skydog

Approval seeking and Wu wei

My solution is to look at the paradigms of behavior we have picked up

and personally assess as adults , which of them are doing us good

and which of them are bad paradigms learned too well.

Like approval seeking

Stosh

Have a nice weekend :)

Nice response Stosh.

You have a great weekend too.

Stosh,

The issue with the decision making... didn't seem to bother you when you presented the notion of virtue... its something similar with the notion of 'to do what needs be done'...

...note that this is quite different from the subjective notion of "to do what someone 'think' needs be done"... of course 'think' could be 'feels' 'wants' 'believes' 'considers' 'determines' ...

To do what needs to be done , from the word "need" still stipulates subjective opinion .

If you want to pretend you dont think in wu wei go right ahead and pretend that.

Stosh

Stosh

To guarantee that societies and individuals will always come to the same exact collective assessments of what constitutes good ... I use a nifty 'objective' little assessment filter tool to determine what ought to become law or common morality... is 'it' sustainable-desirable-congruent with life ways... The truth passes the test... lies do not pass the test. Healthy ways pass the test... 'vices' to not pass the test... I say that a single voice of truth should suffice to constrain and bind the slanderous deceitful ways... those who are right have the right and duty to constrain those who aren't... Note again how this last statement is an objective one and is quite different from the subjective notion of " those who 'think' they are right"... of course 'think' could be 'feel that' 'desire that' 'believe that' 'consider that' 'determine that' ... Of course the crux of the matter involves determining absolutely who actually happens to be right...

There is no right or wrong that is not subjective opinion ,

There are no such things as right and duty that are not subjective opinion

You are pointing at a reasonable arbiter of virtue though , in that virtue would be in

sustainable life ways.

But the reason why folks lie , have anger, hate, forget things, and have vices.

is because there is adaptive advantage in having those traits.

That is fodder for many threads, and I figure you disagree enough on that

to require long discussions.

We can do that when it arises , but this was about approval seeking and wu wei

so we should probably let that discussion resume , Yes?

Stosh

... but this was about approval seeking and wu wei

so we should probably let that discussion resume , Yes?

Stosh

Good idea. And besides all that other stuff, in the pure state of wu wei there is only the objective reality - "What is" - without subjective valuations or judgements. (Should I say "Beyond good and evil"?)

Edited by Marblehead

Good idea. And besides all that other stuff, in the pure state of wu wei there is only the objective reality - "What is" - without subjective valuations or judgements. (Should I say "Beyond good and evil"?)

Im not even sure there is a "state of wu wei" that a person can be in.

Right now Im thinking that wu wei clearly looked at , is just a term used in a

much longer discussion on virtues , and is used as a general label for

behaviors that are consistant with the description.

I use the term too , but I dont think its some altered state of awareness.

But suspending that issue for the time being , yes the term 'beyond good and evil'

seems an appropriate one (although I have not read the book.)

Making value judgements generally doesnt lead to dispassion

Dispassion helps a person find acceptance

And If there is a wu wei state its going to lie in acceptance

just as Gotama B. suggested ...

We tend to make ourselves unhappy and dissatisfied

the remedy , is to stop doing that.

:)

Stosh

"state of wu wei"

I use the term too , but I dont think its some altered state of awareness.

Stosh

I view that as a heightened state of supra awareness, or actually beyond that heightened state of supra awareness.

In which without effort, or going with the flow, penetration is made to the heart of the problem.

I know I wrote below long long time ago.

And flogged it about a few times now, even if in different thread altogether.

But I have no reason to changed my mind on what I wrote long time ago.

And little to add on what I wrote then.

Taoism - Some thoughts on Wu Wei

http://www.shanlung.com/oldwuwei.html

Just your Taoistic Idiot

aka

Shanlung

山 龍

Mountain Dragon

http://shanlung.com/

In a way I see we are continuing the dialogue about approval seeking and wu wei... Its a bit subtle so lets make it a bit more obvious... Each side puts forth notions and beliefs to be considered and cultivated ( a form of validation). Each side stands firm on what they hold while seeking to invite and convince others of the virtue they hold... while at the same time discrediting the others stand... I known for a long time that my position is vehemently rejected because this position invalidates the invalid and validated the valid... this position does not validate other positions as wright when the other position are wrong... Hope you see the approval seeking component here...

I stated "Of course the crux of the matter involves determining absolutely who(what) actually happens to be right..."

You stated "There is no right or wrong that is not subjective opinion ,"the crux of the matter involves determining absolutely who(what) actually happens to be right..."... I realize that sometimes its irrelevant who and what happens to be right especially when the crux of the matter centers on cultivating other stuff. You figured right... on the notion of what is advantageous there is enough to dialogue quite a bit...

Yeah I suppose one could call it validation, but if the intent is really just to spread what we see as true

rather than base our esteem of our beliefs of ourselves on the response , validation is just a possible

outcome of the discussion. Both of us have views which differ from standard so the liklihood of validation

is remote relative to the dissent we are much more likely to see.

Discrediting the other side can take two forms , one is to undermine even what is true in order to "win"

the other is just to respond against what we consider untrue. Lets hope that we dont get confused and

do the first form.

I may have not spoken well , the right and wrong that I was referring to is emotionally based judgement about what

behaviors are to be encouraged or promoted or justified.

There is also incorrect and correct which arent very subjective but do get mixed up with right and wrong.

Stosh

I view that as a heightened state of supra awareness, or actually beyond that heightened state of supra awareness.

In which without effort, or going with the flow, penetration is made to the heart of the problem.

I know I wrote below long long time ago.

And flogged it about a few times now, even if in different thread altogether.

But I have no reason to changed my mind on what I wrote long time ago.

And little to add on what I wrote then.

Taoism - Some thoughts on Wu Wei

http://www.shanlung.com/oldwuwei.html

Just your Taoistic Idiot

aka

Shanlung

山 龍

Mountain Dragon

Interesting , Ill have to re read it after work

How do you think it might apply to approval seeking ?

Stosh

Interesting , Ill have to re read it after work

How do you think it might apply to approval seeking ?

Stosh

That was on "state of wu wei"

What about approval seeking?

I have not the faintest clue.

Just living of life is tough enough. Living life to please people and to seek their approval

is far too difficult for me. And why in the world will one need to seek their approval?

They never seek my approval to do their things. Surely the converse must be true in that I can, and should do things

without the need of their approval.

Idiotic Walker lurching and reeling on the Path

aka

Shanlung

山 龍

Mountain Dragon

And If there is a wu wei state its going to lie in acceptance

Okay, I must confess, I have a problem with this (acceptance). There have been people in my life who have done things that directly effected me that I simply could not accept. Acceptance is not one of my virtues.

Okay, I must confess, I have a problem with this (acceptance). There have been people in my life who have done things that directly affected me ,that I simply could not accept. Acceptance is not one of my virtues.

Mine either

But its something I feel that the Taoist philosophy teaches-offers

So it makes more sense for me to pay attention to this thing that doesnt come easy

than it would to pay attention to something I had in abundance.

Im sure youve heard of spirit guides in North american indian culture ..

What Ive read on that, was the spirit guide wasnt supposed to be a characterization

of what you were already were prone to,,, but it was a lesson-teacher for those

areas where one came up wanting.

Also during a persons life , a person might have several spirit guides

from which one could learn new stuff.

( whether these things were archetypal imagery or not ,doesnt really make a difference to me)

There may just be things you or I may never accept , but to the degree one CAN

find acceptance , (at least enough to put stuff behind us) the more benefitted

we are. And please understand I am not saying either the word 'condone' or

excuse.

My personal experience is that its helped me cool my hot head,( but since that really just

falls into the realm of testimonial,,

I dont expect it would weigh much on the scales of reason.)

:) Stosh

Just living of life is tough enough. Living life to please people and to seek their approval

is far too difficult for me. And why in the world will one need to seek their approval?

They never seek my approval to do their things. Surely the converse must be true in that I can, and should do things

without the need of their approval.

Shanlung

山 龍

Mountain Dragon

Thats a well said point.

:)

Stosh

Shanlung

Mountain Dragon

"interpreting them with the perceptions of my experiences".

-- 'wu wei' (action/nonaction within the Tao) is not the means in itself. It is the end result and the process of 'knowing how to

continue' AFTER the knowing of each situation in its entirelty. The usage of our normal perceptions, while useful in understanding a situation, MUST be recognised as imprisoning us in a frame of thought precluding all other possibilities".

That would be true if our frame of through didn't allow all other possibilities... sometimes interpreting them with the right perception of experiences enables one to know what be without needing to know what isn't. When you know the truth of the matter, though you may not know the untruth of the matter you will be able to discern it as untruth of the matter based on knowing the truth of the matter...

thanks for your composition...

If you are saying that ...

I paraphrase

-without the confused and biased illusions

folks ordinarily walk around with one is better able to assess

things best - I agree with that heartily

(again)

Stosh

Edited by Stosh

Mine either

But its something I feel that the Taoist philosophy teaches-offers

:) Stosh

Yeah.

I think this might be an area where "do not harm" might apply. If an act, or even words, by another causes no harm to me or those I care about then I should be able to accept just about anything. But yes, I still have work to do here, work that will likely never be completed.

sometimes I accept the situation as the situation and move on, rather than keep caring its baggage everywhere... each one chooses what to give the people that have directly affected one... (I presume that you implied that the affectation is negative in what you said) ...

Of course. It is easy to accept nice people. It is harder to accept scum bags.

Edited by sinansencer