Ya Mu

Gulf Oil Spill & Continuous Outpour

Want to change the environment of the oil market? You have a choice: change the supply end or change the demand end.

We have more control over the demand end because that's us. It is your demand on oil that has caused this atrocity to our planet. Stop whinging about "them" and take an inventory on your demands on unsustainable and ecologically stupid energy sources.

Want to make sure this never happens again? Bury your car and grow a garden ;)

I rarely participate in this sort of discussions but hey this one because it is related to mother Earth I will for once.

My take is the following:

The responsible parties for this tragedy are two:

1. US Government

2. Greedy corporation: BP.

Now, I still don't understand why humanity has to rely on this specific old fossil fuel for transportation but it is clear that the lobbying and manipulation of Oil corporations is what is still keeping us in the dark age.

Wake up humanity!

Edited: typo.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

My take is the following:

The responsible parties for this tragedy are two:

1. US Government

2. Greedy corporation: BP.

Now, I still don't understand why humanity has to rely on this specific old fossil fuel for transportation but it is clear that the lobbying and manipulation of Oil corporations is what is still keeping us in the dark age.

Or more specifically:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbyEeMS10cs

There is an underground theory that suggests that the tragic oil rig explosion and disaster in the Gulf of Mexico on April 20, 2010 was not an accident. This massive disaster that happened to be responsible for 11 oil rig crewmen and now is also creating a potential ecosystem and ecological mega-disaster. The theory is that the rig was intentionally sunk by Halliburton along with private security firm BlackwaterUSA. The reasoning behind this is that the BP oil rig owned by Royal Dutch Shell a British and Dutch based corporation had access to the largest oil blood vein so to speak in the region. This same oil vein also happens to be near and also feeds oil to the country of Venezuela, Dictator Hugo Chavez and it's people. What a better way for a mafia style hit to gain control of a billion dollar pipeline then to act as if an "accident" occurred to both seize and gain ownership of an area by bringing down its value for one and secondly to make sure no one else gets near it again. Also to neutralize an enemy without invasion you must cut off the resources that enrich them. a method used in Iraq and Saddam Hussein and now appears to be implemented in the Gulf of Mexico against Venezuela and Hugo Chavez. In due time the financial crunch will be very much noticeable, what is not known is what outcome or actions will be met if this turns out to be a real crime of the planet or eco-terrorism all in the name to gain more power and wealth for oil yet again.

March 31, 2010: Obama reverses a 29-year ban & approves new oil and gas drilling off U.S. coasts now. Unfortunately, he doesn't add any safety regulations to reduce the catastrophic risks associated with this move (like other countries do). Wonder why?
BP and its employees have given more than $3.5 million to federal candidates over the past 20 years, with the largest chunk of their money going to Obama

During his time in the Senate and while running for president, Obama received a total of $77,051 from the oil giant and is the top recipient of BP PAC and individual money over the past 20 years

April 22, 2010: BP oil leak starts...

bp-oil-spill-satellite-may-17-arm-photo01.jpg

Edited by vortex

Want to change the environment of the oil market? You have a choice: change the supply end or change the demand end.

We have more control over the demand end because that's us. It is your demand on oil that has caused this atrocity to our planet. Stop whinging about "them" and take an inventory on your demands on unsustainable and ecologically stupid energy sources.

Want to make sure this never happens again? Bury your car and grow a garden ;)

I would be happy to just ride a horse and a bicycle.

Had a solar business in 1980. Government decided to subsidize oil and nuclear and not solar and a whole thriving solar industry went down the tube because of this. It is really easy to reduce oil use but for some reason it seems most do not really want to. The oil companies and vehicle manufacturers have been using mind control on the masses (mass PR - YOU NEED this car) for a long time now and lobbying against change (this is what shot the solar industry in 1982). It is indeed a matter of all of us awakening and assuming responsibility.

And I do grow a large garden - using draft horses - not tractor. And am attempting to save up to reduce my electrical and fuel bill to 0. Goal is electric vehicle re-charged by solar and home solar water heating and solar electric with inverter grid-tie to sell back to electrical company during peak production.

But all this doesn't negate or change the fact that this oil disaster will change life as we know it for oh so many.

I dont think most people will wake up. Most people simply aren't spiritually inclined, or are just plain not smart enough.

The main incentive to change will be when gasoline hits $5 or more and people HAVE to start using horses and trains powered by alternative energy sources to adapt.

I would be happy to just ride a horse and a bicycle.

Had a solar business in 1980. Government decided to subsidize oil and nuclear and not solar and a whole thriving solar industry went down the tube because of this. It is really easy to reduce oil use but for some reason it seems most do not really want to. The oil companies and vehicle manufacturers have been using mind control on the masses (mass PR - YOU NEED this car) for a long time now and lobbying against change (this is what shot the solar industry in 1982). It is indeed a matter of all of us awakening and assuming responsibility.

And I do grow a large garden - using draft horses - not tractor. And am attempting to save up to reduce my electrical and fuel bill to 0. Goal is electric vehicle re-charged by solar and home solar water heating and solar electric with inverter grid-tie to sell back to electrical company during peak production.

But all this doesn't negate or change the fact that this oil disaster will change life as we know it for oh so many.

:D

You are a champion of the cause then. Love to see pics of your horses at work ;)

The important thing is to speak up now and every time.

They got us programmed also to believe that no one can wake up.

The thing that is asleep in America in Conscience. Every time we don't speak up because of social overtone, or social programming like "no one will listen" "the government is too powerful" our own concience shrinks and the beliefs instilled in us not by our creator gain more ground. It will never be a matter of somebody else listening or believing for US to succeed. All we need to is Know the Truth and then Speak the Truth...Our conciense exists in a no time no space reality and is the place in human experience where we really can see each other as ONE. It does not - does not take millions or thousands or even hundreds. One heart awakening stirs the hearts of all. We are now and always have been the deciders, not the government and not the "program"

Speak up

I dont think most people will wake up. Most people simply aren't spiritually inclined, or are just plain not smart enough.

The main incentive to change will be when gasoline hits $5 or more and people HAVE to start using horses and trains powered by alternative energy sources to adapt.

Now the discussion is heading the way of my own musings.

I think it comes down to shifting values, and how to shift the values of the great mass of population who kind of ignore the fact that they are the ones ultimately creating the oil demand, and hence the pollution.

Sometimes the use of shame and guilt works, but often it backfires because people have an ego-defence mechanism that will allow them to sqirm out: blame someone else, the oil companies, the president, or like Palin, blame the environmentalists. So often if I accuse someone of being guilty of being the cause, they will create an emotional response as to why I am wrong, and then once stated, they will have the tendancy to believe their own creation...

And yet shame and guilt can work if there is a doorway out, such as a finger pointing towards a green vehicle that just happens to be on sale.

I have no idea why electric vehicles such as scooters, electric bikes, commuter cars are not being promoted and someone cashing in. These kinds of vehicles are all over in China, the suppliers are there. Most small trips to the mall or park can be done with these vehicles.

Back to shifting of values, from relatively selfish to selfless. The easiest and most natural route is to spiritually lift the people so that the values will naturally shift. A population must be ready for a spiritual shift, must be fertile grounds or it will not work. A little pressure is good as a catalyst.

If anyone has any other ideas to shift the core values of people let me know.

I have no idea why electric vehicles such as scooters, electric bikes, commuter cars are not being promoted and someone cashing in. These kinds of vehicles are all over in China, the suppliers are there. Most small trips to the mall or park can be done with these vehicles.

I started a side business a few years ago. Electric bicycles, solar oven, etc. Great idea! Not exactly, a great idea but an extremely poor business investment. Still have 3 electric bikes that I cannot sell even at half price way below cost. Want one? No?

Enjoy our solar oven, though.

I found out talk is cheap concerning alternative solutions; not many are willing to carry through.

Back to shifting of values, from relatively selfish to selfless. The easiest and most natural route is to spiritually lift the people so that the values will naturally shift. A population must be ready for a spiritual shift, must be fertile grounds or it will not work. A little pressure is good as a catalyst.

If anyone has any other ideas to shift the core values of people let me know.

This group is making quite an impact along the lines of a 'spiritual revolution': http://www.kechara.com/kwpc/

http://www.kechara.com/index.php

Highly motivated, engaged, and doing a lot of positive work in society to raise environmental and spiritual awareness, with the aid of many prominent philanthropists. Some of the key areas where the group are intensively focussing on is homelessness, recycling, animal cruelty, and the old folks. They walk the talk... A really good workable model they have.

American towns are all sprawled out. They are not compacted and walkable like most European or Asian cities.

You see, even just a "minor" design flaw in our community designs can cascade into severe consequences.

Urban sprawl forces us to use a lot more fuel.

Higher demand for fuel fuels riskier operations to scavenge it from dwindling supplies.

Increased risk eventually results in increased accidents.

This is just ONE contributing factor, too. There's PLENTY more here too - like exponential population growth, etc. Yet, our government is doing NOTHING to address these issues (in fact, even encouraging them). Of course, our government is saturated in black gold itself, so don't expect any solutions out of them! I think they need to send a clean-up crew to Washington too! :lol:

But, if you have any brilliant ideas to stop the leaks, you can also try submitting them here. (Although whether this is just a PR ploy or actually given real consideration - I don't know!)

Edited by vortex

American towns are all sprawled out. They are not compacted and walkable like most European or Asian cities.

You see, even just a "minor" design flaw in our community designs can cascade into severe consequences.

Urban sprawl forces us to use a lot more fuel.

Higher demand for fuel fuels riskier operations to scavenge it from dwindling supplies.

Increased risk eventually results in increased accidents.

This is just ONE contributing factor, too. There's PLENTY more here too - like exponential population growth, etc. Yet, our government is doing NOTHING to address these issues (in fact, even encouraging them). Of course, our government is saturated in black gold itself, so don't expect an solutions out of them! I think they need to send a clean-up crew to Washington too! :lol:

But, if you have any brilliant ideas to stop the leaks, you can also try submitting them here. (Although whether this is just a PR ploy or actually given real consideration - I don't know!)

You nailed it. Well done. Urban sprawl, and perhaps more accurately, suburban sprawl, was the essential design flaw that has crippled our efforts to retool for sustainability. James Kunstler calls suburbia "the greatest misallocation of resources in the history of the world." It wasn't an accidential creation, but a deliberate attempt to configure land use policy for the purpose of creating the world's first domestic mass consumer market. Americans were the lab rats, and now we have a built environment that cannot work without unlimited fossil fuel sources. Early 20th century urban planners did not willingly construct ecologically untenable cities, but neither did they consider the finite nature of natural resources. "The Geography of Nowhere" and "The Long Emergency" both by Kunstler are considered modern classics in this subject.

I think we have to be careful in assigning blame for our predicament because we are all complicit in this unsustainable mess we've created. But we can't ignore the fact that the growth of the American consumer culture, and the rest of the global consumer class, was a deliberate and calculated achievement, waged with upwards of half a trillion dollars a year in commercial advertising, social engineering, and a steady corporate drumbeat that has equated consumerism with happiness. The Buddhist scholar David Loy has written about this at length - "The Great Awakening: a Buddhist Social Theory" - not to mention the legion of contemporary Buddhist scholars writing about green Buddhism and Buddhist environmental ethics.

I don't think that blame for our predicament can be evenly distributed upon the world's inhabitants; clearly, there are real people with real names and addresses holding positions of global power who wield disproportionately greater influence, for better or worse, than the legions of zombies sleepwalking through consumer culture. But the inevitable social and economic contractions ahead can still be managed with wisdom and, hopefully, compassion. The Four Horsemen have already arrived; we still have options as to how we respond to them. But even this opportunity won't last forever.

As a benevolent dictator, I would listen to the experts and decree -

the end to industrial meat production.

the end of industrial mega-farms for feedstock and a reversion to smaller scale, locally grown agricultural projects.

a mandate that all housing stock be reconstructed with insulating technology that would vitiate the need for heating and air conditioning (rammed earth, hempcrete, passive solar), with materials salvaged from our vast suburban slums.

A reconstruction of a national train system, with housing stock and light industry on TODs (transit oriented developments, in the spirit of urban renaissance, i.e., rebuilding Paris.

A full-blown enterprise of industrial hemp production for food, fuel, building materials and topsoil replenishment.

and, last but not least...

mandatory nei kung training.

Of course, this is silly, because Americans would rather drive their Hummers through the MacDonald's drivethrough on the way to Hell than actually bear the burden of being authentically human. :lol:

Edited by Blasto

A full-blown enterprise of industrial hemp production for food, fuel, building materials and topsoil replenishment.
AGREED! Hemp is actually a sustainable, green SUPERCROP. It excels in a myriad of uses as you stated - and even better, grows like a weed with very little water needed!

Legalizing hemp alone could go a looonggg ways towards solving our growing crises here...

So YES, there are already plenty of EASY solutions available RIGHT NOW.

Of course, what I've since come to realize is that 99% of Americans are intellectually incapable of connecting all these far-flung dots here because they simply aren't that intelligent. Like literally - I always scored in the top 1% of all standardized testing I've ever taken. That's why maybe only 1% of Americans like us can "get it" on our own, despite all the public propaganda otherwise. So unfortunately, it is our burden to educate others on this stuff that they would never figure out on their own in a hundred years. Cuz if we don't, they never will. And will in fact be brainwashed to think otherwise by their globalist puppetmasters...

Edited by vortex

About 4 years ago I was shopping around to buy a new car. I chose Yaris as the most efficient. While making the choice, I browsed major car forums to figure out what other people think of it. Most complaints from the USA folk were like 'I'd buy it but I can't. It would be socially unacceptable to drive such a small car in my area where giant SUV is a norm'.

You nailed it. Well done. Urban sprawl, and perhaps more accurately, suburban sprawl, was the essential design flaw that has crippled our efforts to retool for sustainability. James Kunstler calls suburbia "the greatest misallocation of resources in the history of the world." It wasn't an accidential creation, but a deliberate attempt to configure land use policy for the purpose of creating the world's first domestic mass consumer market. Americans were the lab rats, and now we have a built environment that cannot work without unlimited fossil fuel sources. Early 20th century urban planners did not willingly construct ecologically untenable cities, but neither did they consider the finite nature of natural resources. "The Geography of Nowhere" and "The Long Emergency" both by Kunstler are considered modern classics in this subject.

I think we have to be careful in assigning blame for our predicament because we are all complicit in this unsustainable mess we've created. But we can't ignore the fact that the growth of the American consumer culture, and the rest of the global consumer class, was a deliberate and calculated achievement, waged with upwards of half a trillion dollars a year in commercial advertising, social engineering, and a steady corporate drumbeat that has equated consumerism with happiness. The Buddhist scholar David Loy has written about this at length - "The Great Awakening: a Buddhist Social Theory" - not to mention the legion of contemporary Buddhist scholars writing about green Buddhism and Buddhist environmental ethics.

I don't think that blame for our predicament can be evenly distributed upon the world's inhabitants; clearly, there are real people with real names and addresses holding positions of global power who wield disproportionately greater influence, for better or worse, than the legions of zombies sleepwalking through consumer culture. But the inevitable social and economic contractions ahead can still be managed with wisdom and, hopefully, compassion. The Four Horsemen have already arrived; we still have options as to how we respond to them. But even this opportunity won't last forever.

As a benevolent dictator, I would listen to the experts and decree -

the end to industrial meat production.

the end of industrial mega-farms for feedstock and a reversion to smaller scale, locally grown agricultural projects.

a mandate that all housing stock be reconstructed with insulating technology that would vitiate the need for heating and air conditioning (rammed earth, hempcrete, passive solar), with materials salvaged from our vast suburban slums.

A reconstruction of a national train system, with housing stock and light industry on TODs (transit oriented developments, in the spirit of urban renaissance, i.e., rebuilding Paris.

and, last but not least...

mandatory nei kung training.

Of course, this is silly, because Americans would rather drive their Hummers through the MacDonald's drivethrough on the way to Hell than actually bear the burden of being authentically human. :lol:

Good ideas.

I have promoted train system overhaul and moderization, hemp cultivation, passive and active solar and energy conservation design, small farm versus factory farming, etc. since the 70's. I have found that only one in several thousand will listen. I mean, damn!!, how much sense does it make to truck food in across the country instead of growing it locally? How much sense does it make to build housing that doesn't take advantage of the sun with energy conservation in mind? How much sense does it make...

A few years ago we planted a really large garden (still do). When it was time to harvest we picked, shelled, and canned all we wanted and I asked one of the neighbors did they want to go pick themselves all the peas they want. Their reply was no after they gave me an incredulous "What? I have to pick them?" look. So I decided rather than let them go to waste I picked them and took them to another neighbor and offered them. They replied the kids wouldn't eat them unless they were out of a can after they gave me a "What? I have to shell them?" look. I finally took them to an older lady who graciously said thank you and acted proud to get FRESH peas.

The younger generation in our country knows nothing of these things and I haven't seen education work at all. I have finally gotten somewhat cynical and believe change will only happen when forced. But not so cynical that I don't bring all these things up constantly anyway (heck, habit I guess).

The younger generation in our country knows nothing of these things and I haven't seen education work at all. I have finally gotten somewhat cynical and believe change will only happen when forced. But not so cynical that I don't bring all these things up constantly anyway (heck, habit I guess).

It's true, most people wont perform to their full potential until their backs are against the wall and the sword is above their heads.

That's why folks who are 'in the know' must fulfill the role of "stewards of the flame," if you will excuse the poetic speech. We must gather and guard the knowledge of spiritual evolution, agricultural efficiency, environmental sustainability, and social harmony, and carefully pass this knowledge from generation to generation. Sooner of later humanity is going to be forced to turn to these more sustainable lifepaths and we must make sure this knowledge and technologies are available or else humanity evolves into an unfortunate abomination.

Oh and Blasto, you have my vote ... when do you run for office? ;)

It's true, most people wont perform to their full potential until their backs are against the wall and the sword is above their heads.

That's why folks who are 'in the know' must fulfill the role of "stewards of the flame," if you will excuse the poetic speech. We must gather and guard the knowledge of spiritual evolution, agricultural efficiency, environmental sustainability, and social harmony, and carefully pass this knowledge from generation to generation. Sooner of later humanity is going to be forced to turn to these more sustainable lifepaths and we must make sure this knowledge and technologies are available or else humanity evolves into an unfortunate abomination.

Oh and Blasto, you have my vote ... when do you run for office? ;)

The coup is on its way!!

Stig, I was driving down Topanga Cyn. Blvd yesterday behind a mini cooper with the GB tag and Calif. license plates that read "UK STIG." That wouldn't have been you, would it? Loyola Conference.

I rewatched "The Day the Earth Stood Still" with Keanu Reeves the other day. I loved the movie. The philosophical point of the flick was that the human race would only evolve once their backs were up against the wall, just as you guys said.

Could be true, eh?

The coup is on its way!!

Stig, I was driving down Topanga Cyn. Blvd yesterday behind a mini cooper with the GB tag and Calif. license plates that read "UK STIG." That wouldn't have been you, would it? Loyola Conference.

I rewatched "The Day the Earth Stood Still" with Keanu Reeves the other day. I loved the movie. The philosophical point of the flick was that the human race would only evolve once their backs were up against the wall, just as you guys said.

Could be true, eh?

LOL not unless my double is out there playing tricks again ;)

There's an old saying: People wont change what they are doing until the pain of staying the same far outweighs the pain of changing. I personally don't think people will make the changes outlined here until they really start feeling the pain.

LOL not unless my double is out there playing tricks again ;)

There's an old saying: People wont change what they are doing until the pain of staying the same far outweighs the pain of changing. I personally don't think people will make the changes outlined here until they really start feeling the pain.

I think you have the right of it. But it is so unfortunate that it has to be that way. I have tried envisioning an earth where everything is as we said. But what I have seen in visions is not pretty and downright heartbreaking. Sometimes things have to be broken down entirely before building anew. And yet I still want to hold onto the FACT that it doesn't HAVE to be that way. Freedom of choice in Powerful Spiritual Beings of Light can be an awesome thing, if directed in harmony.

Their reply was no after they gave me an incredulous "What? I have to pick them?" look. So I decided rather than let them go to waste I picked them and took them to another neighbor and offered them. They replied the kids wouldn't eat them unless they were out of a can after they gave me a "What? I have to shell them?" look. I finally took them to an older lady who graciously said thank you and acted proud to get FRESH peas.

The younger generation in our country knows nothing of these things and I haven't seen education work at all. I have finally gotten somewhat cynical and believe change will only happen when forced.

Well, the education has been working...you just have to consider who is doing the educating and what they're teaching. :ninja:

The goal has been to make us increasingly dependent on the grid and decreasingly self-reliant. The CFR uses liberals to support endless Socialized welfare programs & neocons to back corporate mad scientists. And most people are too afraid of peer pressure to fight these agendas. But if nobody stands up against them...then they'll just steamroll over us & brainwash your kids.

Why are kids now all a bunch of self-absorbed, self-entitling overconsumers? BECAUSE NO ONE STOOD UP AGAINST THE LIBERALS WHO CREATED THEM THAT WAY. NOBODY WANTED TO BE THE "BAD COP" TO PREACH RESPONSIBILITY & SUSTAINABILITY. Everyone wanted to be the "cool, progressive" guy who just said "anything goes."

My parents never stood up for my rights. I don't blame them - because they were just immigrants happy to have more than in the wartorn, Commie country they fled. But I realize now that the future unborn rely upon US NOW to secure their future for them. These are the ones that politicians don't care about because they can't vote...and many aren't even born yet. These are the silent majority with no voice. But who will inherit our mess & pay for our sins. Unless we start acting & sacrificing for their welfare too, not just our own.

Edited by vortex

Well, the education has been working...you just have to consider who is doing the educating and what they're teaching. :ninja:

The goal has been to make us increasingly dependent on the grid and decreasingly self-reliant. The CFR uses liberals to support endless Socialized welfare programs & neocons to back corporate mad scientists. And most people are too afraid of peer pressure to fight these agendas. But if nobody stands up against them...then they'll just steamroll over us & brainwash your kids.

Why are kids now all a bunch of self-absorbed, self-entitling overconsumers? BECAUSE NO ONE STOOD UP AGAINST THE LIBERALS WHO CREATED THEM THAT WAY. NOBODY WANTED TO BE THE "BAD COP" TO PREACH RESPONSIBILITY & SUSTAINABILITY. Everyone wanted to be the "cool, progressive" guy who just said "anything goes."

My parents never stood up for my rights. I don't blame them - because they were just immigrants happy to have more than in the wartorn, Commie country they fled. But I realize now that the future unborn rely upon US NOW to secure their future for them. These are the ones that politicians don't care about because they can't vote...and many aren't even born yet. These are the silent majority with no voice. But who will inherit our mess & pay for our sins. Unless we start acting & sacrificing for their welfare too, not just our own.

Oh, man. :blink:

Best writings I've read on the sort of topics this thread is hovering around are by Wendell Berry. Any of his books of essays (I don't care for his novels much).

It's all interwoven: endless greed at the top, laziness at the bottom. Obviously, the part that we have direct power over is what we do. Live simply, close to the land, energy efficient, etc.

- Trunk

I have heard the CFR conspiracy for decades, yet, see no proof of mass manipulation on their part. If and only if there is mass hypnotic consumer manipulation on their part, then posit direct evidence. Otherwise, you are just using conspiracy theories to rest your arguments on.

One of the problems with the educational system in the U.S. is the lack of training students how to develop critical thinking skills. Instead, there is a mass psychology of groupthink being driven by fear and the corporate media. To blame liberals is ludicrous. I suggest you read up on the latest Texas School Board rulings.

Narrowing your arguments to one group (kids) being "self-absorbed, self-entitling overconsumers" as somehow separate from a nation that is in general plagued by overconsumption, misses the point and places the blame of overconsumption on a few. Then you equate being progressive with being "cool". A lot of marketing hype that claims to be cool, progressive and green, is just that, hype! Your greenbacks are what corporations are interested in!

Has anyone noticed the media calling the Gulf disaster a "spill". This is a classic re-framing tool used by propagandists to change how masses view an event. Karl Rove and Frank Luntz are masters at re-framing and may be propagating this misinformation.

ralis

Edited by ralis