adept Exempt- which is the step one needs to take to ascend into the upper realms of this method, is an act of sacrifice- a very great sacrifice, and I cant speak upon who should be chosen to participate in this, for the Gods know how terrible it can be.  It involves great strength and discipline, as well as a great fitness, for it is long in suffering.  It is not just the Hanged Man, it is the Tower, and it is the Devil, and it is the Hermit.  These things are difficult to endure, especially for those unprepared.

21 minutes ago, Mskied said:

The Tarot is not just for daily living meditations, it is also tied to the ancient initiation rites of a sacred group of individuals that have influenced the future of mankind.  The story of the Tarot tells the journey of said adept as they go through life and the trials of initiation.  Should you want to partake in this it is easy enough to follow the Wisdom of the Tarot from the Fool and progress.  I do not know if participation in the sacred group is accessed through devotional practice.  I am certain that there is a place for academia.  I can vouch for the Truth that there are other paths.  I do not feel that "by the book" creates innovative concepts always, and it is documented that dramatic interpretations of life via tantric experience is a valid sacred method.  

I want to tell you, should your ambition be to interact with the sacred group, that this is nothing easy, and involves great pain.  The Adept Exempt- which is the step one needs to take to ascend into the upper realms of this method, is an act of sacrifice- a very great sacrifice, and I cant speak upon who should be chosen to participate in this, for the Gods know how terrible it can be.  It involves great strength and discipline, as well as a great fitness, for it is long in suffering.  It is not just the Hanged Man, it is the Tower, and it is the Devil, and it is the Hermit.  These things are difficult to endure, especially for those unprepared.

Man, you need to read Rachel Pollack and Benebell Wen before commenting about tarot.

1 hour ago, Earl Grey said:

Man, you need to read Rachel Pollack and Benebell Wen before commenting about tarot.

It must be due to his present experience of wandering around on the bottom of the great abyss with Aiwass.

Edited by ralis

There is no bottom to the Abyss, there is only escape from it.  The bottom of the Abyss is the ceiling of the World.

Edited by Mskied

19 minutes ago, Mskied said:

There is no bottom to the Abyss, there is only escape from it.  The bottom of the Abyss is the ceiling of the World.

Okay, M.C. Escher.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Mskied said:

<  Ahem >  ... and a one and a two and a ....

First there is a bottom, then there is no bottom, then there is  ....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrKRcdOPk30u2kOZrvy0I

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nungali said:

<  Ahem >  ... and a one and a two and a ....

First there is a bottom, then there is no bottom, then there is  ....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrKRcdOPk30u2kOZrvy0I

Topless and bottomless—what is this, a nude beach?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/2/2013 at 2:26 AM, RiverSnake said:

I personally say fuck that shit, if you listen to your intuition and combine that with reading books you will be fine and learn in a natural way

Just as accurate as guessing one out of sextillion combinations on a lockbox, at the very least, you would need the correct framework, paradigm, and genuine siddhi before walking on your own.
I have never seen anyone get far without a school or teacher.

Even in rare cases, if a person has exceptional talent, he would still do better to pass proper education in ancient arts rather than spend life inventing the wheel.

Or you will end up using Tarot for readings, which is just as practical as using iPhone for hitting nails into concrete.

That said, Magic is the complete spiritual path of development. It has a lot packed inside, and the downside is that it is challenging and takes a long time to learn.

Most people strive for easier systems where you do not need to use your brain and can follow the simple instructions of a blockheaded "master."

30 minutes ago, helpfuldemon said:

Qabalah and the journey of the Tarot is about discovering the Bliss of discerning between Good and Evil.

(My highlight)

You present your own opinions as facts. 

Edited by Cobie

Sign in to follow this