GrandTrinity

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

You're welcome MH!

I'm glad you found it supportive it but I have to confess that I was actually helping out my good friend and fellow Buddhist @C T (post # 795).

:)

Well done for that too!!!  C T needs all the help he can get.

• Like 1

Today, like every other day, we wake up empty

and frightened. Don't open the door to the study
and begin reading. Take down a musical instrument.

Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

- Rumi

Edited by 9th
  • Like 1

He who seeks,

let him not cease seeking until he finds;

and when he finds;

he will be troubled,

and when he is troubled; 

he will be amazed,

and he will reign over the totality.

- Gospel of Thomas

• Like 2

The cat that jumps is not the same cat that lands. ~ julian barbour

• Like 2

From a Humphrey Bogart movie I watched last night:

I was born when I met her,

I lived while she loved me,

I died when she left me.

A new study shows that people will believe anything they are told if you put the words "A new study shows" in front of it.  

-- seen on the internet

• Like 2

A new study shows that people will believe anything they are told if you put the words "A new study shows" in front of it.  

-- seen on the internet

Or "Scientists discover..."  ^_^

• Like 2

I felt then, as I feel now, that the politicians who took us to war should have been given the guns and told to settle their differences themselves, instead of organising nothing better than legalised mass murder.

Harry Patch  Veteran of World War 1

• Like 2

This one really rang my bell.

"Just because you feel something deeply doesn't make it true.  Because a belief is heart-felt doesn't make it true. People with opposing heart-felt beliefs often end up judging, hurting, even killing, one another. It's time to stop equating your beliefs, however deeply you feel them, with truth. Doing so creates misunderstanding, separation, and suffering. You're certainly entitled to your beliefs. We all are. But you're not entitled to call them true just because you feel them deeply. Truth demands far more than strong feelings." ~ Dennis Lewis

I had an insight years ago that has always served me well, reminding me to reject my basic assumptions and continually question my perceptions. 

Don't believe everything you think, just because you thought it, doesn't make it real, true, or important.

Following Mr. Lewis' share, I've adapted it to:

Don't believe everything you think.  Just because you thought it and felt it deeply doesn't make it real, true, or important.

So often, the emotions brought on by a thought, engenders a similar thought, that reinforces and magnifies the emotion, creating a chain of inertia that can last for days, decades, or even a life time.

• Like 3

As far as I understand it, when you feel something deeply, this is just an indicator that it means a lot to you. It has nothing to do with its validity.

That quote would have helped me out a lot when I was a Christian. Talk about feeling something deeply and believing it was true! I am so thankful I have since learned better...

Edited by DreamBliss
  • Like 1

I have a bunch that I write down from reading, but here's one of my favourites:

"A truly good man is not aware of his goodness, and is therefore good. A foolish man tries to be good, and is therefore not good. A truly good man does nothing, yet nothing is left undone. A foolish man is always doing, yet much remains to be done." - Lao Tzu.

• Like 1

mellow is the man who knows what he's been missing

many many men can't see the open road

many is the word that only leaves you guessing

guessing about a thing you really ought to know

- robert plant

• Like 1

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

-Socrates

• Like 1

He, who said you can't buy happiness,

forgot to mention that you can stop selling it.

• Like 1