宁

The Book That Changed Your Life - What Was It?

Why Lazarus Laughed, Wei Wu Wei

It was a difficult read, but that forced me to really think about what he was trying to say a few sentences at a time. Honestly, I still don't 'get' all of it but over time a lot of the content has become a lot clearer.

In roughly chronological order.

Valis by Phillip K Dick

Cosmic Trigger 1 by Robert Anton Wilson

Mantak Chia's purple book (forget exact title, the sex one)

Collected works of Barry Long

Energy Meditation by Chok Hiew.

Five is the new three, but you knew that, yes?

:)

i see so many more great books I'd love to read!

Thanks to those who posted their threeish books!

And to Little1 for asking!

Some good stuff up here!

Edited by shontonga

Great topic.

For me, it was The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Doestoevsky. An excellent treatise on man and God, as well as the first novel ever written that contained a courtroom trial. This book profoundly influenced my views of spirituality and human motivation. Also, it shattered my belief in science. I read the Brothers K in my mid 20's and until today, 30 years later, I continue to hold beliefs Doestoevsky expounded in the book.

free bible quote john (oddly 1 ?), then 14-16

:)

Stole this link from a bum in another thread someplace along the way!

Just for anyone who is curious but doesn't have that book around!

Thanks for the work on that, but that is the wrong one...

Just the regular ole gospel of John, when he is basically giving last instructions to his deciples the night before his death.

...Mantak Chia's purple book (forget exact title, the sex one)...

1) Taoist Secrets of Love-Cultivating Male Sexual Energy:

Affected my Life in the most profound way imaginable...humility dictates that I not discuss how...may offer the book which relates said for publication posthumously. May you live longer than I :)

2) Tibetan Book of the Dead:

Irrespective of how one conduct's one's self in Life, all should know how to conduct one's self upon Death. Feel deep sorrow for those with no knowledge of it's content. Feel even deeper sorrow for those that know of it's existence but have no knowledge of it's content.

Since the following are really the same book, by the same author, written 50 years apart gonna count them together as number 3...

3a) Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymus Bosch:

Henry Miller's treatise on how to Live one's Life as a young man. Modern (late 1940's) day parallel to Bosch's The Millennium...an autobiographical discourse on making one's own paradise and the...joy...of being...simple.

3b) On Turning Eighty:

Henry Miller's treatise on how to Live one's Life as an old man. Written on his eightieth birthday...reportedly in two hours. Makes hearts smile :).

How's this for an opening paragraph?..."If at eighty you're not a cripple or an invalid, if you have your health, if you still enjoy a good walk, a good meal (with all the trimmings), if you can sleep without first taking a pill, if birds and flowers, mountains and sea still inspire you, you are a most fortunate individual and you should get down on your knees morning and night and thank the good Lord for his savin' and keepin' power. If you are young in years but already weary in spirit, already on the way to becoming an automaton, it may do you good to say to your boss-under your breath, of course-"Fuck you, Jack! You don't own me!" If you can whistle up your ass, if you can be turned on by a fetching bottom or a lovely pair of teats, if you can fall in love again and again, if you can forgive your parents for the crime of bringing you into the world, if you are content to get nowhere, just take each day as it comes, if you can forgive as well as forget, if you can keep from growing sour, surly, bitter and cynical, man you've got it half licked."

How to conduct one's self as a young man, how to conduct one's self as an old man, how to conduct one's self upon Death and how to transcend the human experience to become aware of one's self bereft of ego and thus know the Tao...what else is there?

These books have not so much changed my Life as have they formed it :)

Xeno,

Your life book that you shared from your heart made a difference in my life. Just so you know. Thanks.

Spec

For me, way before I knew what Taoism or Buddhism or Eastern anything was, Clive Barker's "Weaveworld" rocked my sense of reality. There's a brilliant moment where a man is falling from high up downwards towards an ancient woven carpet, but in that carpet is another universe, another dimension and he describes the air, sounds, smell and everything changing as he falls from one dimension into another, it blew my mind. I was a young teenager, and this introduction to the idea of multiple dimensions, written so well I could feel that it was a description of a large truth, forever altered me, I've been a seeker ever since, and a knower of the reality of multiple dimensions.

The Way of Chuang Tzu

The Tao Te Ching

The Tao of Pooh

Shankara's Crest-Jewel of Discrimination

These books didn't change my life so much as they changed my perspective on it. Especially Chuang Tzu's book for teaching me that happiness is not to be "sought" and Shankara for teaching me the importance of holding fast to that which is real and lasting and detaching from the impermanent.

If I had to choose one book only, it would have to be The Integral Yoga by Sri Aurobindo.

Runner's up would be; Illusions by Richard Bach

The way of Zen by Alan Watts

The wisdom of insecurity by Alan Watts

The Book...on the taboo against knowing who you are by Alan Watts

The Synthesis of Yoga by Sri Aurobindo

Awaken healing energy through the Tao by Mantak Chia

Honorable mention goes to;

The only dance there is by Ram Dass

Miracles of Love by Ram Dass

Be here now by Ram Dass

Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman

I am That by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Chronicles of Tao by Deng Ming Dao

The book of Macrobiotics by Michio Kushi

The Mother by Sri Aurobindo

The Mother by Adilakshmi

Answers by Mother Meera

The Adventure of Consciousness by Satprem

I'm sure there are a few more...

Edited by bindo

Thank you guys and gals, i'm glad you like the thread too.

I'd add some spice to the plot by adding another question: which of those books you'd take with yourself on a desert island :lol:

Ok, ok, i know it's hard to decide... would you make a list?

I forgot about Ouspensky's books... I loved those alot.

I'm still laughing about donkey love lol a cousin of mine came back from Tijuana talking about the same thing :lol:

for me probably "the moth comes to the flame; volumes 1 & 2" by John Roberts

Its a collection of bits of conversation with a recluse by the name of Peter Ragnar

and it's sheer practicality was amazing to me. Very uplifting and empowering.

The one book that really accelerated my life was The Light Shall Set You Free, by Norma J. Milanovich. I dont read the book anymore, and I dont need it, but I still get the chills when thinking about how it felt first time I opened it. I love to just keep it in my bookshelf and see that it is there.

After reading "Shadow Strategies of an American Ninja Master" by Glenn Morris I heard the faint click of a key opening a locked door.

Thank you guys and gals, i'm glad you like the thread too.

I'd add some spice to the plot by adding another question: which of those books you'd take with yourself on a desert island :lol:

Ok, ok, i know it's hard to decide... would you make a list?

I forgot about Ouspensky's books... I loved those alot.

Boat building 101.

The Sutras that really helped me put things into perspective : Shurangama Sutra, Diamond Sutra, 6th Patriarch's Diamond Platform Sutra, Buddha Speaks Amitabha Sutra, Liao Fan's Four Lessons, Confucius' Di Zi Gui.

Many more, but these really helped to put things into perspective... :)

• Like 1

The Sutras that really helped me put things into perspective : Shurangama Sutra, Diamond Sutra, 6th Patriarch's Diamond Platform Sutra, Buddha Speaks Amitabha Sutra, Liao Fan's Four Lessons, Confucius' Di Zi Gui.

Many more, but these really helped to put things into perspective... :)

I love the Platform Sutra! Just re-read it again the other day. :) Coincidentally, I started studying the Diamond Sutra again a few nights ago too. I seem to have to take it one thought at a time. :)

Hello

The book that changed my life is The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ by Joseph Jr Smith.

This book always change my life and give me inspirations when i read it.

It is also my most favorite book of all the books i had read! It is a book of my ancestors!

Here it is a deluxe edition of the book:

http://www.experiencepress.org/PageStoreIt...s.asp?id=100204

Good Bye

Hello

The book that changed my life is The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ by Joseph Jr Smith.

This book always change my life and give me inspirations when i read it.

It is also my most favorite book of all the books i had read! It is a book of my ancestors!

Here it is a deluxe edition of the book:

http://www.experiencepress.org/PageStoreIt...s.asp?id=100204

Good Bye

Wasn't expecting that one!! Thanks!

:D