Marblehead

The Tao Of Nietzsche

Thor for example.

You must don't hear about him that much these days.

Those Caesars who reckoned they were Gods.. All gone.

Lug's another.

Loads of dead Gods there must be.

Have you read Neil Gaiman's American Gods?

Spot on, excellent book, that idea that immigrants sort of import their gods along with themselves.

... that idea that immigrants sort of import their gods along with themselves.

Just that phrase standing on its own seems very reasonable to me.

Of course America has also exported Gods.

There was Elvis.

Of course, we got Lennon and Clapton in exchange.

Edited by Marblehead

The number of religious sites devoted to the King is just staggering: Church of Elvis, The Eighth Day Transfigurist Cult, Elvis Séance, The Elvis Shrine, The First Church of Jesus Christ, Elvis, The Gospel of Elvis, Little Shrine to the King, and Oracle of the Plywood Elvis, and of course, The First Presleyterian Church of Elvis the Divine. The First Presleyterian Church of Elvis the Divine (FPC, ED) was the most amusing name of all those sites. Also, FPC, ED at least gets certain facts straight, unlike The First Church of Jesus Christ, Elvis, who claims that Elvis was born in Memphis. Gee, I thought everyone knew Elvis was born in Tupelo, Mississippi! One fact I did have to investigate was the claim that Elvis had a twin brother that was stillborn. My Elvis expert confirmed this. I was impressed by their inclusion of that detail. They did their homework! I was also impressed with the quality of the sermons. I only wish they had an organized gospel so that I might learn the names of all the disciples of Elvis. Just to give you an idea of the wealth of knowledge available at this site, here is a quote from a sermon entitled, “You Are Nothing, If Not a Hound Dog”: “Most of us are too busy having fun, making money, and getting laid to think much about religion. But being a reverend, not to mention being depressed, broke, and celibate, I think about it all the time.”

According to the site, Presleyterians start celebrating the birth of Elvis on December 8, which is incidentally the date that John Lennon, one of Elvis’ 13 disciples, was murdered. I also learned that three bluesmen visited the baby Elvis and offered gifts. Furry gave the baby a gallon of cheap wine. John Lee gave to the child pills of many colors, and Robert offered a can of lard. I assume that John Lee is John Lee Hooker and Robert is Robert Johnson. Furry’s identity escapes me. FPC, ED states that, in following the example of Elvis, it is a duty to overindulge. Sermons like, “The Hot Dog: Nature’s Most Perfect Food,” are designed to help believers remain steadfast in their faith. Also, a follower of Elvis would be remiss to leave out the “31 Commandments,” 31 foods that followers of Elvis must keep in their homes in case Elvis should ever be in their neighborhood. Presleyterians are also required to face Las Vegas daily and make a pilgrimage to Graceland at least once in their lives. Yes, there is also an Anti-Elvis, as well as a host of false gods, including Wayne Newton and Madonna, that true believers of Elvis must renounce. Who is the Anti-Elvis? Let’s just say that his marriage to Lisa Marie is referred to as the “Unholy Union.” All in all, FPC, ED is a site that true believers of Elvis should visit. Included in the site are the e-mail addresses of many members of Congress so that followers can request that Congress declare January 8, Elvis’ Birthday, a national holiday. Memberships are $13. They also have pricey T-shirts for sale. However, if someone you know is really into unique Elvis kitsch, and you’re not afraid to blow a little dough, the T-shirt is a good buy.

• Like 1

Like I said elsewhere, there is a certain sickness that has penetrated society ...

i call it the post-modern mindset, all too shallow and thinking only of consumerism

too much faith in science and too little in art, the flight from beauty brought on the sickness

Fred said:

"Incidentally, I despise everything which merely instructs me without increasing or immediately enlivening my activity." These are Goethe's words.

It's never plagiarism just as long as you cite the references buddy.

I sometimes see end references in assignments with x via y elsewhere as cited by a discussing b in a wiki article drawing on c that was intertextually referenced to a paper by d.

Those go straight back to the student for amendment and 'further clarification'.

It's never plagiarism just as long as you cite the references buddy.

I sometimes see end references in assignments with x via y elsewhere as cited by a discussing b in a wiki article drawing on c that was intertextually referenced to a paper by d.

Those go straight back to the student for amendment and 'further clarification'.

I don't quote others often but when I do I will do my best to properly cite the source.

Of course, many of my thoughts and understandings have their roots with others too numerous to search and define.

Regarding these quotes from Nietzsche I will always be able to make a full citation if challenges.

Hi All,

Considering the amount of attention my mention of Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche brought to the forum I thought I would post some Nietzsche quotes and see if they, in any way, relate to Taoist philosophy and if they do, in what way.

"How different nature must have appeared to the Greeks if, as we have to admit, their eyes were blind to blue and green." Friedrich Nietzsche, Daybreak

See post #695

http://thetaobums.com/topic/25582-religion-is-the-poison-of-spirituality/page__st__695

There is not enough love and goodness in the word for us to be permitted to give any of it away to imaginary things."

I see no flaws in that statement.

I see no flaws in that statement.

There is a huge flaw in such a statement. The love and goodness in the world is dependent on the hate and badness. The hope in the world is dependent on fear.

Lao Tzu correctly said, "The Tao gives birth to One. One gives birth to yin and yang. Yin and yang give birth to all things (dualistic love, goodness, hope, etc)

Most people look at love from an Abrahamic religious view,....for example, Christian love is often considered the highest love, but that too is merely a conditional love. To better understand this type of love, simply consider the Great Love Chapter of Christendom, Corinthians 13; for example, "love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things", 1 Cor 13:7.

Although this form of love, that is, bearing, believing, hoping and enduring is more commitment orientated then fleeting, it isn't Unconditional Love, but the submission, devotion, expectation and suffering to the conditions of their religions brewed beliefs.

Many of the Abrahamic faiths believe the God they invoke is love. However, in the whole of their Holy Book, the Bible, it only suggests the idea that their God is love at the very end, in the late 2nd Century apology 1John. In fact, when viewing the full length and breadth of the Bible, their Patriarch is clearly a murderous, pro-slavery, vacillant, petty, racist, conditional God. And amazingly, a God who is so insecure, that it demands to be worshiped, obeyed and prayed to.

Passionate or emotional love, is another type of conditional love. This is the love of solicitudal desire and enthralled obsession. Such love is usually, but not necessarily, accompanied by biological, chemical or instinctual love, which manifests a yearning for the welfare, possession and companionship of another. Ordinarily, emotional love is based on something received through physiological or psychological arousal, and commonly includes, as in Christian love, an attached expectation.

The Bodhisattva wish, in the above context, is not synonymous with hope or desire. Hope and desire belong to an anticipation and expectation of the future. Hope and desire ensues from the thought of lack; that things should be other than they are. A wish on the other hand, is an intention, unencumbered by predisposition; to allow Love to flow, and arrive at its own harmonium.

Individuality is incessantly convinced of its separateness; it bears, believes, hopes, and endures within a perceived encapsulated form, manifesting conditions that perpetually repeat themselves. A wish arises from the Heart of ones Essence. There is no absence of Love, anywhere; only an enshrouding by brewed beliefs and predispositions that have been built against love. Thus, to realize the love that we are, complete and without lack, we simply bring love to another through a clear presence. We cannot do that through conditions, because all conditions are in the past. Unconditional love is only in present.

There is a huge flaw in such a statement. The love and goodness in the world is dependent on the hate and badness. The hope in the world is dependent on fear.

Lao Tzu correctly said, "The Tao gives birth to One. One gives birth to yin and yang. Yin and yang give birth to all things (dualistic love, goodness, hope, etc)

Most people look at love from an Abrahamic religious view,....for example, Christian love is often considered the highest love, but that too is merely a conditional love. To better understand this type of love, simply consider the Great Love Chapter of Christendom, Corinthians 13; for example, "love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things", 1 Cor 13:7.

Although this form of love, that is, bearing, believing, hoping and enduring is more commitment orientated then fleeting, it isn't Unconditional Love, but the submission, devotion, expectation and suffering to the conditions of their religions brewed beliefs.

Many of the Abrahamic faiths believe the God they invoke is love. However, in the whole of their Holy Book, the Bible, it only suggests the idea that their God is love at the very end, in the late 2nd Century apology 1John. In fact, when viewing the full length and breadth of the Bible, their Patriarch is clearly a murderous, pro-slavery, vacillant, petty, racist, conditional God. And amazingly, a God who is so insecure, that it demands to be worshiped, obeyed and prayed to.

Passionate or emotional love, is another type of conditional love. This is the love of solicitudal desire and enthralled obsession. Such love is usually, but not necessarily, accompanied by biological, chemical or instinctual love, which manifests a yearning for the welfare, possession and companionship of another. Ordinarily, emotional love is based on something received through physiological or psychological arousal, and commonly includes, as in Christian love, an attached expectation.

The Bodhisattva wish, in the above context, is not synonymous with hope or desire. Hope and desire belong to an anticipation and expectation of the future. Hope and desire ensues from the thought of lack; that things should be other than they are. A wish on the other hand, is an intention, unencumbered by predisposition; to allow Love to flow, and arrive at its own harmonium.

Individuality is incessantly convinced of its separateness; it bears, believes, hopes, and endures within a perceived encapsulated form, manifesting conditions that perpetually repeat themselves. A wish arises from the Heart of ones Essence. There is no absence of Love, anywhere; only an enshrouding by brewed beliefs and predispositions that have been built against love. Thus, to realize the love that we are, complete and without lack, we simply bring love to another through a clear presence. We cannot do that through conditions, because all conditions are in the past. Unconditional love is only in present.

This is a shot in the dark.

As I have already said it to you several times (an example of it post #7 http://thetaobums.co...ty/#entry293264 and post # 14 http://thetaobums.co...rco#entry296791) before criticizing something, be sure to study it.

Otherwise instead of making a sound point; you are just exposing your incompetence and plain ignorance of the subject ( here the Christian love).

Edited by bubbles

Fred said:

Altered is Zarathustra; a child hath Zarathustra become; an awakened one is Zarathustra: what wilt thou do in the land of the sleepers? As in the sea hast thou lived in solitude, and it hath borne thee up. Alas, wilt thou now go ashore? Alas, wilt thou again drag thy body thyself?" Zarathustra answered: "I love mankind." "Why," said the saint, "did I go into the forest and the desert? Was it not because I loved men far too well? Now I love God: men, I do not love. Man is a thing too imperfect for me. Love to man would be fatal to me." Zarathustra answered: "What spake I of love! I am bringing gifts unto men." "Give them nothing," said the saint. "Take rather part of their load, and carry it along with them—that will be most agreeable unto them: if only it be agreeable unto thee! If, however, thou wilt give unto them, give them no more than an alms, and let them also beg for it!"