Apech

How hard are you? :)

This is not directed at anyone but its interesting how people pride themselves on different things one of them is having a worse life than others/being violent..its like theyve got nothing to be proud of except something that is not really something to be proud of..maybe it indicates strength or does it.

This is not about being proud of having had a hard life. This is about having preserved and even improved on your humanity in the midst of a hard life, something that is the ultimate human accomplishment. The one and only thing to be proud of. The only one.

• Like 6

Call me a hero worshiper or whatever - but I think Chunyi Lin is qualifies as as being "hard". Grew up during the cultural revolution where he was separated from his family - was abused and had guns pointed at him. Worked 16 hour days as a slave for 7 years after highschool. During this time he risked his life catching poisonous snakes to sell - just so he could buy food and not starve to death.

• Like 1

This is not about being proud of having had a hard life. This is about having preserved and even improved on your humanity in the midst of a hard life, something that is the ultimate human accomplishment. The one and only thing to be proud of. The only one.

Excellent point TM. Really that place I used to live in the video there were some great people living there. Especially older people who put up with everything without complaining. I learned a lot from living there but was glad to leave. really I'm a big, big softy and no mistake. LOL. respect to all those who have lived through real hardship. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

• Like 2

Edited by sinansencer
  • Like 2

Call me a hero worshiper or whatever - but I think Chunyi Lin is qualifies as as being "hard". Grew up during the cultural revolution where he was separated from his family - was abused and had guns pointed at him. Worked 16 hour days as a slave for 7 years after highschool. During this time he risked his life catching poisonous snakes to sell - just so he could buy food and not starve to death.

I heard he would spend three hours a day in horse stance and he spent 49 days in full lotus in the dark without food or water, thats pretty tough too imo

• Like 2

Edited by sinansencer

Focuses the mind wonderfully does being shot at by folk who would rather you were dead than alive.

Happened to my Grandad in WW1 , happened to my Dad in Kenya, happened to me in Ireland, happened to both my lads out in Iraq

Doesn't make you hard, just very very vigilant and incredibly loose bowelled.

Marx was it who said that a bayonet is a weapon with a working class lad at either end of it?

• Like 2

Edited by sinansencer

I'm probably luckier and fortunate then I am hard. Grew up in Chicago in a relatively white bread area and despite being in the city. It was a rather suburban setting. Went to public schools, they had a chance to be rough but I fell in with a secure nerdy group. Feeling particularly non tough, I studied karate in high school, Taekwondo because it was the only convenient offering in college, then a decade plus of Aikido.

No particular talent in martial arts other then showing up, but enough time on the mat and you get some skills and a decent mindset. I worked in a rougher part of Chicago, the Pilsen area. My dad had been robbed at gun point a few times there, so had my grandfather. I was always lucky, somehow never a target.

Too often I shy away from hard, and thats hurt me. Maybe the fastest way to growth is under stress, or at least following a rythym of stress then relaxation and I take the easy way too often, particularly of late. Maybe I can change that in the coming year. Add some stress, eat more bitter.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger"

Meh, what hasn't killed me (so far) has made me more prone to anxiety, depression, social awkwardness and withdrawal than I'm guessing I would have been otherwise. It has certainly made me stronger in some areas (also areas supported by outer context, some even rewarded) but I reckon there's some development required on some of the other stuff:-)

I'm a gnarly tree.

• Like 5

I heard he would spend three hours a day in horse stance and he spent 49 days in full lotus in the dark without food or water, thats pretty tough too imo

Yeah the whole cave meditation in full lotus is beyond my comprehension....That's crazy shit.

• Like 1

Focuses the mind wonderfully does being shot at by folk who would rather you were dead than alive.

Happened to my Grandad in WW1 , happened to my Dad in Kenya, happened to me in Ireland, happened to both my lads out in Iraq

Doesn't make you hard, just very very vigilant and incredibly loose bowelled.

Marx was it who said that a bayonet is a weapon with a working class lad at either end of it?

Oh yeah!! haha~ I forgot too mention that too …I once heard reports and saw the tufts of dirt poof by having been fired upon— YEEHAAWWW!! I had a train-track embankment to duck behind and ran bent low at the waist for about a half mile. I knew where he was coming from (in more ways than one)… hehe— that's life.