sean

What are you listening to?

I liked the Monkees! I especially liked "Last Train to Clarksville."

Tom Petty is the only person who writes really simple 4/4 time music that I actually really like. Some of his stuff (like Free Falling, Learning to Fly, etc. which is sort of the archetype of his style) is just sort of so-simple-its-genius. I hadn't heard that song Face in the Crowd above -- thanks!

I remember being really moved by a line in his song 'Refugee' when I was young (and he was barely older then) that said something like,

Somewhere, somehow

Somebody must have kicked you around some

Who knows, maybe you were kidnapped, tied up,

Taken away and held for ransom

Honey, it don't really matter to me (baby)

Everybody's had to fight to be free

You see you don't have to live like a refugee

It sort of put life in perspective a little, that someone was basically saying yeah, you suffered, BFD really who doesn't? Find a way to move on. It's a good message since many people like me at that age are so lost in their still-seeing-everything-through-the-trauma-of-their-past it's hard to realize that really... we're not special. Nearly everybody has it. Whether we learn to get up and find a way to keep moving on is the only question and you know, most other people are doing it, so it's gotta be do-able... boy that was a long time ago.

You know what group I recently realized I utterly love and yet mysteriously have no albums from, is the Hollies. This is a playlist but the first song "The Air That I Breathe" is a lovely languid-blissful resting-in-the-Tao-after-sex kind of thing (really, from the lyrics!).

RC

• Like 1

A side note to that song:

It was written and first recorded by Hank Ballard and the Midnighters.  The producers wouldn't release their cut of the song because they decided it would be a good song for an artist they were trying to promote; Chubby Checker.

It was a very big hit for Chubby and that secured him in the music industry.

Hank's original cut was finally release much later, after the sales of Chubby's cover stopped selling.

I have no Black Keys in my collection but based on the little I have heard from them I have nothing negative to say about the group.  I always enjoyed any song I heard from them.

My mood this morning caused me to run my Bluegrass collection.

• Like 1

Home Free has a new video-song. I LOVE THESE GUYS. I support them on Patreon, I just think they're awesome -- it's a men's acapella group (with vocal percussion/instrumentation).

They have pop, country, folk, some gospel and a lot of christmas stuff. This is a sort of easy listening country-folk-madrigal cover from Zak Brown Band. They're from Minnesota and Texas.

If you like harmony, these are your guys. This is a song called "Colder Weather" but I'm using the link for my playlist of them that it's in.

RC

Edited by redcairo

One reason I like these guys is because they basically do bass and percussion via vocals and a lot of their stuff I don't miss the instruments at all.

RC

• Like 1

Back in the old days, The Mills Brothers would do music acapella but they would also vocalize the instruments that would normally be in a song.

Bluegrass music carries on the tradition of acapella.  It is heard mostly with religious/spiritual songs.