Marblehead

The Tao Of Nietzsche

Really?

Cate p 395..

End ref to ...writing Death of God....

'Nietzsche was still bedridden..... he was filled with a 'black melancholy' END QUOTE [Nietzsche's own words black melancholy].....

The symptoms antedated the diagnosis as was always the case with ultimately tertiary syphilis or GPI.

Sorry M, this is my day job area.

I need you to come to Florida so we can discuss this. Hehehe. Nietzsche had health problem when he was a teenager. He didn't get syphilis until much later. The 'black melancholy' you mentioned was a result of his health problems from his youth. When The Gay Science was published (the first mention of "God is dead") in 1882 he had recovered from that illness.

"God is dead" is found in Chapter 108. This was written between 1876 and 1881.

I know of no reference that states exactly when Chapter 108 was written by Nietzsche in his notes.

Poor chap was ill, knew why and feared an empty death. Contextually the latter work may be read as one long agonised wail for his mom.

Others in similar circumstance seek the solace of religion. Fred is saying....

'If I can't have it, nor can you'.

Rather bleak but there it is. Never exactly Mr. Chuckles was Fred.

I beg you to read my above post.

Curtis Cate's bio is our standard work. He did a lot of digging. Now I'm not saying he is necessarily 'right' but it kinda makes sense to me. We used to have a winter rental at Cassadaga Camp just up the way from you. I've worked there in the past. Bit too lazy to fly these days. Too much nonsense at the airports.

Curtis Cate's bio is our standard work. He did a lot of digging. Now I'm not saying he is necessarily 'right' but it kinda makes sense to me. We used to have a winter rental at Cassadaga Camp just up the way from you. I've worked there in the past. Bit too lazy to fly these days. Too much nonsense at the airports.

It is my understanding that any translation of Nietzsche by anyone other than Walter Kaufmann should be read with much caution.

I know what you mean about air travel. I am glad my world travels were finished before all this started.

Yes, the Camp is about one hour drive time from me. I have passed very close by it numerous times. Never been there though.

Cate maybe takes a more psychoanalytic turn than some I've seen. All speculation really hence the huge canon. Keeps dons in sinecures. When I did my D Fred was the poster boy of the English third wave feminist poststructuralists. [Whatever happened to them?] Jenny Ozga, Miriam David et al.

Lots of Taoists at Cassadaga during the winter. I Ching workers mainly but usually someone leading good QiGong by the pond of a morning. Always worth a visit. If nothing else they'll tell your fortune for a small consideraton.

PS

It's cheaper at the Cassadaga Hotel opposite the camp than in the actual camp. Better selection of books and gifts there too. Camp take a commission plus rent Hotel only charges rent to readers hence they charge less.

Hehehe. I had to laugh about telling my fortune. I like Chinese food and go to one of the two in my neighborhood. For some reason, a while back, I decided to not open the fortune cookie. I now have eleven fortunes waiting for me.

Yes, the english picked up on Nietzsche's writings way before we Americans did. I think it was only after the NY Times did their front page with the "God is dead" quote that Americans really started reading him.

Yeah, all those social movements die after a short while. Occupy Wall Street is dead.

True, I think that there really is not enough evidence for anyone to try to psychoanalize Nietzsche. He didn't write that much about himself that much except for his philosophy so it would be unfair to use only that as one's base.

Fred said, "To find everything profound - that is an inconvenient trait. It makes one strain one's eyes all the time, and in the end one finds more than one might have wished.

Chuang replied, "He who understands what it means to possess greatness does not seek, does not lose, does not reject, and does not change himself for the sake of things. He returns to himself and finds the inexhaustible; he follows antiquity and discovers the imperishable - this is the sincerity of the Great Man.

fred's zarathustra once had pity for the masses and was tempted to help them, but he came to view the masses with great contempt. those who sought trivia and convienence. wasnt much for kant,plato,descartes.

he rejects the body /mind dualism.

he encourages a lifestyle that most would consider reckless and immoral. well, me and pater approve

he uses hobbes' war of all against all and was it fred or heraclitus who said "live dangerously!" both?! yeah

this is not to be mis-understood as a state military operation however, coz that stuff is evil.

he agrees with neil young that it is better to burn out than to fade away

funny how i just read freud's civilization and its discontents and it coulda been fred's zarathustra.

walter kaufmann , oh yes. how in one lifetime could a person other than kaufmann translate fred, goethe, hegel, kant ?

and no one else got hegel's dialectic right cept kaufmann

of course folks who feel safe(in civilization) will tell ya freud and fred are just nut cases.

do not trust those who tell you that

he agrees with neil young that it is better to burn out than to fade away

I think Albert Camus is just about ready to say that as well. (Actually, I am pretty sure he already said it, I just have read it yet although I have read some indications that he is going to say it.)

Yeah, reading a translation of Fred is just like reading a translation of the TTC. One shouldn't read a translation of the TTC by a Buddhist monk or a Catholic Bishop.

Fred said: But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!

Chuang Tzu replied: Then, although the whole world joins in rewarding good men, there will never be enough reward; though the whole world joins in punishing evil men, there will never be enough punishment. Huge as the world is, it cannot supply sufficient reward or punishment. From the Three Dynasties on down, there has been nothing but bustle and fuss, all over this matter of rewards and punishments. How could people have any leisure to rest in the true form of their inborn nature and fate!

Vikram Seth - "God save us from people who mean well."

No one can abide an angel for long

Ahhh those two sweet princes in The Tower of London. Many a long night's guard duty in that spooky edifice I chatted to one or t'other of their wistful, plaintive shades.

It was Wyndham the Page of the Closet wot did for them and that's from the horse's mouth.

Ahhh those two sweet princes in The Tower of London. Many a long night's guard duty in that spooky edifice I chatted to one or t'other of their wistful, plaintive shades.

It was Wyndham the Page of the Closet wot did for them and that's from the horse's mouth.

Ahh, what a relief, for I always t'ought t'was I, in a fit for need of good drama and comedy did will the death of babes.

Like I said elsewhere, there is a certain sickness that has penetrated society ...

Like I said elsewhere, there is a certain sickness that has penetrated society ...

And Nietzsche recognized that over a hundred years ago and tried to tell us about it but most only scoffed at him.

Well he did have tertiary syphilis.

Tends to colour folks opinions of a speaker, him not having a nose and all.

But how did he smell?

You may ask.......

Yep, that and no antibiotics back then.

I nursed one of the very last tertiary syphilitics in England back in the late 70s.

GPI it was called. Gross Paralysis of the Insane, poor chap had to have everything done for him.

Yep, that and no antibiotics back then.

I nursed one of the very last tertiary syphilitics in England back in the late 70s.

GPI it was called. Gross Paralysis of the Insane, poor chap had to have everything done for him.

Yes, that is a very nasty disease. Easily curable now if caught in time and leaving no effects.

Keep it in your trousers, they told us on overseas familiarisation in the army.

No cause, no cure needed.

On track though, Fred wasn't always ill and he wrote some good sense.

That whole God is dead schtick is about right though I reckon.

Below a certain minimum number of believers maybe Gods sorta perish.

Metaphorically.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Indeed. Fred was ill as a youth but soon recovered. Spent a good number of years normally healthy.

And I agree, if gods have no one to believe in them they do perish.

Keep it in your trousers, they told us on overseas familiarisation in the army.

No cause, no cure needed.

On track though, Fred wasn't always ill and he wrote some good sense.

That whole God is dead schtick is about right though I reckon.

Below a certain minimum number of believers maybe Gods sorta perish.

Metaphorically.

Have you read Neil Gaiman's American Gods?

• Like 1