skydog

Approval seeking and Wu wei

Huh, page 14, I was wondering when Godwin's law would become involved.

Godwin’s Law is an internet adage that is derived from one of the earliest bits of Usenet wisdoms, which goes “if you mention Adolf Hitler or Nazis within a discussion thread, you’ve automatically ended whatever discussion you were taking part in.”

The parties involved seem to be getting too personal and too distracted from the subject imo.

Too bad there have been some good ideas on this thread. I like the philosophy how Wu Wei should be seen less as non-action and more in terms on non karmic attachment. As always these terms are slippery as an eel.

Godwin’s Law is an internet adage that is derived from one of the earliest bits of Usenet wisdoms, which goes “if you mention Adolf Hitler or Nazis within a discussion thread, you’ve automatically ended whatever discussion you were taking part in.”

The parties involved seem to be getting too personal and too distracted from the subject imo.

Too bad there have been some good ideas on this thread. I like the philosophy how Wu Wei should be seen less as non-action and more in terms on non karmic attachment. As always these terms are slippery as an eel.

Actually, I have learnt the meaning of Wei-Wu-Wei (the action that does not create karma) when I was interested in Taoism during Taoist discussions. So it is not my idea. I just gave the Islamic example which I noticed after being interested in Islam in order to support this view from another culture. However, it is not easy to change the views of people who have memorized something from books or internet and constantly repeating the same thing like a parrot.

Edited by winniepooh_ank

Unfortunately for you this does constitute a personal attack, and I have seen fit to report it. Good day.

Oh really? I am so scared? Do you have honour? Be a man to defend your own word

Edited by winniepooh_ank

winniepooh_ank, in response to complaints about your posting here: please now desist from this path of seeking to perpetuate a discussion with a member who has clearly chosen to leave discussion with you.

Personal provocation from you and lack of civility has been logged in the moderators area. Continuing in such a mode will result in your account being suspended.

Keep it friendly. :)

on behalf of mod team.

Would you say- people who are chronic worriers and plotters are furthest from Wu Wei and those who might or might not take action and 'let the universe decide' are closer to Wu Wei?

Moving closer to Godwin's law, could we say Wu Wei operates without regard to virtue?

Edited by thelerner

Well you live and earn. I never heard of Godwin's law until just now. Laws are designed to be broken.

Hence this attempt at refutation....

The character Wei can also be taken as 'to govern' I believe.

Hence to act within the principle of Wu Wei might be said to be thinking and speaking without the ego 'governing us'.

Mightn't it?

Metaphor being [i pinched this from a Nei Gong book].......

Throwing a pebble into a pool but NO RIPPLES appear on the pool's surface as a result of that act.

Metaphor being [i pinched this from a Nei Gong book].......

Throwing a pebble into a pool but NO RIPPLES appear on the pool's surface as a result of that act.

When a pebble falls into a pond, there are ripples, eventually they disperse, and come again.

That is Dao...

When ripples occur in mind, the ripples are there, and disperse, and return, that is also Dao.

Bu Diu, Bu Ding

winniepooh_ank, in response to complaints about your posting here: please now desist from this path of seeking to perpetuate a discussion with a member who has clearly chosen to leave discussion with you.

Personal provocation from you and lack of civility has been logged in the moderators area. Continuing in such a mode will result in your account being suspended.

Keep it friendly. :)

on behalf of mod team.

Dear Cat,

Viator has called me silly in post no 201

It is silly to talk about sin in the same context as talking about karma.

Definition of SILLY

1archaic : helpless, weak

2a : rustic, plain

b obsolete : lowly in station : humble

a : weak in intellect : foolish

b : exhibiting or indicative of a lack of common sense or sound judgment <a very silly mistake>

c : trifling, frivolous

: being stunned or dazed <scared silly> <knocked me silly>

— sil·li·ly adverb

— sil·li·ness noun

— silly noun or adverb

See silly defined for English-language learners »

See silly defined for kids »

Examples of SILLY

I hope I didn't make any silly mistakes.

The idea does seem a bit silly.

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

You drove in this weather? What a silly thing to do!

Silly me. I locked myself out of the car again.

Ask a silly question, and you get a silly answer.

“I can't ask you to do that.” “Don't be silly. It is my pleasure.”

What a silly little purse. It looks too small to hold everything that I'd need to carry.

I'm tired of watching silly movies.

The book was a silly waste of time.

I warned Viator not make insults in post 204

Sir,

I hope there is an insult policy of this forum. Please watch your mouth and do not call any body as "silly" I am defending that karma and sin are inter related. You disagree? Fine! But you do not have the right to say an insult. If you are a civilized man of course.

Viator insisted that my action is silly in post 210.

I have to call into question your comprehension of what I said. If you will kindly take the time to read more carefully you will notice that I indicated that talking about two completely unrelated ideas as though they were linked was a silly action. I made no reference to you in any way, so I am not clear on how you would take this as a form of personal insult. If you honestly take personal offense to what I have said I strongly suggest you use the report function for my post and allow a moderator to review the content.

I did not report it as an insult in the first hand and mentioned it in post 211:

You have made a personal insult and you are not brave enough either to defend it or to accept it and apologize. Thus, this incident is not worth reporting.

This time, Viator decided that I made an insult and said he would report me in post 214

Unfortunately for you this does constitute a personal attack, and I have seen fit to report it. Good day.

Then I also reported his insult.

Then, in the name of moderators you made the above mentioned post.

First of all, as moderators, you have to be just. I am insulted by Viator and you have to defend me because I am the victim, he is the aggressor, not vice versa. You mentioned nothing about Viator's calling me "silly". So, according to you, Viator has the right to call me silly but I do not have the right to defend myself. Hey moderator team, be just, obey justice.

I do not want any form of discussion with Viator too. So your above sentence is unnecessary.

I did not provoke anybody and did not show any lack of civility. If you are accusing me, prove it.

Show examples.

Continuing in such a mode will result in your account being suspended.

If the moderators are unjust like this, I will not stay on the forum. Go ahead, make my day.

Keep it friendly.

Dear Cat,

In order to be friendly, you have to like that person. Nobody has to like each other, you can not force anybody to like or to love somebody else. But everybody has to show respect. Respect has ultimate importance.

Do I have to like Viator? No!

Does Viator have to like me? No!

Do we both have to show respect to each other? Definitely yes!

Edited by winniepooh_ank

Dear Thelerner,

Actually I would have stated Genghis Khan or Stalin, but I thought Adolf Hitler will be a better example for Westerners. I am curious if Godwin's Law still applies or not, if I mentioned Genghis Khan or Stalin?

Thanking in advance,

According to Dictionary.com

Silly

sil·ly

   [sil-ee] Show IPA adjective, sil·li·er, sil·li·est, noun, plural sil·lies.

adjective

1. weak-minded or lacking good sense; stupid or foolish: a silly writer.

2. absurd; ridiculous; irrational: a silly idea.

3. stunned; dazed: He knocked me silly.

4. Cricket . (of a fielder or the fielder's playing position) extremely close to the batsman's wicket: silly mid off.

5. Archaic . rustic; plain; homely.

Note that not all definitions of the word silly are comments about persons. It can also comment about IDEAS.

And here's one thing TTB Mods will never do - censor commentary about ideas.

I think Damo Mitchell makes a valid point. Using previous posts as an example only and not to critiqu any party. IF someone is offended by a poster they can choose whether or not to complain [make ripples]. Choosing not to do so may be closer to Wu Wei than choosing to do so. That dynamic inaction may well encourage the pebble thrower to desist from throwing pebbles due to the lack of response to their [wasted?] effort.

Looking at Wu We another way and purely subjectively as a TaiChi player of little skill but a QiGong teacher for many years....there are times in cultivation when it all just comes together almost effortlessly. Hard to describe in words but many will know what I mean. That to me is to 'be in' Wu Wei. A sort of knowing about it that somehow dissolves when one tries to describe it afterwards.

There are times throughout this year,

Sometimes I managed to be un-mindful.

Being un-mindful managed to get me stuck on certain things

other than the task at hand.

Such as driving, I was playing attention to the ferrari other than the road.

Such as eating, I was wanting to taste the soup so fast that I burnt my tongue.

And many other times that I spent time doing things that I am not suppose to be doing

and not doing things that I suppose to be doing.

Regaining my mindfulness, I have some kind of mantra that I used in these kind of situation.

It goes something like this... "This is silly, lets move on."

So every time, I realize myself and comes to be. I realize "This is silly, lets move on."

I also realize that using the word "Silly" on myself doesn't really brings me any emotion but "mindfulness".

Later I come to realize that the word "Silly" also have the same effect when others used it on me.

When anyone called me "Silly", I used to become so angry. But then...

I realized that "This is silly, lets move on."

So I normally thanks for people for pointing out that I am silly in the same way that I am cheerful that I realized my own "silliness".

I still call myself "Silly" from time to time.

It's just a word, any meaning is my own.

Take care now,

:)

We call those 'senior moments'.

I sometimes find myself in a room of the house having completely forgotten what I went into the room to get.

Recently had in one hand socks for laundry basket and yesterday's newspaper for recycling bin in the other hand.

Paper went into laundry basket before socks almost went into bin.

Happily university teachers of my age are called eccentric rather than senile.

;-)

Thank you, Serene, for pointing this out. There are important distinctions between the two.

We call those 'senior moments'.

;-)

To elaborate more on that.

I'd notice that Wu Wei is quite a naturally state for some.

Particularly in elders and toddlers or children.

They do as in simply do...

According to Dictionary.com

Silly

sil·ly

   [sil-ee] Show IPA adjective, sil·li·er, sil·li·est, noun, plural sil·lies.

adjective

1. weak-minded or lacking good sense; stupid or foolish: a silly writer.

2. absurd; ridiculous; irrational: a silly idea.

3. stunned; dazed: He knocked me silly.

4. Cricket . (of a fielder or the fielder's playing position) extremely close to the batsman's wicket: silly mid off.

5. Archaic . rustic; plain; homely.

Note that not all definitions of the word silly are comments about persons. It can also comment about IDEAS.

An interesting comment.

First of all, ideas are formed by people. I have never seen an idea out of vacuum.

Either a physical person or an astral being, all the thoughts, ideas are formed by somebody. In astral realms, all the thoughts turn into astral matter. So ideas are important. I am sorry but I will be offended if you say my idea is silly.

Secondly, if just the opposite happened, if I had called one of Viator's ideas as silly, I am sure nobody would have defended me and I would have been kicked out of this forum instantaneously. Look at the situation, I am accused although I am right.

Dear SereneBlue, please answer honestly, would you defend me in the exactly same position? I do not think so. I am sensing a serious double standard here. I hope I am wrong. I was interested in Taoism until 2008 (and I have no idea about the meaning of the term Taoist in a non Chinese society, so I say I was interested in Taoism instead of saying I was a Taoist) Now I am defending Islamic and spiritual ideas in the forum about Wei-Wu-Wei.

Please understand me, I am sensing the hostile feelings of people because I am telling completely strange ideas to them.

I can not let anybody to insult me, otherwise it will be a habit very rapidly. And also, my English is at primary school level as vocabulary. I can not express my ideas 100 % because of this.

Best Regards,

Edited by winniepooh_ank