Pietro

What everyday activities put you into a meditative state? 4 Questions.

We know meditation can be done in every moment (except, of course answering posts on TaoBums), but what everyday activities naturally bring you into a state of meditation?

How do you describe in Taoists terms this state?

What activities use to bring our ancestors into such states?

How did have effect on society?

We know meditation can be done in every moment (except, of course answering posts on TaoBums), but what everyday activities naturally bring you into a state of meditation?

Running,Meditating, and my heavy exercise days.

I guess you can count the stir frying vegetables right after running to.

Running after the first mile or half a mile I guess Im warmed up, I feel like I can go for as long as I want. I Feel great during those moments to, but I try not to over do it in the heat of the moment. Jumping from 2 miles to 10 might be great progression, but what does it matter if it's only for a couple years and not the rest of my life?

When meditating it's self explanatory although it does take me about 10 minutes (like) running, to sort of actually begin.

During a workout and after I just like the feeling lol, so it puts me in a pretty good mood.

having face to face conversations with anyone that can maintain eye contact, especially through any little uncomfortable states that come up. e.g., when a slightly longer than usual silence occurs and for a moment neither of us is quite sure exactly what to say next. for us both to just be with that fully without shifting eye contact, or going up into the mind to think "oh shit, what do we talk about now?". this creates a space for a beautiful, relational, meditative state in my experience.

not sure how to describe in taoist terms, maybe an extension of zuowang? sitting together and forgetting ourselves. :)

it feels like our ancestors probably experienced this, in a way i think it's a doorway to love, which historically even non-overtly-spiritual folks wrote endlessly about.

imo, this simple experience can have a profound impact on our relationships -> community -> society.

sean

Edited by sean
answered additional questions
  • Like 3

having face to face conversations with anyone that can maintain eye contact, especially through any little uncomfortable states that come up. e.g., when a slightly longer than usual silence occurs and for a moment neither of us is quite sure exactly what to say next. for us both to just be with that fully without shifting eye contact, or going up into the mind to think "oh shit, what do we talk about now?". this creates a space for a beautiful, relational, meditative state in my experience.

not sure how to describe in taoist terms, maybe an extension of zuowang? sitting together and forgetting ourselves. :)

it feels like our ancestors probably experienced this, in a way i think it's a doorway to love, which historically even non-overtly-spiritual folks wrote endlessly about.

imo, this simple experience can have a profound impact on our relationships -> community -> society.

sean

Hi Sean!

Wow!

Eloquent...and simply stated. :)

I definitely agree. The conversational eye contact and obvious openness of the person

you are with is a meditative state. It can be incredibly mesmerizing. I think many people are

troubled by all they read into what this "is", or "means", rather than realizing that this is whats

meant by being fully in that moment. Thank you for putting this into words .. i do believe we

need to be constantly reminded of returning to this simplest of forms, and openness.

Peace!

• Like 1

Running works great for me as well! Also cycling does the same too.

Especially running trails. My mind is required to focus on a small and simple task but my attention cannot stray or I will trip over a rock or miss proper foot placement. At the same time, my spirit feels elated and free to be out in nature and enjoying creation!!! Blissful indeed! :D

My first experience with meditation or a meditative like state was when i used to practice Tae Kwon Do.

-When i would concentrate on my technique and the movements of my body i would feel a silence within myself that i had never felt before.

-It was one of the few things i enjoyed doing during my youth. It would seem that the path was tempting me towards it.

-As a side not i would not recommend anyone practice Tae Kwon Do. It built up a lot of tension in my knees which i feel to this day and is not a practice conducive to lifelong health.

My first experiences of a meditative state was in pre-school when a kid honestly out of the goodness of their own heart, helped me in some way or another. This made me want to help others.

Throughout a day it could be something obvious that never fails like walking in the woods or swimming in the ocean,or just sitting with the sun on my face..Sometimes it is something that triggers "my personal mind-body set up"and it makes sense only to me,but brings on deeper awarness.

It has to do with change of attitude throughout the years.

For example today it was heating that I put on in the morning ,it was the greatest thing in the world ,so good and I was so thankful.

And than I had a shower and that was the second greatest thing as the water was so shooting and refreshing and opened my heart with gratefulness and I felt OK with life.

Well,it helps having a day off too today.

Also it would be getting fed up in any sort of way too(it doesent have to have a negative conotations)as than I remeber to "switch on my inner switch "and this brings on the ease and natural flow.etc..

Dont know those terms.

Will ask my Granny if I see her.

Massive effect ,we are talking embodiying awerness more fully,can you imagine if most of the society does so?It all rubs off,as we are so much product of society .It would be making everyone fell more intelligently relaxed .

edit :colour

Edited by suninmyeyes

So, by meditative state you guys means a balanced mood and state of mind that moves you effortlessly? I can totally relate with that.

What puts me out of a meditative state, most of all, is doing math or studying. Studying is like my kryptonite. I feel like I loose my own soul when I study, putting name tags on everything, trying to identify everything, I can no longer enjoy simply being a witness to creation after studying a long time. I've tried, but still need more practice to stay in a meditative state while studying hard. I need breaks every 5 minute to remind my self.

After studying for long periods of time I feel regressed.

Anyone can relate to this? How do you go about doing this? I've found that regular short physical excersize, to get the energy flowing trough you body again, helps alot. Also taking cold showers makes me feel very fresh and energized, especially when sitting down to long for studies. It gets the blood flowing more and with less effort.

Intent -- I zap into a meditative state when I want to.

But if external activities are to be considered... well, whether they will affect me meditatively also depends on intent. Some of the "props" that will do it unless I watch it (i.e. zap me into a meditative state even if I didn't intend to get into a meditative state) are

tribal, shamanic, classical Chinese music, chants, rattles, drums, bells, didgeridoo, flutes, singing bowls...

placing awareness in the eyes (what Sean described -- but applied to the whole world, "looking reality in the eyes and maintaining eye contact," so to speak);

the ocean;

driving while thinking about otherworldly beings. The lethal combo is driving while listening to classical Chinese music, thinking of aliens, and maintaining eye contact with the universe. :lol:

• Like 2

Dance! Particularly trance/authentic dance. The practice is to get on the dance floor and allow my body to move the way it wants to, without me projecting any 3rd person "how do I appear?" on it. It is simply about (yin) finding the paths of least resistance within my body, and (yang) allowing the limitations/pain to guide the dance. I have found myself drawn to "floorwork" (i.e. hand- and head-stands, break-dancing), I think because my body wants to move 360 degrees, in all possible directions, to wake up out of my old habits. Because I always let my body lead, I never get injured dancing, despite starting pretty late.

Stretching and dance are basically the same practice for me, just stretching is slower. It's always about least resistance, no forcing, delicious stretches, in which (as much as possible) my body is moving itself rather than "me" moving it. I've had fantastic health benefits from the last decade of stretching.

Partner dance is a great way of losing "me", and surrendering into the mutual dance. It's my most common experience of non-separation.

Parkour is an awesome way to make friends with my environment, experience the flow of movement, and calmly face my fears.

Riding my motorcycle, particularly lane-splitting, also allows me to face my fears, and provides a practice in which I have to be present, or else. There's no room for mind-wandering when passing between lanes of cars!

Improv comedy. I've recently started taking some classes, and it's fantastic! What a great way of surrendering the clever monkey mind, in favor of diving right in.

Staff spinning. I've been practicing with a martial arts bo for a long time (all improv, like everything else). Like parkour, it's making friends with the material world, and allowing the staff to lead the dance, rather than trying to do tricks. Also, since I spin at the beach, it teaches me to surrender the concept of being watched, and continually bring my attention back to the flow, rather than "how am I viewed"?

And lots more!

Interesting. Maybe iintent initially led me into meditational state..?

Or perhaps I am merely recapturing a certain state intentionally?

Now intent seems to be an important trigger..as well as certain habitual clues

Sitting in half lotus, closing eyes lightly, relaxing muscles

Defocusing.

An important light stirr inside my forehead and I sink through vibration into stillness

like a bowl thats been hit and left

Legs crossed is no longer imperative, it can be done on a bus..in the car..in front of the computer..on the floor..outdoors in a café, at the dinner table

btw Sean..do you continue to breathe evenly and smoothly or does your heart skip beats?

Edited by rain

Interesting. Maybe iintent initially led me into meditational state..?

Or perhaps I am merely recapturing a certain state intentionally?

Now intent seems to be an important trigger..as well as certain habitual clues

Sitting in half lotus, closing eyes lightly, relaxing muscles

Defocusing.

An important light stirr inside my forehead and I sink through vibration into stillness

like a bowl thats been hit and left

Legs crossed is no longer imperative, it can be done on a bus..in the car..in front of the computer..on the floor..outdoors in a café, at the dinner table

btw Sean..do you continue to breathe evenly and smoothly or does your heart skip beats?

Just by reading about this I get into a meditative state. Wish I could always be in one, everything seems so effortless when we are in this state of mind.

I've experienced that it can't be done with intention, but rather letting go.

You can just go into a meditative state by intention? How did you practice to get so far? What distractions(things getting you out of a meditative state) did you strugle with, in the past, the most?

Edited by Everything

doing some dishes in the sink.. there is just the doing. perfectly non dual

shoveling snow, same + opportunity to notice and dissolve any sense of ownership that tries to overlay.

splitting wood, balancing each piece just right on the stump and taking aim, love the feel of it splitting right where you intend. (more of a weekly activity)

Paying attention to my breathing.

Paying attention to what I hear.

Paying attention to what I feel.

Paying attention to what I see.

Thank you for putting this into words .. i do believe we

need to be constantly reminded of returning to this simplest of forms, and openness.

i sure need to be constantly reminded! :)

to me it's amazing how many layers to this onion there are. how many times after a layer of holding disolves i think "ahhh, wow! this is it! holy crap, i can't believe i thought i was present in that previous layer. what a joke. i was still stuck in an intellectual map of what i thought presence is. damn, how weird, how did i miss this!".

and then, sure enough, that layer dissolves. and from the new layer i have the same aha about the one i was just in. :unsure:

humbling, at least!

placing awareness in the eyes (what Sean described -- but applied to the whole world, "looking reality in the eyes and maintaining eye contact," so to speak);

yeah, this is fantastic, it's simultaneously more advanced and also a prerequisite to the relational presence with others that i was speaking. :lol:

you mean while experiencing relational presence type interactions, or just generally speaking?

come to think of it, the answer to both is that i think throughout my day to day, my breathing is just plain terrible, rife with holding patterns, obvious signs of stress, struggle, shallowness, you name it. really only in my sitting meditation practice do i typically find any decent awareness around how neurotic my breathing is.

but this is definitely something i want to bring more attention to in 2011 and on.

best,

sean

What puts me out of a meditative state, most of all, is doing math or studying. Studying is like my kryptonite. I feel like I loose my own soul when I study, putting name tags on everything, trying to identify everything, I can no longer enjoy simply being a witness to creation after studying a long time. I've tried, but still need more practice to stay in a meditative state while studying hard. I need breaks every 5 minute to remind my self.

After studying for long periods of time I feel regressed.

Anyone can relate to this? How do you go about doing this? I've found that regular short physical excersize, to get the energy flowing trough you body again, helps alot. Also taking cold showers makes me feel very fresh and energized, especially when sitting down to long for studies. It gets the blood flowing more and with less effort.

Hi Everything.

I know exactly what you mean, and this is an issue very near and dear to me. After all, many great spiritual masters were also great scholars, so studying can't be intrinsically incompatible with cultivation. But what did they know that we don't? How did they engage in scholarship without compromising their flowing with the Tao?

Hi Everything.

I know exactly what you mean, and this is an issue very near and dear to me. After all, many great spiritual masters were also great scholars, so studying can't be intrinsically incompatible with cultivation. But what did they know that we don't? How did they engage in scholarship without compromising their flowing with the Tao?

Hey, der!

Good to hear someone sharing interest in the same mystery here. I'm just so curious about this aswell. I'm not so sure.

All I can think of is that they had plenty of "play" time while educating them selves. Play as in the how all the genius of the past did it. Most scientists loose their soul on education and get stuck up with the words so much that they loose the ability to visualize and imagine like Einstein did for example. He was more of an artist.

What is our problem then... Why can't we "play" to learn. Why can't learning be more natural and less forced, less focused on "increasing knowledge?" Especially math! Becase we learn the rules like 1+1=2, but they never give us a meaning to put on these terms. The never give us the true value within our heart behind each calculation. They never allow us to practice it on something more meaningful. Like John Nash did. He gave us the mathematical proof of karma with his equilibrium theory! I say we blame the society for taking away our freedom in educating our selves. These ancients educated them selves and did not follow the current rules of schools and educators. Thats just an possibility I guess.

Well... Thats my thought of the day :lol:

• Like 1

to me it's amazing how many layers to this onion there are. how many times after a layer of holding disolves i think "ahhh, wow! this is it! holy crap, i can't believe i thought i was present in that previous layer. what a joke. i was still stuck in an intellectual map of what i thought presence is. damn, how weird, how did i miss this!".

and then, sure enough, that layer dissolves. and from the new layer i have the same aha about the one i was just in.

Amen to that!

Why can't we "play" to learn.

Yes! Being bound within a school desk for several hours a day is a formula for breaking the will of a child, not for exciting them about learning.

I consider now to be my re-education, my chance to learn again, this time through play, and I find it to be a much better teacher than duty ever was.

I worked first to master meditation through the Savanasa and Kundalini which are the passive and active forms of Mental meditation (Yin & Yang). . .

Later I discovered Visual and Location as in water and mountain tops also in the Yin & Yang categories.

I have now discovered that it was inner peace that brought the meditative state to mind. Somewhere in this one I lost the Yang and just became me.

~..~