The Observer

Taoist Bed Chamber Arts?

Any good books you guys can recommend on Taoist techniques for love making/sexual cultivation?

Not so much a recommendation as simply passing along a Mantak Chia book:

PDF Link

Not so much a recommendation as simply passing along a Mantak Chia book:

PDF Link

Hello The Observer:

Although this book and the related teachings of Mantak Chia are very popular, I would at least avoid using the million dollar point technique and at best avoid them totally until having a strong enough background in energetic practices to be able to assess the value of these teachings. Some people were happy with these practices, others injured themselves.

Take the time to look into _the healing love_ section of this website

Best regards,

Edited by hieronimus
  • Like 2

Hello The Observer:

Although this book and the related teachings of Mantak Chia are very popular, I would at least avoid using the million dollar point technique and at best avoid them totally until having a strong enough background in energetic practices to be able to assess the value of these teachings. Some people were happy with these practices, others injured themselves.

Take the time to look into _the healing love_ section of this website

Best regards,

I would, definitely, take the advice from this wise man.....;)

I would, definitely, take the advice from this wise man.....;)

Thank you but I was just passing by when I saw the topic. The wise man here is the one_ Trunk :)_who had set up the website I mention (Alchemical Taoism).I have no practical knowledge of these things, I am a parrot on this one.

good luck friend. Experience over books would be my route, especially with this subject.

Or keep looking for a teacher.

Thank you but I was just passing by when I saw the topic. The wise man here is the one_ Trunk :)_who had set up the website I mention (Alchemical Taoism).I have no practical knowledge of these things, I am a parrot on this one.

A wise man relies on his mentality. No physical experience required......:)

Hmmm. Thanks for the links, guys. I may need more time to digest them. Anyone have any experience with Daniel Reid's material? I have my doubts about Mr. Mantak Cha's methods....

Hmmm. Thanks for the links, guys. I may need more time to digest them. Anyone have any experience with Daniel Reid's material? I have my doubts about Mr. Mantak Cha's methods....

I found Mantak Chia's stuff to be a bit too high level for most people, especially those approaching it for the first time without much idea about how to let things be when trying to make things happen. It's kind of like putting a helicopter gun in the hands of someone looking to try a little target practice.

Daniel Reid's stuff is more well rounded imo, as he covers both the laymen practices for general health and goes into more of the history and original records type stuff, plus the exercises he has in the other chapters are helpful. He deals more with health though, whereas Chia goes way way way beyond.

It may depend what you're looking to gain too though. I suggest at least to start with Reid's stuff and if you want to go further then Chia's stuff is good to at least to have access to. For Chia's stuff though, your partner really needs to have the same goals in order to experience the later 2\3 of it, if they are even possible without lots of prior yogic experience.. Good luck though!

• Like 1

Daniel Reid has written a book with the title:

A Complete Guide to Chi-Gung

ISBN 1-57062-337-6

ISBN 1-57062-543-3(pbk).

IMO It is the best book has ever been written by a westerner.

ISBN 1-57062-337-6

ISBN 1-57062-543-3(pbk).

Does he write about bed chamber arts in there as well?

Here is my experience, fwiw. Your mileage may vary (YMMV). I have strong opinions on the topic and if I have written poorly and offended anyone I apologize here at the start. That is not my goal, and my intention to be slightly humorous doesn't always work.

There are, imho, several kinds of books.

The first kind are introductory / overview - are like Stephen Chang’s – the Great Tao or the Tao of Sexology. They explain the medieval Chinese / TCM perspective on sex, talk about sex as a potential therapeutic, discuss the importance of controlling ejaculation for the male, probably talk about thrusting patterns, positions. To the extent that they are teaching techniques (qigong) for moving/controlling sexual energy, they are teaching you the male and female deer exercises, and possibly breast massage. Dr Chang’s books – out of print and usually available inexpensively second hand – are the ones I recommend from this group. I haven't looked at Daniel Reid’s book(s) in a couple of years.

Some of the introductory/overview books are more about “set and setting”: mood, attitude, positions – and not some much about TCM and qigong. For example, Jolan Chang’s books or any book translated from Japanese. Lots of them have nice Japanese or Chinese erotic drawings.

Some books are more about ‘my personal training odyssey – interesting story but not many or any practicable techniques: Chian Zettersan’s book and The Green Dragon / White Tigress books fall into this category. And then there are a number of what you might call the “buy this massage book cause you hope it will get you laid” books. Some of the massage techniques really work, but I doubt they will get you laid. <smile>

The second kind are ‘here are specific qigong techniques to deal with sexual energy.’ These are not introductory books – they assume you know A LOT about qigong and energy. Mantak Chia’s two original books: Healing Love through the Tao, and Taoist Secrets of Love are very detailed – probably overly – and assume you have already opened your microcosmic orbit. If you have not and you do these practices you are “borrowing trouble.” The other really informative book is Volume 2 of The Essence of Internal Martial Arts by Jerry Alan Johnson – which is largely written for males. I really like Dr. Johnson’s book – much simpler and clearer explanations than Chia’s – you might try using it if you have a solid background / foundation in qigong. The techniques are quite similar. I am hoping there are other books of this type, but I haven’t found them yet.

The third kind are “advanced alchemical texts” – Douglas Wile’s incredible book for people who have some degree of skill already and a lot of background. Beyond that there are the usual imprenetrable translations of encoded medieval Chinese texts – for example anything translated by Thomas Cleary or Eva Wong. [these are usually amazing books, but if you are at the point where you can practice with or from those books, you already know everything about them and do you teach?]

There are, of course, many books I haven’t read. And Bruce Frantzis has a book coming out this winter.

I don’t recommend any book with the word “multi-orgasmic” in the title. They are, imho, more about sex and relationships and less about Taoism. They have some good stuff in them, they do not teach you the complete techniques in the two healing love books, and imho they skimp on the safety precautions.

I strongly agree with the posts about Do Not Use the Million Dollar Point. What you are doing is "deliberately causing a traffic jam on the highway during rush hour." That is too risky for me and my plumbing. YMMV.

I hope the Alchemical Taoism site comes back from the void soon. It has a really good perspective. I also recommend Michael Winn’s excellent essay The Quest for Spiritual Orgasm. Michael is one of Mantak Chia’s senior students and has studied extensively with other teachers and studied traditions outside of Taoism.

• Like 2

ISBN 1-57062-337-6

ISBN 1-57062-543-3(pbk).

Does he write about bed chamber arts in there as well?

He does has a section on "Working with Sexual Energy" but not very extensive. He did mention "Solo Cultivation which involves sexual self-massage including specific exercises which covered extensively in his previous book The Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing. While the Dual Cultivation with a partner was presented in detail in The Tao of Health, Sex and Longevity.

This is an incredible book, but not for the beginner. IMHO

I kind of second that. Reading it right now. The introduction is absolutely amazing in my opinion. It really helps to put everything into perspective.That's why I actually think that the book, or at least the introduction, might be very useful for beginners. But not in terms of extracting any practical methods, but just to get a good overview and be able to contextualize the other sexual literature. The introduction also contains a discussion about Chia's and Chang's book, which I found very valuable. It is however, a rather scholarly book, so be aware of that.

Your partner should be an integral part of your sexual cultivation. If he/she is not on board or unaware of what you are doing, little advancement can occur. Dual cultivation is the highest form of the bedroom arts with both partners helping each other in their spiritual growth.

One book that is highly recommended for use as a couple is Beyond Tantra: Healing Through Taoist Sex -

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Tantra-Healing-Through-Taoist/dp/1844090639

Your partner should be an integral part of your sexual cultivation. If he/she is not on board or unaware of what you are doing, little advancement can occur. Dual cultivation is the highest form of the bedroom arts with both partners helping each other in their spiritual growth.

One book that is highly recommended for use as a couple is Beyond Tantra: Healing Through Taoist Sex -

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/1844090639

I completely agree. I would almost say your partner "must" be part of your cultivation - even if they are non-practicing they must be fairly enthusiastic about supporting your practice, and must participate in energy balancing (such as running figure 8s) between the two of you.

I also recommend the book - its a very honest story of how two people did it - he made many of the same relationship mistakes I did - wish he'd written it when I was starting out <smile>

Excellent resource.

There is some pretty amazing information in that essay.

Also I have found him to be a good instructor and extremely knowledgeable in his practice.

As previously mentioned in thread

IMO best net collection of current thought - practical advice

alchemical taoism "Website currently resting in no-form." :(

best book collecting classic texts - explains the "evolution" and different purposes of sexual practices

Art of the Bedchamber The Chinese Sexual Yoga Classics Including Women's Solo Meditation Texts

Edited by Mal Stainkey

Anybody read Sex in the Yellow Emperor’s Basic Questions: Sex, Longevity, and Medicine in Early China Jessieca Leo?

That book does look really good, Michael Winn deeply praises it:

"This book is fascinating, deep, essential reading for anyone interested in

sex as the hidden force ruling bodily and spiritual health. Adepts of Daoist

sexology, Oriental and Western doctors, sex therapists, psychologists,

energy worker; scholars, archeologists, poets, and historians of Chinese

culture or simply curious lay readers—all will feel they have been erotically

and psycho‑sexually sated.

Human culture here is a vast jigsaw puzzle, with sex as the key

piece linking cosmology, empirical and magical medicine, the popular

culture of love, its diseases and its euphoric desires, Confucian family

dynamics, bi‑sexual emperors, eunuchs, longevity qigong, and Daoist

philosophy.

I have been reading works in this field for thirty years and was

amazed at how much new Jessieca Leo had to teach me. Who would

guess that Confucius was sired during an orgiastic Spring Fertility Rite?

Her penetrating research deftly illuminates and vivifies the often inscrutable

Yellow Emperor and Mawangdui manuscripts of 2200 years ago.

This is a book you will literally take to bed.

—Michael Winn, Healing Tao USA

I would recommend everything from Alex Allman and Boddhi Avinasha. In B. Avinasha book The Tantric Path to Higher Consciousness - Jewel in the Lotus has described one particular breathing that helped me a lot.

I would recommend everything from Alex Allman and Boddhi Avinasha. In B. Avinasha book The Tantric Path to Higher Consciousness - Jewel in the Lotus has described one particular breathing that helped me a lot.

I've read that Boddhi Avinasha was a sannyasin of Osho.

Osho's approach to tantric sex does not emphasize any need for semen retention. Is this book on the same lines?