Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

On November 18 I had a Skype session with Sifu Terry Dunn teaching me the Taoist Elixir Method. It was an honor and a thrill for me to be able to interact with a master whom I have admired for quite awhile. Sifu Terry is down to earth and he made me feel at ease immediately as he teaches in a gentle and patient manner. His senses are acute which result in receiving corrective feedback which makes everything go just that much better. You just come away from that experience smiling on the outside and from the inside. Quite the experience which I look forward to repeating in one week for my second session. If any of you have thought about having a session with this master, I would not hesitate to jump at the opportunity. You will be glad that you did.

Steve:

Thank you very much for your kind words. It was a pleasure to teach you "Circling Palms", the first and most seminal exercise of the Tao Tan Pai 31 Basic Neikung exercises...and to watch you develop proficiency in it relatively fast from doing 4 rounds of 8 repetitions over the course of the 90 minutes. (As Sifu Garry Hearfield put it with regards to all styles of Qigong, "slow and steady attains the prize.")

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

• Like 1

To answer Ronko's question as to how I experienced Taoist Elixir Method. Like learning any new chi kung method I am getting the movements down so my mind is very active so the body is not relaxed like it is once everything is memorized. But in spite of this normal learning curve I felt relaxed after the first session, not really wanting to speak or think, just sensing strong chi gathered in the hands. It will take some getting used to doing this movement while in the low horse stance. And then to watch Sifu Terry do the movement in this effortless, smooth flowing style was really something to behold. I have been told by my medical intuitive that doing this TTP will be better than doing any of my other chi kung methods.

• Like 3

two days absence from practice ... travel yesterday recovery today

my age is catching up with me ... although I did play with my grandson for almost 2 hours today so does that count as practice of qi gong ... imho sort of LOL

• Like 1

A little update on my practice. As I get back into FP, I have changed my practice from a PM practice before to an AM practice. You always have time for why you do first. Second, I have been sticking to the basic meditations as I get back in to the practice. The basics are quite powerful, and the key to progress is to practice consistently. About a week ago, I added "the Sleeper" however my body is still adapting to it.

BTW Charlie, chasing grandchildren isn't qigong....its aerobics. ;-)

• Like 2

I have been following this forum and practicing FP for some time ( a few years). Just got volume 7 a few weeks ago. Really like the forms and the energy. I don't get the "sleeper" result from the 50 20 10 one though. In fact, quite the opposite. I dream (lucid dreams) a lot. I may be sleeping, but staying aware while sleeping is something I wasn't prepared for .

It reminds me of the results of one of the meditation techniques in Evan Wentz's Tibetan Practices book.

ridingtheox is an inspiration btw.

Much thanks to Terry Dunn and everyone who has provided their experiences over the life of this forum. Really cleared up some things for me.

• Like 1

I hope you don't give up on the Sleeper. I have dozed off a number of times before even completing the entire number of reps for it. I have really deep sleep from it. And the slower than slow pace that you do it, the stronger the energy from it. It eventually feels like your hands are pushing thru a cushion of thick air, there is noticeable resistance. The problem with that slowness is I also am eager to get to sleep on time so I don't want to spend that long doing it, so it is a trade off. A more disciplined man would just go to bed earlier and that way he could take his time doing the Sleeper.

• Like 1

yes, I have gotten the feeling of something around me, just don't sleep well after this one. Maybe this works differently on me for some reason. My guess is that each person needs something specific to them and the energy flows in accordance to that need. Kind of like an electron falling into a different shell around a nucleus.

or maybe I just need to move a bit slower :D

• Like 1

That sounds like a good question for Sifu Terry to answer, why someone would not be able to fall asleep easily after doing the Sleeper. I would wonder if these sleep problems also happened before trying Sleeper?

Sleep issues? Oh yes. Many years of shift work and military training will do that. But I am way better than I used to be. FP and other methods have helped a lot.

I always feel better after practicing.

tao stillness...do you follow up the sleeper with another meditation or maybe perform a different one first? I read some time back that Sifu Terry recommended everyone do the first warm up . I've been working on that and I believe it has made a difference.

In any case thanks for the input and I will continue to practice and follow this discussion..

.....any tips are welcome

• Like 1

I have always managed to find time to do 2 FP meds per day regardless of what else I do. That will always be the case I hope.

And, Steve, if you make one of these two daily FP meditations the Standing Long Form Standing Meditation of Volume 4, the capstone of the FP Qigong system that goes by the same name, "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation", you will have no problems whatsoever manifesting supreme good health and spiritual growth. Just ask "ridingthrox" (Charlie) in NE Arizona!

Best,

Sifu Terry

• Like 3

To the FP Qigong community:

After teaching a fun and dynamic Qigong class to 18 students tonight--one in which I taught one hour of (some of) the Tao Tan Pai Basic 31 Qigong exercises ("Cloud Hands") and one hour of Flying Phoenix Qigong, and taught the basics of energy healing using TTP methods, I was inspired to elaborate further about the qualities of the Flying Phoenix Healing Energy and its manifestion on/to some practitioners as a blue aura/blue light--in response to Dr. Rene Salazar's questions posted a few days back (Post #3090) by posting an excerpt from my copyrighted manuscript titled "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Qi Meditations of Ehrmeishan" (the paragraph in bold below in answer to Rene's two questions):

Q: 1. Once the blue light starts to accumulate, are there any other signposts to look out for besides this light possibly showing up on video? Would this light show up better is we use a thermal camera, even though this is more subtle than mere heat?

A: The blue light is the concentrated Flying Phoenix Healing Energy--i.e. concentrated past a certain threshold where it becomes visible in one's aura. The observable blue light is indicates that the FP Healing Energy has been generated, established, cultivated, and concentrated to a certain level throughout one's body--and most importantly, that one's energy body and consciousness has become consecrated. At whatever such time that one is able to see one's aura as a fluorescent-like blue internally, in a mirrored image of oneself, and on a video recording of one's meditation, one's health, vitality, will be at a highly developed level (which I've described as subsuming a state of allostasis), that there also exists the tangible superabundance of the FP energy and the certain knowledge that it is always accessible for healing purposes.

• No, I don't believe that it matters that one uses a thermal camera to record visible images of the blue light. The videotape that I used in 1991 that first captured the blue aura and blue light phenomena around Grandmaster Doo Wai was SVHS. Remember that ancient format?

[Also, in anticipation of requests by beginning FP practitioners and other enthusiasts, as well as skeptics, I will state here and now that I will NOT post on the internet any of the 1991 and later video footage of GM Doo Wai's visibly blue aura or that of anyone else's--because the ensuing debate will only be a waste of time and energy and distract one from the business of furthering one's practice.

• Oddly enough, unlike other healing energies associated with Kundalini yogas, the Flying Phoenix Healing Energy, is not a heat energy. Naturally and obviously not because its frequency is blue on spectrum. Every time I have experienced it, it occurred as having a neutral and unnoticeable temperature.

**To all FP Practitioners: Please chime in with accounts your experiences of the FP energy as to its temperature if you've experience it.**

• It is not my custom nor intent to disclose the "signposts" or benchmarks of the Flying Phoenix Qigong's healing energy becoming visible in one's aura (on video) because doing so will take away some of the exuberant joy and natural elation that comes with the surprise when it happens. But I have described the conditions accompanying its onset the best that I can. I will also foreshadow this: When the visible blue aura manifests, one will also at some point be able to "see" the blue light internally during one's closed-eyes meditation. Besides one's own ability to see it, other people--and not even necessarily other FP practitioners--will sometimes see a FP Practitioner's internal and/or the auric blue light when they come into close proximity.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

To the FP Qigong community:

After teaching a fun and dynamic Qigong class to 18 students tonight--one in which I taught one hour of (some of) the Tao Tan Pai Basic 31 Qigong exercises ("Cloud Hands") and one hour of Flying Phoenix Qigong, and taught the basics of energy healing using TTP methods, I was inspired to elaborate further about the qualities of the Flying Phoenix Healing Energy and its manifestion on/to some practitioners as a blue aura/blue light--in response to Dr. Rene Salazar's questions posted a few days back (Post #3090) by posting an excerpt from my copyrighted manuscript titled "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Qi Meditations of Ehrmeishan" (the paragraph in bold below in answer to Rene's two questions):

Q: 1. Once the blue light starts to accumulate, are there any other signposts to look out for besides this light possibly showing up on video? Would this light show up better is we use a thermal camera, even though this is more subtle than mere heat?

A: The blue light is the concentrated Flying Phoenix Healing Energy--i.e. concentrated past a certain threshold where it becomes visible in one's aura. The observable blue light is indicates that the FP Healing Energy has been generated, established, cultivated, and concentrated to a certain level throughout one's body--and most importantly, that one's energy body and consciousness has become consecrated. At whatever such time that one is able to see one's aura as a fluorescent-like blue internally, in a mirrored image of oneself, and on a video recording of one's meditation, one's health, vitality, will be at a highly developed level (which I've described as subsuming a state of allostasis), that there also exists the tangible superabundance of the FP energy and the certain knowledge that it is always accessible for healing purposes.

• No, I don't believe that it matters that one uses a thermal camera to record visible images of the blue light. The videotape that I used in 1991 that first captured the blue aura and blue light phenomena around Grandmaster Doo Wai was SVHS. Remember that ancient format?

[Also, in anticipation of requests by beginning FP practitioners and other enthusiasts, as well as skeptics, I will state here and now that I will NOT post on the internet any of the 1991 and later video footage of GM Doo Wai's visibly blue aura or that of anyone else's--because the ensuing debate will only be a waste of time and energy and distract one from the business of furthering one's practice.

• Oddly enough, unlike other healing energies associated with Kundalini yogas, the Flying Phoenix Healing Energy, is not a heat energy. Naturally and obviously not because its frequency is blue on spectrum. Every time I have experienced it, it occurred as having a neutral and unnoticeable temperature.

**To all FP Practitioners: Please chime in with accounts your experiences of the FP energy as to its temperature if you've experience it.**

• It is not my custom nor intent to disclose the "signposts" or benchmarks of the Flying Phoenix Qigong's healing energy becoming visible in one's aura (on video) because doing so will take away some of the exuberant joy and natural elation that comes with the surprise when it happens. But I have described the conditions accompanying its onset the best that I can. I will also foreshadow this: When the visible blue aura manifests, one will also at some point be able to "see" the blue light internally during one's closed-eyes meditation. Besides one's own ability to see it, other people--and not even necessarily other FP practitioners--will sometimes see a FP Practitioner's internal and/or the auric blue light when they come into close proximity.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Very Inspiring Sifu Terry, as always love reading your comments and thoughts :)

I have not been able to practice much in the last 6 months due to having had issues with my lower back and other distractions we have in life sometimes. Finally after a lot of work and changes my back is starting to feel great again and I'm able to start and hopefully continue for the rest of my life with FPQG. Very excited to get back on track and work my way up to the more advanced forms.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. It's so nice to have a place for everyone to share and learn.

Happy practicing everyone :)

Ben

Edited by zenyogi
  • Like 2

I started with the Long Form. 4. I have done this in the past but it did not work because I have not built up a good foundation. Now, after four months of intensive training, I notice without the breathing sequence and only move part 1 and 2, the circulation of energy. Until now, this experience most strongly with the Bending Bows and the Long Form

Thank you all for the interesting information.

• Like 2

Hi Sifu Terry,

I find your last part especially interesting, since for the last weeks I have some dietary problems, too and I didn't know that it could be related to FPCK. Right now, I am trying to eat gluten free food, because I experienced several bad symptoms before... While practicing the standing meds I sometimes experience "sounds"/bubbles coming from my stomach/Intestines area. So maybe there are some blockages which are worked on.

And, maybe this has already been answered somewhere, but when do I know that I can start to practice the DVD4 Long Form? I have been practicing FPCK for nearly one year every day (around 20 to 40 minutes per day).

Thank you very much,

greetings,

Julian

Hello Julian,

Sorry for taking a few days to answer your questions. I just got back to answering questions today after a very busy week.

My statement that you found interesting and relevant was that after practicing FP Qigong properly for a good number of months --and certainly when one has gotten into advanced practice spanning several years-- (unless one is already following a very pure and wholesome diet) one naturally starts to avoid certain foods that are have become "disagreeable" to one's digestion and health. This happened 3 weekends ago right after I taught a super-slow practice session of the Standing Long Form FP Meditation (on vol.4) and I decided to go for an unusual food that I go for on occasion and had always enjoyed. Well, no enjoyment possible after Long Form FP--but rather an immediate EEEEEEWW!

Not only does one then automatically avoid foods that are not wholesome enough (such as processed foods), one also finds that one needs to eat less.

Answer to your second question: Yes, you can start on any of the FP Meditations on Volume 1 through 5 at any time--just so long as you cover all of the material contained in them. As seen on this thread, "ridingthrox" (Charlie the rancher in NE Arizona) because he had 20+ years of Tai Chi experience, jumped right into Vol.4's Long Form Standing Meditation and has been "running wild" with practicing it every since! Then he went back and did the more basic ones in Volumes 1, 2, and 3. I presented the FP system in the order in which I was taught the system by GM Doo Wai. You don't have to follow the same order so long as you cover all the material and get it established.

Hope this clarifies. Go get 'em!

Sifu Terry Dunn

I started with the Long Form. 4. I have done this in the past but it did not work because I have not built up a good foundation. Now, after four months of intensive training, I notice without the breathing sequence and only move part 1 and 2, the circulation of energy. Until now, this experience most strongly with the Bending Bows and the Long Form

Thank you all for the interesting information.

Hello John,

I'm glad that you found that four months of training in the foundational FP exercises have prepared you to the point where you're now ready to practice the Standing FP Long Form of Vol.4. Four months sounds just about right for an aikido practitioner such as yourself!

Enjoy your practice and feel free to contact me here or through PM if you have training questions.

Best,

Sifu Terry

P.S. As stated in an above reply to "Joolian", only Charlie ("ridingthrox" because he had 20 yrs of Tai Chi practice) has been able to jump straight to Vol.4 and derive immediate benefits. So for most beginning practitioners out there, especially if you do not have a strong background in Chinese internal martial arts, learn the FP Qigong system in the order as they are presented in the Chi Kung For Health DVD series.

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Sleep issues? Oh yes. Many years of shift work and military training will do that. But I am way better than I used to be. FP and other methods have helped a lot.

I always feel better after practicing.

tao stillness...do you follow up the sleeper with another meditation or maybe perform a different one first? I read some time back that Sifu Terry recommended everyone do the first warm up . I've been working on that and I believe it has made a difference.

In any case thanks for the input and I will continue to practice and follow this discussion..

.....any tips are welcome

Hi TF:

Quite tips for better sleep and utilization of the sleeper (50 20 10) Monk Serves Wine Meditation:

Do these not necessarily all in sequence before you sleep, but try each one or any combination of them prior to sleeping.

A. Vol.1's "Monk Holding Pearl Meditation" (50 40 30 20 10) in supine position just before you go to sleep.

B. The second Monk Serves Wine seated meditation on Volume 2 with breathing 50 40 30 10 and approx. 8 movements. (the 5th exercise on the Vol.2 DVD).

C. Do the "sleeper" 50 20 10 very, very, very slowly. Remember: move at the speed of a shifting sand dune!!

Hope this helps.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Hello Sifu Terry,

thank you very much for your answers and clarifications - and thank you for your time.

I am happy to hear that I can try to practice DVD4 now. Also I am so excited to buy and try the last DVDs, #5 and #7 :)

So, now I also know why I have been eating not as much as months before and why I tend to buy/want more pure foods and non- or less processed foods.

Best greetings,

Julian

• Like 1

After completing the AMSW #1 meditation (50-20-10) my sleeping patterns are much more successful, but only when the meditation is completed in a minimum of forty-five minutes. For the best results sessions greater than fifty minutes seem to be required. When performing this meditation, the feeling of being drowsy is not present, but a very restful sense is within me.

When any of the Flying Phoenix meditations are performed to quickly, in my experience, only minimum, if any, achievement is made. Slowing down all the meditations provides best results. Some of these results are:

Physical:

• weighted forearms

• tingling hands/arms

• mild, pleasant, tension in the center of the forehead

• overall body warmth

• weight and heat in the tan tien

• the sense of moving through water

Eyes closed:

• blue orbs moving

• over all view of blue within the black mental screen

• occasional intense floods of emotion (not overruling)

• sensations of suggestions regarding diet and life changes

If any of these sensations have not been encountered within a meditation session, then I feel that connection has not been established. Likely causes are lack of focus, relaxation, and moving too fast. The deficiency in the latter leads to the others.

A typical morning session, which includes completing a round of Yang Tai Chi Chuan, requires two to three hours to complete.

Over the years I have found that it is very important to continue with all the meditations. Normally, in the morning, one of the basic five meditations is applied, then one of Wind Through the Tree Tops or Moonbeam splashes on the Water, and then the Long form. After, a round of Tai Chi is applied, using the shifting sand dune principle, and then completing the session with one of two seated meditations.

• Like 1

Sifu Terry,

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot.

I'm attempting to undo about 30 years of behavior modification and it's going slow :)

• Like 1

When I do Flying Phoenix, I definitely feel more warm from having increased circulation. Doing taiji or zhanzhaung though, sometimes my hands or another body part will become so warm that it's actually uncomfortable for me, and I definitely don't feel that during FPQG.

Edited by Monk Drinks Wine
  • Like 2