Unseen_Abilities

Is there such thing as a "life purpose" outside of the one we create for ourselves?

I think that to untangle ourselves is our purpose. How many lifetimes that takes? Who knows?

I think that the purpose, whatever that is, is uncovered rather than discovered. Once we are capable of tapping into the flow of the Tao by developing the straightness of character (not referring to "being good" here) life starts to unfold for us in a different way.

In any event, it is when we develop the ability to tap into the underlying current of the Tao that we find that life sort of leads us around where it wants us.. And I think it's a question of timing too - the timing in one's life has to be appropriate. I'm not sure that one who is pushing advancement in money or prestige, if it's that time of his life, is going to understand all aspects of the Tao - not until the time is right and the perceived needs have lessened.

I think it's incumbent upon us to do the footwork first; to do the work to straighten our character, to lose the attachments we need to lose to be in the state of Oneness.

• Like 1

'Purpose' is for tools, for artifacts constructed by specific beings to fulfill specific ends. It is a utilitarian concept. Purpose refers to means that achieve ends outside of themselves.

Living beings do not have purpose. They are ends in themselves.

SInce human beings are free, we are free to make ourselves tools if we want. If being an instrument of an exterior end is your thing, then by all means become an existential chisel.

8)

I wish only to be content with my being and forever pursue it, ungraspable.

I would not waste my typing skills with this innane and ridiculous retort if i could have maintained contentedness just a day longer.

Quietness of mind escapes me today.

Come to think of it: what the fuck dude?

WHO in the craziness of it all has any reason to create something that has no purpose?

EVEN ART has a purpose!

WHAT does humanity serve? There is no reason to make something that exists purely for the sake of existing, and i want no part in it.

Edited by Northern Avid Judo Ant

There is no reason to make something that exists purely for the sake of existing, and i want no part in it.

Constructed things are given a purpose by the intention of their creator. Once this purpose is fulfilled, the created thing is no longer necessary. The fulfillment or not of a created thing's purpose is an objective measure of its value, whether it is good or poor. The poor thing is annihilated because it is useless; the good thing is annihilated because it perfectly fulfills itself and is no longer needed.

True existence is a presence of neither fulfillment nor negation.

Perhaps true art is a pure spontaneous act and not a product at all!

8)

• Like 1

Constructed things are given a purpose by the intention of their creator. Once this purpose is fulfilled, the created thing is no longer necessary. The fulfillment or not of a created thing's purpose is an objective measure of its value, whether it is good or poor. The poor thing is annihilated because it is useless; the good thing is annihilated because it perfectly fulfills itself and is no longer needed.

True existence is a presence of neither fulfillment nor negation.

Perhaps true art is a pure spontaneous act and not a product at all!

8)

So maybe God is our creator and he has a purpose for us to fulfill? Or we came from nothing, and are here just to BE?

It makes sense to me that we have a soul purpose, for example if we die we may not be happy with what we have done with our lives so we may wish to come back to try make amends, but then we forget why we came.

In the Fourth Way teachings they say man is the nerve endings of the earth and its sacred duty is to help bring down the heavenly energy and a certain vibration to connect heaven and earth to enable the continuing evolution and life of this particular solar system.

once doubt of spirit is completely removed fear and its brothers no longer act as master

If the theory holds true, our observer-conscious-self is the only truth, everything else, our bodies, our thoughts, our ideas, our feelings, our environments, our world(s), are composed of lies and each is individually self-contained, with the "blueprint" for its construction, deconstruction, stasis, and interactivity stored in each "piece" of the "thing".

Knowing this doesnt actually change much, but it is SO fun to think about.

SOMEtimes, it's good enough to stave off a terrible day, other days, the lies win and the observer just watches.

My take is the observer is also helpful in understanding which thoughts and activities are beneficial to you and which are not.

Purpose is a matter of perspective

Does the blade of grass outside my door have a purpose?

Could it be to be tread upon ?

Could it be to hold down dirt ?

could it be to provide me oxygen?

could it be to perpetuate the species ?

could it be to feed a grasshopper ?

Could it have no purpose and just be self fulfilling ?

If a person is helped to answer the ultimate question of 'What do I do now?'

by adopting a purpose great , if they can pat themselves on the back that they fulfilled such a purpose

fine . If they are in conflict about the purpose they get assigned , or are self assigned ,because they cant meet up to it,

, not so fine.

I'm yet to come reach an answer to this question, but if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Sentient beings are nothing more than nexuses of ignorance.

"Ultimately, Nirvana truly realized is Samsara properly understood." if you are of a Buddhist bent...

There is no illusion per-se but there is perception that mistakes what it sees, so light-en the hell up and enjoy all that changes yet is connected to the changeless.

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1