manitou

Could someone please tell me the purpose of life?

Google "The Purpose Of Life" by Khalid Yasin and listen to it.

Also google "A Party In Paradise A Party In Hell Fire" by Nabil Al Awadhi both lectures can be easily found and listened to.

To create... To love... To feel...

To experience limitations...

To grow... To evolve...

To overcome... To dream... To move beyond...

Suffering pushes us so far forward.

I was graced with a greater deal of suffering than most early on in life and it has made my life so wonderful.

When you look back at your beliefs and what you were 10 years ago, you can see that you are becoming so beautiful.

Refine yourself and create something so beautiful. There are no limitations.

Quiet your mind and experience what lies beyond.

So what if your life circumstances prevent you from growing, or loving, or evolving or being happy, does that mean your life is worthless?

Hey Manitou,

You struck a vein I see!

I wanted to add something to all of the other

things being said in answer to your question.

=================================================

What is the purpose of life?

=================================================

It is the smile on your face, and the happy heart,

of knowing you have done your best in this life.

It is having no regrets for the obstacles you have faced and

the Love you have shared with those fortunate to have

been in your life.

It is reaching the end of your days and knowing Love is

the most important gift you gave freely to this world,

and YOUR Love made a difference.

Peace Manitou!

Straw Dog - Your definition feels true. Perhaps the definition is best seen in retrospect. And by that measure, I feel okay. I feel like I do try to do the highest thing at any given moment. It makes me a little misty to know that I have been a person who has been possessed of wonderful artistic talents, and yet never been capable of getting it together enough to market them well. I've never been able to stay on any given course for very long, and for that my family regards me as a bit of a flake. (Actually, I'm crying a little as I write this)... When one gets to the point in life where you realize you haven't fulfilled even a fraction of the potential that is yours, it's an eye-opener. But I guess that's the purpose of all this. Perhaps it's not too very important to fulfill all the potential 'stuff', but rather to find one's feet placed on a spiritual path that embraces the very fact that I haven't been able to fill my potential.

I know very well that this is the nature of things. To come to the end of my rope in some areas, to embrace the Do-Nothing of the Tao in a deeper way. I've been embracing the Tao for 20 years, and yet the entrenching continues on...There are ways I can surrender more, to stay in the valley more, to love more, to judge less. Shit.

Greetings..

The purpose of Life is the Experience of it.. The Source, however you understand it, sets itself aside as we/us/Life so as to experience itself as itself, freely discovering the 'nature' of its own existence.. the Experience is the purpose, we/us/Life add meaning..

Be well..

When one gets to the point in life where you realize you haven't fulfilled even a fraction of the potential that is yours, it's an eye-opener. But I guess that's the purpose of all this. Perhaps it's not too very important to fulfill all the potential 'stuff', but rather to find one's feet placed on a spiritual path that embraces the very fact that I haven't been able to fill my potential.

catharsis. Ain't Tao Bums great? I'm not too good at marketing either, but who can say what role we play, or where the higher good is except by how we feel?

Big insight for me is that the ability to feel, the ability of the mind to move freely through the body and even beyond the senses, is a better focus to return to than the attraction or aversion in what is felt.

There's a lecture where the Gautamid describes each of the meditative states in turn, and each one is a greater happiness than the one before. When he gets to the cessation of volition in perception and feeling, his great attainment exceeding his two teachers, he says this has a happiness, even though that seems to contradict the detachment and equanimity necessary to attain the state. Even so, he declares, it has a happiness.

I find this in harmony with the notion of dependent causation; we are drawn on by the happiness inherent in our being, and we are hard-wired to move toward that well-being, which is the same yet different from the pleasures of the senses. Really there is no one who is drawn, but the nature of things impels beings toward happiness, and it's good to accept that...

Straw Dog - Your definition feels true. Perhaps the definition is best seen in retrospect. And by that measure, I feel okay. I feel like I do try to do the highest thing at any given moment. It makes me a little misty to know that I have been a person who has been possessed of wonderful artistic talents, and yet never been capable of getting it together enough to market them well. I've never been able to stay on any given course for very long, and for that my family regards me as a bit of a flake. (Actually, I'm crying a little as I write this)... When one gets to the point in life where you realize you haven't fulfilled even a fraction of the potential that is yours, it's an eye-opener. But I guess that's the purpose of all this. Perhaps it's not too very important to fulfill all the potential 'stuff', but rather to find one's feet placed on a spiritual path that embraces the very fact that I haven't been able to fill my potential.

I know very well that this is the nature of things. To come to the end of my rope in some areas, to embrace the Do-Nothing of the Tao in a deeper way. I've been embracing the Tao for 20 years, and yet the entrenching continues on...There are ways I can surrender more, to stay in the valley more, to love more, to judge less. Shit.

Manitou,

I see that the emotional impact of a life considered has welled

up. I know what you are feeling, not from your perspective, but my own.

I can clearly remember the unadulterated belief that at 18 I could do

anything my mind could imagine. And being a young Idealistic art student

I believed I was going to make a huge splash. Create all new genre of Art,

and wield it to my very will. Imagination has never been an issue with me...obviously.

Only after being thrust into the big wide world...and going from the big fish in

a small pond to the little fish in a huge pond in the city! Only then did even the

slightest view of the harsh reality that was the world hit me. Disillusioned with

Artistic integrity being prostituted to merely "sell" things to the media marketing

zombies of the world, I bailed out.

For many years I felt saddened that my fullest potential(to me) had never been met.

But there is a shiny silver lining to my sad tale.

I NEVER lost my passion for Art.

My artistic nature has never been trampled under foot, it remains intact.

I am thankful for this. The business world can kill the Love of something

inside of you in a very short time.

Then too, there is the Tao.

My path was meant for me... I know this because without the expectations

I placed on myself as a youth...I have lived a life with few regrets.

As a youth, I decided what I should become, what I should measure up to.

As a middle aged man...I see now that youth is poorly used on the young.

My expectations, My desires for what I thought should be...were based on what?

Not my experience in life...since I was too young to have had much at all, not

my philosophy at the time, because it was truely larval at best. My expectations

were based on childhood fantasies coddled by my friends and school teachers.

There is nothing wrong with a positive outlook as a youth...

but there is a definite lack of reality.

Manitou, I feel your hurt.

Life has become what it is meant to be.

I believe that.

If you have had a life of Love and few regrets,

Then you are the being you are meant to be right now.

You and the Tao are one.

Peace+Love+acceptance=Life

Is it just to be happy?

The purpose of life is relative.

You probably knew that already. How come you ask it anyways?

It is the age of old question of value. What do I value. Some people can have similar values. For example I say: "The purpose of life is (can be found in) space, stars, physics." Because I somehow value that most of all in my life. We all follow the children of the great mother or Tao in the hopes of ever seeing the Tao itself. Einstein had the "theory of everything/god." He just had to find the truth of the beginning of all. Later we found out the big bang was not the beginning of time, so we will not find the answers for a long time to come, maybe even never. But just look at all the progress we have made because people like Einstein were in search for god.

You say happiness? Well surely you can find the purpose of life in happiness! Why do you think people who are happy never ask "what is the purpose of life?" It is because happiness is one of the most common valued things on earth, among people, along with succes and freedom.

If you ask what the definition of life itself is, that one is relative too. So we have two relative things in your question. Life and purpose of that relative life. How about "Life is a tragedy." How is that for a definition of life. All the people who suicided had a similar definition. How about "Life is wonderful!" Surely happy people who dance on tables out of excitement say that. But what is life really? Biologists say that life is "irritable." It makes choices. If one makes no choices he moves towards depression, death, etc. If one makes destructive choices in life, he will not move forward, but his character will atleast grow. He is now more alive. If one makes constructive decisions in life? He will see durable succes+happiness+freedom. The three most commonly valued things, and durably! He is also more on the living side. The more decisions you make, the more alive you are and the more you will grow character for moving towards a better life.

So another way of asking the same question you just asked is: "What is the value of your decisions?" Thinking about what decisions you make, what they mean to you, where you're headed...

Edited by Everything

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear of your suffering. :(

May I add to my previous comment that making decisions in the past or future is another form of suffering? Stick to the present dear, if the time has come for you to focus it is now, more then ever. Focus on less limiting and more constructive believes. You will soon find the old emotions stamping your failures in your face to fade away. You're just having old habbits of negative thought, requires constant focus to change bad habbits.

You're saying it like you can't do anything about it. If I ever had obstacles in my path, I would rather die trying then cry dieing. I'm not afraid of death or its pain. When my time has come, I do not even need to say goodbyes. Keep death in mind at all times, it is the way of the samurai. You should be alot more angry then you are right now.

Why?

I too, don't see the point of anger in this situation.

What would be the point? And are you supposed to be

angry with life? Or what?

Life can be happy or sad....

But good and bad are just

Different sides of the same coin.

Into the Tao we go.

But what is life really? Biologists say that life is "irritable." It makes choices. If one makes no choices he moves towards depression, death, etc. If one makes destructive choices in life, he will not move forward, but his character will atleast grow. He is now more alive. If one makes constructive decisions in life? He will see durable succes+happiness+freedom. The three most commonly valued things, and durably! He is also more on the living side. The more decisions you make, the more alive you are and the more you will grow character for moving towards a better life.

So another way of asking the same question you just asked is: "What is the value of your decisions?" Thinking about what decisions you make, what they mean to you, where you're headed, bla bla. Your avatar looks like you don't care anyway, lol. :P

You're like "whatevah" :lol:

Or is that your natural expression? Its like the monalisa of whatevah. :huh:

A wonderful paragraph on how decisions affect aliveness. This is a delicate balance between action and non-action. Often times my decision is to Do Nothing.

And by the way, I really don't think I'm the monalisa of whatevah. It was just a picture I took while holding the camera pointed at my face while I was still in my jammies. "Whatevah" wasn't what I was thinking.

I too, don't see the point of anger in this situation.

What would be the point? And are you supposed to be

angry with life? Or what?

Life can be happy or sad....

But good and bad are just

Different sides of the same coin.

Into the Tao we go.

OH yeah, very poetic, thanks for sharing your piece of art, but she obviously is sad. And from the looks of it, I think she'd rather be on the other side of the coin right now. The living side.

You heard it from herself folks, "often my decision is to Do Nothing." She should be alot more angry, because if you just don't decide and turn your anger inwards you will become sad, depressed and eventually reverse your growth, arrest your developement. In the end, if you take it too far, you'll die.

If you are wise, you will know that we have our anger only as an indication of our needs. She cannot sit there and be sad about it. Even being destructive and agressive is better. All I did was pointing to ASSERTIVENESS, you can also be constructive with you anger. I see most of you are still hero's who still have not faced death. You need to find your own death and rise as a warrior. This is the way for centuries.

Thx kk bye

A wonderful paragraph on how decisions affect aliveness. This is a delicate balance between action and non-action. Often times my decision is to Do Nothing.

And by the way, I really don't think I'm the monalisa of whatevah. It was just a picture I took while holding the camera pointed at my face while I was still in my jammies. "Whatevah" wasn't what I was thinking.

Oh, well, your avatar is still the most noticable I've seen on these forums. ;)

I find it hard to believe that you truely decided to do nothing. There is no sadness in such a decision, there is only the commitment of doing nothing. I'm also wondering, if you truely are deciding to nothing, how you came to such a decision.

Personally? I think it is an excuse for being passive and not making decisions at all. I've used that one myself aswell, lol. Later I found my self doing something anyway. I did not really decide to do nothing afterall, hmm? :lol:

On to the next decision you go!

Edited by Everything

Not you, it was ment for manitou's comment where she was crying.

I was reading the thread back than and wasnt sure where were you coming from -as it did not sound appropriate to advice someone to be angry and calling Manitou Mona Lisa of whatevah..

Anyways most girls (at least ones I know)are not samurai or warriors.We have got different ways,maybe more like lovers of life.

I find it hard to believe that you truely decided to do nothing. There is no sadness in such a decision, there is only the commitment of doing nothing. I'm also wondering, if you truely are deciding to nothing, how you came to such a decision.

Personally? I think it is an excuse for being passive and not making decisions at all. I've used that one myself aswell, lol. Later I found my self doing something anyway. I did not really decide to do nothing afterall, hmm? :lol:

On to the next decision you go!

It's becoming apparent to me that you may not be familiar with the concept of wu-wei.

I was reading the thread back than and wasnt sure where were you coming from -as it did not sound appropriate to advice someone to be angry and calling Manitou Mona Lisa of whatevah..

Anyways most girls (at least ones I know)are not samurai or warriors.We have got different ways,maybe more like lovers of life.

Sure, I'll don't advice it then. Perhaps you guys can think for your self aswell, I know that. Its all food for thought and this is the internet. Can we drop the avatar already? It was not insulting in any way, don't be so sensitive jeez. :P

So, whats wrong with feeling anger?

It's becoming apparent to me that you may not be familiar with the concept of wu-wei.

Yeah, it teaches you to always choose the patient decisions, being indiffrent to the outcome, having something above you, commitment to something more important then the petty details of your life. I don't think it implies doing nothing or know when not to act, rather it teaches you HOW to act. Not acting is more like what people do 5 feet under. You'll have plenty of time for that when your metabolism stops. -_-

Edited by Everything

Purpose needs a mind to rationalize a reason. Life just is.

You can ponder it all day, and come up with a thousand reasons, one to fit every mood or justify any action, but in the end you are just playing tricks in your head. The tree still grows, the heart still beats, the universe still dances.

For me I just try (and I say try because the mind is tricky sometimes) to be honest and sincere in my interactions with people and things, and beyond that just live in harmony with life itself. :D

Big hugs!

Junbao, I'm with you!

Your thoughts brought a smile to my face!

I Love the positiveness of the image you present!

Thanks for that!

Yeah, it teaches you to always choose the patient decisions, being indiffrent to the outcome, having something above you, commitment to something more important then the petty details of your life. I don't think it implies doing nothing or know when not to act, rather it teaches you HOW to act. Not acting is more like what people do 5 feet under. You'll have plenty of time for that when your metabolism stops. -_-

Everything,

I did not initiate this post, but I do feel compelled to say something.

When Manitou became upset, we were concerned for her, and if you would go back and read myself and others prior post's you would see we were trying

to help calm the situation, and give some

focus in a positive, helpful manner.

I do not know you, and I am new to this forum.

But Your consideration for other human beings...shows very little sensitivity.

I'm sure you can explain everything, Everything...but the point is, if you are not making a positive and useful contribution to those in this forum,

then where is the meaning?

What is the use of learning of the Way?

To cause others suffering under the guise

of being insensitive, or blunt, or having

a warrior mindset, does not excuse the lack of forethought shown. It's the wrong path.

Your assertion that anger is something useful...

is only narrowly true.

If you are angry, it is your anger...not ours.

Please look inside and see the other side and try to connect more with your softer, Yin side.

Find some balance and try understanding

someone else's view.

I wish you peace and understanding. :D

Edited by strawdog65

Everything,

I did not initiate this post, but I do feel compelled to say something.

When Manitou became upset, we were concerned for her, and if you would go back and read myself and others prior post's you would see we were trying

to help calm the situation, and give some

focus in a positive, helpful manner.

I do not know you, and I am new to this forum.

But Your consideration for other human beings...shows very little sensitivity.

I'm sure you can explain everything, Everything...but the point is, if you are not making a positive and useful contribution to those in this forum,

then where is the meaning?

What is the use of learning of the Way?

To cause others suffering under the guise

of being insensitive, or blunt, or having

a warrior mindset, does not excuse the lack of forethought shown. It's the wrong path.

Your assertion that anger is something useful...

is only narrowly true.

If you are angry, it is your anger...not ours.

Please look inside and see the other side and try to connect more with your softer, Yin side.

Find some balance and try understanding

someone else's view.

I wish you peace and understanding. :D

Oh, well, I thought I was giving her focus in a posivite manner aswell. Sorry, I have no idea. I do agree with you on trying to understand your view better, but its hard if I have yet to receive your perspective on things.

So tell me, how is feeling anger wrong?

Edited by Everything

Ok, obviously everyone disagrees with me, the time has come to honor me as your student people! So, I now humbly stand before you and ask what is wrong with feeling anger.

Anger blinds you the way, it controls you.. wu wei, reveals the way.. you are not my student, i am responding that you might not needlessly cause more disharmony.. what you refer to as 'anger' i see as opportunity to further understand the nature of humanity, an opportunity to understand how that reaction changes its environment.. anger is wasted energy, channel it's energy appropriately, as food for your awareness..

Be well..

Anger blinds you the way, it controls you.. wu wei, reveals the way.. you are not my student, i am responding that you might not needlessly cause more disharmony.. what you refer to as 'anger' i see as opportunity to further understand the nature of humanity, an opportunity to understand how that reaction changes its environment.. anger is wasted energy, channel it's energy appropriately, as food for your awareness..

Be well..

So you are saying that when you become angry you do bad things that are not according to the way? Are you saying then when YOU become angry, the anger CONTROLS you? It came right out your fingers and you just typed that. This is obviously proof to me of how immature you are, I'm sorry, really. I don't want to judge you, I just want to show you the real way. I am not trying to brag either, I am not perfect either.

Anger is what you do with it. I for one, have never, not even once adviced anyone here to be destructive or agressive with their anger IN ANY WAY. There is no person existant on this planet that feels no anger. We all have anger. I think the proper way here is to deal with it maturely, rather then let the anger make decisions for you or "control" you.

The term WARRIOR is just a symbol. A symbol is relative to every being. Obviously, you who disagree with me, view the symbol of the warrior as a destructive tyrant who is actually closer to the symbol of the "HERO" who has no boundaries and always dies in mythology. The warrior I am talking about is one who acts out of higher commitment, knows his limits, and never acts agressively, only patiently and disciplined.

Sorry about the edit of my quote and these are just my thoughts, I'm always open to new ideas. These thoughts are not the ultimate truth and my nickname "everything" is just a symbolic name for love.

English is not my native language.

Edited by Everything