goonis38

Law Wheel

Hi Mel! Just wanted to add my thoughts here since I have practiced this before. :)

I agree, I did find the book very good and the teaching very good and the exercises very good too.

However, when you get past that, to the heart of the "movement" that is Falun Gong, there is a whole lot I can just not understand or agree with.

Once you get past the exercises and the book...well there is a long history there of Falun Gong in China and accusations of abuses and the leader Master Li had to leave and come to the US. Now there are accusations of members being tortured, jailed, and even harvested for body parts.

IMO Falun Gong has come to the point where at its root it has become more about a crusade against persecution than about cultivation. In fact Li has gone from teaching only the exercises, to adding the teachings, and now according to him you can not cultivate anything in his school without making "validating the Fa" or "rectifying the Fa" one of your main priorities. There is a news paper they have for this, a traveling theater production, flyers, all kinds of ways you can make yourself useful to the cause.

I guess what I am really trying to make a point of is that if you are looking to work on yourself and learn about yourself there are a lot of ways to do that. Falun Gong has some good tools I guess, but just be aware that you are getting into what is much more of a movement than strictly a cultivation school or technique. In order to be part of that school and succeed, according to it's master, you will have to become part of that movement and part of that cause. The feeling I got from reading the book and practicing was pretty good, especially when it was new. The feeling I got about the whole movement was kind of dark and weird. Once I decided to just let it all go and find my own way it was very liberating and freeing.

I think there is really something you can pick up and learn from the book if the concepts and ideas are new to you, but it's true what others have said here that these are principals taught by many and not exclusive to Falun Gong.

Keep working on yourself! :D It is something I strive for too and it is an awesome thing! That's what cultivation is I guess. Cultivating your body and mind, health and virtue. Becoming peaceful and content with who you are and where you are at any given moment in time.

Good luck with whatever you do!!! :P

Well put, Junbao. :)

I find it intriguing that some who have posted here have called Falun Dafa a cult without defining what a cult is. Generally, it is perceived without question that the other person belongs to a cult. That judgment comes from the psychological attachment to a special belief that one's own belief system is absolutely true as opposed to the others flawed and different belief system. Further, it is perceived that the so called cult leader has co-opted certain techniques, dispensations, sacred writings and other special beliefs from more traditional belief systems that are believed to be of the utmost profound. These revelations are generally believed to be passed down through a lineage from one who has realized so called absolute truth. The point being, traditional belief systems as well as so called cults all claim special dispensation, and special revelation etc, which teachings are structured in an authoritarian and hierarchical i.e, top down thinking system. The higher cause most always leads to abuse and sacrifice of individuality.

The term cult as far as I can tell is not used in any academic research and any new movements are generally classified under new religious movements. Further, the term is used in a derogatory manner.

It is very important to see movements i.e, belief systems as they really are as opposed to the propaganda dispensed from authoritarian hierarchies.

The continual struggle between traditional belief systems and so called cults is about the acquisition of more power and control. Power builds walls around itself and has no interest in openness, just exclusivity. Only it's own view of oneness i.e, a singular identity, a closed structure as opposed to an open space. Anomalous events i.e, outsiders are threats to the structure of closed top down thinking. The social psychology of the herd (pack) will not allow it.

Some of the recent research in neuroplasticity and early childhood conditioning seem to indicate why one is attracted to authoritarian systems. More on that later.

Here is a great scene from one of my favorite movies. The cult deprogrammer and a seeker.

ralis

Edited by ralis

I AM SORRY TO ANYONE, I HAVE UPSET... IT WAS UNKNOWINGLY DONE.

Hi there to you my friend,

You are a nice person, I can tell. I thank you for being kind and understanding. I have not took up with anything as people say, they do not know me as well as you seem to. I had no idea the word "Gong" was like saying I was going to worship the devil. My goodness. A person just sent me this information on here, I had no idea it would upset everyone so. I have been in touch with some higher thinkers since this because of this though, that have offered me some help with things that would be more in The Tao ideas. I am learning for goodness sacks... I'm glad you understand that.

I will just look into all, and in the end i will come up with what is good and true. And is full of love, kindness... And my goal is to help others and myself. I haven't any selfish reasons but to learn, and this is how we do it... Thank you again... And to all the people that have been kind and helpful. On my way to learning.

I have been on a spiritual growth path before coming to your site, with my OBE's and sleep pralysis, and things. So this is what brought me here to find understanding... And mostly through pm. I seem to find the deeper people, and of course you are a great one. But I will not respond to these negative other people there is no reason in it...

Lots of love, Take care Melanie

Hi Mel! Just wanted to add my thoughts here since I have practiced this before. :)

I agree, I did find the book very good and the teaching very good and the exercises very good too.

However, when you get past that, to the heart of the "movement" that is Falun Gong, there is a whole lot I can just not understand or agree with.

Once you get past the exercises and the book...well there is a long history there of Falun Gong in China and accusations of abuses and the leader Master Li had to leave and come to the US. Now there are accusations of members being tortured, jailed, and even harvested for body parts.

IMO Falun Gong has come to the point where at its root it has become more about a crusade against persecution than about cultivation. In fact Li has gone from teaching only the exercises, to adding the teachings, and now according to him you can not cultivate anything in his school without making "validating the Fa" or "rectifying the Fa" one of your main priorities. There is a news paper they have for this, a traveling theater production, flyers, all kinds of ways you can make yourself useful to the cause.

I guess what I am really trying to make a point of is that if you are looking to work on yourself and learn about yourself there are a lot of ways to do that. Falun Gong has some good tools I guess, but just be aware that you are getting into what is much more of a movement than strictly a cultivation school or technique. In order to be part of that school and succeed, according to it's master, you will have to become part of that movement and part of that cause. The feeling I got from reading the book and practicing was pretty good, especially when it was new. The feeling I got about the whole movement was kind of dark and weird. Once I decided to just let it all go and find my own way it was very liberating and freeing.

I think there is really something you can pick up and learn from the book if the concepts and ideas are new to you, but it's true what others have said here that these are principals taught by many and not exclusive to Falun Gong.

Keep working on yourself! :D It is something I strive for too and it is an awesome thing! That's what cultivation is I guess. Cultivating your body and mind, health and virtue. Becoming peaceful and content with who you are and where you are at any given moment in time.

Good luck with whatever you do!!! :P

Hi Mel,

I don't think you should have to apologize to anyone! Obviously, you and almost everyone on this planet are searching for meaning and existential angst is part of that quest. Everyone I know, including myself, have investigated myriad belief systems in the hope of answering the questions of existence.

Discussions on this forum can at times be contentious. I was banned for a week this summer for stating my opinions. :lol: I apologize to no one for what I write.

Thanks for bringing up Falun Dafa. I investigated that movement when it was first revealed about the Chinese state persecuting the Falun Dafa followers. This was about 15 years ago. I ordered the tapes and books and on initial reading, the authoritarianism of Li Hongzhi did not sit well with me.

You might find this free pdf useful.

http://members.shaw.ca/jeanaltemeyer/drbob/TheAuthoritarians.pdf

Edited by ralis

You are a nice person, I can tell. I thank you for being kind and understanding. I have not took up with anything as people say, they do not know me as well as you seem to. I had no idea the word "Gong" was like saying I was going to worship the devil. My goodness. A person just sent me this information on here, I had no idea it would upset everyone so. I have been in touch with some higher thinkers since this because of this though, that have offered me some help with things that would be more in The Tao ideas. I am learning for goodness sacks... I'm glad you understand that.

I will just look into all, and in the end i will come up with what is good and true. And is full of love, kindness... And my goal is to help others and myself. I haven't any selfish reasons but to learn, and this is how we do it... Thank you again... And to all the people that have been kind and helpful. On my way to learning.

I have been on a spiritual growth path before coming to your site, with my OBE's and sleep pralysis, and things. So this is what brought me here to find understanding... And mostly through pm. I seem to find the deeper people, and of course you are a great one. But I will not respond to these negative other people there is no reason in it...

Do you see what you are doing gal...? There is no "kinder than thou" need to dismiss people you are now seeing as "negative" by posting certain parts of the message above, a message (or parts of) which you could have sent via a pm to Junbao or anyone else that you prefer or hope to console with. Thus recognize your own form of negative and deal with it. Btw, if you feel or think it gets "negative" in here then imo and for what it's worth you are grossly unprepared to deal with the possible problems of the physic stuff (like obe/projection, levitation, 3rd eye openings, spirits, etc...) that you say you are seeking and or involved with.

Good luck Mel,

Namaskar

Om

Edited by 3bob

Btw, if you feel or think it gets "negative" in here then imo and for what it's worth you are grossly unprepared to deal with the possible problems of the physic stuff (like obe/projection, levitation, 3rd eye openings, spirits, etc...) that you say you are seeking and or involved with.

Good luck Mel,

Namaskar

Om

Good point! It is prudent to remind people what they are getting into with these types of practices. There is a recent discussion on this forum around kundalini awakening. When I wrote about my experience with kundalini awakening and the negative effects I experienced, several people were terrified. Of course a few downplayed what I had experienced. Most of these practices are hyped by New Age gurus as being fun and games. :lol:

ralis

Edited by ralis

Mel,

This thread is about the kundalini phenomenon. Taomeow, Shaktimama and myself made some very clear statements around these events. All psychic phenomena are kundalini related. I have included the link.

ralis

My link

Edited by ralis

Do you see what you are doing gal...? There is no "kinder than thou" need to dismiss people you are now seeing as "negative" by posting certain parts of the message above, a message (or parts of) which you could have sent via a pm to Junbao or anyone else that you prefer or hope to console with. Thus recognize your own form of negative and deal with it. Btw, if you feel or think it gets "negative" in here then imo and for what it's worth you are grossly unprepared to deal with the possible problems of the physic stuff (like obe/projection, levitation, 3rd eye openings, spirits, etc...) that you say you are seeking and or involved with.

Good luck Mel,

Namaskar

Om

You've got to be kidding. For months now you've contributed nothing of any substance to the subjects at hand, save for the endless stream of quotations, however inspiring, that could only be characterized as tenously related to Taoism. When you do see fit to contribute your own thoughts, they are shrouded in an impenetrable fog of fuzzy thinking, sloppy writing, and flat out silliness.

Now a newcomer shows up who is, by obvious criteria, unschooled in this subject matter, perhaps deeply so, but hungry for knowledge nevertheless, and you've suddenly become a member of the warrior class, the forum's new voice of discernment?

Give it a rest, why don't you.

You've got to be kidding. For months now you've contributed nothing of any substance to the subjects at hand, save for the endless stream of quotations, however inspiring, that could only be characterized as tenously related to Taoism. When you do see fit to contribute your own thoughts, they are shrouded in an impenetrable fog of fuzzy thinking, sloppy writing, and flat out silliness.

Now a newcomer shows up who is, by obvious criteria, unschooled in this subject matter, perhaps deeply so, but hungry for knowledge nevertheless, and you've suddenly become a member of the warrior class, the forum's new voice of discernment?

Ah my little furry fun guy with an assumed superior intellectual insight/oversight; your opinions on the subject at hand have been out voted, so to speak... as for your opinions about me who really cares (?) I don't, besides I'm not the subject at hand just one more opinion backed by my experiences which you know nothing about.

Namaskar

Om

Ah my little furry fun guy with an assumed superior intellectual insight/oversight; your opinions on the subject at hand have been out voted, so to speak... as for your opinions about me who really cares (?) I don't, besides I'm not the subject at hand just one more opinion backed by my experiences which you know nothing about.

Namaskar

Om

Since the only things we can really know about each other are the written expressions we share, you've succeeded once again in making my point.

Since the only things we can really know about each other are the written expressions we share, you've succeeded once again in making my point.

Mel has said she is seeking and involved in various physic stuff, thus (and granted) my imperfect attempts and also imo the better attempts by others in giving her alternate/warning type of information.

In a way you could be giving me alternate/warning type of information to. Btw, I always liked tether-ball better than English back in grade school but I'm interested in and willing to improve myself in that area, even if I am a rather old dog.

What can I know of an author personally from reading his public work? (not everything by a long shot)

Om

Hi Mel, I do not think you have upset anyone so don't worry about it. :)

I myself just wish to see people approach Falun with caution, as the group and the leader have some Very negative qualities.

You can see my story with them on possibly several of Gauss's 'Falun attempts at conversion' threads.

That said I do think the practice is good and once I got sick of the groups subtle yet blatant manipulation attempts, I just left and practised it myself for the next year and a half. I was with them for around 6 months.

So Its nothing against you at all.

But if you start believing that Li Hongzi is some new Chigung Messiah then just ask your self why his -Ultimate wisdom Eye that is developed on every level- could not anticipate or foresee the Chinese governments reaction to his political stunt.

Blessings on your Journey!

And tell us if you get anywhere with levitating :)

Seth.

Practices are good. I think you learn them by doing them. They teach you. No requirement IMO and small experience to fold yourself into a group. I guess being thankful to those who gave you the practice is a nice (the right?) thing to do. If you can help yourself and other people, I think that is a nice (the right?) thing to do.

I personally would not hang with a group as I know/fear the dark nights and other things could give people who might not otherwise legitimately get a let in, way too much sway over my own path.

However, this is not IMO the same as seeking support and help when practice issues come up (and I think they almost always do, unless there's someone here who can say otherwise.) Strangely IME, when things have come up, there's always been help of some kind (and often in the form of someone).

:wub:

Hi Mel,

I don't think you should have to apologize to anyone! Obviously, you and almost everyone on this planet are searching for meaning and existential angst is part of that quest. Everyone I know, including myself, have investigated myriad belief systems in the hope of answering the questions of existence.

Discussions on this forum can at times be contentious. I was banned for a week this summer for stating my opinions. :lol: I apologize to no one for what I write.

Thanks for bringing up Falun Dafa. I investigated that movement when it was first revealed about the Chinese state persecuting the Falun Dafa followers. This was about 15 years ago. I ordered the tapes and books and on initial reading, the authoritarianism of Li Hongzhi did not sit well with me.

You might find this free pdf useful.

Hey there,

Thanks... I think your right... That poster underneath you is about to get a piece of mind...lol I'm not his gal. In his dreams. But I am likeing the joker, great pic... He was a great actor, and what a lose...

I like your threads, and the way you always add some you tub, that is cool... Any how. You are right, just getting started, have along way to go. And good point about not being closed mined, I live in the bible belt talk about closed mined... So thanks for being a good guy. and taking up for me. I guess I will at last give this bug 3bob what he wants...lol

Ok take care Melanie

http://members.shaw....horitarians.pdf

Practices are good. I think you learn them by doing them. They teach you. No requirement IMO and small experience to fold yourself into a group. I guess being thankful to those who gave you the practice is a nice (the right?) thing to do. If you can help yourself and other people, I think that is a nice (the right?) thing to do.

I personally would not hang with a group as I know/fear the dark nights and other things could give people who might not otherwise legitimately get a let in, way too much sway over my own path.

However, this is not IMO the same as seeking support and help when practice issues come up (and I think they almost always do, unless there's someone here who can say otherwise.) Strangely IME, when things have come up, there's always been help of some kind (and often in the form of someone).

:wub:

Hey Kate,

Thanks your always great, Are you going to moderate? I was wondering, I saw that post on Sean looking for a moderator. You sure would be good at it, as you are not harsh acting... And are always positive...

No worries. Just looking here and there. I will get the good from all that I can. Most everyone has been very helpful. And I appreciate it. Sometimes people have spiritual growth with out asking for it, as in my case. So I am just looking for answers... And i appreciate the people with kind concern. There only seems to be one trouble maker. And I will finally address him, and only once.

Thanks for all advise Kate, you always have something helpful to say... Ok take care Melanie

Good luck Mel,

Namaskar

Om

Listen here 3bob, Namaskar, Om

I am no gal, surly not to you. You are a nut case, and a bug. You keep at me for some reason. Just leave me alone. I have no use for your negativity... So go take it to another place that enjoys it. Because it seems to me. No one like it.

And another thing, you don't know jack shit... So stick that in your pip and smoke on it... And take your good luck and stick it where the sun don't shine... Don't ever talk to me again. You are a total ass, and it looks like everyone notices, but you... Melanie

Lol Blasto, love it...

Hey Kate,

Thanks your always great, Are you going to moderate? I was wondering, I saw that post on Sean looking for a moderator. You sure would be good at it, as you are not harsh acting... And are always positive...

No worries. Just looking here and there. I will get the good from all that I can. Most everyone has been very helpful. And I appreciate it. Sometimes people have spiritual growth with out asking for it, as in my case. So I am just looking for answers... And i appreciate the people with kind concern. There only seems to be one trouble maker. And I will finally address him, and only once.

Thanks for all advise Kate, you always have something helpful to say... Ok take care Melanie

Hey Mel,

I wouldn't dare moderate here. Far too much work. :lol:

Falun Dafa is a cult. A good Buddhist school or Taoist school will take you Far, Far, Far further.

Watch out for all the black and white exclusivness in the book as you read it. Notice the things that say will turn you or your friends into 'Evil' practitioners...

Beware....

lol

Seth.

Your reply seems to carry negative energy. Would you mind telling us how Falun Dafa can be a cult when there is no membership, no money, no organization, no worshipping and no buildings? And 100 million cultivators mean that the sum total of Dafa cultivators probably is 10 times more than all other orthodox schools put together.. Something must be very right about Zhen-Shan-Ren or else so many people would not do it.

Dafa is something about you yourself raising your Gong level as you are becoming a better and better person in daily life and decreasing your karma as you go forward, hard but possible. Melanie, I congratulate you if you already can see the Falun, it is great news for you. I can tell you your kids can reach levels unimaginable if they start doing just a tiny bit of cultivation.

Dafa is the future of this world.

Your reply seems to carry negative energy. Would you mind telling us how Falun Dafa can be a cult when there is no membership, no money, no organization, no worshipping and no buildings? And 100 million cultivators mean that the sum total of Dafa cultivators probably is 10 times more than all other orthodox schools put together..

Firstly I don't believe there is that many people who practice it. Secondly, even if so you'd still be wrong by a long shot. The first four major religions all go from at least 400 milion upwards.

:o:wacko:

Edited by Pero

Your reply seems to carry negative energy. Would you mind telling us how Falun Dafa can be a cult when there is no membership, no money, no organization, no worshipping and no buildings? And 100 million cultivators mean that the sum total of Dafa cultivators probably is 10 times more than all other orthodox schools put together.. Something must be very right about Zhen-Shan-Ren or else so many people would not do it.

Dafa is something about you yourself raising your Gong level as you are becoming a better and better person in daily life and decreasing your karma as you go forward, hard but possible. Melanie, I congratulate you if you already can see the Falun, it is great news for you. I can tell you your kids can reach levels unimaginable if they start doing just a tiny bit of cultivation.

Way more than 100 million people eat Bigmacs everyday. There must be something to it then.

Listen here 3bob, Namaskar, Om

I am no gal, surly not to you. You are a nut case, and a bug. You keep at me for some reason. Just leave me alone. I have no use for your negativity... So go take it to another place that enjoys it. Because it seems to me. No one like it.

And another thing, you don't know jack shit... So stick that in your pip and smoke on it... And take your good luck and stick it where the sun don't shine... Don't ever talk to me again. You are a total ass, and it looks like everyone notices, but you... Melanie

whoah....

One lesson that Taoism makes clear is that we are all involved in a vast process, a cycle between being and non-being, and that we are obliged to consider how our behavior can effect the behavior of others. Since this is a forum that deals in the currency of written communication, we are limited to the legitimate criticism of each other's ideas, not our personhood. In a culture where most people live in their heads and cannot distinguish between their thoughts and their selves, making this distinction can be difficult.

I'm on record as someone who has no qualms about leveling fierce attacks on poorly constructed ideas, and of course I get defensive when my ideas are treated in kind, but personal attacks are usually a sign of an empty quiver. We are responsible for the quality of our ideas and our ability to express them clearly in writing and must accept due criticism when we fail to uphold this simple standard. Barring that, the best defense is a strong offense; good reading and writing habits will make you a stronger thinker.

Would you mind telling us how Falun Dafa can be a cult when there is no membership, no money, no organization, no worshipping and no buildings?

Melanie, I congratulate you if you already can see the Falun, it is great news for you. I can tell you your kids can reach levels unimaginable if they start doing just a tiny bit of cultivation.

Actually, none of the criteria you mentioned here defines what a cult really is, and yet it could be all of these and more.

Its also highly doubtful that in today's world something could exist with 'no money'.

If Melanie have already seen the Falun, then she would have at least understood the basic premise of what one fundamental level of spiritual cultivation entails: that it is a path that goes beyond the mere notions of upkeeping and keeping up with positive attitudes; that very often its unwise to re-act to things people say, especially over the net, and on a slightly higher level, to be able to see that spirituality is also about maintaining equanimity, and not branding some folks as good people, while others bad. If we were to reflect on a deeper level, it is really because of the 'bad' that we need to cultivate more virtue, so that someday we may perhaps rise above both, and attain to absolute non-discrimination, like the wise sages. Its obvious Melanie has yet to get a taste of this side of spirituality, so for you to congratulate her, based simply upon her enthusiastic nature, is a bit of an oversight on your part, and goes some way to show how insincere you really are.

What is the point of cultivation if we only use what we gather and share it among the good?

Please read my recent post on authoritarian systems and power. Falun Dafa is a top down thinking organization created by Li Hongzhi. He claims infallible authority and has exclusive power in the transmission of the teachings. By popular definition that is a cult. Academic sociologists would classify Falun Dafa as a new religious movement.

Dafa is no more the future than any other mass movement. True believers are always distracted by the movement.

ralis