sean

What are you listening to?

Got me on Steve Jordan. Went to look him up and made a wrong turn and ended up in John Mayer's band. Not a bad place to be but a far cry from Esteban. 

• Like 1

I have only one CD of Esteban's.  Bought it the same time I bought Flaco's CD.

I know the experience you had and have been there many times.  YouTube will take us astray in a heartbeat but I think it is still the best resource for finding examples of an artist's works.

I didn't quite get finished with my editing.  Had to give my eyes a break and fell asleep.  But I already have things rolling this morning.

Another artist you might check out is Isidro Lopez - one of the original Tejano/Conjunto artists.

That reminds me. Someone I have not listened to in a while is the Everly Brothers. I'll have to dig out one of their "Best of" CDs.

I've never had a lot of money to spend on music. So, I have to rely on compilations - Best of - Essentials - to cover my interests. If it weren't for YouTube I would not be able to expand my horizons much.

Very unique and beautiful.  I liked the way she moved the tuning props after "Born to be wild".

And she really got into her music a couple times too.

That's remarkable. Have always enjoied the sound of asian instrumentation.

I am particularly fond of the guqin. My Taiji teacher would play guqin music as we did our forms. Really set the mood for being relaxed and expressive in our form. I have several CDs of this style of music that I like to play when I am reading.

Here is a sample.

• Like 2

I have some traditional Korean music playing here this morning.

But the first thing I did this morning when I sat down at the computer was to play the 45 RPM record of Ivo Robic singing "Morgen".  Sounded great.  Just a couple little pop from dust in the grooves.  Not bad for a record that is nearly 60 years old.

Something I never really noticed before about the traditional Korean music I never picked up on before is that the music is totally Yang.  Likely a reflection of their culture, the people, and might even do a little in explaining North Korea of today.

Edited by Marblehead

Korean music totally yang!? 

Don't think I understand that. How does one characterize music - Korean or otherwise - as yin or yang? Question might lead to a separate thread of its own.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, OldDog said:

Korean music totally yang!? 

Don't think I understand that. How does one characterize music - Korean or otherwise - as yin or yang? Question might lead to a separate thread of its own.

Yeah, responding to the question would indeed evolve into another discussion that is not needed here in this thread.

I would address your question if you start a thread about it though.

12 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Today is a Bluegrass day.

Hide contents

Couldn't help but enjoy that!

Brought to mind :

"Why don't you rock my soul?"

( in the bosom of Abraham)

• Like 2

This entire 70s album is SUCH a great album.

And it's a sign of how much music has changed: half this album is HUMOR songs - You don't mess around with Jim, Bad bad Leroy Brown, Roller derby queen, Rapid Roy the stock car boy, Car wash blues

You don't see that any more, for sure.

And it's nice folk and folk-pop and even a country/western vibe now and then. Some beautiful tunes.

Croce has a "side man" on some tunes who is just awesome on the guitar.

• Like 2

Spoiler

18:11 - "Vanvidd" (Frenzy)

Lyrics: En forskremt skikkelse i skyggen, fillete og fattig, men vakker og rik, fælen og forvridd, men ingen stakkar: hun gjemmer seg så godt hun kan. Hun er forhatt av de fleste, men elsket av de aller beste. Reiser gjerne langt og lenge, hun går alene, barbeint i skiten, på ubrukte veier, gjengrodde stier, i dyretrakk og farlige leier. Oppover, til himmelens rand i lasten; galskap i bøtter og spann. Himmelen revner når hun når opp: hymnen tar slutt for saueflokk. Lyse lokker, lure smil, blåe blikk, bak sjalet melkehvit hud, kritthvite tenner. Latteren skremmer de fleste.

Lyrics (English):

A terrified creature in the shadows,

tattered and poor, but beautiful and rich,

frightened and twisted, but no miserable wretch;

she hides as best she can.

Hated by most,

but loved by the best.

She gladly travels long (time) and long (distance),

she walks alone, barefooted in the dirt,

on unused ways, on overgrown paths,

in animal tracks and dangerous lairs.

Upwards, towards the edge of the sky

carrying buckets full of madness.

The sky cracks when she arrives;

the flock of sheep ends its hymn.

Light hair, cunning smiles,

a blue gaze behind her shawl,

skin white as milk, teeth white as chalk.

Her laughter scares most of us.

Shame on you for calling Robert Johnson "Rock & Roll".

(But yes, we can call him one of the roots of Rock & Roll.)

He actually has the title of "Father of Delta Blues".

One really great artist.

I'm listening to Bluegrass music this morning.  At the moment the Osborne Brothers:

Spoiler