manitou

Could someone please tell me the purpose of life?

Anger is what you do with.

Agree a 100 percent! :)

The essential energy underlying anger and joy is the same... both are fleeting. Its when they are seen as unchanging or unchangeable that avoidance and clinging arises. Its this attitude that can be worked upon and used as a little vehicle to get one further. There is a place where these energies can be utilized as one utilizes any other forms of energy, in other words, energetic displays can be a source of liberation, if they're viewed and understood correctly... in this way, one does not get tricked or blinded.

There is a valid reason behind working with wrathful deities in the higher tantric paths.

Edited by CowTao

Agree a 100 percent! :)

The essential energy underlying anger and joy is the same... both are fleeting. Its when they are seen as unchanging or unchangeable that avoidance and clinging arises. Its this attitude that can be worked upon and used as a little vehicle to get one further. There is a place where these energies can be utilized as one utilizes any other forms of energy, in other words, energetic displays can be a source of liberation, if they're viewed and understood correctly... in this way, one does not get tricked or blinded.

There is a valid reason behind working with wrathful deities in the higher tantric paths.

Thats some real quantum physics for you. ^_^

Sure, I'll don't advice it then. Perhaps you guys can think for your self aswell, I know that. Its all food for thought and this is the internet. Can we drop the avatar already? It was not insulting in any way, don't be so sensitive jeez. :P

-Did I say it was insulting?I was courious where is it coming from(as said in my post).

Your advising is fine ,this is a discussion board and I was adding mine.

Having a different opinion does not equate with thinking someone is insulting.

So, whats wrong with feeling anger?

-There is nothing wrong with feeling anger,it is perfectly normal.But it is risky to use it and invoke it as a driving force.

Particulary so,becouse it has potential to burn/damage not only person that is being angry ,but other people too if misused.

But if the anger is there already and you cant stop yourself being seduced by its flames ,than yes transmute it and make it work for you ,instead of being a slave to anger.

Peace brother!:)

edit:colour

Edited by suninmyeyes

So you are saying that when you become angry you do bad things that are not according to the way? Are you saying then when YOU become angry, the anger CONTROLS you? It came right out your fingers and you just typed that. This is obviously proof to me of how immature you are, I'm sorry, really. I don't want to judge you, I just want to show you the real way. I am not trying to brag either, I am not perfect either.

Anger is what you do with it. I for one, have never, not even once adviced anyone here to be destructive or agressive with their anger IN ANY WAY. There is no person existant on this planet that feels no anger. We all have anger. I think the proper way here is to deal with it maturely, rather then let the anger make decisions for you or "control" you.

The term WARRIOR is just a symbol. A symbol is relative to every being. Obviously, you who disagree with me, view the symbol of the warrior as a destructive tyrant who is actually closer to the symbol of the "HERO" who has no boundaries and always dies in mythology. The warrior I am talking about is one who acts out of higher commitment, knows his limits, and never acts agressively, only patiently and disciplined.

Sorry about the edit of my quote and these are just my thoughts, I'm always open to new ideas. These thoughts are not the ultimate truth and my nickname "everything" is just a symbolic name for love.

English is not my native language.

You did not read my post with any level of understanding.. you are seeking a platform from which to reveal your place in the process of Life, and.. you are either playing a game with this cartoonish dialogue, or you do not understand the process of Life at all.. and, you have no insight as to my own place in the process, so please refrain from such brash remarks about someone's character.. the annonymnity of the internet is not a valid excuse to pretend beyond your ability to 'know'..

Reread my post again, and try to engage in discussion.. forget about your own self-image, and just try to have a discussion.. for example: I posted, "anger is wasted energy, channel it's energy appropriately, as food for your awareness.." so, i'm curious as to how you understand that as different than your concept of "the proper way here is to deal with it maturely"?

Be well..

When I'm sad it always gets me happy in the end if I just encourage activity, which on it self makes me angry instead of sad. It is impossible for me to have "active sadness." It is like Rocky running up the hills and crying "I'm going to do this, yeah! :( " lol

When I'm sad it always gets me happy in the end if I just encourage activity, which on it self makes me angry instead of sad. It is impossible for me to have "active sadness." It is like Rocky running up the hills and crying "I'm going to do this, yeah! :( " lol

Everything,

It's obvious that you are a very sincere, and active person.

You were trying to help in one of the ways you are comfortable.

Thank you for being understanding that there are always other ways

of exercising our feelings of discontentment, without resorting

to anger as the motivating force.

Introspection is a greatly motivating source for myself.

We are all here to grow, and by helping each other

with our insight, and differing perspectives, we help to

round off each others "sharp" edges. For sometimes it's

alright to be a softer, more kind and gentle person.

Be like water, flow into the ocean of Tao.

Peace and understanding!

Edited by strawdog65

Everything,

It's obvious that you are a very sincere, and active person.

You were trying to help in one of the ways you are comfortable.

Thank you for being understanding that there are always other ways

of exercising our feelings of discontentment, without resorting

to anger as the motivating force.

Introspection is a greatly motivating source for myself.

We are all here to grow, and by helping each other

with our insight, and differing perspectives, we help to

round off each others "sharp" edges. For sometimes it's

alright to be a softer, more kind and gentle person.

Be like water, flow into the ocean of Tao.

Peace and understanding!

Thanks, I agree with you that being softer, more kind and gentle person is good. :)

Flow in the ocean of the tao, practicing to be like water is great!

Resorting to anger in as a motivating force is bad, very bad, indeed!

I totally agree with you.

What if anger is already there? Then what do you do. Or do you never get angry? A person I have known got beaten by his mommy and daddy and got cut off from his emotions, he never gets angry, he only gets depressed. He never gets fearful, he only gets impulsive. He sees beyond his emotions! Into the oceans of the Tao! lol, I'm pissing my pants as I write this. Sorry, but atleast I'm being honest with you. roflmao

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Edited by Everything

The purpose of life is clearly joy and happiness and freedom from suffering. This is very clear. It is so simple that it can be easily missed. Pursuit of happiness and/or elimination of suffering motivates every single action taken by any being.

That's it. Where we tend to get confused is how to accomplish this.

How to acheive this is the realm of genuine spiritual pursuit. Those of ordinary spiritual development seek their own well being and those of high spiritual development seek others'. Both are pursuing the same goal only the object changes.

Is it just to be happy?

Yes, but the devil is in the details. To be happy you must first be healthy.

To be happy you MUST first be healthy, physically, emotionally, AND mentally.

How you do that fast is the big question. Some high power Nei Kung systems can get you there in a couple of decades, but most people take about 10,000 years to do it their way.

Also, note that some of the people claiming to sell nei kung are um ... :ninja:

So that means some people who think they know and are doing nei kung are actually, um, ... :ph34r: making a mistake.

Then, to be REALLY happy you MUST cultivate the ability to achieve bliss, physicall blis, emotional bliss, and metal bliss. That also requires a (real) high power nei kung, prerequisite being super health.

Yes, the goal of life is to be happy - and most people are going about it in the exact opposite direction from the way they should be going to get there.

So just work on the health and don't concern yourself with other goals.

Edited by Starjumper7

Thanks, I agree with you that being softer, more kind and gentle person is good. :)

Flow in the ocean of the tao, practicing to be like water is great!

Resorting to anger in as a motivating force is bad, very bad, indeed!

I totally agree with you.

What if anger is already there? Then what do you do. Or do you never get angry? A person I have known got beaten by his mommy and daddy and got cut off from his emotions, he never gets angry, he only gets depressed. He never gets fearful, he only gets impulsive. He sees beyond his emotions! Into the oceans of the Tao! lol, I'm pissing my pants as I write this. Sorry, but atleast I'm being honest with you. roflmao

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hello everything.

Please read my post titled: Parents, prejudice and Hate.

I think you will see that I am far from being a perfect person in

any way. I am a person just like you, everyday is a struggle for me

to work with the issues and problems I bring with me where ever I go.

When I get angry I know one thing for certain, I don't like being angry!

I feel like I am wasting my time and energy, and I am affecting everyone

around me in a usually negative way. Uncontrolled anger is the worst

part of myself, and the only way to deal with it and change it, is

to first understand WHY you feel like you do.

You may think it's just whatever situation you are in thats made you

angry, and that's sometimes true of anger that passes easily,

but what of the anger you don't understand, the kind that lasts for

no apparent reason?

This is the anger that has a very deep seated root. And the only way to

deal with it is to find where it stems from. For me, It was my upbringing,

and the influence of my mis-guided parenting. Influences from our

youth, linger and shape us in ways that we are totally unaware of.

If you are having anger issues, and don't understand why, get counseling,

talk to friends, and loved ones, share as much of your past/youth as you

can remember. Write it down, think about it, picture faces and events.

Think of situations and influences from youth, think of something from

your youth that bothers you when you think about it. Something will rear

it's ugly head if you are patient in looking.

The answers are inside of us. We just have to delve deep and shed a

lot of tears along the way.

I am not saying to not get angry. I am not saying to cut yourself off

from your feelings. I am saying that we can choose to accept what we are

feeling without lashing out, and allow these feelings of anger and hatred to

move through us... and let them go.

Any anger we feel after the fact, is anger we have chosen to hold onto.

This isn't the only way to deal with anger and hate.

Feel what is happening, feel it till you want to cry or scream or whatever,

as long as you do not lash out and try to hurt people because of it.

You do have to feel it.

But what you DO with IT after that is up to you.

I hope this makes sense to you or anyone else, and I hope it helps.

Peace.

Hello everything.

Please read my post titled: Parents, prejudice and Hate.

I think you will see that I am far from being a perfect person in

any way. I am a person just like you, everyday is a struggle for me

to work with the issues and problems I bring with me where ever I go.

When I get angry I know one thing for certain, I don't like being angry!

I feel like I am wasting my time and energy, and I am affecting everyone

around me in a usually negative way. Uncontrolled anger is the worst

part of myself, and the only way to deal with it and change it, is

to first understand WHY you feel like you do.

You may think it's just whatever situation you are in thats made you

angry, and that's sometimes true of anger that passes easily,

but what of the anger you don't understand, the kind that lasts for

no apparent reason?

This is the anger that has a very deep seated root. And the only way to

deal with it is to find where it stems from. For me, It was my upbringing,

and the influence of my mis-guided parenting. Influences from our

youth, linger and shape us in ways that we are totally unaware of.

If you are having anger issues, and don't understand why, get counseling,

talk to friends, and loved ones, share as much of your past/youth as you

can remember. Write it down, think about it, picture faces and events.

Think of situations and influences from youth, think of something from

your youth that bothers you when you think about it. Something will rear

it's ugly head if you are patient in looking.

The answers are inside of us. We just have to delve deep and shed a

lot of tears along the way.

I am not saying to not get angry. I am not saying to cut yourself off

from your feelings. I am saying that we can choose to accept what we are

feeling without lashing out, and allow these feelings of anger and hatred to

move through us... and let them go.

Any anger we feel after the fact, is anger we have chosen to hold onto.

This isn't the only way to deal with anger and hate.

Feel what is happening, feel it till you want to cry or scream or whatever,

as long as you do not lash out and try to hurt people because of it.

You do have to feel it.

But what you DO with IT after that is up to you.

I hope this makes sense to you or anyone else, and I hope it helps.

Peace.

Great! I would also add that to take it to another level, the motivation and context within which you do the work is an important factor and can make it more effective. Like, having a clear & strong commitment for a bigger purpose... the bigger and clearer the purpose the more effective. Also, a ritual context of some kind will structure the work and wear a groove that gets stronger & stronger... ;-)

that was very brief, but i don't have a lot of time. if anyone is interested in more detail, i'll add it.... otherwise....life moves on!

Hello everything.

Please read my post....

...or anyone else, and I hope it helps.

Peace.

Big post there, thanks.

I agree with you completely, but it appears that you did not agree with me.

When a person gets depressed, what is the solution? I said: "to know why you're sad and get angry about it instead of just vaguely sad." This is always the first step to get out of depressed/sad situations. Do you think, when you're depressed, that you should cry about it, fo no reason. Just feel the emotions and let it affect your mind in all kinds of pessimistic ways?

The purpose of life is clearly joy and happiness and freedom from suffering. This is very clear. It is so simple that it can be easily missed. Pursuit of happiness and/or elimination of suffering motivates every single action taken by any being.

That's it. Where we tend to get confused is how to accomplish this.

How to acheive this is the realm of genuine spiritual pursuit. Those of ordinary spiritual development seek their own well being and those of high spiritual development seek others'. Both are pursuing the same goal only the object changes.

Happiness as the purpose of life? Freedom from suffering? Not possible. Pursuit of happiness and/or elimination of suffering motivates every single action taken by any being? Think again. These are very superficial observations that seem to be true on the surface, but clearly are not.

Love- make love, love your neighbor, love yourself

Harmonize- learn to communicate with others, make music, be at peace with yourself

Have fun- what's the point of being alive if there's no passion and joy

Enlightenment- get in touch with your spiritual self, dream,

These are only a few of the reasons why we have decided to be alive

LOL. This is hysterical, Jane. 26 years ago I met a skid row bum who was sleeping on a cold concrete sidewalk outside of a liquor store. I took him home to feed him. He's still here. He does now have comprehensive medical care and a job. I guess this question has been with me longer than I have realized.

Wow!

Happiness as the purpose of life? Freedom from suffering? Not possible. Pursuit of happiness and/or elimination of suffering motivates every single action taken by any being? Think again. These are very superficial observations that seem to be true on the surface, but clearly are not.

Happiness, freedom, succes. All three the most commonly valued things in life. Why can't these be the purpose of life? Ofcourse it is not a personal purpose that is only specific for you, but in general it is.

Happiness, freedom, succes. All three the most commonly valued things in life. Why can't these be the purpose of life? Ofcourse it is not a personal purpose that is only specific for you, but in general it is.

Uh.... not exactly. They may be goals, but they can't be the purpose of life because life itself is imbued with unhappiness, struggle, limitations, anguish and failure. Life is not only these experiences, but it has been defined as tragedy since the Greeks and defined as suffering since the Buddha first uttered the First Noble Truth, but you don't have to be a scholar to figure this out. You just have to have escaped the steady drumbeat of Sweetness and Light that is the sound of New Age Punditry.

Or, you can ask any one of the 3.5 billion people in the world who live on $2/day or less to comment on happiness, freedom, and success. I'm sure you'll get an interesting answer.

Cheers!

Love- make love, love your neighbor, love yourself

Harmonize- learn to communicate with others, make music, be at peace with yourself

Have fun- what's the point of being alive if there's no passion and joy

Enlightenment- get in touch with your spiritual self, dream,

These are only a few of the reasons why we have decided to be alive

Love your neighbor? Your tirade against Goldisheavy in the 'Highest Consort' thread could have used some of this 'loving' you have ascribed here. Call me critical, but i see you as a pretender, Phore. You owe yourself to be more truthful, and you also owe Gold an apology.

Uh.... not exactly. They may be goals, but they can't be the purpose of life because life itself is imbued with unhappiness, struggle, limitations, anguish and failure. Life is not only these experiences, but it has been defined as tragedy since the Greeks and defined as suffering since the Buddha first uttered the First Noble Truth, but you don't have to be a scholar to figure this out. You just have to have escaped the steady drumbeat of Sweetness and Light that is the sound of New Age Punditry.

Or, you can ask any one of the 3.5 billion people in the world who live on $2/day or less to comment on happiness, freedom, and success. I'm sure you'll get an interesting answer.

Cheers!

Glad to see you back, Mr Blasto. :)

How's about one asks another "What is the purpose of your life"?

How's about one answers oneself "What's the purpose of my life"?

Life is not (IMO/IME) "impersonal". Which is why IMO such a question is, um, kind of difficult to answer in an impersonal manner.

Of course, if you're enlightened and know the answer, clap your hands.

I agree it sounds nice.

Doesn't mean it's the case.

I mean, does it matter if there is no immediately grokkable purpose?

Oh, ya, i forgot, was the question only about humans, or about "life in general"? - I keep forgetting I should ask that one. I find it tough that one even needs to ask. Reckon a cat asks? Or does a seaslug ask? Why ask? I suspect one only asks if it's going "badly".

The purpose of a "badly going" life is IMO/IME to rectify itself.

I agree it sounds nice.

Doesn't mean it's the case.

I mean, does it matter if there is no immediately grokkable purpose?

Oh, ya, i forgot, was the question only about humans, or about "life in general"? - I keep forgetting I should ask that one. I find it tough that one even needs to ask. Reckon a cat asks? Or does a seaslug ask? Why ask? I suspect one only asks if it's going "badly".

The purpose of a "badly going" life is IMO/IME to rectify itself.

Are you drinking tonight Kate?

Do your fellow bums that don't grokk you the courtesy of telling them WHY you think it's not the case...

Are you drinking tonight Kate?

Do your fellow bums that don't grokk you the courtesy of telling them WHY you think it's not the case...

What makes you reckon I'm drinking? Is it because I'm in disagreement with you tonight? :) Are you drinking yourself?

By "fellow bums" - are you referring to yourself? Would I let that other fellow bums speak for themselves? I think that was the spirit of my post. I'll take your response as an individual dissent (diss) on your part although my current practice is "don't take anything personally". I've found through your post that indeed I don't take it personally. Wow. That's so cool :) Thank you! :wub:

Hopefully you "got"/"grokked" that that all I was doing was an attempt to widen the perspective of "what the purpose of life is" to somewhere just over (or under, or beside) what a person might consider it is. Just an attempt. Didn't work for you? Oh well, I guess I'll let some other folks have their own opinions.

Of course if such an attempt is met with additional contention, I'll find it harder to re-attempt later on. Is it then best to shut up in such forums? I hadn't expected such dissing from you Xeno, but then I don't know you, so I guess now I know :) No need to be concerned about my stepping on your toes.

Abdicating now :)

What makes you reckon I'm drinking? Is it because I'm in disagreement with you tonight? :) Are you drinking yourself?

By "fellow bums" - are you referring to yourself? Would I let that other fellow bums speak for themselves? I think that was the spirit of my post. I'll take your response as an individual dissent (diss) on your part although my current practice is "don't take anything personally". I've found through your post that indeed I don't take it personally. Wow. That's so cool :) Thank you! :wub:

Hopefully you "got"/"grokked" that that all I was doing was an attempt to widen the perspective of "what the purpose of life is" to somewhere just over (or under, or beside) what a person might consider it is. Just an attempt. Didn't work for you? Oh well, I guess I'll let some other folks have their own opinions.

Of course if such an attempt is met with additional contention, I'll find it harder to re-attempt later on. Is it then best to shut up in such forums? I hadn't expected such dissing from you Xeno, but then I don't know you, so I guess now I know :) No need to be concerned about my stepping on your toes.

Abdicating now :)

Yea, I meant me, not all bums...sorry I shouldn't have indicated otherwise. Please consider me grokked B)

No dissing was intended, very sorry that it was recieved so. Please understand that to be an apology and a request for forgiveness.

What I REALLY meant relative to your comment was...for one (a human being) whose Life is not "going badly" or for one (a human being) that gets their "going badly" Life rectified, if not doing what Albert posited, what?

Lotsa Love,

xeno