Encephalon

If I could start over...

Hmmm.. Seems like the people that put in the effort are satisfied...

You tried it? Liked it?

They have a high dropout rate so without effort you won't get much/anything.

Pmemory is good to learn mnemonic if you aren't the typ who learns from books by himself. For me mnemonics are just a tool that has to be used every time you want to remember something with the aid of a structure. The more one trains it/uses it the better he gets. So it has advantages and disadvantages.

If that sounds like something for you I would either go for pmemory or train with some hundred figurative cards daily until a certain speed has been reached where you start using certain structures to organize the things you are interested to remember.

Edited by center888

Perhaps this should be "run with better form". Our species evolved running, even today, barefoot runners (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarahumara) run a LOT without the knee or foot problems that our society blames running for. Running, done properly, as nature intended, should not be a high impact "bone on bone" exercise.

This presumes that biomechanical integrity is evenly distributed amongst the population. It ain't. My skeletal system has always been my weak link; I've got osteoarthritis (wear and tear) throughout my body. But I'm sure that running DOWN Colorado mountain trails was the source of most of the damage.

This presumes that biomechanical integrity is evenly distributed amongst the population. It ain't. My skeletal system has always been my weak link; I've got osteoarthritis (wear and tear) throughout my body. But I'm sure that running DOWN Colorado mountain trails was the source of most of the damage.

The last time I was in USA, one of my Chinese Girlfriends asked me to pick up a bottle of Glucosamine Sulfate for her father who also ran the hills in Hong Kong and had developed osteoarthritis from it.

It worked for him at 70 years old.

A webpage on Glucosamine: http://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=na...bc98e855efb0156

Blasto,

i have a proposition: make others your age talk and share their views. you guys may help us youngsters alot...

The question: What would you change if you could turn back ten years ago?

Any answer that can be extrapolated to most cases, is pure gold...

Thanks for the effort

L1

There are, of course, exceptions to every rule. Some people simply cannot run without pain/damage because of genetic problems (ex. a woman who has the same joint deformity as her father, neither of them can do certain exercises without problems). But, there again, as you point out, the problem is the other ailment. IN your case, osteoarthritis, which could be exacerbated by certain exercises, but is most likely genetic. Over the general population though, running with good form would solve many health problems. So, in a list that people are generalizing, the correction is still valid, even if your inherited "weak link" makes it possibly less applicable to you (and only "possibly" because it is possible that "bad form" in your running worsened the inflammation, not running itself).

t

Make sure that you get in exercise so that you can better recruit the hamstring/butt/lower back muscles. I've had "overuse" riding a bike for an hour to an hour and a half a day. Working the muscles in the hamstrings, butt, and lower back prevents the "overuse". Don't get rid of the running totally. The sprint/jog/sprint/jog routine for 5 to 10 minutes is still good.

Once you're in bone-on-bone state, no running is indicated. I do kettlebell swings for the posterior chain for strenth, flexibilty and cardio.

Glucosamine is great for the pre-bone-on-bone state but once you're there, it offers little help. The goal is to be preventive as early as you can, not to give in to endorphine addiction like I did when I was young and restless!

Blasto,

i have a proposition: make others your age talk and share their views. you guys may help us youngsters alot...

The question: What would you change if you could turn back ten years ago?

Any answer that can be extrapolated to most cases, is pure gold...

Thanks for the effort

L1

I don't know what I could do to make others participate. I'm sure a general invitation will work, at least in this forum. The only thing that I would add to my list already is to reemphasize the benefits of an inversion table.

I would also invest in this product and use it three times a week - http://www.neilmed.com/usa/products.php

In addition to downloading binaural beat technology, I'd check out a copy of this and put it on your ipod.

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Leadership-Timel...4410&sr=1-2

Honestly, for young people today, I hope you check out my signature links. The world we are about to enter is going to be absolutely unbearable for those who cannot adapt. Build your post-industrial skill set, start your medical chi kung training NOW, find a community to live in - www.ic.org - and don't fool yourself into thinking that suburban consumer bliss ain't coming to an end. Once the commerical real estate bubble bursts, by April or May of this year, possibly coinciding with a return to $100/barrel oil, the party will be over for millions more. Serious Taoists will find the coming era full of opportunities for self-mastery.

Nursing is good for travel but is not good for health. Hospitals have the MDR (Multiple Drug Resistant) strains of TB, Staff, AIDS, as well as many without names yet- that don't work well with a future. 30% of hospital beds are drug addicts, in the 1990's 10% were HIV.

Please watch this:

Deconstructing the Myth of AIDS

Blasto--

Man, thanks again for this great post. Im about top graduate this May from Nursing school:-)

~jk~ I know all about the Nursing scenario. It can be pretty dismal, but since I can't just exist in the world, what with the taxes, land ownership on much hunting land, etc.....gotta do something for money..

Blasto--could you please elaborate on these points?

Build your post-industrial skill set,

Meaning what? Please give me your input.

start your medical chi kung training NOW,

Any particular books, while I am still going to school and can't seek a teacher, travel for lessons, etc?

find a community to live in - www.ic.org -

Interesting website ;-)

and don't fool yourself into thinking that suburban consumer bliss ain't coming to an end.

Timeline?

Also, can you share any predictions about what will continue and what will end in the near future? Like electronics, police, jobs, etc..global, or just America? I predict solar flares, and the current weather craziness makes me feel that its starting...something anyway...or that its arriving...having started when time began..

We have had small earthquakes in my area, and I woke up in the middle of the night a several nites ago, and felt something--like a disturbance or some sort, I thought maybe an earth quake or electromagnetic fluctuation..not sure how to explain...I got this brief thrill/shock, like when your defenses go up-when you are startled, or you hear a certain noise in the dark. I just laid in bed a while and went back to sleep..Anyhow, a few days later, I found out there had been some small earthquakes within a few hundred miles. Weird, because I felt no tremors, just something sweeping through, and there were no sounds--just a sense..I guess I'm able to perceive more than some, but surely less than others.

Edited by everseeking

Blasto,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I would like to ask 3 questions, if possible:

How many years did you run?

1984-1988, then 1992-1998. Much of it was in Summit County, CO 10,000 feet, mountain trails that destroy knees, especially downhill.

How many miles per week did you run?

30-40. As you know, injuries go up dramatically past 20.

Did you do any weight training during that running period?

Body weight, calisthenics, lots of stretching, some yoga.

I have been running very much about 20-30 mi/wk.

You'll probably stay injury-free then. Get checked by a podiatrist, preferrably one who also runs.

Kindest,

I'm honored that you asked!

Regards,

B

Blasto--

Man, thanks again for this great post. Im about top graduate this May from Nursing school:-)

~jk~ I know all about the Nursing scenario. It can be pretty dismal, but since I can't just exist in the world, what with the taxes, land ownership on much hunting land, etc.....gotta do something for money..

Blasto--could you please elaborate on these points?

Build your post-industrial skill set,

Meaning what? Please give me your input.

For one hell of a fun and informative read, go for "The Long Emergency" by James Kunstler. It's a breakdown of how the social and economic contraction will effect N. America by region. It also gives a pretty good description of the kind of skill sets you'll need to survive. Basically, pre-1850s technology, barring solar, or "green" tech that may still be available. Carpentry, animal husbandry, any medical skills, gardening, hunting, food preservation, and of course, self-defense. Kunstler is something of a hero amongst the urban geography/urban studies camp. He's ultimately an optimist, in that people with skills will find life far more meaningful and creative than a consumer culture could ever yield.

My own skill set in the making, since I'll probably not be a geography professor, is medical chi kung, gardening, cooking, deer-hunting, guitar pickin', and I may dust off my old medical asst. skills and take some EMT classes.

start your medical chi kung training NOW,

Any particular books, while I am still going to school and can't seek a teacher, travel for lessons, etc?

I just bought the SFQ Fundamentals, but to get your chi flow up to speed in a fairly short amount of time, I've been championing "The Book of Nei Kung" by Master Chu.

find a community to live in - www.ic.org -

Interesting website ;-)

and don't fool yourself into thinking that suburban consumer bliss ain't coming to an end.

Timeline?

If the federal government doesn't collapse under it's debt burden by 2016, it will still be a very difficult life ahead for most Americans.

Also, can you share any predictions about what will continue and what will end in the near future? Like electronics, police, jobs, etc..global, or just America? I predict solar flares, and the current weather craziness makes me feel that its starting...something anyway...or that its arriving...having started when time began..

We have had small earthquakes in my area, and I woke up in the middle of the night a several nites ago, and felt something--like a disturbance or some sort, I thought maybe an earth quake or electromagnetic fluctuation..not sure how to explain...I got this brief thrill/shock, like when your defenses go up-when you are startled, or you hear a certain noise in the dark. I just laid in bed a while and went back to sleep..Anyhow, a few days later, I found out there had been some small earthquakes within a few hundred miles. Weird, because I felt no tremors, just something sweeping through, and there were no sounds--just a sense..I guess I'm able to perceive more than some, but surely less than others.

Add the "Life after the Oil Crash" link below to your favorites and check it once a week. I can't go on record with answers like the ones you're asking. Best of luck to all of us. Taoists have always been admired for their fierce self-sufficiency and independence. They will survive.

Edited by Blasto

LOL. They will ask you to chuck in the bin all those books.

You regularly conflate two different processes and goals, one being the authentic experience of insight which can only come from meditation, and scholarship, which requires formal studies but makes no claim to be a legitimate substitute for meditation. Why do you continue to make this error? Could it be that you have no formal background in Asian Studies besides your own meditation practice? Or are you simply unaware that Asian philosophy is a formal academic study in its own right? Either way, it seems to be an awfully big oversight for someone presumptuous enough to offer free meditation advice.

Blasto;

Thank you for your responss and the links under your signature.

Running has a posture too, same as standing and sitting. One hopes not to get injuries by keeping good postures. Dr. Bookspan has a website for fixing bad postures. Some of us may want to visit it.

http://www.drbookspan.com/clinical.html

If one agrees with Blasto on this and doesn't have money yet, or one would like to check his/her core, he/she can try this:

http://www.healthline.com/blogs/exercise_fitness/2006/12/quick-and-fun-arm-and-body.html

I feel that we need more time for sitting Meditation (I understand that you have 20-45 mins of daily standing Meditation). Two weeks of Vipassana per year may not be enough.

Have a good weekend!

Best,

I hope you guys didn't think that I was suggesting one two-week long Vipassana retreat per year in lieu of daily meditation. The whole purpose of retreats is to deepen your practice, not cram it into one event.

Also, the inversion tables come pretty cheap these days, at least on Ebay and Amazon.

You regularly conflate two different processes and goals, one being the authentic experience of insight which can only come from meditation, and scholarship, which requires formal studies but makes no claim to be a legitimate substitute for meditation. Why do you continue to make this error? Could it be that you have no formal background in Asian Studies besides your own meditation practice? Or are you simply unaware that Asian philosophy is a formal academic study in its own right? Either way, it seems to be an awfully big oversight for someone presumptuous enough to offer free meditation advice.

You should start looking at your ego before anything else. When I made that comment is to show you that no books can match real first-hand experience. A quality Vipassana retreat will show you that.

You should start looking at your ego before anything else. When I made that comment is to show you that no books can match real first-hand experience. A quality Vipassana retreat will show you that.

Fine. I'll investigate my ego, providing that you consider the simple point that I made, which is that scholarship and formal study are not in competition with meditation as a means to first-hand experience. But you consistently imply that this is the point that I am making, while disparaging scholarship. Do you honestly expect me to believe that the Vipassana tradition is going to tell anyone to throw away their academic studies?

Edited by Blasto