JohnC

Zhan zhuang

Let me share my experience with this great energetic and meditative tool:

1. Dissolving will take care of the form itself

2. Total relaxation is a required before reaching the dissipating stage

3. It is a very helpful to start with a series of "on the spot" warming up exercises before getting in into the practice itself. Examples:

From min 3:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se-1NNystfc&feature=related

There is a whole set of Daoyin exercises on that page. You can draw your one blend of exercises if you like to the point of having hundreds of combinations available.

4. Visualisations are very important to deviate the mind from physical uncomfort and the constant tempation placed by the mind to give up. Another alternative would be focusing on the breathing, anapanasati style if you like: on the breath going through the nostrils on the inhalation and on the breath passing by the lips on the exhalation phase, for instance; or just focus on the rising and falling of the abdomen.

5. Make sure when you finish you bring energy down to the tantien using both arms and bringing both feet together, like this:

Min 0:46. But he has both feet together unlike you which will be separated and which you must bring slowly together by bringing one leg close to the other at the same time you perform the bringing energy down to lower tantien using arms as shown in the vid.

"4. Visualisations are very important to deviate the mind from physical uncomfort and the constant tempation placed by the mind to give up. Another alternative would be focusing on the breathing, anapanasati style if you like: on the breath going through the nostrils on the inhalation and on the breath passing by the lips on the exhalation phase, for instance; or just focus on the rising and falling of the abdomen."

as your awareness opens and particularlly breath awareness being returned to in consistent practice, what is percieved as slight pain transforms into varying degrees of comfort levels in which micro changes elleviate the faxcial suffering through micro spiral movements. This not only 'washes' the muscles and tendons by systematically tearing through on a microspoic level, but then as the muscles and tendons begin to change you begin to be able to sure fly access the feeling of the bones, as well as the fluids and hydro dynamics. Organs (especially with sounds and cavity massage) the nerve fibers, It's not really that complicated it's just fun to talk the feeling and gets it out when others kinda look at you sideways as you throw yours arms up when a good gust of wind blows by. Each successive level of stillness emanates a deeper beating heart, silent observation is key, push and be pressed on, rollback, ward off, grasping sparrow a cascading peacocks tail. resonating wires under a feather soft touch. To open differennt windows into the subtle world of movement within the body. The Taoist Method of Silent Observation reveals flowers blooming at our fingertips we Do Of which visualizations are replaced with physiological ques which signal the relaxation response, visualization is often replaced with a clearer

vision after the relaxation response replaces the fight or flight reaction. placing a "load" on the "whole" via gravity. Find wuji in between each movement of the tai chi forms, any of them, This type of exercise could be looked at as a series of natural measurements from the center out and back again safety never compromising the integrity of your movements purpose while maintaining the flexibility to adapt to every change instantly. This is akin to laying a . then drawing a I circling an O then again a Figure 8 through the whole. Natural geometry holds up bridges

Edited by Spectrum

Forgive my stream of consciousness. Stillness and absolute single mindedness is the best thing I can add to the thread at this moment. The physicial postures will take care of themselves as you practice and grow.

Been having great success on the beach going shin deep in sand and rock

Very stimulating for the points as well

?... I have belief in micro sessions if you will... when in line or for just a brief period when the time or inclination presents itself

Getting all the points in contact, just making contact, to help us remember or to correct alignment or whatever....

AND thanks for all the great input all!

Plugin' in the earth like Gene Simmons boots in clay,

Robert

(an old rooting visualization of mine don't ask)

313.jpg

"4. Visualisations are very important to deviate the mind from physical uncomfort and the constant tempation placed by the mind to give up. Another alternative would be focusing on the breathing, anapanasati style if you like: on the breath going through the nostrils on the inhalation and on the breath passing by the lips on the exhalation phase, for instance; or just focus on the rising and falling of the abdomen."

as your awareness opens and particularlly breath awareness being returned to in consistent practice, what is percieved as slight pain transforms into varying degrees of comfort levels in which micro changes elleviate the faxcial suffering through micro spiral movements. This not only 'washes' the muscles and tendons by systematically tearing through on a microspoic level, but then as the muscles and tendons begin to change you begin to be able to sure fly access the feeling of the bones, as well as the fluids and hydro dynamics. Organs (especially with sounds and cavity massage) the nerve fibers, It's not really that complicated it's just fun to talk the feeling and gets it out when others kinda look at you sideways as you throw yours arms up when a good gust of wind blows by. Each successive level of stillness emanates a deeper beating heart, silent observation is key, push and be pressed on, rollback, ward off, grasping sparrow a cascading peacocks tail. resonating wires under a feather soft touch. To open differennt windows into the subtle world of movement within the body. The Taoist Method of Silent Observation reveals flowers blooming at our fingertips we Do Of which visualizations are replaced with physiological ques which signal the relaxation response, visualization is often replaced with a clearer

vision after the relaxation response replaces the fight or flight reaction. placing a "load" on the "whole" via gravity. Find wuji in between each movement of the tai chi forms, any of them, This type of exercise could be looked at as a series of natural measurements from the center out and back again safety never compromising the integrity of your movements purpose while maintaining the flexibility to adapt to every change instantly. This is akin to laying a . then drawing a I circling an O then again a Figure 8 through the whole. Natural geometry holds up bridges

As always Spectrum, very instructive. Glad to see you're checking in here more. :)

I've never heard the words "six harmonies" before. But it sounds like another word for the six directions.

Standing in a posture is easy.

Put the six directions into the same posture and you'll be burning and shaking in a few minutes.

Can someone explain how to do this? Put the 6 directions into Zhan Zhuang?

Can someone explain how to do this? Put the 6 directions into Zhan Zhuang?

First I have to say that trying to do this without a teacher will likely result in just creating a lot of tension instead of gaining the benefit of the practice. But for information purposes is rather interesting IMO.

The 6 directions is a different way of talking about the channels. It's a more pragmatic use of language IMO. You want the body to be working in a minimum of six directions at once. In the basic pile standing posture, you could for each direction be doing the follow:

Up/Down: Attempting to jump, but a heavy backpack keeps your body in one place. Also your head is lifting up and stretching your spine.

Left/Right: Ripping apart the bark on a tree, but it is too strong and you can't do it, Simultaneously trying to compress the tree with your elbows.

Forward/Back: You are trying to pull the tree down backwards, while you are resisting a very strong elastic band that is pulling you backwards (meaning you are pushing yourself forward).

Any one of these actions can recruit a large mass of your body. But doing all of them, and using your mind to create the activities as real as the real thing, your entire body should be engaged and expanding in every direction. Also, I believe this is the real meaning of the body becoming one. This plays a big role in opening the entire body. According to classical text, this is opening the meridians.

In I-Chuan, you use Zhan Zhuang to learn the six directions (among other things), and then keep them activated as you start moving into test of power and health dance. Test of Sound is a measurement of progress, a way of training the dantian, and the central channel.

I am not achieved in the martial arts, but this is my interpretation of what my teacher has taught me thus far, and is one of my goals. I hope this has helped, I am open for any questions.

Edited by Old Man Contradiction

The Six Harmonies Of Xingyiquan.

The unity between Mind and Intention, Intention with Qi, and the Chi with Power is referred to as "The Three Internal Harmonies". The unity between the palm and the foot, the elbow and knee, and the shoulder and hip joints is called "The Three External Harmonies". This means that the palm is always above and correlated with the foot - when one moves, the other also moves with it. When one stops, the other also stops. While performing any movement, there should always be harmony between the Internal and the External.

Three Axis : Six Directions

Up Down

Left Right

Forward Back

this is the directional minimum for existance in three dimensional space, everyone has varying degree's of tension and relaxation of these primary postural directions, if I may point in an addition direction, it is the first oblique or diagonal direction off the three axis, this results in Eight Directions, any 45 def angle off the primary three will loop the energy to stillness.

Four Axis : Eight Directions

up down

left right

forward back

oblique diagonal ( corners )

this is also related to the limitations presented by te concept of attack ie "overtaking" an opponent or the concept of maintaining peace and "neautralizing" an opponent.

Martial artists seeking meditation in practice can completely rest in the eight pointed star returning all movement to stillness. By focusing on how the star grounds energy the double tetrahedro. Can be free to twist and spin while your equilibrium centrally balances the whole. Truth in conflict resolution may not be a victory by standing over the crumbled bodies of your defeated opponents. You might help them instead regain true balance.

Edited by Spectrum

What is indicated above, is very different than my original intention when writing "the six directions".

Zheng Li, opposing force, is like an isometric force going in opposite directions that you create within your body, and than also eventually connected to outside of your body. Starting with muscle work, goal being to be work of the tendons. When you are adept at this, every time you issue power, your body explodes into every direction from your core. Every time you just move, your body expands in every direction. And every time you are still, your body still is expanding in every direction. This is stillness in movement. This is internal. It is impossible to achieve this if you are relaxed (aka inactive) and it is impossible if you are creating tension. Xingyi's Six Harmonies are inherently essential in getting Zheng Li to work properly.

This is just from my limited training and my interpretation. I have not achieved this goal yet.

Edited by Old Man Contradiction

What is indicated above, is very different than my original intention when writing "the six directions".

Zheng Li, opposing force, is like an isometric force going in opposite directions that you create within your body, and than also eventually connected to outside of your body. Starting with muscle work, goal being to be work of the tendons. When you are adept at this, every time you issue power, your body explodes into every direction from your core. Every time you just move, your body expands in every direction. And every time you are still, your body still is expanding in every direction. This is stillness in movement. This is internal. It is impossible to achieve this if you are relaxed (aka inactive) and it is impossible if you are creating tension. Xingyi's Six Harmonies are inherently essential in getting Zheng Li to work properly.

This is just from my limited training and my interpretation. I have not achieved this goal yet.

I have been learning some Yiquan recently and have been contemplating dropping my xingyi altogether. I would really like to focus all my MA training on one art.

IMHO Yiquan is an absolutely incredible martial art and way of life in general. It really is the pinnacle of internal martial arts cultivating strength, speed, elasticity, whole body power and is an excellent way of re-training the mind. It's also bloody hard work !

Genius. Can't wait for my next lesson.

Its true, a top could spin in place on a perfectly flat surface... Why does it stay upright?

Edited by Spectrum

One thing I've noticed is that every time I get up to 15 min of ZZ (holding the ball) my emotional state tends to become problematic. Anyone know why this might be?

One thing I've noticed is that every time I get up to 15 min of ZZ (holding the ball) my emotional state tends to become problematic. Anyone know why this might be?

Check if your thoraxic diaphragm isn't tight, if your breath can't go down to your tantien. Try breathing with your belly and floating ribs. Also don't held your elbows above nipples level (but at the diaphragm)and try a narrower ball with your arms. Hope this helps! :)

• Like 1

Check if your thoraxic diaphragm isn't tight, if your breath can't go down to your tantien. Try breathing with your belly and floating ribs. Also don't held your elbows above nipples level (but at the diaphragm)and try a narrower ball with your arms. Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the tip. I stood in the holding the ball position, and lowered my elbows to the diaphram area as you said and noticed that it loosend up my breathing significantly. Yes previously breathing in that stance was quite stiff and labored, lowering the elbows makes a lot of difference. Thank you :-)

Edited by dmattwads
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tip. I stood in the holding the ball position, and lowered my elbows to the diaphram area as you said and noticed that it loosend up my breathing significantly. Yes previously breathing in that stance was quite stiff and labored, lowering the elbows makes a lot of difference. Thank you :-)

Glad it worked. You may try also to round your back, that is making concave (hollow) your chest. Notice that your elbows will move a little both to the sides and forward.

And if any day you're having big trouble with emotions, you could try holding the ball at navel level. Let your arms expand and contract by the belly breathing. It has helped me quite a lot. IME it won't solve the blockeage at the middle tantien, but may put it on hold while developing a better foundation at the lower tantien.

Best,

Glad it worked. You may try also to round your back, that is making concave (hollow) your chest. Notice that your elbows will move a little both to the sides and forward.

And if any day you're having big trouble with emotions, you could try holding the ball at navel level. Let your arms expand and contract by the belly breathing. It has helped me quite a lot. IME it won't solve the blockeage at the middle tantien, but may put it on hold while developing a better foundation at the lower tantien.

Best,

Is that what holding the ball at the chest level is supposed to be doing? working on the middle dan tien? and is that the problem I was having a blockage in the middle dan tien? What exactely does the middle dan tien do anyways? what are the symptoms of a blockage?

Is that what holding the ball at the chest level is supposed to be doing? working on the middle dan tien? and is that the problem I was having a blockage in the middle dan tien? What exactely does the middle dan tien do anyways? what are the symptoms of a blockage?

Holding the ball works on the whole energy system. Most of us have problems passing qi through the middle dantien. I'm not qualified to give you a proper answer to your request on the subject. There is an interesting article related to MD and MCO written by skilled taobum posters at:

http://www.precisiondocs.com/~altaoism/index.htm

Holding the ball works on the whole energy system. Most of us have problems passing qi through the middle dantien. I'm not qualified to give you a proper answer to your request on the subject. There is an interesting article related to MD and MCO written by skilled taobum posters at:

http://www.precisiondocs.com/~altaoism/index.htm

Holding the ball a little lower and smaller has helped a lot with my breathing. Does anyone else get really hot from doing ZZ? Like even when they are just in wuji posture?

Holding the ball a little lower and smaller has helped a lot with my breathing. Does anyone else get really hot from doing ZZ? Like even when they are just in wuji posture?

Yeah that's normal. You are essentially eliminating parasitic muscular tension through standing postures. The energy has to go somewhere (heat).

DaoBums, I found this recently and it seems to be an excellent resource for the beginner to introduce this practice into their life.  However, I would never know if it is leading me astray.  Feedback would be greatly appreciated.  There is a video at the bottom of the link demonstrating the form.

Thank you, Sincerely,

https://scottjeffrey.com/zhan-zhuang/

The author appears to be a syncretist, who holds seminars targetted to a corporate audience.  The seminars appear to be selling out in a few of the categories.  The author has written a book intended to boost creativity.  

Edited by Daniel