sean

What are you listening to?

This one always prompts a dance session in our living room, no matter when I play it.

Edited by silent thunder
edit to fix link
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, windwalker said:

My wife grew up in Germany and had this tape in her car when we were dating.  29 years later, I still have this tape sitting on my desk, next to Zamfir pan flute master and U2 Joshua Tree... lol  thanks for the memory jog mate!

I'm petty eclectic in my music. Right now am stuck in a bluegrass groove ... started by an early Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (yeah, I was surprised as anyone) CD that a friend turned me on to. From there to Ralph Stanley, Del McCoury, Doyle Lawson and the list goes on. Usually takes me a few weeks to break out, although at one point I got turned on to traditional Celtic and didnt come back for a couple of years, Ha!

• Like 4

Yeah, Bluegrass music has many of its roots in Celtic music.  I just two weeks ago burned two CDs of Ralph Stanley music for one of my sister-in-laws.

When I'm listening to Bluegrass music I want to hear a banjo and fiddle or at least one of the two.

Here's a couple banjo pickers:

Spoiler

• Like 1

Townes Van Zandt is great. Being from Texas there is a whole genre of local singer song writers. Others include Guy Clark, Robert Earl Keen, Jerry Jeff Walker, Billy Joe Shaver. 

Check em out if you like that kind of music.

• Like 1

Well, I kinda put Bob Wills in a different genre, Texas style swing, which while great to listen to, is also dance music. A good friend of mine, Bobby Flores, has a band that plays this kind of music and does well playing in Texas dance halls. Also in this genre you can place Ray Price, Johnny Bush, Jake Hooker (father and son), Curtis Potter and others. Pretty old school but still very popular in dance halls.

• Like 2

Bob Wills! Wow that's a lovely blast from the past. :-)

My dad's been a C&W musician since long before I was around, he's nearly 80 now. Guitar pickin' -- Chet Atkins groove preference, but he's from the old days so he was bred on Johnny B Good etc., since "country" music only came around later after music started further dividing into genres. I think he'd call Bob Wills "Western" music -- as opposed to today's "Country" music (which for the most part, excepting a few, is about as pop as the Eagles slow stuff in the 70s, with a specific stylization).

He also plays steel guitar, which I find nearly incomprehensible -- 12 strings, 4 knee pedals, 5 foot pedals, key of E flat, and he transposes key in his head with the band -- while singing harmony, when not singing lead. The man has more talent in a finger than I'll ever have, and I played most instruments and sang pretty naturally from a young age (although songwriting was my thing and never his). My whole life he was the band leader man in black (yeah, like Cash, who actually lived in our town), looked more like a young Waylon (before his braid days), and played weekend honky tonks. He had a 'day job' (helped build up and ran a very large instrument store from my ages 5-18 in southern California) but the weekends for music were his reason for life.

We took him to see/meet Chet at a small venue not long before Atkins died. Dad put music on reel-to-reel -- Western, and Country, and other stuff, also some rock and pop -- 4-6 hours of a given artist that would play in the background all day through my childhood, as his wives (count them, five) were all music lovers. He still plays, with a band he says affectionately is a train wreck -- old men having fun. One of them, his son is one of the guys in Rascal Flatts, he's so (rightfully) proud. He also plays a one-man band gig pretty regularly, and they LOVE Western music -- a lot of senior centers have dance events and they just eat that stuff up.

I'm just rambling. :-)  I love my dad. It's so crazy watching people (me too! I'm 52) get old. Music is one of the 'anchor' emotional things in my life.

RC

• Like 3

6 hours ago, OldDog said:

Well, I kinda put Bob Wills in a different genre, Texas style swing, which while great to listen to, is also dance music. A good friend of mine, Bobby Flores, has a band that plays this kind of music and does well playing in Texas dance halls. Also in this genre you can place Ray Price, Johnny Bush, Jake Hooker (father and son), Curtis Potter and others. Pretty old school but still very popular in dance halls.

And "Asleep At The Wheel" is doing its best to carry on Bob's tradition.

1 hour ago, redcairo said:

Bob Wills! Wow that's a lovely blast from the past. :-)

My dad's been a C&W musician since long before I was around, he's nearly 80 now. Guitar pickin' -- Chet Atkins groove preference, but he's from the old days so he was bred on Johnny B Good etc., since "country" music only came around later after music started further dividing into genres. I think he'd call Bob Wills "Western" music -- as opposed to today's "Country" music (which for the most part, excepting a few, is about as pop as the Eagles slow stuff in the 70s, with a specific stylization).

Great stuff about your dad.  My dad could have been that way but he became an alcoholic instead.  That ruined his life.

And yes, Bob Wills is properly classified as a "Western Swing, or Texas Swing" artist.  My Country music interests are from that period up to the end of the Rock-A-Billy era.  Country then went in a direction I didn't want to follow although I do have some Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash music in my collection.

With some songs the original will always remain the best regardless of who does a cover of it.

Here's a guitar player who never got the recognition he so well deserved:

Spoiler

• Like 2

True enough. Bo Diddley rivaled Chuck Berry in his day, as I recall. Both emerged as Rock n Roll was just taking off. They showed the world what could be done with an electric guitar. After that it was all history. So many excellent guitar players since. Among my favorite dvds are the Eric Clapton Guitar Festival dvds. I never tire of watching great guitarists perform.

• Like 2

True enough. Bo Diddley rivaled Chuck Berry in his day, as I recall. Both emerged as Rock n Roll was just taking off. They showed the world what could be done with an electric guitar. After that it was all history. So many excellent guitar players since. Among my favorite dvds are the Eric Clapton Guitar Festival dvds. I never tire of watching great guitarists perform.

• Like 1