GrandTrinity

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

thank you, but only for those who get it,

My qigongteacher sometimes rambles on about forgiveness, he mostly meets blank stares...

I'll give you another one

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

( here thinking of butterflies and some women :P , i like your butterfly collection! )

• Like 1

There are no nouns, only verbs.

You're not going to be telling me anytime soon that you and I do not exist, are you?

Gurdjieff used to say to his disciples, ’When my grandfather died I was only nine years old. He called me close to his death-bed and whispered in my ear.’ He had tremendous love for this small boy. He must have seen the potential of the boy. He whispered in the ears of the boy, ’I have nothing to give to you except a simple piece of advice, and I don’t know whether you will be able to understand it right now or not. But remember it! Some day you may become capable enough, mature enough to understand it.

"If you want to do anything wrong, postpone it for twenty-four hours. And if you want to do something right, never postpone it even for a single moment. If you want to be angry, violent, aggressive, postpone it for twenty-four hours. If you want to be loving, sharing, do not postpone it even for a single moment. Just live it right now, immediately!’

And Gurdjieff used to say to his disciples, ’That simple advice transformed my whole life.’ How can you be angry if you can postpone it for twenty-four hours? It is impossible. To be so calm and quiet as to postpone it for twenty-four hours is enough guarantee that you are not going to be angry. And who can be angry if he can postpone it for twenty-four hours? Twenty-four hours of contemplation, and the whole absurdity will be plain to you: the whole thing will look ridiculous.

And Gurdjieff was really transformed by this simple message. Sometimes very simple messages can transform you, but you have to live them.

from Book of Secrets.

• Like 2

"If you want to do anything wrong, postpone it for twenty-four hours. And if you want to do something right, never postpone it even for a single moment. If you want to be angry, violent, aggressive, postpone it for twenty-four hours. If you want to be loving, sharing, do not postpone it even for a single moment. Just live it right now, immediately!’

Beautiful!

_s8s.jpg

tried to make image smaller...didn't work

• Like 2

That should have been something I had said in the past but I never have, nor have I ever read or heard the quote before.

Awareness is not an artifact of thought, awareness is what is left when thought is taken out of the equation. Wanna solve a math problem? Engage the rational mind. Wanna wrap your head around quantum gravity? Engage the rational mind. Wanna describe beauty? Engage the rational mind. Wanna experience beauty? Disengage the rational mind. Wanna experience awareness? Disengage the rational mind.

Bear in mind, though -- the rational mind will want to argue.

By Tao Bums Brian

• Like 1

"More important is not the nature of the ego, but the problem of identification with it as the me, the I, or myself. The ego was inherited as an it, and is actually an impersonal it. The problem arises because one personalizes and identifies with it. That it of the ego structure is not unique or individual, and it is relatively similar (with karmic variations) in everyone. What really varies from individual to individual is the degree to which one is enslaved by its programs. The degree of dominance is therefore determined by the extent to which one identifies with it. Inherently, it has no power, and the power to decline the egos programs increases exponentially as one progresses spiritually. That is the real meaning of the Map of Consciousness. What the majority of people think to be truth is, in reality, opinions."

From dissolving the ego, realizing the Self, contemplations from the teachings of David R Hawkins.

• Like 1

"I don't have any personal history," he said after a long pause. "One day I found out that personal history was no longer necessary for me and, like drinking, I dropped it."

I did not quite understand what he meant by that. I suddenly felt ill at ease, threatened. I reminded him that he had assured me that it was all right to ask him questions. He reiterated that he did not mind at all.

"I don't have personal history any more," he said and looked at me probingly. "I dropped it one day when I felt it was no longer necessary."

I stared at him, trying to detect the hidden meanings of his words.

"How can one drop one's personal history?" I asked in an argumentative mood.

"One must first have the desire to drop it," he said. "And then one must proceed harmoniously to chop it off, little by little."

"Why should anyone have such a desire?" I exclaimed.

I had a terribly strong attachment to my personal history. My family roots were deep. I honestly felt that without them my life had no continuity or purpose.

"Perhaps you should tell me what you mean by dropping one's personal history," I said.

"To do away with it, that's what I mean," he replied cuttingly.

I insisted that I must not have understood the proposition.

"Take you for instance," I said. "You are a Yaqui. You can't change that."

"Am I?" he asked, smiling. "How do you know that?"

"True!" I said. "I can't know that with certainty, at this point, but you know it and that is what counts. That's what makes it personal history."

I felt I had driven a hard nail in.

"The fact that I know whether I am a Yaqui or not does not make it personal history," he replied. "Only when someone else knows that does it become personal history. And I assure you that no one will ever know that for sure."

Constantly regard the universe as one living being, having one substance and one soul; and observe how all things have reference to one perception, the perception of this one living being; and how all things act with one movement; and how all things are the cooperating causes of all things that exist; observe too the continuous spinning of the thread and the structure of the web.

— Marcus Aurelius

Wrætlic is þes wealstan, Wyrde gebræcon;
Burgstede burston, Brosnaþ enta geweorc.
Hrofas sind gehrorene, Hreorge torras

[Well wrought this wall:  Wyrd broke it.
The stronghold burst . . . 
Snapped rooftrees, towers fallen.]

"Your principal mistake consists in thinking that you always have consciousness, and in general, either that consciousness is always present or that it is never present. In reality consciousness is a property which is continually changing. Now it is present, now it is not present. And there are different degrees and different levels of consciousness. Both consciousness and the different degrees of consciousness must be understood in oneself by sensation, by taste. No definitions can help you in this case and no definitions are possible so long as you do not understand what you have to define. And science and philosophy cannot define consciousness because they want to define it where it does not exist. It is necessary to distinguish consciousness from the possibility of consciousness. We have-only the possibility of consciousness and rare flashes of it. Therefore we cannot define what consciousness is."

• Like 1

It is only by chance that the stranger needing help is not your mother, father, sibling, friend or even yourself.  Help them as you would your family and create a bit of happiness for them, yourself and the world will be a little better for it.

• Like 1

It is intellectually accepted that the energy of sound is composed of vibrations, but how many people regard sound in this way? Opening oneself so that the vibrational patterns of incoming sound can merge with one’s personal vibrational receptors, and then allowing the physiology to react without blocking, is rare.

This allowing oneself to be touched and moved by vibrational patterns is an important dimension of healing, or apprehending the invisible world, of being fully alive. In this way, we can maintain contact with the universe and the magical forces of Nature. Receiving sound and merging with it is our true energic nature. It balances, it moves with our energies, never remaining still. This is the expression of pure life. Buddhists call it the Dharma, Chinese chi,Christians spirit, the ancients, Harmonices Mundi –the Music of the Spheres.

~ Linden Thorp

41. If one listens with undivided attention to the sounds of string instruments and others which are played successively and are prolonged, then one becomes absorbed in the supreme ether of consciousness.

Vijnanabhairava tantra
Lakshman Joo translation

41. By being totally present to song, to music, enter spatiality with each sound which rises and dissolves into it.

Vijnanabhairava tantra
Daniel Odier translation

73. When the mind of a yogi is one with the unparalleled joy of music and other (aesthetic delights), then he is identified with it due to the expansion of his mind which has merged with it.

Vijnanabhairava tantra
Lakshman Joo translation

73. Merge in the joy felt at the time of musical pleasure or pleasure from other senses. If you immerse in this joy, you reach the divine.

Vijnanabhairava tantra
Daniel Odier translation

• Like 2

You're welcome MH!

I'm glad you found it supportive it but I have to confess that I was actually helping out my good friend and fellow Buddhist @C T (post # 795).

:)

• Like 1