Marblehead

The Tao Of Nietzsche

What Friedrich Nietzsche philosophy tells us? Kill the God? Destroy morality? Well, it's not so difficult, isn't it? And many thousand people around the world are doing it every day. "Could it be possible! This old saint in the forest has not yet heard of it, that God is dead!". This quote should be a prologue to the apocalypse.

Hi Oleg,

Nice to see you in this thread.

But then the quote could also be a signal that we should shed our old useless beliefs and learn what we truely are and become all that we can become rather than staying in some hole old and useless rituals have put us in.

Yes, kill the gods that are no longer of use - the ones who keep us down instead of lifting us up.

And yes, destroy the phoney and plastic morality the hypocrites and bigots have forced upon us. By destroying the phoney morality we can live naturally according to the processes of Nature instead of the dictates of man.

Peace & Love!

Nietzsche said:

"It is nobler to declare oneself wrong than to insist on being right - especially when one is right."

What Friedrich Nietzsche philosophy tells us? Kill the God? Destroy morality? Well, it's not so difficult, isn't it? And many thousand people around the world are doing it every day. "Could it be possible! This old saint in the forest has not yet heard of it, that God is dead!". This quote should be a prologue to the apocalypse.

Nietzsche was an anti-nihilist. Read more more closely.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/nietzsche-moral-political/

Edited by mikaelz

Thank you Mikaelz.

Peace & Love!

Oh you are most welcome!

I found it really incredible that Nietzsche, prior to World War 1, predicted that the future of humanity will be increasingly nihilistic. He predicted the decline of Christianity. He saw what effect industrialization will have on the human psyche. Many philosophers credit him as the first existentialist. He really wanted to make others see existence as an opportunity for positive change, inquiry, and action. His whole philosophy is about questioning you beliefs by throwing away the shackles brought on by religious institutions. Today many live in such a decadent state, though I don't blame them. If you water your plants motor oil, they will grow to be pretty messed up. Obsessed with sensual pleasures, no desire for questioning or making something meaningful out of life, just living a sad existence these people are. The classical 'couch potato' who is simply here temporarily to watch American Idol and slave his life away. Nietzsche foresaw all this... too bad he couldn't have done more to stop it.

I like this passage so much I wanted to use it in response to Nietzsche's quote about 'right and wrong':

Perfect knowledge sees all in One. Small knowledge breaks down into the many. When the body sleeps without dream, the soul is enfolded in One. When the body wakes, the senses begin to function. They resound with every encounter with all the varied business of life, the strivings of the heart; men are blocked, perplexed, lost in doubt. Little fears eat away their peace of heart. Great fears swallow them whole. Arrows shot at a target. Hit and miss, right and wrong; that is what men call judgement, decision. Their pronouncements are as final as treaties between emperors. Out of their crooked mouths, words are retched up like vomit. O, they make their point! Yet their arguments fall faster and feebler than dead leaves in autumn and winter. Their words flow out like piss, never to be recovered. They stand at last, blocked, bound, and gagged, choked up like old drain pipes. The mind fails. It shall not see light again.

I like this passage so much I wanted to use it in response to Nietzsche's quote about 'right and wrong':

Perfect knowledge sees all in One. Small knowledge breaks down into the many. When the body sleeps without dream, the soul is enfolded in One. When the body wakes, the senses begin to function. They resound with every encounter with all the varied business of life, the strivings of the heart; men are blocked, perplexed, lost in doubt. Little fears eat away their peace of heart. Great fears swallow them whole. Arrows shot at a target. Hit and miss, right and wrong; that is what men call judgement, decision. Their pronouncements are as final as treaties between emperors. Out of their crooked mouths, words are retched up like vomit. O, they make their point! Yet their arguments fall faster and feebler than dead leaves in autumn and winter. Their words flow out like piss, never to be recovered. They stand at last, blocked, bound, and gagged, choked up like old drain pipes. The mind fails. It shall not see light again.

Where's that from MH? its brilliant!

Where's that from MH? its brilliant!

And once again I regret not notating all the translations when I put this thing together.

I'm not really sure but I believe it is from Lin Yutang's translation of Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu. If it is, it would be from his "The Wisdom Of Laotse". It is from this work that I got my idea for the work I am presenting here.

Peace & Love!

Okay. So I was outside cleaning the fish pond and your question kept bugging me. It is break time now and I have done my research.

Yes, it is from Lin Yutang. However, it is from his translation titled "The Chuang Tzu".

Specifically, Chapter 5. Deformities, or Evidence of a Full Character

Peace & Love!

Okay. So I was outside cleaning the fish pond and your question kept bugging me. It is break time now and I have done my research.

Yes, it is from Lin Yutang. However, it is from his translation titled "The Chuang Tzu".

Specifically, Chapter 5. Deformities, or Evidence of a Full Character

Peace & Love!

Thanks Marblehead,

Looks like I should buy that book.

Bet the fish pond is looking good now.

John

As far as I know, Nietzche died a madman...

to me, the only point in which his philosophy touches with taoism is that he was interested in naturalism, which meant going beyond good and evil, and i think not per se, but as an instrument to de-construct christianity...

he used it as an argument, started from there, and all the rest are his bursts of creativity... yes, he was an intelligent person, with enough guts and arrogance to revenge against the christian education that he received when he was a child...

he took things a little too far... hitting the beliefs of your parents, and your respect for them, is hitting your own kidneys, the root. When kidneys/water are weak, the upper/fire mind is most active, also arrogance is produced...

Fire consumes the water, and the person is heading towards alot of difficult situations,heart and mental problems being a few of them...

Taoism differentiates from this all by a simple thing: it has a restless urge to adapt, and mate, mediate...

Looks like I should buy that book.

The translation can be read at:

http://terebess.hu/english/lexikon/c.html

Bet the fish pond is looking good now.

It is getting there. Almost finished cleaning the waterways. I can actually see the fish now though. Hehehe. A lot more work to do out there though.

Peace & Love!

Hi Little1,

Yeah, I know. There are a lot of people who do not like Nietzsche or his philosophy. I like him because he guided me in my first solid step when I was searching for a philosophy I could follow in my life.

As far as I know, Nietzche died a madman...

Actually, it is almost certain that he died of syphilis. In the latter stages of the disease it was eating away at his brain. He was not a madman. Just an unfortunate person who had sex with an infected woman.

Peace & Love!

The translation can be read at:

http://terebess.hu/e.../lexikon/c.html

It is getting there. Almost finished cleaning the waterways. I can actually see the fish now though. Hehehe. A lot more work to do out there though.

Peace & Love!

Thanks that looks like a useful site.

John

Well, I think this thread has been silent for long enough.

Nietzsche said: The visionary lies to himself, the liar only to others.

Chuang Tzu is now gonna' think about that.

Chuang Tzu said: The unconsciousness and entire sincerity of Tao are disturbed by any effort at self-conscious demonstration. All such demonstrations are lies.

nietzche (uncle freddy biggrin.gif ) was a zorastrian and was even possessed by zarathustra.

niettzche just added some updated text to the gathas.

this being possessed by the spirit of zarathustra is a bit uncommon but not completely unknown.

other known persons that are known to have been possessed by zarathustra:

voltaire, pliny the elder, yeats, cervantes......

here i will offer some quotes. (as we all know that a quote is proof sufficient to prove anything)tongue.gif

"'That's exactly it,' replied Don Quijote, 'that's just how beautifully I've worked it all out"

"A witty saying proves nothing." voltaire

"I am of a healthy long lived race, and our minds improve with age. " yeats.

wow yeats knew of taoist immortals, obviously tho becoz he had been possessed by zarathustra biggrin.gif

"In these matters the only certainty is that nothing is certain." pliny the elder

"Anyone who has declared someone else to be an idiot, a bad apple, is annoyed when it turns out in the end that he isn't. " nietzche

Eh there's only one that i know of, and one that stuck since the first time i heard it (probably in 5'th grade)

Nietzsche said:

"That which does not kill me only makes me stronger."

And that inspired me a lot of ways.

Eh there's only one that i know of, and one that stuck since the first time i heard it (probably in 5'th grade)

Nietzsche said:

"That which does not kill me only makes me stronger."

And that inspired me a lot of ways.

Yep. That one is quoted often.

I suppose I will get back to Nietzsche one of these days.

uhmm... what's zarathustra?

What a question! To understand the answer one must present it in two phases.

First, Zarathustra was the founder of the Zoroastrian religion. It is the oldest known mono-theistic religion. It was established in the area of the world now known as Iraq and Iran. The original religion had only one god, no devil. It was taught that we were created with free will and therefore we are totally responsible for all our thoughts and action while on Earth. The followers of Zarathustra could not handle the responsibility so after Zarathustra died the leaders of the religion created a devil that could be blamed whenever man did things that were not good. The religion is still practiced today in a few parts of the world in various form.

Second, it is the title of a novel written by Nietzsche. Nietzsche basically used Zarathustra as a vehicle to present an aspect of his philosophy. Many parallels can be found between the original religion and the concepts presented by Nietzsche in his novel. It was here where he first stated "God is dead." (A finger pointing to the killing of the orginal Zoroastrian one-God concept but also to the killing of the Jewish God by the Christians through the creation of a god with vastly different attributes.) It was here that he also developed his concept of the "Superman".

Culture is a double edged sword, isn't it. It can liberate and enslave you just as easily.

You get edumacated and then need even more culture to break out of it's strong grip...

In the end, did culture make people more happy?

Apparently, the most simple cultures, the aborigenies, are the only people left on the planet that still focus on the original purpose of our human life: happiness.

There was a documentary on Discovery Channel, about some aborigenies from Vanuatu coming to visit Great Britain, to deliver a message to a person from the Royal Family, don't remember who exactly, but apparently had some connections with that tribe. Anyway, they contemplated the Western society, and said that it's most striking feature is that people forgot that the purpose of existance is to be happy, and be happy now(, not in Heavens). They were envolved in many mundane activities, as normal Westerners. Couldn't help comparing them to Crocodile Dundee :))

• Like 1

Culture is a double edged sword, isn't it.

Yeah, Nietzsche didn't have many nice things to say about the culture of his time.

BTW Nietzsche loved to dance.

for sure a day without dancing is a wasted day.

and not only had he been possessed by zarathrustra

he may have had a wee bit of buddhist in him

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering. " FN

very spiritual dude this freddy smile.gif