Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Sifu Terry,

Thank you for your detailed explanation about the importance of covering the entire FFCH system to receive its maximum benefits. Due to time restraints I am able to practice @ 1 hr. daily - only early in the evening - I have to admit, I was looking for a little short cut.. Oh well I'll just keep plugging along!

Callanish

I practiced the Long Form Standing Meditation (taught Vol.4) twice at very, very slow speed.

90 80 60 30 40 5 50 10 goes the percentage breath control sequence.

Some confusion regarding this breathing sequence. Is the breathing sequence suppose to be 90 60 5 50 40, or is this a different sequence applicable to this form?

• Like 4

Some confusion regarding this breathing sequence. Is the breathing sequence suppose to be 90 60 5 50 40, or is this a different sequence applicable to this form?

Hi Rob (and John),

The breathing sequence for the Long Form Standing Med. on Volume 4 is: 90 60 5 40 30.

I just reviewed my notes and the Volume 4DVD.

Best,

Sifu Terry

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

The breathing sequence for the Long Form Standing Med. on Volume 4 is: 90 80 60 30 40 5 50 10

It's been a long time since I looked at it, but I hope that is what I put on the DVD!

Hi Sify Terry,

First of all, I wish you a Happy New Year for 2015!

Second, I have just checked the DVD vol 4, and the breathing sequence you give in this DVD is 90 60 5 50 40... :excl:

Hope it helps

Best regards

• Like 4

I do the long form twice a day with the breathing percentage on the DVD 90 60 5 50 40. So it would be nice to clear this up because as earler mentioned that doing the breating right is very important.

• Like 1

DVD 1

The exercises are presented in a different order:

Here:

1) Monk Holding Pearl

2) Monk Gazing at Moon

3) Monk Holding Peach

4) Bending the Bows

5) Wind Above the Clouds

DVD:

1) Monk Gazing at Moon

2) Bending the Bows

3) Monk Holding Peach

4) Monk Holding Pearl

5) Wind Above the Clouds

Bending the Bows has a different breathing sequence:

Here:

70 50 40 30

DVD:

70 50 40 30 10

• Like 2

DVD 2

Here:

1) warm-up med #1: 50, 30, 10

2) warm-up med #2: 50, 10, 50

3) warm-up med #3: 5, 60, 80, 40, 30

4) Monk Serves Wine #1

5) Monk Serves Wine #2

6) Monk Serves Wine #3

DVD:

1) warm-up med 5, 60, 80, 40, 30

2) warm-up med 50, 30, 10

3) warm-up med 50, 10, 50

4) Monk Serves Wine #1

5) Monk Serves Wine #2

6) Monk Serves Wine #3

MSW1 has a different breathing sequence:

Here:

80 50 40 30 10

DVD:

90 50 40 30 10

• Like 2

Thank you Pitisukha for all this work. Time to ask Sifu Terry Dunn to post all the breathings here again. I remember that the way the meditations has to be done (on DVD) the exact way is GM Doo Wai learned it to his students.

• Like 1

DVD 5

Here:

1) Dragon Emerges from Cave 90 80 30 50 40

2) Lift the Earth to Heaven 80 40 50 20 10

3) Phoenix and Dragon Play 90 50 40 20

4) White Crane Folds Wings 70 40 30 20

5) Preparation for Eight Sections Combined 80 70 50 40 30

DVD:

1) White Crane Folds Wings 70 40 30 20

2) Phoenix and Dragon Play 90 50 40 20

3) Lift the Earth to Heaven 80 40 50 20 10

4) Dragon Emerges from Cave 90 80 30 50 40

5) Preparation for Eight Sections Combined 80 70 50 40 30

DVD 7

This is here for reference and of course for breathing sequences confirmation by Sifu Terry

1) 50 20 10

2) 80 70 50 30

3) 70 50 20 10

4) 60 70 40 5

5) 20 40 90 10

Thank you Pitisukha for all this work. Time to ask Sifu Terry Dunn to post all the breathings here again. I remember that the way the meditations has to be done (on DVD) the exact way is GM Doo Wai learned it to his students.

That's correct yet it always felt to me more like a safety warning for beginners than absolute rule. Similar to breath holding, it's said that 'There is no retention in beginning levels of the FP system.' yet once one progresses (my own wording) retention (to count up to 100% each time) adds to the effect of each breath control sequence.

The percentages are 'translated' I believe was the word used, it's a generalization already and not an absolutely exact representation of original, and in that light the difference eg. between 80 50 40 30 10 and 90 50 40 30 10 would be next to none.

Only the difference in Long Form seems more significant, though the breathing pattern still kind of matches.

It's not publicly known what the breathing system is based on, so one can only guess, but in case the breathing patterns possibly might be even partially based on anatomy (eg. organ location), that could lend it further flexibility since each human being has slightly different anatomy (even energetic anatomy) in terms of measurement (eg. head vs body %, or upper vs. lower body %) and placement.

Safety belts vs 'IT'?

(Just thinking out loud, I have merely scratched the surface of the system myself ...)

Edited by Leif

What is your advice for the long form. Using the information on the DVD or what is presented here. I start next monday with skype lessons Vol 3 and 4. So a good advice is very welcome.

thank you in advanced (sorry for the bad English)

John

Looks like some simple amendments need to be applied to the original, http://thetaobums.com/topic/12639-flying-phoenix-chi-kung/page-9#entry180930, post, however, what informative compile of the five volumes.

Even though there are some discrepancies on some matters, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Sifu Terry for sharing his knowledge and experience with us. Thank-you very much for your time Sifu Terry.

• Like 2

As a point of interest (to anyone that may be interested) I just finished a session with Eric Isen, the medical intuitive that has been referenced in this thread a number of times. I gave him an extremely long list of practices and systems to test for benfits on me. Only three practices showed as having extreme benefits for my goals. Flying Phoenix Chi Kung was one of the highest-rated systems for me by far.

Flying Phoenix appears to be synergistic with Taijiquan generally speaking from what I've been able to glean in reading this thread.. Does anyone know if it would be complementary with Chen-style Taijiquan in partcular and with Yin-style Baguazhang?

• Like 2

As a matter of fact, I also had a medical intuitive session with Eric a few days ago, which was very nice and insightful for me (unfortunately my suspicion about being gluten sensitive was correct...). I also let him test Flying Phoenix Chi Kung for me and he tested it also very good for me, spiritually as well as physically.

Sifu Terry, can you recommend specific FP exercises which affect/open the solar plexus and heart chakra?

I have the feeling that "Monk holding peach" would be working on these, is that correct?

Thank you, and a happy new year to you all!

Julian

Hi Sifu Terry ;)

Just starting to put serious effort into my practice ,

here is my schedule

Morning

Monk moon 5 mins

Monk peach 10 mins

Monk pearl 10 mins

Bending bows- working up to 18 reps

vol 2 arm raises 5 raises

vol 2 static 15/20 mins

monk pearl sitting 15 mins

Short break

vol 2 - 3 monk serves wine , 7 reps each

Long form once through as I continue to learn it.

evening

Monk moon 5 mins

Monk peach 10 mins

Monk pearl 10 mins

Vol 7 first 3 monk serves wine 7 reps each

Also , I was wondering , once I have established a strong foundation in FP would it be ok to do FP in the morning and SYG in the evening ?

Many thanks

:)