#1 Thunder_Gooch

Thunder_Gooch

Dao Bum

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4376 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...arch-grant.html

Siyaram Pandey, a biochemist at the University of Windsor, has been studying the anti-cancer potential of dandelion root extract for almost two years.

His team’s first phase of research showed that dandelion root extract forced a very aggressive and drug-resistant type of blood cancer cell, known as chronic monocytic myeloid leukemia, to essentially commit suicide.

Researchers then discovered that repeated treatment with low dose dandelion root extract was effective in killing most of the cancerous cells.

They tested the formula on several lines of commercially available leukemia cells and much to their surprise, found that the formula caused those cells to kill themselves, a process called apoptosis.

“It was startling, but it was not that startling until we saw that it was non-toxic to the normal cells,” he said.

John DiCarlo, 72, was admitted to hospital three years ago with leukemia. Even after aggressive treatment, he was sent home to put his affairs in order with his wife and four children.

The cancer clinic suggested he try the tea. Four months later, he returned to the clinic in remission. He has been cancer free for three years.

He said his doctor credits the dandelions.

• gendao, Wells, NeiChuan and 2 others said thanks
Previously Known As More_Pie_Guy

Posted Image

High Resolution Thunder_Gooch Avatar:

Spoiler

#2 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 36227 posts
  • Interests:Short Skirts and Bikinis

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

I heard about the potential of Dandelion a while back. Haven't been serious about daily intake yet but likely will add it to what I am currently taking as far as suppliments are concerned.
  • Wells, Thunder_Gooch and Formless Tao said thanks for this

I reserve the right to be wrong.

YIN-YANG.jpg I reserve the right to change my mind. Anarchy4.jpg

Peace & Contentment!

#3 Wells

Wells

~Reverse-Flash~

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 4477 posts
  • Interests:tachyons
    time travel

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

What parts of the Dandelion are used to produce the tea or extract?
Which parts where taken for the study?

Are these parts taken while the flower is yellow and blooming or when it's white and has its seeds already?

I heard you shouldn't eat them anymore as salad when it has it's seeds because it's poisenous then (the milky juice in it).

Edit: OK, I read it: ROOTS! ;)

Edited by Dorian Black, 22 April 2012 - 03:54 AM.

• Wells and Formless Tao said thanks for this

#4 joeblast

joeblast

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8329 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Yeah, you want to get them before they even start to flower, springtime is best. Once they flower the leaves get bitter and nasty, although I dont know if it changes to roots at all.

#5 Aetherous

Aetherous

only a student

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9224 posts
  • Interests:bai hao oolong

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for the info, I had no idea it was thought to work on blood cancer.

I tried this brand before...thought it tasted horrible... :lol:

http://www.amazon.co...35117076&sr=8-1
Tara's Triple Excellence Buddhist program

"Motivation is the key; discipline is the key; teamwork is the key" = basic training pushup mantras.

#6 Birch

Birch

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 5993 posts
  • Interests:Whatever works

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Boiled some up just this afternoon. Bought from chinese store in a brown paper bag. Tastes more or less alright. My acupuncturist suggested it.
  • gendao, Formless Tao and daomon said thanks for this
"Chi is free!"- "Don't give your chi to your practice" Both unknown, if you know where these come from, let me know!

#7 thelerner

thelerner

Been here long enough to know better

• Concierge
  • Pip
  • 9775 posts
  • Interests:Getting Closer to Fine
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

I wonder as a rule of thumb if anything green and 'edible' with a long root is packed with unusually healthy properties.

<edit.. I wonder if.. instead of beating my wife with a stick no wider then my thumb.. if anything green and 'edible' with a long root is packed with unusually healthy properties  ;)

Edited by thelerner, 30 January 2014 - 09:13 AM.

• Trunk, gendao and Formless Tao said thanks for this
Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experience the loss of soul. Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves. ~ Gabrielle Roth

#8 konchog uma

konchog uma

♥

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

I wonder as a rule of thumb if anything green and 'edible' with a long root is packed with unusually healthy properties.

first of all, the rule of thumb was an 1800s rule that said that a man could beat his wife with a stick as long as that stick was no wider than his thumb. So thats a pretty misogynist reference FYI

second of all, i don't think you're on to anything there, mostly because different parts of the plant are edible.. like evergreens have edible needles and long taproots but some are poisonous (hemlock) and also poison ivy has a long taproot... so i think herbology in general is more complex than general rules account for... it seems that one needs specific knowledge when approaching the plant world when hungry or in need of medicine.

#9 zerostao

zerostao

traveling cloud

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 7660 posts
  • Interests:Nature, elixirs, trees, herbs,flowers, weeds, harmony
    Spiritual Taoism

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

i tend to make some very abstract leaping points myself, but going from dandelion tea to wife beating ?
ime , a lifetime of herbal fascination and study and practice and experimentation,
there is something to the root thing.
i do agree herbology is a complex and deep area.
one man's weed is another man's herb ( i have been using this one since last friday)
http://www.botanical...h/hemloc18.html

157k for dandelion tea? good work , when you can get it. Posted Image
  • thelerner and soaring crane said thanks for this
live like an immortal
i am a brother to dragons and a companion of owls